Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Tin Gang posted:

mathetical proofs are not equivalent to laws of physics!!!
1+1=2 is just your opinion man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
1+1=0 in GF(2)

Randel Candygram
Jun 21, 2008

College Slice

Barnyard Protein posted:

1+1=0 in GF(2)

more generally, x+x = 0 in GF(2^n) for any x, n

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
I made an LED blink on a breadboard via jumpers from the Edison Arduino board.

and the LED didn't get hot or explode! I actually used a resistor, and the right resistor too!

next I want to measure just how fast I can toggle that I/O from Lisp and C. I just didn't want to set up the logic analyzer before dinner. it was getting to be cheesesteak o'clock, you see.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

is that all sarcastic or why do you own a logic analyzer if making an led turn on is a big deal

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
it's somewhat sarcastic as my teenage adventures in hardware were less than successful and half a lifetime ago

now though I want it to not be a big deal. I want to make things that plug into other things, and I want to make things what do things.

and well

blink baby blink!

and in C instead of Clozure Common Lisp:

both are using libmraa via sysfs rather than memory-mapped I/O

eschaton fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Feb 2, 2015

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

its so loving weird going from computers that have gigabytes and gigabytes of RAM and terabytes of hard drive space to cursing that your program is 128 bytes shy of fitting in your little 16bit micro controller

somehow it fits with -O4 which is using a kilobyte less space than -O3. either ti is magic or its just randomly cut out parts of my code :ohdear:

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

whats the compiler? gcc doesnt even have an O4

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

its ti's msp430 compiler

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
they use mspgcc now don't they

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

its included in CCS 6; my options for compilers are TI v4.4.2, TI v4.3.3 and GNU v4.9.1

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

idk read a help or man page i guess? or have it emit the assembly and/or disassemble it and see what's different!

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
'look at the asm' is always the right answer. in cases where it doesn't seem to be the right answer, you're asking the wrong question.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Blotto Skorzany posted:

'look at the asm' is always the right answer. in cases where it doesn't seem to be the right answer, you're asking the wrong question.

yeah, i know, i was more tearing my hair out at being just over on flash

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012
should i get this y/n http://www.amazon.com/Rigol-DS1052E-Digital-Channels-sampling/dp/B003MYND5A

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

fancy fancy, look at me here looking for my first multimeter. moving past simple arduinos and need a good multimeter for more in depth microcontroller projects.

how does the fluke 115 (http://amzn.com/B000OCFFMW) fair?

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

p sure rigol was recommended to me back when i was asking around for cheap, decent scopes

then i bought this instead

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012
Yeah at the same time I really want a Tek 2465 but also dealing with repairs on something that old is a pain.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

that is a good low-end modern dso, yes. it will do your needful

xilni posted:

fancy fancy, look at me here looking for my first multimeter. moving past simple arduinos and need a good multimeter for more in depth microcontroller projects.

how does the fluke 115 (http://amzn.com/B000OCFFMW) fair?

the fluke 115 is good (it is a fluke after all) but the thing you'll miss is a milli-/micro- amp range. you wont find both a small and a large current range on a fluke until you get to the 177/179 at like $250-$275. mA range measurements are probably going to be your most common current measurement as a hobbyist, and also the range missing from the brand name's low end meters (looking at you Agilent U1232A/Fluke11X). I'd look on the used market, fluke/agilent meters are very very stable and used will be pretty much as good as new

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

Arcsech posted:

the fluke 115 is good (it is a fluke after all) but the thing you'll miss is a milli-/micro- amp range. you wont find both a small and a large current range on a fluke until you get to the 177/179 at like $250-$275. mA range measurements are probably going to be your most common current measurement as a hobbyist, and also the range missing from the brand name's low end meters (looking at you Agilent U1232A/Fluke11X). I'd look on the used market, fluke/agilent meters are very very stable and used will be pretty much as good as new

that seems to be the most recurrent concern with the fluke 11x series and why i've held off so far. when your typical led draws 20mA max i can see i'd need mA.

off to check the used market

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.

guys there's something wrong with my bits

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Chill Callahan posted:

Yeah at the same time I really want a Tek 2465 but also dealing with repairs on something that old is a pain.

mine has been sitting around, broken, for about a year

"idk anything about tubes and poo poo but i could use a project!" i said, happily handing twenty dollars to Mr. Craiglist

i have a problem

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
someone recycled this thing, is it any good

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

depends on your definition of "good"

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

http://www.barrytech.com/tektronix/vintage/tek564.html

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

atomicthumbs posted:

does it work?

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

it makes cool waveforms when I play aphex twin into it and the storage function sort of lets me use it as the world's heaviest etch-a-sketch

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

atomicthumbs posted:

My dad had one of those, no idea where it went after he died.

Tin Gang
Sep 27, 2007

Tin Gang posted:

showering has no effect on germs and is terrible for your skin. there is no good reason to do it

if I specced these out wrong BOY am I gonna look really stupid

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

those are some expensive caps what are they

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Bloody posted:

CDE Film Capacitors can't you read???

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I'm doing firmware for a lil battery powered wireless sensor

it has a 1.5F supercapacitor on it for some reason :stonk:

makes power cycling more of a pain than it needs to be

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Mr Dog posted:

sounds like it's actually supercapacitor powered now doesn't it

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

Mr Dog posted:

put a relay in series with the supercap imo

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
i mean as far as i can tell it's there to smooth out the shock of the radio switching on and transmitting because the power consumption blips up from 300 uA to 10 mA for a fraction of a second, they only overspecced the necessary capacitance for that by uuh like six orders of magnitude or so nbd

did i mention the BOM cost is supposedly a major consideration on this board too

and anyway, instead of smoothing out the current spike it probably causes a Tohoku-scale inrush when you first plug the batteries in so it doesn't really seem like a win to me. like i'm pretty sure this thing would arc if alkaline battery chemistry were capable of it

hooking this thing up to a benchtop PSU current-limited to 100 mA it takes like three seconds for the current limiter to disengage, in the meantime the voltage rises up to 3V from a starting value of something like 1.4

(i am a software guy, not a hardware guy. i know like ohm's law and vaguely how capacitors are used and that's about it)

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah iirc 1-wire devices leech power from the bus during downtime and their energy cap is measured in nF i think

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
The BOM cost is really important for this project so we're giving you the cheapest and shittiest microcontroller we can find with not nearly enough ROM when $1 Cortex-M0 chips with 64KB of program ROM are a thing that exists

*plans to ship 10,000 units*

At least it isn't a PIC

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

Mr Dog posted:

and anyway, instead of smoothing out the current spike it probably causes a Tohoku-scale inrush when you first plug the batteries in so it doesn't really seem like a win to me. like i'm pretty sure this thing would arc if alkaline battery chemistry were capable of it

lol definitely. i'd almost be worried about popping alkalines if you power cycle it too frequently, they don't like big ol' current spikes that much especially when they've been run down a ways

Tin Gang
Sep 27, 2007

Tin Gang posted:

showering has no effect on germs and is terrible for your skin. there is no good reason to do it

Bloody posted:

they are caps that can handle super high frequencies/high voltages for a tesla coil. if the thing gets an hour of run time before something burns out I'm calling it a victory

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Mr Dog posted:

i mean as far as i can tell it's there to smooth out the shock of the radio switching on and transmitting because the power consumption blips up from 300 uA to 10 mA for a fraction of a second, they only overspecced the necessary capacitance for that by uuh like six orders of magnitude or so nbd

it's a wireless sensor you said -- you sure it's not there to enable the thing to store some values to EEPROM or do a graceful shutdown for some reason when power is cut?

• Locked thread