Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I've just accepted that the swiping in SwiftKey is really only good for short words or ones you would type with one thumb anyway. In this block of text, I've used it for words like "in, only, for, it, is," and, maybe, another one or two. I've gotten so used to switching back and forth between them that I can't use Swype because it's tap I put sucks or Fleksy because, despite having good tap, it has zero swipe input. I also love the predictive engine in SwiftKey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

I got a Moto X2 yesterday and I just want to ask real quick: Are there any good boxing timer apps (an interval-based workout timer app with timers for rounds and rest periods)?

I use this one for running, it works fine.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

XIII posted:

I've just accepted that the swiping in SwiftKey is really only good for short words or ones you would type with one thumb anyway. In this block of text, I've used it for words like "in, only, for, it, is," and, maybe, another one or two. I've gotten so used to switching back and forth between them that I can't use Swype because it's tap I put sucks or Fleksy because, despite having good tap, it has zero swipe input. I also love the predictive engine in SwiftKey.

Yeah ideally a keyboard with SwiftKey prediction and Google swiping would be brilliant.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!

LastInLine posted:

Can you have a declining snooze? I know there are other safeguards to offset it but all of them are more unpleasant to me than declining snooze.

Man, I wish Tunga would get off his rear end and develop an alarm clock app! ;) (Also make a good Material Forecast.io weather app while you're at it.)

There's no declining snooze, you can set the time limit for the snooze (every X minutes for a max of Y) but that's it. Couple annoyances:

- Can't do a quick alarm, have to create/copy an alarm.
- Challenges are too easy even on very high difficulty, it's either addition or multiplication which is lame.
- No challenge with each Snooze.

Edit: Guess what my challenge was on high difficulty today? 3 * 2

Ashex fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Jan 31, 2015

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

I've tried them all and I still go back to Swype as the best swipe style keyboard

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

The Swype feature in SwiftKey really sucks when compared to Google or Swype proper. Depends on if you actually use it I guess.

Yeah it's seriously awful. It never learns to get better even, like if I swipe "people" 1 thousand loving times, it still comes up with some stupid word like puerile even though I have never typed such a weird word willingly and change it every single time. Unfortunately swype sucks at tap typing so :sigh:

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
google's keyboard is sick nasty tbh, especially once you teach it how to swear/use slang

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

What's the go-to SA forums app? Is the one on the OP still the one to use?

EDIT: durrr, it even has a thread. Found it.

UncleGuito
May 8, 2005

www.ipadbackdrops.com daily wallpaper updates deserving of your iPad

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

What's the go-to SA forums app? Is the one on the OP still the one to use?

EDIT: durrr, it even has a thread. Found it.

I'd go with Something. Really nice interface & quite stable.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

UncleGuito posted:

I'd go with Something. Really nice interface & quite stable.

It still can't link to posts within the app, it just goes to top of page. So awful still rules the roost here.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

The text in Awful is dark grey which makes it a bit harder to read.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

ShaneB posted:

I suddenly realized my gmail hasn't been syncing in the background for about a week. I've checked everything I know to check, but it seems I have to manually do it or nothing is happening. Nexus 5, latest everything. Help?

Anyone? :(

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

System Settings -> Accounts -> [your Google account] -> make sure Gmail is checked. Failing that, System Settings -> Apps -> Gmail -> Clear Data and hope that fixes it.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Vykk.Draygo posted:

System Settings -> Accounts -> [your Google account] -> make sure Gmail is checked. Failing that, System Settings -> Apps -> Gmail -> Clear Data and hope that fixes it.

Looks like the clear data fixed it. Thanks for the tip. I should have tried that first!

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I'm on my phone, so I can't check my old post, but my the app I've been using for my school email (Blue Mail) has decided to kill my battery for the last time. I had tried Gmail's 3rd-party integration and didn't like it for some reason. I've used K-9 before and it worked well enough, but I'd like something a little prettier. Any suggestions?

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Gyshall posted:

google's keyboard is sick nasty tbh, especially once you teach it how to swear/use slang

I know a guy who enabled swearing with Google Keyboard, but it still hesitates to swear even after training. Myself, I just leave it disabled and if you see me swearing then you know I'm really pissed, because I took the time to punch it in manually.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

On the other hand I've had some amazing suggested words pop up out of nowhere, they've done wonders for my social life

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

LastInLine posted:

Actually I'm in a beta group for a Material weather app called Simple Weather

And of course there's a dozen apps called "Simple Weather" in the play store. :rolleyes:

Which one?

edit: VVV thanks for the :effort: :)

AnimalChin fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Feb 1, 2015

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

AnimalChin posted:

And of course there's a dozen apps called "Simple Weather" in the play store. :rolleyes:

Which one?
You can't get to it if you aren't in the Google+ group and signed up for the beta. Until you're approved for it it the URL just returns a page not found. It cannot be found through a search even if you are in the beta.

Edit: Found the link to it: Here you go.

You aren't missing much, by the way. First off, it's being developed by a literal high schooler so your expectations should be adjusted. Secondly, the best thing thing it has going for it is that it is what's on the box: it's simply the weather. Last, it's not what I would call useful.

I don't mean that in a bad way, I just mean that the whole point of the Forecast.io API is to be able to build uniquely useful weather apps. The timeline one is a great example as you couldn't do that without the Forecast.io API. This is just a weather app. It shows the current conditions, the next few days' forecasts, and a detailed breakdown of conditions. Through the navigation hamburger menu you can see a detailed view of the next days' forecasts, the hour by hour breakdown of temp/precip, and a precipitation map that always starts centered on equitorial Africa (convenient if you live in Benin!) and that's it. Maybe there's a widget, I don't know, but the real draw is that it's 100% Material Design and looks good even if it's not useful in any way.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Feb 1, 2015

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

hooah posted:

I'm on my phone, so I can't check my old post, but my the app I've been using for my school email (Blue Mail) has decided to kill my battery for the last time. I had tried Gmail's 3rd-party integration and didn't like it for some reason. I've used K-9 before and it worked well enough, but I'd like something a little prettier. Any suggestions?

You want to use nine.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ninefolders.hd3

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Does Nine have a free version? It's not exchange, so I don't need that aspect of it.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Mikl posted:

I use this one for running, it works fine.

This will work, thanks.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I know it's come up a lot in the thread but I ctrl+f the last ten or so pages and didn't see it come up. What are the good alarm clock apps? I'm tired of dealing with the stock Galaxy S5 one. Bonus points if the app can change up my alarm clock from a playlist.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Len posted:

I know it's come up a lot in the thread but I ctrl+f the last ten or so pages and didn't see it come up. What are the good alarm clock apps? I'm tired of dealing with the stock Galaxy S5 one. Bonus points if the app can change up my alarm clock from a playlist.

I like Morning Routine, despite the frankly over designed UI. I also like Alarm Clock Xtreme as well. There's probably better out there.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Is there a way to get Tapet to show up in the regular Live Wallpapers list?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

hooah posted:

Is there a way to get Tapet to show up in the regular Live Wallpapers list?

Not sure if it could be classified as a live wallpaper since it isn't functionally the same. Does Muzei show up?

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.

Len posted:

Timely is the modern go-to, but you have to use its [actually pretty good] alarm tones.

For customization, go with Gentle Alarm. It has literally everything, in a lovely Gingerbread interface, but it's still the second most reliable alarm out there.

Anybody have interest in me basically re-writing the OP for 2015?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

FAUXTON posted:

Not sure if it could be classified as a live wallpaper since it isn't functionally the same. Does Muzei show up?

No idea; I don't generally like photo wallpapers that much, so I never used it. I see what you mean about the classification, though.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!

Len posted:

Life Time Alarm Clock is worth checking out, you can find some good discussion about it in the last page starting here.

I'm not entirely happy with it but if this is your first foray into alarm apps in the store you'll probably like it.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
Is there an alternative to the Google Authenticator app that I can use from multiple devices?

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

fletcher posted:

Is there an alternative to the Google Authenticator app that I can use from multiple devices?

Authy

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

fletcher posted:

Google Authenticator works, just scan the QR code on multiple devices.

There's also one that does cloud-sync which LastInLine is going to post the name of because I forget what it is but he uses it.

Tunga fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Feb 3, 2015

Studebaker Hawk
May 22, 2004

Tunga posted:

Google Authenticator works, just scan the QR code on multiple devices.

There's also one that does cloud-sync which Last In Line is going to post the name of because I forget what it is but he uses it.

that is authy, mentioned above

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah apparently I hadn't refreshed the thread for ages when I posted that, derp.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
Why doesn't the Google camera app just scan QR codes, why do I need to have another app when I barely scan qr codes in the first place.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

Why doesn't the Google camera app just scan QR codes, why do I need to have another app when I barely scan qr codes in the first place.
It used to be in Google Now, was removed for no apparent reason.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

1) What do you have against Google Authenticator, exactly?

2) Authy involves bringing yet another third party into your security.

3) I don't know if KeePassDroid does TOTP generation but Keepass2Android does. (Same rules apply as normal Keepass: use a private key that isn't just something downloaded from the Internet and don't put the private key in online storage with the database, just move that over USB.)

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Sir Unimaginative posted:

1) What do you have against Google Authenticator, exactly?

2) Authy involves bringing yet another third party into your security.

3) I don't know if KeePassDroid does TOTP generation but Keepass2Android does. (Same rules apply as normal Keepass: use a private key that isn't just something downloaded from the Internet and don't put the private key in online storage with the database, just move that over USB.)
1) The best part about Authy and presumably the reason he's looking into it is that the you don't have to repeat setup to use it and you can have it in multiple places and on multiple devices.

2) So? It's an RSA key, whether it's Google or Authy it's still a third party.

3) Keepass is great unless you're a normal person. If you want any semblance of not janitoring for your security constantly Keepass is not worthy of a mention (also how do you move the database? Isn't that via ~*~*THIRD PARTY IN YOUR SECURITY*~*~, i.e. Dropbox?).

All a second factor does is stop someone from remotely accessing your account by requiring the person have a physical object to log in. Authy does that exactly as well as Google Authenticator and does so more conveniently.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

LastInLine posted:

1) The best part about Authy and presumably the reason he's looking into it is that the you don't have to repeat setup to use it and you can have it in multiple places and on multiple devices.

2) So? It's an RSA key, whether it's Google or Authy it's still a third party.

3) Keepass is great unless you're a normal person. If you want any semblance of not janitoring for your security constantly Keepass is not worthy of a mention (also how do you move the database? Isn't that via ~*~*THIRD PARTY IN YOUR SECURITY*~*~, i.e. Dropbox?).

All a second factor does is stop someone from remotely accessing your account by requiring the person have a physical object to log in. Authy does that exactly as well as Google Authenticator and does so more conveniently.

1) Convenience is nice, I'll give you that; convenience being the only priority (even over quality posting) seems to be your MO in particular, though, so maybe it doesn't carry the weight you want it to.

2) Or any other time-code generator.

3) Or any other file storage, and without both the password and the private key the database is basically a one-time pad. (Obscuring its identity as a database only on top of all this, not on its own, you pedants, may come in handy.)

As to why I'd rather do it that way? Law firms and banks, who are actually accredited and regulated like people who are worth trusting with security matters, don't generally have password or additional-factor management services for the public. And without either that regulation or some way to verify those companies are handling security and a make-whole clause on default (and good luck getting those in the US), you're basically trusting some jerks with a web site and a catchy name with your online identity (and increasingly your actual identity).

Edit: Before I forget. Yeah, I know ultimately you're trusting "some jerks with a web site" with most things on the Internet. But at least most of the time you're only trusting them with security involving them, for purposes involving them, and PCI and HIPAA mean either they're deferring things to the source if it's actually close to you or you shouldn't deal with them. LastPass and Authy and other such services involve you trusting them with security involving everybody, with no clawback provision. At least Google is too big to ignore, for all the good it'll do.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Feb 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
So instead you trust all of your security Dropbox, a site that has been broken into repeatedly and has one of the idiots who started the NSA mess on its board of directors?

• Locked thread