Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Spincut posted:

Yeah, Adam Koebel is complaining about the BW/Mouse Guard line on Twitter as we speak!

Seriously, though, if you want people to give you money, dumping on games that they might actually like isn't going to get them to give you their money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
I love the system but you need someone who knows how to market. Backed because I already know that the game is great, but I'm worried about you actually making your goals.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Is this BW-Ghazi over calling it pretentious?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

moths posted:

Is this BW-Ghazi over calling it pretentious?
Lets put it this way: if this wasn't a goon project and it slammed, say, 4e or Dungeon World, we'd be making fun of it because of how ignorant/unprofessional it was, right? And I know we would because we've done it before.

Just because it's making fun of a game that's not as popular around here doesn't change the fact that slamming someone else's game to promote yours isn't a good way to get people to pay you.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

But I mean, have you seen BW? "Pretentious" is loving charitable.

Limited run, physical only, boutique production written in an impregnable self-indulgent affected style. It's basically the definition of a pretentious RPG.

E: but this is all over that one blurb?

moths fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jan 30, 2015

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Totally backed. Going back and forth on whether or not I want the hardcopy, but you're the first 4E-alike I've seen go to press and I'm intrigued.

Actual constructive criticism:

• You should at least do up some sort of placeholder character sheet.
  • The entire project is "finished" but could use a lot of aesthetic refinement before going to press. Please hire an actual layout person and editor.
  • Naming something "Fantasy Adventure" and "Lovecraftian Adventure" does not exactly drive me to click on it.
  • I echo the feedback that you need to provide more examples instead of just filling your story page with blind assertions.
  • I'm super-stoked that you're a math guy designing a game (seriously, the industry needs more of them), but you need an English major to write copy.

Zurui fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jan 30, 2015

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

moths posted:

But I mean, have you seen BW? "Pretentious" is loving charitable.

Limited run, physical only, boutique production written in an impregnable self-indulgent affected style.
Yes, I own it and like it.

But it doesn't matter if I find it pretentious or not, what matters is how Jim is presenting things to potential backers. The perception of the people he wants as backers matters. And if the pitch involves badmouthing games, that's going to put Jim into the same area as people like GMS or Raggi who spend a lot of time putting down other people as a marketing method.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I guess I just expected more badmouthing from all the pearl-clutching. "BW is pretentious" is a statement on par with "3.pf is bloated."

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

moths posted:

I guess I just expected more badmouthing from all the pearl-clutching. "BW is pretentious" is a statement on par with "3.pf is bloated."
I've found that my badmouthing tolerance has dropped a lot lately, because at the end of the day it just makes you look like a jackass regardless.

And yes I realize this probably makes me pretty hypocritical given my post history and mountains of text in the F&F threads.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
It's still a bad way to advertise.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

GrandpaPants posted:

Broken Loose, I noticed you had nothing on BGG for your game, not even a page. I think getting some initial hype with some pictures and some information to lead into the KS would be better for you, since instead of spending like 2 weeks building momentum, you open your Kickstarter with some initial hype. This all obviously depends on your ask and whatever stretch goals you have planned, but as, uh, lovable (?) this community is, it definitely doesn't have the audience of those terrible, terrible BGGers whose enthusiasm seems to be inversely proportional to their tastes.

BGG has a really pain-in-the-rear end way of handling boardgames with live KS campaigns, largely because I imagine every dude who tries a campaign makes a page and then the game may or may not get funded. I'm not allowed to do anything until the campaign is live and the process by which I have to do things is very specific.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Evil Mastermind posted:

Yes, I own it and like it.

But it doesn't matter if I find it pretentious or not, what matters is how Jim is presenting things to potential backers. The perception of the people he wants as backers matters. And if the pitch involves badmouthing games, that's going to put Jim into the same area as people like GMS or Raggi who spend a lot of time putting down other people as a marketing method.

On the other hand, it's already got people tweeting about it, and at least one person has tweeted back that it's just the one blurb, and they're going to let the game stand on its own merits.

With no disrespect intended toward Luke Crane and Burning Wheel and Mouse Guard, it's not as though they're all that big either. I am not even sure the majority of RPG gamers will have held those books in their hands, let alone played them. Part of marketing is product differentiation, so . . . to me, this is more "hey, somebody's going to be offended or angry at most anything you do." If it escalates, it makes sense to address it in an update.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
That's pretty tame as far as "confrontational" marketing in TTG's goes.

Warmachine Prime, Page 5 posted:

Warning: Not suitable for wussies!

Sissies. Little girls. Nancy boys... go home. This game is not for you.

If you cry when you lose, get lost -- you're going to lose. If it hurts your fragile sensibilities to see your favorite character get pounded unmercifully by a rapid succession of no-holds-barred iron fury, you'd better look the other way. If you've ever whined the words, "That's too powerful," then put the book down slowly and walk away before making eye contact with anyone or they'll realize your voice hasn't changed yet.

This game is about aggression. This is the game of metal-on-metal combat. This is fuel-injected power hopped up on steroids. This is WARMACHINE -- the battles game that kicks so much rear end we have to use all capital letters.

We didn't set out to reinvent the wheel with this game -- we just armor plated it, covered it in spikes, and rolled it over your grandma's house.

WARMACHINE is simple. It's easy to learn, has no reference charts, no heavy arithmetic, and doesn't require constant trips to the rulebook. At the same time, WARMACHINE possesses deep strategy. The ability to unlock combinations of abilities and spells and maneuvers is practically limitless. For every perfect strategy, there is a foil. For every immovable object, there is an unstoppable force. Just when you think you've got it all worked out, you'll be blindsided by something you never saw before. The more you dig, the more you'll find.

WARMACHINE favors the aggressor. You've got to throw the first punch if you want to land on top! Too many games set players up to be timid. Games drag out with little action because the game favors defensive strategies. Players park their soldiers behind walls like old ladies hiding from a loud noise.

Not in WARMACHINE! If you want your opponent to come to you, you're going to get steamrolled. You've got to have balls to play this game! You've got to charge your opponent and hang it all out there! You've got to break his formations. You've got to be relentless with your onslaught. You have to go for the jugular and latch on like a rabid dog that hasn't eaten in days. Anything less and you'll be hamburger.

You're playing with power now. Don't be afraid! Few things are more satisfying than slamming your opponent's warjack into a unit of soldiers and watching them fall like bowling pins! (We call this jack bowling.) Try picking up an enemy warcaster (with a warjack, of course) and throwing it across the battlefield! It's almost more fun than you should be allowed to have with miniatures game.

The miniatures of WARMACHINE deliver on every level that the game does. These warjacks radiate power! We're pouring so much metal into these things that at our current rate, we'll deplete the world of pewter by 2006. And these things were made for modeling. The incredible detail and expert sculpting will create one of the most enjoyable painting experiences you've ever had.

This is a new era in tabletop miniatures wargaming. This is a game made for you, by people like you. It's not a load of sterilized mass market drek designed by a room of corporate meatplow. This is raw. This is brutal. This is WARMACHINE.

So play like you've got a pair, or put down the metal and go find something made of plastic.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
That is completely different. No games are called out by name. The tone is a little Mortal Kombat circa 1994, but it is clearly differentiating the product from the competition and indirectly complimenting you for being interested in the product.

It's sexist, heteronormative, and outdated, but it's a good example of copy that clearly defines what the game is supposed to do (while indirectly calling out competition.)

(I work in marketing.)

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah it's the difference between saying "Drink Coke, it's the best" vs. "Drink Coke, because Pepsi tastes like poo poo."

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

quote:

BGG has a really pain-in-the-rear end way of handling boardgames with live KS campaigns, largely because I imagine every dude who tries a campaign makes a page and then the game may or may not get funded. I'm not allowed to do anything until the campaign is live and the process by which I have to do things is very specific.

That's really bizarre - it's not like they otherwise seem to worry too much about curating. There's tons of terrible game pages there with absolutely no content (though perhaps maybe they're trying to turn this around?). When I see a really dumb post, I quite often click on people's "Game Designer" badge to see what they made, and quite often the game is - as a real example - their house rules for Mall of Horror (including art stolen by the bushel), only with character graphics from Resident Evil. Even if your KS fails miserably, you'll still have more of a game than many live pages.

Perhaps some monetization ploy or something?

quote:

Yeah it's the difference between saying "Drink Coke, it's the best" vs. "Drink Coke, because Pepsi tastes like poo poo."

Well, except they're not Coke they're Zeeblezapjuice - and right now anything that takes them from zero to non-zero awareness might be worth it. There's a balance: there's some people who may be mad, but even mad might be better than "completely unaware" (which is how many worthy Kickstarter games seem to die). "Polarizing" might be exactly what they want here (to a point.. if you dip too deep into negativity, the pool of people who respond well is going to dry up... Anyway, I don't think what's there now is crazy, just kind of a gamble - and now, having garnered a bit of attention, might be a good time to attempt to reframe that particular point).

jmzero fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jan 30, 2015

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
What makes the Strike! misstep so irritating is that there are already so many great quotes and design influences listed elsewhere on the Kickstarter page and the manual.

Riffing more on how the idea for losing target numbers came from Apocalypse World would, for example, be a great place to start. Plus it would probably appeal to anyone who was interested in Dungeon World (everyone but GMS and Pundit.)

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Leperflesh posted:

It's more like "Drink Coke, because all other cola is for gently caress heads, especially the other one, you know who we're talking about *wink wink*"

Honestly if they published that page now it would be a lot less confrontational than it was at the time because the market is bigger than two companies (GW and WizKids were basically 99% of the non historicals market at this point). But that was ~2003 IIRC and there was basically just GW/WK. It specifically is aimed at what were (at the time) the main criticisms of GW's game that were pissing off "hardcore" gamers at the time (conversion of big models to plastics, shifting focus away from competitive play, power list dominance, hard to reference books, emphasis on cover) and it's basically a bullet pointed checklist of what was "wrong" with WH40k at the dawn of 4th edition.

To me (even at the time) that strikes me as much more confrontational than quoting someone who said "If you liked this game but thought it took itself too seriously this game will be more your style".

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Honestly if they published that page now it would be a lot less confrontational than it was at the time

And in fact, it is way less confrontational in MkII.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
I'm baffled by the idea that I am "dumping on" Mouse Guard and/or Burning Wheel. Those are my goddamn favourite games, as I would think should be quite clear considering they were easily some of the biggest influences on my design.

If it's just that one quote from a playtester, then okay, I can see how some people could be upset. It was never my intention to bash anything. I mean, I'm one of the biggest Luke Crane fans on this forum. I LOVE Burning Wheel. I wish I was playing Burning Wheel right now!

Hows about I just edit out those three words from that quote?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

rantmo posted:

And in fact, it is way less confrontational in MkII.

Well thay had to be, they were already switching to plastic by then.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Jimbozig posted:

I'm baffled by the idea that I am "dumping on" Mouse Guard and/or Burning Wheel. Those are my goddamn favourite games, as I would think should be quite clear considering they were easily some of the biggest influences on my design.

If it's just that one quote from a playtester, then okay, I can see how some people could be upset. It was never my intention to bash anything. I mean, I'm one of the biggest Luke Crane fans on this forum. I LOVE Burning Wheel. I wish I was playing Burning Wheel right now!

I totally know where you're coming from! I also love burning wheel and your game. I just backed you, actually.

I think editing those words from that quote is a smart thing to do, though, given the kind of ridiculous vendetta swearing that can go on in the hobby.

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

THAT SOUND WILL FOLLOW ME TO HELL.

Jimbozig posted:

Sure, that's fair enough. The problem is that, obviously, 99.99% of the people reading your pitch have absolutely no idea who you are; the only perception they have of you as a person and designer is going to be formed through what you put on the Kickstarter page. People aren't going to be particularly generous with their attention or forgiveness, because they're probably cycling through a dozen other Kickstarters who are also looking to get their money.

The bigger problem, I think, is this:

GrandpaPants posted:

There's really nothing substantive for me to care about otherwise. You can say it's cool and exciting all you want, but without seeing cool examples or anecdotes of what people are actually doing, I just see another RPG of empty statements and mediocre to bad art. I also think that one picture of the arrows in the target is especially bad.

There's a lot of "this game is really cool!" but pretty much no "this is why this game is really cool!" You talk about what you were inspired by and give some vague generalities, but there's no details to hook onto. I mean, to start with, why didn't you link the rules preview you did? Absolutely nothing makes me feel more charitable towards a Kickstarter than actually having the game in question to look at and judge for myself.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Tulul posted:

Sure, that's fair enough. The problem is that, obviously, 99.99% of the people reading your pitch have absolutely no idea who you are; the only perception they have of you as a person and designer is going to be formed through what you put on the Kickstarter page. People aren't going to be particularly generous with their attention or forgiveness, because they're probably cycling through a dozen other Kickstarters who are also looking to get their money.
This is especially true with a "first created/zero backed" account; people tend to give those a lot more scrutiny nowadays.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Oh, and also?

Jimbozig posted:

My unsolicited advice: don't just remove the words or the quote. Admit the mistake. Reach out to Adam Keobel or whoever the big voices are and say "you know what, I didn't realize things came across like that, and it was not my intent at all". That counts for a lot with people. Especially in this hobby where more people will double-down than admit mistakes.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Evil Mastermind posted:

Oh, and also?

My unsolicited advice: don't just remove the words or the quote. Admit the mistake. Reach out to Adam Keobel or whoever the big voices are and say "you know what, I didn't realize things came across like that, and it was not my intent at all". That counts for a lot with people. Especially in this hobby where more people will double-down than admit mistakes.

I agree with this IF you are going to edit it or remove the whole thing (which . . . I don't feel as strongly about as some people). Your literal, honest "holy cow, no, guys, I didn't mean that at all" is so much better and more authentic than an unstealthy cover-up.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

homullus posted:

I agree with this IF you are going to edit it or remove the whole thing (which . . . I don't feel as strongly about as some people). Your literal, honest "holy cow, no, guys, I didn't mean that at all" is so much better and more authentic than an unstealthy cover-up.

I'm already on it! Replied to Adam on Twitter and just posted a Kickstarter update thanking him for pointing it out. Posting it like that was a mistake and I have fixed it. I'm grateful to Adam for bringing attention to it.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Cla$$y would back.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Jimbozig posted:

I'm already on it! Replied to Adam on Twitter and just posted a Kickstarter update thanking him for pointing it out. Posting it like that was a mistake and I have fixed it. I'm grateful to Adam for bringing attention to it.

Well you've automatically passed a hurdle 90% of the industry wouldn't, well done.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Jimbozig posted:

Very nicely done. Even if he's still mad, it speaks volumes that you owned it.

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer

palecur posted:

...HEX seems well received, though since I backed it primarily for the PvE and that's taking a long-rear end time to happen I do a lot of thumb-twiddling....

Just wanted to chime in with some news from the HEX thread that we're getting a PvE test arena server thing next week; https://hextcg.com/hex-update-arena-test-server/

They will be porting over everyone's details from the production server so you need to have made an account and logged in by the end of the weekend to get in on it

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Trickerion is really looking like it might be just want I'm into

It's worker placement where you play as rival magicians putting on shows.

And the blurb

quote:

Inspired by movies like the Prestige, Now You See Me and the Houdini mini-series, we created a world where magic and illusion are part of people’s everyday lives. Most of the magic tricks in the game are part of the repertoires of real world illusionists, past and present, but a pinch of supernatural was also added to the mix – just so you can never be sure whether those Spiritual tricks are really merely illusions...

Each turn, you will visit Magoria’s various Locations – the Downtown, the Market Row, the Dark Alley and the Theater – to expand your team, learn more and more intricate magic tricks, get components for them, and prepare them in your Workshop. Each turn concludes with a Performance phase in the Theater, when players may perform a breathtaking magic show for Fame points and money. After the sixth Performance phase, the player with the most Fame points wins the game, and becomes the next Legend of Illusion.

Although anything inspired by Now You See Me does make me worry slightly. That film was insultingly awful.

Mojo Jojo fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jan 31, 2015

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

Jimbozig posted:

Was thinking about backing anyways, will definitely back now. Very cool of you.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I will be totally frank. I did not expect anyone calling Burning Wheel "pretentious" would ever be contentious. :)

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

dwarf74 posted:

I will be totally frank. I did not expect anyone calling Burning Wheel "pretentious" would ever be contentious. :)

Don't get me wrong, it's pretentious as hell, but that's not the kind of thing you put in ad copy for your game. Like, the F&F thread has collectively decided John Wick is the smuggest sonuvabitch in RPGs (And they're probably right), but that doesn't mean that they'd say that when pitching their version of L5R.

Making a Kickstarter is when you should be at your most professional, because it is probably going to be the whole of how your backers judge you.

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

I believe you're a big dork!

dwarf74 posted:

Calling a game pretentious in support of a game that was once titled 'Sacred Barbecue' is pretty much the height of comedy, though.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

My buddy Clint Krause (Don't Walk in Winter Wood, Unity Underground) launched a KS for an adventure module for OSR and LotFP.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/464014331/the-stygian-garden-of-abelia-prem

I made the cover for it.

''The Stygian Garden of Abelia Prem is an eerie, location-based adventure module for low-level characters. It's directly compatible with Lamentations of the Flame Princess and more broadly compatible with a huge selection of OSR rule sets.''

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"
Does anyone know how all the Kickstarter projects with cool looking minis are actually getting them produced? Are they doing injection moulding themselves? Is a third party miniature company doing the sculpts and manufacturing or are the project runners sending off 3d modelled sprues to get moulded in China?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Monster w21 Faces posted:

Does anyone know how all the Kickstarter projects with cool looking minis are actually getting them produced? Are they doing injection moulding themselves? Is a third party miniature company doing the sculpts and manufacturing or are the project runners sending off 3d modelled sprues to get moulded in China?

The vast majority are manufactured in China, where they are the smallest of clients at massive plastics factories that are otherwise pumping out light fittings and coat hangers, a tiny handful of UK ones have had theirs manufactured locally by Renedra.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"

NTRabbit posted:

a tiny handful of UK ones have had theirs manufactured locally by Renedra.

drat, never heard of those folks but if they're good enough for the Perry brothers...

• Locked thread