Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008
I'll start my own competition, with soundtracks.
And unlimited oscillators.

:colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Sizone posted:

That is an excellent idea, or, like Un Chein Andalou. Unfortunately, this is a democracy and democracies always act on the worst ideas, so it will be the Nick Cage sample pack.

I think you mean best idea?

It would be fun to score Metropolis. It just makes me laugh because it was a very huge long standing go-nowhere project on WATMM.

Nick Cage sample pack it is!

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

snorch posted:

BONERJAMZ SUBMISSION

https://soundcloud.com/snowcloud/snorch-repairman

Didn't have time to give it the polish and layers it deserves, but I've been in bed with the flu all day, so done's done.

Holy gently caress this is great.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Here's your sample:

http://www.mediafire.com/listen/ru53bsbl2bcaosg/bonerwithacapitalo.wav

Now figure out which freeware wave editor and tracker program are to be the officially sanctioned ones.

Sizone fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Feb 2, 2015

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Sizone posted:

Here's your sample:

http://www.mediafire.com/listen/ru53bsbl2bcaosg/bonerwithacapitalo.wav

Now figure out which freeware wave editor and tracker program are to be the officially sanctioned ones.

Does it have to be trackers? I'd rather use allkinds of poo poo and haven't touched trackers since 90's.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Sizone posted:

I'll propose SchismTracker. And any tracker or software you can get to run in DosBox, basically. Maybe in addition to whatever else you'd like. Like Sunvox or something?

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

Wait, why are we reducing this to a sanctioned tracker/wave editor? I mean the sample pack thing is fun and makes for funny results which is what I thought was the point of all this compilations? It's not like we're seriously trying to have a competition here.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

The Nick Cage idea was just an idea to do something similar with a different actor or funny thing. It would be weird to do it since it was done (at least for me) already.
http://empradio.bandcamp.com/

I really dig the silent film scoring though. Jeff Mills has been doing that recently and the idea is very cool. Bonus points if its some old school sci-fi stuff. Alternatively, find dash-cam footage and score that. I've seen that done with train videos and dj mixes way back when and it was also cool.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vBD9snz20o

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

toadee posted:

Wait, why are we reducing this to a sanctioned tracker/wave editor? I mean the sample pack thing is fun and makes for funny results which is what I thought was the point of all this compilations? It's not like we're seriously trying to have a competition here.

Who the gently caress ever said anything about fun?

Your Computer posted:

I liked the specificness of bonerjamz,

e: Don't know how feasible it would be, but I think it could be fun if we had a small sample pack and everyone had to make something using only those samples. Whatever genre you want, but all you have to work with are some samples so you gotta stretch, filter, chop and get creative with them to make something cool. Kinda like a less restrictive "make a song using only a kick sample".

Specificness, restrictions (because you cannot have your cake and eat it too), uniformity, clarity of the party line, solidarity, Nicholas Cage.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Sizone posted:

That is an excellent idea, or, like Un Chein Andalou. Unfortunately, this is a democracy and democracies always act on the worst ideas, so it will be the Nick Cage sample pack.

Suggestion: All samples must be taken from Timbre Wolf demo vids.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

stillvisions posted:

holy gently caress yes

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

stillvisions posted:

Oh my god. :vince:

YES YES YES

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

I actually propose we include Tomcat demos as well, after thinking about it, but either way, I think Im just goign to do this anyway because it's amazing

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Just jumping in to say I never said anything about trackers! I don't think we would get a lot of submissions everyone had to sit down a learn a new piece of software just for the challenge. :( That's all.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.

stillvisions posted:

This is a win.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
How hard should one be allowed to go to work on that sample? Sticking to basic cut&paste like a tracker limitation, no effects?

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

MrLonghair posted:

How hard should one be allowed to go to work on that sample? Sticking to basic cut&paste like a tracker limitation, no effects?

Go to town. Who cares how heavily you process it? That's half the fun / challenge!

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Your Computer posted:

Just jumping in to say I never said anything about trackers! I don't think we would get a lot of submissions everyone had to sit down a learn a new piece of software just for the challenge. :( That's all.

Yep, that would take me right out.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

sofullofhate posted:

Go to town. Who cares how heavily you process it? That's half the fun / challenge!

This is the route I'd prefer.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

toadee posted:

I actually propose we include Tomcat demos as well, after thinking about it, but either way, I think Im just goign to do this anyway because it's amazing

Tomcat and Rhythm Wolf, but only the one where he says it doesn't work.

That way the album artwork can be those three things and his face arranged in a three wolf moon shirt fashion.

Also, I have two more weeks of work bullshit that's eating up all my time so I will definitely get in on this one.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.
Yeah, I think my two target videos for audio samples would be https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzVxkY6N7c0 and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2P8-WboRLVw given the lack of usual NAMM noise in the background but if there's any definitive video for the Rhythm Wolf or others that'd be cool.

I'm guessing for myself this will be the chance to get better acquainted with Live's sampling and instrument tools because I have nothing in hardware for this and really, I've been meaning to learn how to use those tools. What better way to practice with stuff that you can only improve on in sound, right?

DrChu
May 14, 2002

I just picked up a Korg MS2000B for very cheap, one of the reasons being that the AC adapter jack is very intermittent. I'm actually having the same issue with my Electribe EM-1, so I figure now would be a good time to tackle both. They only power up if I apply pressure to the plug in a certain direction (mostly up in both cases). I guess no previous owner felt the need to use the little cable loop that's molded into the plastic next to each jack. From looking at the board it seems they just soldered the jack to it, would the best course of action be just to reheat the solder and hope the connection improves?

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

DrChu posted:

I just picked up a Korg MS2000B for very cheap, one of the reasons being that the AC adapter jack is very intermittent. I'm actually having the same issue with my Electribe EM-1, so I figure now would be a good time to tackle both. They only power up if I apply pressure to the plug in a certain direction (mostly up in both cases). I guess no previous owner felt the need to use the little cable loop that's molded into the plastic next to each jack. From looking at the board it seems they just soldered the jack to it, would the best course of action be just to reheat the solder and hope the connection improves?

just a wild guess, but to me, it seems much more likely that something inside the jack is flaky, not the electrical connection to the circuit board (unless the entire jack is wobbly). if it were me i'd look at replacing the jack entirely. if you're comfortable enough reflowing the existing solder replacing the part shouldn't be too difficult.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Yay: my Microbrute came in!

Booo: B&H shipped me a box in pretty bad shape. The actual SHIPPING box from B&H was in pristine condition... so it left the warehouse this way:

That's one end of it crumpled in like drat car crumple zone and ripped up really bad and completely taped back together haphazardly. It looks clearly to be used or an open box or something. Or got badly damaged in the warehouse and somebody thought just slapping some tape on it was acceptable.

Ugh so now i have to decide whether to just return it or go with it. I don't wanna wait any longer :(. Contacted B&H...hopefully they'll send me a replacement asap.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

BonoMan posted:

Yay: my Microbrute came in!

Booo: B&H shipped me a box in pretty bad shape. The actual SHIPPING box from B&H was in pristine condition... so it left the warehouse this way:

That's one end of it crumpled in like drat car crumple zone and ripped up really bad and completely taped back together haphazardly. It looks clearly to be used or an open box or something. Or got badly damaged in the warehouse and somebody thought just slapping some tape on it was acceptable.

Ugh so now i have to decide whether to just return it or go with it. I don't wanna wait any longer :(. Contacted B&H...hopefully they'll send me a replacement asap.

I've had boxes beat up from B&H too, what is it with them? That's actually why I stopped buying from them. I would return it if I were you. Don't want to find out three months down the road that the oscillator drifts and is untunable because it fell off the top of a stack in the warehouse or something.

TZer0
Jun 22, 2013

stillvisions posted:

This sounds absolutely fantastic (unlike the synth).

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

Wow, getting overwhelmed by the Ultranova. It's my first "Big" digital synth, and beyond trying out stock and downloadable packages I really haven't gotten a start. I've tried some menu diving, and messing around with the VSTi editor a bit. I can't really decide which is less annoying yet. I guess I should try to build a base patch or see if the "init" patches are stripped down enough to start from.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

DrChu posted:

TRY REPLACING THE WALL-WART FIRST BEFORE YOU GO FIDDLING AROUND WITH YOUR SYNTH'S INSIDES. Else, it is as Mr. Glass says, much more likely to be the jack than the jack's joints.

W424
Oct 21, 2010
I had the MS2000r and it did the same thing, slightest move/bump would make it power cycle. I assumed the jack or pcb was damaged.

0dB
Jan 3, 2009

AxeBreaker posted:

I guess I should try to build a base patch or see if the "init" patches are stripped down enough to start from.

Yeah, make a base patch with 1 saw oscillator, to one low pass filter, no effects. There's already enough in the oscillator section (particularly the self synch and wavetables) to make lots of good noise. When you've really gone through everything you're allowed to have two. Rare that you would ever need all three.

It's a wonderful machine, it's a bit like a child of the Blofeld and a AN1x. Use the VST, it helps see where it all links up.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
B&H is pretty notorious for selling returns as new.

Bolange
Sep 27, 2012
College Slice
This Timber Wolf sample idea sounds fantastic. What's the best/easiest way to pull samples from youtube for plebeians like myself that are stuck in the Windows world? I wrestled with Jack once but was never able to figure that poo poo out..... I'm use Bitwig for my DAW if that matters.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Startyde posted:

Geez that sucks. We've probably ordered near 6 figures worth of stuff from them in the past with no issues. I'm only ordering this from them because I have some credit with them. Might just scrap it and go Amazon.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Bolange posted:

This Timber Wolf sample idea sounds fantastic. What's the best/easiest way to pull samples from youtube for plebeians like myself that are stuck in the Windows world? I wrestled with Jack once but was never able to figure that poo poo out..... I'm use Bitwig for my DAW if that matters.

Audacity, enable stereo mix as source*
Edit. *In windows control panel

W424 fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Feb 3, 2015

Bolange
Sep 27, 2012
College Slice

W424 posted:

Audacity, enable stereo mix as source*
Edit. *In windows control panel

That's where I got hung up with Jack. I could not, despite following pretty clear instructions from the internet, get 'Stereo Mix' to show up on my Windows 7 install.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

BonoMan posted:

Geez that sucks. We've probably ordered near 6 figures worth of stuff from them in the past with no issues. I'm only ordering this from them because I have some credit with them. Might just scrap it and go Amazon.

Eh I mean I've been buying from them forever if you call and bitch I'm sure they'll cross ship you another. Just saying that that's a thing they do.
Hard to blame them when people "rent" gear or go through a bunch of lenses to find a nut sample of one.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Startyde posted:

Helloooooo Guitar Center!

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001

Bolange posted:

That's where I got hung up with Jack. I could not, despite following pretty clear instructions from the internet, get 'Stereo Mix' to show up on my Windows 7 install.

Install VBCable for your virtual sound card needs.

Also Jack appears not to work right until you figure out the patchbay. The maddening thing is the Connect window seems like it's the same as the patchbay, but it only contains madness (at least with Sonar). Basically you build your config in patchbay, save it, activate it and jack makes the connections when it detects that the actual i/o devices match up to what is saved. The failure of the connect window is that it forgets connections when they go silent. For example Sonar deactivates all devices when not playing or recording, so it doesn't even show up in the connect window until it's too late. So any connections you make while it's playing are forgotten when it stops. You have to play something, then capture the connections in the patchbay so they can be activated at the next play time.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Bolange posted:

You tried "show disabled devices" in the recording tab?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Bolange posted:

I'm coming up with this from memory, so apologies if it's kind of confusing, but I think if you change the audio driver in the dropdown menu near the record function on Audacity's toolbar, you should be able to change it to WASAPI driver. Do that, then there should be a "loop thru" as an option under the source. This worked for me, though I had to manually go into my integrated sound card settings and enable the stereo mix as a source, even though I don't actually use the integrated card at all. Worth a try, and much less clunky than any of the virtual card solutions that exist for Windows.

EDIT: Here's a description of what I was talking about, starting at the bolded sentence a few lines into it.