Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
it cant be worse than the OS on my samsung smart tv.

or that thing's just bad because the processor in it is about as fast a pII as best I can tell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Stringent posted:

i'm genuinely curious just how terrible tizen is

it's a featurephone os what do you think

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Stringent posted:

if it's anything like their previous attempt at an os (bada) it'll be loving terrible

if it somehow incorporates touchwiz into that then i might as well poke my eyes out and remove the skin from my fingers

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

annapacketstormaya posted:

or that thing's just bad because the processor in it is about as fast a pII as best I can tell

the current samsung smart tvs run tizen.

so i guess you could say it is exactly as bad

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
its funny how much nerds hate touchwiz but normal people dont have a problem

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Nintendo Kid posted:

normal people are dumb

but so are nerds

makes u think

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

Nintendo Kid posted:

its funny how much nerds hate but normal people dont have a problem

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

normal people have problems with touchwizz they just don't specifically identify it as the problem or they assume it's their fault for not understanding technology or whatever

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

annapacketstormaya posted:

an embedded system shouldn't need anything remotely as fast as a PII to have a responsive UI. samsung just sucks and is brute forcing a poo poo OS.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

THC posted:

normal people have problems with touchwizz they just don't specifically identify it as the problem or they assume it's their fault for not understanding technology or whatever
judging by samsungs and apples sales it sure seems like theyve correctly identified the problem

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

THC posted:

no they do not, insane people like you want them to.

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

do u use touchwiz fishmech

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Shifty Pony posted:

an embedded system shouldn't need anything remotely as fast as a PII to have a responsive UI. samsung just sucks and is brute forcing a poo poo OS.

good thing a 1.5 ghz multicore arm still isn't remotely as fast as a PII :smith:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

theadder posted:

do u use touchwiz fishmech

no but i did for like a year. it was fine.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

good thing a 1.5 ghz multicore arm still isn't remotely as fast as a PII :smith:

lol what

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Nintendo Kid posted:

good 2 hear it keep up the good work itt

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Nintendo Kid posted:

Nintendo Kid posted:

itt fishmech is not a nerd, he is a normal people

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Nintendo Kid posted:

its funny how much nerds hate touchwiz but people with no taste dont have a problem

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Stringent posted:

my coworker that recently came here from 8 years at samsung said tizen is the worst operating system he's ever seen, so

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Sagebrush posted:

is it pronounced like "citizen" or like "appetizing"

same coworker says it like appetizing, so i assume that's correct

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Nintendo Kid posted:

same coworker again says nearly everyone working at samsung thinks touchwiz is far & away the worst of the major android ui things, including the people that actually write it, so sounds like you're just being contrarian. what a surprise.

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

lol google still losing market share

http://gs.statcounter.com/press/yahoo-gains-further

losing safari would be epic

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

cremnob posted:

i tried yahoo search with firefox, and i do not care for it. for one thing, it automatically opens links in a new tab. if i want a new tab, i will ask for it :mad:

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

fart simpson posted:

my coworker that recently came here from 8 years at samsung said tizen is the worst operating system he's ever seen, so

yeah that sounds about right

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Tizen? More like tisane

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Stringent posted:

yeah that sounds about right

some of samsung's internal software is epically awful

their internal webmail client (which they forced everyone to use by killing outlook/exchange support) started deleting everything after 30 days or when you hit 100MB in your inbox with no way to restore. it also had some strange social networking things integrated into it with personalized pages for each employee.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Shifty Pony posted:

their internal webmail client (which they forced everyone to use by killing outlook/exchange support) started deleting everything after 30 days or when you hit 100MB in your inbox with no way to restore. it also had some strange social networking things integrated into it with personalized pages for each employee.

This is probably the sensible way to force people to use a DMS to track important issues. If both are terrible though :derp:

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Shifty Pony posted:

my favorite thing is that apparently the email system blocks any emails that contain the actual name of the son of the chairman of samsung or something

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

cremnob posted:

lol yeah that would indeed be epic for the win

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

MrMoo posted:

This is probably the sensible way to force people to use a DMS to track important issues. If both are terrible though :derp:

you are assuming a dms existed. a workflow system was integrated into the email thing but that's about it.

an engineer in quality control rolled his own dms to track critical issues and it was so effective it was used site wide. then hq found out about it, said they were going to implement it company wide, and proceeded to turn it over to the internal software folks who then stripped out all of the useful features and flexibility that made it so effective in the first place.

Oh and relocated the server to Korea so we couldn't touch it and had to be logged into a slow as balls vpn to use. which is a problem when the best way to document a problem is 130mb of raw photos or an hd video showing a robot exhibiting bad movement due to a failed bearing. and those photos and videos had to be embedded into a word doc because .tif and .mpeg weren't supported file types (remember I said they removed the flexibility?).

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Boxturret posted:

lol yeah that would indeed be epic for the win

yeah google would lose out on the 0.8% of people using safari in the year of our lord 2015

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Maybe if you included mobile safari in that it would matter

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
why is chrome so bad at decoding gifs? and why does it lock up the whole browser while decoding them

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Silver Alicorn posted:

why is chrome so bad at decoding gifs? and why does it lock up the whole browser while decoding them
mostly because gifs were invented almost 30 years ago
also chome

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
firefox doesn't choke on gifs that have more than 3 frames though

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Silver Alicorn posted:

kalstrams posted:

also chome

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Silver Alicorn posted:

its u

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
idk my installion of ff can get slowdowns on pages with multiple gifs

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

my installation of firefox sometimes freezes up for 5 seconds for no apparent reason and sometimes pegs a CPU core to 100% until it's killed when playing some html5 videos.

chrome does neither of these things but its also bad so welp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Silver Alicorn posted:

firefox isnt based on dumbass webkit

• Locked thread