Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Potato Salad posted:

Isn't it easier to email the employees upon deactivation of their account and preempt questions?

"Hello Ex-Employee, your boss [boss name] has removed you on our account."

Employer has the ability to remove/deactivate their own users. We won't even know until its billing time. So we get a call from some dude who can't log in, start looking at the client account, and then its...okay, well, someone deactivated the account. Better call your boss to see what's up. And then have people yelling that it must be a mistake and I should turn it back on. Yeah, no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Siochain posted:

Employer has the ability to remove/deactivate their own users. We won't even know until its billing time. So we get a call from some dude who can't log in, start looking at the client account, and then its...okay, well, someone deactivated the account. Better call your boss to see what's up. And then have people yelling that it must be a mistake and I should turn it back on. Yeah, no.

It seems incredible to me that a company could gently caress up the process of notifying users in that situation.
That seems to just beg for someone to find out they are shitcanned while still in a situation to do something really stupid about it.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

CitizenKain posted:

It seems incredible to me that a company could gently caress up the process of notifying users in that situation.
That seems to just beg for someone to find out they are shitcanned while still in a situation to do something really stupid about it.

Oh likely. It happens a lot. As soon as we see account deactivated, we're done, we won't touch it. Talk to your boss buddy.

We've had people let go of admin-privilege (to our system) users, without deactivating their account. Then they get mad when ex-employee goes all Carrie on their data/setup. Mad at us, that is, because we should have known they were fired, you see. Those ones are just "transfer to sales rep" to deal with, hosed if my rear end is getting chewed out for some idiots bad decision.

Long story short, most employers are terrible loving people.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I only offer "Notify the user who did what" as a possibility as that's what VMware does for corporate accounts. I was notified when my supervisor added me to the account, when my role was elevated, and when we were moving stuff around, removed. :shrug:

Your point isn't lost on me though; I definitely see where that can tip an employee off to being purged from a workplace.

Killer_B
May 23, 2005

Uh?

President Ark posted:

The other guys are still employed. This company used to do both residential stuff and small businesses; they're dropping the residential stuff, and since their small business stuff has been slow, they don't have enough work for 4 people. Since I was the guy who usually worked on the residential stuff, I got the axe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0-pZ62AA3A

A somewhat appropriate video, would be funnier if it wasn't true.

Sorry to hear about your hassles with the place. :(

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

We have a handful of service centers and such that need to tear down machines, test parts, etc.

Guy that runs that department comes up to me asking for some 'software' to put guides together, or make web pages out of 'instructions in word documents'.

I showed him Dokuzi. What iFixIt runs on. 100% the perfect solution to his problems. I told him to get with our internal service department and maybe they can split the costs or something.

Comes back to me today saying that it costs money and needs something free. He's just going to snail mail or email documents to service centers. Get hosed buddy.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Virtual device I'm using to migrate our IDS sensors to a new version wasn't working this morning. The script I'm trying to run keeps saying something about now having enough space on the volume to create the log directory. So I hand it over to our linux dude, and he checks the directory and finds a 206 GB log file from a hung process.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

psydude posted:

206 GB log file from a hung process.

A very well hung process.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

psydude posted:

Virtual device I'm using to migrate our IDS sensors to a new version wasn't working this morning. The script I'm trying to run keeps saying something about now having enough space on the volume to create the log directory. So I hand it over to our linux dude, and he checks the directory and finds a 206 GB log file from a hung process.

well, the logging works!

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

a ticket came in..... office internet was out till about 10am, good thing my car is buried under 18 inches of snow (actually more thanks to plows burying it further) and I had no expectations of going into work today. Shoveled my girlfriend's car out and then sat down on the couch and fired up VPN, I'll deal with my car later!

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

MF_James posted:

a ticket came in..... office internet was out till about 10am, good thing my car is buried under 18 inches of snow (actually more thanks to plows burying it further) and I had no expectations of going into work today. Shoveled my girlfriend's car out and then sat down on the couch and fired up VPN, I'll deal with my car later!

Thanks to wind both of our cars had a snow drift up to the roofline. Spent most of the morning shoveling it out only to realize that the cars could not actually drive on the street since we hadn't been plowed and the roads were ~2ft of snow.

Got my boss in their 4x4 to pick me up at around Noon. If they don't plow my street it'll be the same thing tomorrow.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
A power outage came in. It was my first time powering down our server room, so it was actually kinda fun. It didn't come back on for like two hours, so now I'm at home watching anime on my Chromecast and keeping an eye on my inbox.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]
"The VPN address pool is empty."

Looks like the staff decided to peaceably protest the "All staff must report in this morning while it's blizzarding out" order.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Lord Dudeguy posted:

"The VPN address pool is empty."

Looks like the staff decided to peaceably protest the "All staff must report in this morning while it's blizzarding out" order.

I really wish there was some law in place where if all public services have been cancelled you shouldn't be expected to drive to work. Our bus system was still running but it had a 45 minute delay which means at any point you could be sitting outside in -20c weather for almost an hour with no shelter (most bus stations are just a sign here).

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]
I love my local news website comments. A lot of "Small business owners" who complain every time the governor issues a driving ban, complaining about how he's stealing money out of their pockets, etc. etc. etc.

I always ask them to out themselves so I can avoid doing business with them. They never bite.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Eldercain posted:

A very well hung process.

:drat:

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out
As a person living in the south, we should be telecommuting only when the weather hits anything below freezing and there is precipitation. My work is a 5 minute drive from home through lights and I can and have jogged to/from work, but as soon as a single flake of snow hits the ground it is a horrifying circus out there. And yet every time, we don't get told to go home until noon at which point it takes 2 hours by car to get back through the gridlock caused by people freaking out and having accidents.

I really wish I were exaggerating about those times too. I can't imagine people who have a longer commute having to do that, and it seems kind of idiotic to endager a bunch of employees who can do the same work from a remote login.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I telecommute whenever I'm allowed to because I get 5 times as much work done.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Eldercain posted:

I really wish I were exaggerating about those times too. I can't imagine people who have a longer commute having to do that, and it seems kind of idiotic to endager a bunch of employees who can do the same work from a remote login.

It seems idiotic to you because you see those employees as human beings.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Eldercain posted:

During Atlanta's hilarious snow mess last year, I was the only one from my team who actually read the weather report and worked from home that day, even though everyone can do it if they need to. Everyone else went in to work, tried to leave at noon along with everyone else in the entire metro area, and were all stuck in their cars or random roadside businesses for the next six to thirty-six hours.

Now every time it gets chilly and cloudy, they all come to me to ask if they should come in to work tomorrow or not. :v:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

psydude posted:

One of my favourite Dilbert strips has Dilbert working from home and he asks Dogbert if he owes the company 8 productive hours, or if he only owes the 2 productive hours he would have had at the office.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Collateral Damage posted:

One of my favourite Dilbert strips has Dilbert working from home and he asks Dogbert if he owes the company 8 productive hours, or if he only owes the 2 productive hours he would have had at the office.

I have to go in for a couple days this week; I (and everyone else on my usually-remote team) fully expects that any day in the office will be primarily lost to people walking over to our desks and saying "Hey long time no see" and shooting the poo poo for 30-60 minutes a pop.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
A ticket came in:

quote:

My computer is having a problem. It sounds like it's snoring really loudly. Is there anything I can do here?

It took everything in me not to respond with "Wake it up" or "Try Breathe Right strips." :3:

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Ursine Asylum posted:

I have to go in for a couple days this week; I (and everyone else on my usually-remote team) fully expects that any day in the office will be primarily lost to people walking over to our desks and saying "Hey long time no see" and shooting the poo poo for 30-60 minutes a pop.

That's worth more to the company than the loss of otherwise productive hours, whether they know it or not.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Mattavist posted:

That's worth more to the company than the loss of otherwise productive hours, whether they know it or not.

That's why it's both accepted and expected that any morning status update that starts off with "Went into the office yesterday" isn't going to have much of substance. Not going to lie, whatever faults there are, it's a pretty good company/team to work for.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Collateral Damage posted:

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

dennyk posted:

During Atlanta's hilarious snow mess last year, I was the only one from my team who actually read the weather report and worked from home that day, even though everyone can do it if they need to. Everyone else went in to work, tried to leave at noon along with everyone else in the entire metro area, and were all stuck in their cars or random roadside businesses for the next six to thirty-six hours.

Now every time it gets chilly and cloudy, they all come to me to ask if they should come in to work tomorrow or not. :v:

I was sick during the first day of the Snowpocalypse -- which was really more of a clusterflake -- so I got to sit back and sip honeyed tea all afternoon, evening, and night while people were stuck in 16+ hour traffic jams. For my co-workers, it was the worst IT day in recent memory; everyone who had up to that point refused to take computers home and familiarize themselves with our telecommuting resources was all of a sudden in a panic about learning in one afternoon what they should have been slowly practicing over time.

80% of the office is good about keeping up to date and doing work from home either regularly or once every few weeks, but those remaining 20%...

Picture 20+ people who didn't even know their laptops and docking stations were different things suddenly panicking because their boss said they are expected to work from home the next few days. We are a team of four, and I was out.

Edit: Recollecting on this more, I remember a team member pointing out that the most frequent question was, "What is my home wifi?" :smithicide:

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Feb 3, 2015

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Mo_Steel posted:

It took everything in me not to respond with "Wake it up" or "Try Breathe Right strips." :3:

When one user at a client I was visiting mentioned that her mouse was missing, I advised her to check at home, check her bags, and bring in the cat for questioning.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

psydude posted:

I force myself to go into work, because I get about 5 minutes of it done working from home. Working from home would be great if I could actually manage to stay on track.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Volmarias posted:

I force myself to go into work, because I get about 5 minutes of it done working from home. Working from home would be great if I could actually manage to stay on track.

Set this as your homepage?

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

A ticket came in today... Office 2013 will work after installed... Until the pc is rebooted. Then no applications will load until a re-install (or online repair, which is basically a re-install). We use office 365. The error is useless (I think it's "something went wrong" and mentioning that the requested program couldn't be started). I tried basically everything I could think of or find in a Google search. I ran windows updates, ccleaner, malware scans, the .net repair tool, sfc /scannow. I used the office uninstall tool to remove office.

The event viewer won't load, some error about the snap-in not being installed (which some googling led me to believe was dotnet related, which is why I ran the repair tool). I tried running office programs in safe mode (though not windows in safe mode, I basically ran out of time). Launching the application or trying to just open a file give the error.

All I can think to do now is reinstall Windows because what the hell else could fix it

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

myron cope posted:

A ticket came in today... Office 2013 will work after installed... Until the pc is rebooted. Then no applications will load until a re-install (or online repair, which is basically a re-install). We use office 365. The error is useless (I think it's "something went wrong" and mentioning that the requested program couldn't be started). I tried basically everything I could think of or find in a Google search. I ran windows updates, ccleaner, malware scans, the .net repair tool, sfc /scannow. I used the office uninstall tool to remove office.

The event viewer won't load, some error about the snap-in not being installed (which some googling led me to believe was dotnet related, which is why I ran the repair tool). I tried running office programs in safe mode (though not windows in safe mode, I basically ran out of time). Launching the application or trying to just open a file give the error.

All I can think to do now is reinstall Windows because what the hell else could fix it

Replace harddrive with SSD if it isn't already done, re-image the PC with the deployment tools you should already have created.

Here's a hint: If event viewer won't load, that's a sign that something is very very wrong with the computer. Most likely a broken harddrive.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Mo_Steel posted:

Set this as your homepage?

Ha! The problem is that I immediately jump from opening a tab to typing the URL, so this wouldn't do much.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

evobatman posted:

Replace harddrive with SSD if it isn't already done, re-image the PC with the deployment tools you should already have created.

Here's a hint: If event viewer won't load, that's a sign that something is very very wrong with the computer. Most likely a broken harddrive.

Yeah, most likely I would've immediately gone to a re-image after the office re-install didn't work. I only have so many hours in a day to mess with one computer, so I rarely give anything more than an hour of troubleshooting before I bust out the MDT boot stick.

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

"I need to know how to disable spelling and autocorrect so that I can fully express myself with my linguistic style"

Too good. Holy cow.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

AAB posted:

"I need to know how to disable spelling and autocorrect so that I can fully express myself with my linguistic style"

Too good. Holy cow.

Amazing.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

AAB posted:

Too good. Holy cow.

This can't be real.

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Do it.

Then follow up with how their linguistic skills improve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

This sounds like something one of our(soon to be former) sysadmins would ask for.

I have seriously had to get on him for sending out company wide emails without any capitalization and using ellipsis all over the place.

• Locked thread