Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

blizzardvizard posted:

Nale isn't coming back to life, maybe, but I think he's going to return to the story at some point. Rich showing Sabine exploding and Lawful Evil souls being dumped into Lee's 'inbox' after Nale got disintegrated suggests Rich is not done with him yet. He's probably going to be the Fiends' pawn or something.

I doubt Nale is coming back. Maybe he gets a brief cameo if there's a scene in the afterlife for...whatever flavor of Evil he was, I forget. But I think Sabine is the only one from that bunch that's ever going to have another part to play.

...then again, I never would have predicted Crystal showing up again, so who knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Nale was Lawful Evil, the opposite of Elan's Chaotic Good, of course. Which would put him in Director Lee's inbox.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
Since Rich couldn't let Crystal go after she'd served her story purpose I'm sure Nale could come back to kill story momentum as well.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Crystal was always going to come back, either directly or as a plot point. You don't have a character sneak in and murder their rival in cold blood and then just have it never brought up again.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Speaking of which, I'd lay good odds on Sabine showing up soon. If she'd appeared any earlier, it would raise the question "Why did Haley, a crafty dirty fighter with access to significant resources, not have something planned to deal with Sabine immediately?"

Now that we've seen that she did take precautions, but that they've been spent, the door is open for Sabine to appear and still (be a legitimate threat)/(have breathing room to negotiate a temporary truce with the OotS).

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
She only exited the strip like a week ago, for the OOtS members. And only seventy comics or so ago for book readers. It might have been a year ago for us but I don't think the time is right.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

That said, if she appears again later in the arc, there's a good excuse. You know, in 2017 or something.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
The protagonists don't get to actually kill anybody. Only villain on villain, or more generally, NPC on NPC kills get to stick.

Shaking lemur butt
Jan 5, 2015

:haw: :v: :ohdear: :cool:

First panel here has some nice foreshadowing I hadn't noticed before. Not that I can remember anything from before the desert anyway.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?
So, if optimistically there are 200 more strips left in this arc, and one more arc left to go after this, at current release schedule...

:(

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

DoctorTristan posted:

So, if optimistically there are 200 more strips left in this arc, and one more arc left to go after this, at current release schedule...

:(

It's a race to the finish between OotS and A Song of Ice and Fire

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Colonial Air Force posted:

At least at this point I still have hope of being satisfied with Order of the Stick rather than just "I've read this far, I may as well see it to the end."

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Colonial Air Force posted:

Wheel of time beat them all to that line.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

A.o.D. posted:

The protagonists don't get to actually kill anybody. Only villain on villain, or more generally, NPC on NPC kills get to stick.

Belkar->recurring chimera boss monster
Belkar->Yik Yik
Durkon->Zztri
Vaarsuvius->Therkla's boss

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Random Stranger posted:

At least at this point I still have hope of being satisfied with Order of the Stick rather than just "I've read this far, I may as well see it to the end."

You could give up on the books and accept the tv series as the Canon story. It'll work out better in the end.

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice

ikanreed posted:

Belkar->Yik Yik
Durkon->Zztri

Vaarsuvius-> 25% of all black dragons (and a bunch of humans descended from black dragons)

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

ikanreed posted:

Belkar->Yik Yik
Durkon->Zztri
Correction, protagonists don't get to kill anyone important.

Zztrid (or however the gently caress that's spelled) doesn't count because it wasn't actually Durkon who killed him.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Johnny Aztec posted:

Wheel of time beat them all to that line.

Only by hiring a guy that writes novellas on trans-oceanic flights after Jordan died.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Thog is dead, and the only reason we didn't see a body is so Tarquin could do a fake out as Thog later.

Roy killed Thog :colbert:

And V killed the Draketooths, that counts.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Only by hiring a guy that writes novellas on trans-oceanic flights after Jordan died.

This isn't really the place for it, but is Brandon Sanderson seen as a poo poo writer? His name keeps popping up in places, and I've been wondering if he's at all decent at it.

(He also does a lovely podcast with the writer of Schlock Mercenary and some other authors, it's fifteen minutes long and has just enough time to give a tip or two about the writing process before they give up.)

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
Mistborn Trilogy was pretty good.

Kadath
Aug 17, 2004

Put Your 'Lectric Eye On Me, Babe
Grimey Drawer

HisMajestyBOB posted:

The first half of the book read like a really long tutorial mission in an action rgp the way it described the magic system and increasingly unlocked powers. The next two books expanded on things in a really cool way and had an interesting take on the whole legend and destiny thing.

The wheel of time books he did were some of the best ones since he actually got to the loving point and told a story instead of having characters wander through the woods or talk about dresses while they got captured for the 14th time.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

HisMajestyBOB posted:

As was "Emperor's Soul".

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Kajeesus posted:

Thog is dead, and the only reason we didn't see a body is so Tarquin could do a fake out as Thog later.

You're nuts if you think we've seen the last of Thog.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

rotinaj posted:

This isn't really the place for it, but is Brandon Sanderson seen as a poo poo writer? His name keeps popping up in places, and I've been wondering if he's at all decent at it.

(He also does a lovely podcast with the writer of Schlock Mercenary and some other authors, it's fifteen minutes long and has just enough time to give a tip or two about the writing process before they give up.)

He's pretty good actually. Pop into his thread in Book Barn if you want to get into his stuff.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

Dolash posted:

You're nuts if you think we've seen the last of Thog.

I know you're correct, and wish you weren't.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Kajeesus posted:

And V killed the Draketooths, that counts.

How many speaking lines did all of the Draketooths get?

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
:siren: New Strip:siren:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Ha. Ha. Ha. :geno:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I see we've been paid a visit by the exposition fairy.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

drat, Haley, that's just inconsiderate.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

My Lovely Horse posted:

I see we've been paid a visit by the exposition fairy.

Yeah, that was the feeling I got reading through the strip. Like 80% of it was Bozzok recapping stuff to someone who already knows what the gently caress is going on. What was the point?

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Bringing it back into the readers mind. Might be a bit redundant for webcomic, but it still serves to set the mood.

e X fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Feb 2, 2015

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Brannock posted:

Yeah, that was the feeling I got reading through the strip. Like 80% of it was Bozzok recapping stuff to someone who already knows what the gently caress is going on. What was the point?

Well some of that stuff was only in the printed version of the book, though none of it was that important.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Getting a recap is important; with the mean time between updates I had forgotten who Haley was.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Also, we're near the start of a new book, so some recap is expected.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

It's a bit too little show, way too much tell.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Brannock posted:

Some of this stuff is new to those of us who only read the webcomic.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
It also tells us exactly what a lot of people have spent a lot of words in this thread speculating about. What Crystal is, how she was revived, why she can talk, why she hates Haley, etc.

It wasn't a GOOD comic, but it's kinda a necessary evil. Too bad this'll be the only comic this week. Maybe next week, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Yeah, it's another cross bearer for the update schedule. I imagine in print, it'll barely be a speed bump, but here, where things are already slow, it feels like a grinding halt to talk to the audience about the migration habits of whales.