Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I got a 100 dollar amazon gift card from my aunt and used most of it to buy food/bedding/etc for the babies, as well as two more Silent Runners. I gave one to the albino baby and he spent all day yesterday running on it. Today...he's running in circles around it and refusing to go into it. He's created a channel in the bedding from his running in circles.

Hamsters are stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I'm Shannon and I'm the biggest Idiot Ever!

Hella cute, what a little dumbass :3:

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

We are all sinners in the eyes of these popsicle sticks.
So Zara has a new habit - chewing on her water bottle pipe. I've checked, and nothing's wrong with the bottle itself. She also has tons of chew toys - I put in a few extra just to be sure, which she's ignoring because she has so many - and all the usual entertainments, but she just chews and chews on that metal tube.

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

There's a new program on bbc 1 called Pets: (title of episode) the first one is called Wild at heart and there is a little bit on hamsters. They have a "Russian hamster" (robo) and a bit of a syrian. The second ep shows a syrian using ECHOLOCATION ("high pitched squeaks we can't hear") to navigate the drop on stairs. I dunno about anyone else's experience but... No... All of mine have just leaped off everything. I've never ever heard of that. And the cages they show are titchy tiny.

Second episode has a little bit on piggies too but they're in a weird commune that eats them occasionally in the first part and a teeny tiny outdoor hutch in the second bit :( nice little shot of attempted piggy rape set to benny hill music too :v:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It does have this though, which is faaaaaaaantastic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbYBGKSxyac&hd=1

Kluliss
Mar 6, 2011

Cake, is it a drug, or is it simply a delicious chocolatey piece of heaven?
Is there anything you can feed a guinea-pig that's....more calorific than normal?

One of my pigs had a sebaceous cyst which ended up having to be removed after bursting and he's lost 100g since last Wednesday (though that 100g also contained a very large lump on his arse). Vet says the antibiotics probably made him feel blech and not want to interact much. He is eating, weeing, pooing, and I have plenty of his favourite things (spinach leaves, mint, basil) to tempt him but it's not working all that well - he'll take a couple of leaves then ignore everything else.

The pigs have permanent access to a frankly ridiculous amount of hay, a bowl of pellets and a bottle of water, they're given handfuls of leaves morning and night plus a bowl of veg (carrots etc) in the evenings.

I really wish he had the appetite of our other pig who is shaped like a butternut squash.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kluliss posted:

Is there anything you can feed a guinea-pig that's....more calorific than normal?

One of my pigs had a sebaceous cyst which ended up having to be removed after bursting and he's lost 100g since last Wednesday (though that 100g also contained a very large lump on his arse). Vet says the antibiotics probably made him feel blech and not want to interact much. He is eating, weeing, pooing, and I have plenty of his favourite things (spinach leaves, mint, basil) to tempt him but it's not working all that well - he'll take a couple of leaves then ignore everything else.

The pigs have permanent access to a frankly ridiculous amount of hay, a bowl of pellets and a bottle of water, they're given handfuls of leaves morning and night plus a bowl of veg (carrots etc) in the evenings.

I really wish he had the appetite of our other pig who is shaped like a butternut squash.

Have you tried giving him red Bell Peppers? Guinea Pigs lose their little fuzzy minds over those. Celery too, in my experience, though just a little bit. Also keep an eye on the little guy in general, because if he's anything like a pig I had as a teen, he might get another in a couple years or so.

Or as mum described him; The $500 Guinea Pig :allears:.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Feb 2, 2015

Kluliss
Mar 6, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Have you tried giving him red Bell Peppers? Guinea Pigs lose their little fuzzy minds over those. Celery too, in my experience, though just a little bit. Also keep an eye on the little guy in general, because if he's anything like a pig I had as a teen, he might get another in a couple years or so.

Or as mum described him; The $500 Guinea Pig :allears:.

Aww poor piggley!

He does eat peppers, shall have to pop out and get one as I hadn't thought of that! He likes celery and cucumber as well, they both get that a lot too. I was hoping for something rib-sticking for him but I guess I'll just have to keep tempting him with everything else. Dio's going to get even fatter than he already is if this is all in the cage...

I really hope Ozzy doesn't get another one! He's got a seam down his back/bum now which should heal well. Sadly even if he got one every 2 years, he's 5 years old already so chances are he'd only have time to get one more :(

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Kluliss posted:

Oxbow critical care.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Critical Care would be my suggestion, as it has more fat content in it than only feeding pellets and hay. Plus these days you can get flavored Critical Care, I've got a packet of the banana and most of my pigs will lick it right off the spoon (which is great since I'm usually only breaking it out when I'm having to force feed someone). Other than that, it's just going to take some time for him to regain the weight. As long as he's not still losing weight and you know he is eating on his own, he should be ok. The antibiotics are probably disrupting his normal gut process too which isn't helping much. You can ask your vet for a probiotic, which might help.

Kluliss
Mar 6, 2011

Thank you for the suggestions of Critical Care, I'll see whether he starts eating more tonight/tomorrow morning and if not I'll try and get some from the vets to give him a boost. He's still looking sorry for himself but at least he's come out of the pigloo and is sitting on the hay (hopefully munching a bit too.) will keep trying to tempt him with tasty things.

If he manages to lose any more weight by Friday I'll talk to the vet about probiotics and feeding him the guinea-pig equivalent of butter.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
Just checking, but wheeking it just a sign of "Hello I am a pig," right? Friend who worked at a store swears up and down that wheeking means they're scared, but my pig does it drat near all the time, standing right in the middle of her cage, paws on her food troft and staring at everyone in the room. I think my friend's full of poo poo because that doesn't say "scared" to me.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Adult Sword Owner posted:

Just checking, but wheeking it just a sign of "Hello I am a pig," right? Friend who worked at a store swears up and down that wheeking means they're scared, but my pig does it drat near all the time, standing right in the middle of her cage, paws on her food troft and staring at everyone in the room. I think my friend's full of poo poo because that doesn't say "scared" to me.

Pigs wheek about everything. They do it to complain about not having something(food, water, whatever). They do it to beg for food. More often than not it is them demanding something from you, not them being scared.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Wheeking is the standard HEY pay attention to (and feed) me noise, it means they're happy and excited. Scared or grumpy pigs make low rumbly sounds or chew their teeth at you.

HappyKitty
Jul 11, 2005

There's a noise that a pig makes when it gets startled which sounds similar to a wheek, but isn't. Our pigs wheek for attention, or if they see we have just come from the kitchen and suspect that we might have food. When we go to pick them up, they will sometimes emit a very loud, high-pitched squeal of protest - that might be the sound your friend is thinking about.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Yeh I think he's just confused. I know the protest sound well, one of my old pigs made if you scratched her hind quarters too much.

Thanks guys just wanted to make sure she wasn't constantly terrified and was just being a tease ("hey! hey human! its me! look at me! NOWHATAREYOUDOINGDONTPICKMEUP *runs*)

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

("hey! hey human! its me! look at me! NOWHATAREYOUDOINGDONTPICKMEUP *runs*)

This is 100% standard pig behaviour.

HappyKitty
Jul 11, 2005

Party Boat posted:

This is 100% standard pig behaviour.

Followed by "OHGODOHGODOHGODDON'TEATMEPLEASE DON'T- oh hey, I'm being petted, this isn't so bad"

A guinea pig's "abject terror to comfortably snuggly" threshold is about two seconds. They're not very clever :3:

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

It's always good to know that it's just What Pigs Do and not that I somehow scarred mine at some formative point in their lives.

Also according to the brochure the adoption place gave me (that I only skimmed before because it was about diet stuff I already knew) if you have pigs who are getting a bit too serious in their displays with the showing teeth and actual nipping, you blow on their noses and say NO and it startles them enough they cut it out. News to me and would have been great with the last set who HATED each other at first.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Yeah pigs are definately more on the social spectrum of intelligence rather then the rational. :v:

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I think companies misrepresent item sizes my ham is huge
Assumed toy to ham ratio

Actual experience
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohbmEqj8V-Y
Poor little baby looks like Godzilla :(

teenytinymouse fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Feb 13, 2015

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
A rainbow bridge toy? Seriously?

I am inspired to make a 'Farm Upstate' playset.

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

Yeah I did think about that but it's so cute!!!!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Shannonmcn posted:

I think companies misrepresent item sizes my ham is huge
Assumed toy to ham ratio

Actual experience
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohbmEqj8V-Y
Poor little baby looks like Godzilla :(

I think the hamster in the picture may not be full grown. Your rodent looks normal enough to me.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Jedit posted:

I think the hamster in the picture may not be full grown. Your rodent looks normal enough to me.

Yeah, I showed this to my wife and she said that they typically use only half grown animals for the example pictures for this stuff.

TunaSpleen
Jan 27, 2007

How do I say, "You're the grossest thing ever" without offending you?
Grimey Drawer
That explains why the 11" and 12" running wheels at Petsmart show chinchillas running on them when they need a 16" custom wheel.

In other chin news, can anyone explain why my chinchilla ramps up her colon into poop overdrive whenever she explores a new area? No change in quality, just quantity. I assume it's some territory marking business but it seems counterintuitive for a prey animal to advertise her presence in an unfamiliar area.

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I made sure and weighed her which she didn't like at all and she comes in at about 200g give or take a little because she wouldn't sit still. I read that 100-200g is kind of average for a non pedigree ham so I guess I'm just being very rude.

heard you were talking poo poo?

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
I just got a little hamster to keep me company when I'm working on essays (and it is lonely in my single room.) Happily, she loves the big blue wheel attachment I got for her cage. Unfortunately, she has a predilection for putting her food in areas scattered inside the cage, including her wheel.

She loves to run with said food/seeds inside the wheel and it makes a hellish maracas on meth sound whenever she runs. It is driving me insane but I don't want to take her favorite wheel away. What can I do? :(

Edit: The seeds spray out over the table it is sitting on and I have to keep putting it back in goddammit. :(

Artificer fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Feb 17, 2015

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

My ham has literally just started doing this the last 2 days. No idea how to stop her doing it, I just fish it all out and don't pay her any attention while I'm doing it in case it's a plea for treats or something.

If you ask on some hamster specific forums like hamstercentral or hamsterhideout you might get quicker answers than here, it's not that active a thread. Congrats on the new buddy though, post pics :D

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Shannonmcn posted:

My ham has literally just started doing this the last 2 days. No idea how to stop her doing it, I just fish it all out and don't pay her any attention while I'm doing it in case it's a plea for treats or something.

If you ask on some hamster specific forums like hamstercentral or hamsterhideout you might get quicker answers than here, it's not that active a thread. Congrats on the new buddy though, post pics :D

I let her stay on the mini-wheel while I'm in the room. The big wheel can go back on if I'm off to class. And now I need to put the food back in her bowl. Again.

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I wouldn't bother putting the food back in her bowl, let her pick it up it'll give her something to do :) my monster got a chunk of millet spray last night and it had to be confiscated again because she wouldn't stop putting it in the wheel and waking me and once also waking my housemate in the next room who doesn't like her at the best of times :sigh:

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Shannonmcn posted:

I wouldn't bother putting the food back in her bowl, let her pick it up it'll give her something to do :) my monster got a chunk of millet spray last night and it had to be confiscated again because she wouldn't stop putting it in the wheel and waking me and once also waking my housemate in the next room who doesn't like her at the best of times :sigh:

No no. The mini wheel is inside her cage. But the big wheel won't fit and so is attached to the cage, but sits outside of it. There is a small crack that she can't fit through, but the food she brings into the wheel can. That's how they fall out. So she can't put them back in or eat them after they fall out.

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

Aaah gotcha. Sounds like a weird set up, is that a crittertrail type thing?

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Shannonmcn posted:

Aaah gotcha. Sounds like a weird set up, is that a crittertrail type thing?

Yeah sort of. The cage itself has two hardpoints (I guess) on the side for different attachments. One leads to a tunnel with some rooms for her to chill in, and the other led to the big wheel that was attached to the outside of the cage.

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

Bleeh I don't really like those modular things, they're super expensive for v little space. If you're in the US/Canada you can get tanks super cheap in those petco 1$/gal sales maybe try her in a 20gal long or even a 40gal so at least she keeps her mess contained? Gives you more options for toys and stuff too. We have nothing like those sales in the UK and I'm always super jealous of huge tanks for v little money.

I didn't even ask, did you get a little dwarfie or a syrian?

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Shannonmcn posted:

Bleeh I don't really like those modular things, they're super expensive for v little space. If you're in the US/Canada you can get tanks super cheap in those petco 1$/gal sales maybe try her in a 20gal long or even a 40gal so at least she keeps her mess contained? Gives you more options for toys and stuff too. We have nothing like those sales in the UK and I'm always super jealous of huge tanks for v little money.

I didn't even ask, did you get a little dwarfie or a syrian?

She's a little dwarf hamster. :3: Unfortunately my living situation limits the size of her possible habitats. :(

Edit: If she pees on me while I'm holding her, am I stressing her out? Or scaring her?

Artificer fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Feb 18, 2015

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

Artificer posted:

She's a little dwarf hamster. :3: Unfortunately my living situation limits the size of her possible habitats. :(

Edit: If she pees on me while I'm holding her, am I stressing her out? Or scaring her?

I'm in the same situation, my (80x50cm) cage is a squeeze as it is and I can't fit anything bigger in even though I'd like to. I'd look into something that's not modular if you can afford it anyway, the space you waste with connector tubes can be made up with one flat floor space which is supposed to be better for them anyway. The whole "they love tubes!!!" thing is generally thought to be bullshit supported by pet shops who want to sell more modular cages. The accepted US minimum is 360 square inches of floor space so as long as you're at or over that then the style of cage is debatable tbh.

I know they pee to mark territory sometimes but I dunno if it's a a stress response too. My syrian has never pee'd on me (but she doesn't like being on/near me anyway, the risk of getting an older rescue I guess) but some peoples hams I've seen who are perfectly comfortable with their owners have pee'd on them. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

I seriously recommend looking at either of the forums I posted before, ( I like hamstercentral because it's less full of 10 year old girls) that's where I get p much everything from. I kept Syrians as a kid and you wouldn't believe how standards of care have come on in the 10 years even. I notice there are still no pictures of the cutie pie ;)

Clockroach
Dec 12, 2010
Why does my roommate's pig go through such lengths to steal pizza, tortilla chips, and cheez-its from anyone he can reach? And the latest- my other roommate threw a marshmallow at her girlfriend while she was holding him, and he started mauling it before she decided that it was probably super unhealthy for him. If I wait until after I'm done snacking to hold him, he'll still sniff and lick my hand obsessively.

None of the other pigs do this, they're all on the same diet. Like if I was just munching down on a cucumber I could understand it... marshmallows?

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Clockroach posted:

None of the other pigs do this, they're all on the same diet. Like if I was just munching down on a cucumber I could understand it... marshmallows?

All herbivores love love love marshmallows. I have never seen one not go nuts for them. I have been attacked by horses for them. The rabbit is absolutely not allowed to have them, as she bit the poo poo out of me to try and get some out of my coffee.

Going to use them to bribe some goats to hold still while i trim their feet tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

minema
May 31, 2011
So we decided to expand the guinea pig's cage a little bit and now we don't really have room left.

I think they like it though.

And here is what Ziggy looks like when he's actually been brushed!

Spook got a nice present this year for Christmas

Her very own castle!