Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?

stickyfngrdboy posted:

phooey, these stories are not enough plots and the characters need traits more. thats the only things you can like in the movies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

david_a posted:

There are absolutely Star Wars people who like the prequels. Deep in their hearts they might have a tingling sensation that they're not very good, but by gawd, they're part of The Canon and are therefore inherently elevated above non-Star Wars trash.

The weird thing about Episode 3, for me, was that I enjoyed it the first time I saw it. Upon a second viewing, I noticed all the shots were framed terribly, the action scenes were clumsy as gently caress, the dialogue sucked, all the actors felt like they just read their line 5 minutes ago. I honestly have no idea how I enjoyed it that first time.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

david_a posted:

There are absolutely Star Wars people who like the prequels. Deep in their hearts they might have a tingling sensation that they're not very good, but by gawd, they're part of The Canon and are therefore inherently elevated above non-Star Wars trash.

Well yes, there are people who like everything, but the internet in general hates them with a deep fiery passion.

The Pickles
Apr 9, 2011

You should try this wonderful lunch. It's more than a delicious tasty crunch.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

The weird thing about Episode 3, for me, was that I enjoyed it the first time I saw it. Upon a second viewing, I noticed all the shots were framed terribly, the action scenes were clumsy as gently caress, the dialogue sucked, all the actors felt like they just read their line 5 minutes ago. I honestly have no idea how I enjoyed it that first time.

Because the first time you were just listening to the music.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

I like all six star wars films. Not because they're good films. Nobody who likes Star wars films likes them because they're good films.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

stickyfngrdboy posted:

I like all six star wars films. Not because they're good films. Nobody who likes Star wars films likes them because they're good films.

The first two are.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

TrixRabbi posted:

The first two are.

Lol no they're not, they're badly written, badly acted, and the dialogue is appalling. They have great characters, set design, and score. These things dont make a film good. Childhood memories of when you first watched them might.

I love those two films, they're in my all time top films of all time forever, but good they are not. Ahem.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Many films are good despite script problems and chunky acting.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Big Trouble in Little China is my favorite movie of all time, and it's definitely not because it's a tightly paced and masterfully crafted work of cinematic achievement.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

stickyfngrdboy posted:

Lol no they're not, they're badly written, badly acted, and the dialogue is appalling. They have great characters, set design, and score. These things dont make a film good. Childhood memories of when you first watched them might.

I love those two films, they're in my all time top films of all time forever, but good they are not. Ahem.

Actually for me great characters and great set design do make a film good. The term "good" is so subjective that its meaningless for the purposes of film(or art in general) discussion.

I don't find Blade Runner to be a particularly well-acted film but it may be my favorite of all-time.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Feb 2, 2015

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?

e: all joking aside, I'd love to hear your no doubt parochial-as-hell take on where the line is between substance and craftsmanship.

The Time Dissolver fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Feb 2, 2015

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Yeah top top reading comprehension on show here, keep up the good work.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

stickyfngrdboy posted:

The pacing is impeccable, the action is fantastic, you never even notice the dialogue is weak until you've watched it two or three times because you're so swept up in the story. You never for a loving minute think you're watching toy models. There's far far worse scripts out there and what Star Wars (New Hope whatever the gently caress you wanna call it) does is take a slightly below average screenplay and turn it to something that's still loving fun 40 years later. That is the mark of a good movie.

poo poo man, I'm not even a mega Star Wars fan or anything, never had much childhood attachment, but whenever I do watch it it still blows me away.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Star Wars Episode 1 is cool because the robots and aliens look rad. Sorry to all the haters.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Disclosure: I still to this day have never watched the prequels.

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
Boy, that film's production design and music were so wonderful, but the story was pretty rote. And the acting was so unrealistic! What was it called again? "The Umbrellas of Cherbourg"? Meh. Reminded me of Star Wars.

Ugh, I can't stand Chuck Jones cartoons. It seems like that guy's only tricks are impeccable comic timing, hilarious facial expressions, and expressing his characters' states of mind through stylized backgrounds.

The Time Dissolver fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Feb 2, 2015

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Ugh, everything about this movie was loving great. Top 5 favorite films of all time for me. Except I realized that after watching it for the 40th time that the dialogue is a little on the weaker side. So it's actually bad.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

TrixRabbi posted:

The pacing is impeccable, the action is fantastic, you never even notice the dialogue is weak until you've watched it two or three times because you're so swept up in the story. You never for a loving minute think you're watching toy models. There's far far worse scripts out there and what Star Wars (New Hope whatever the gently caress you wanna call it) does is take a slightly below average screenplay and turn it to something that's still loving fun 40 years later. That is the mark of a good movie.

poo poo man, I'm not even a mega Star Wars fan or anything, never had much childhood attachment, but whenever I do watch it it still blows me away.

You didn't notice the dialogue was weak because you were a kid. Everything else that you love about it you love probably because you were a kid watching magic.

There's nothing wrong with liking crap films, but pretending they're anything other than crap is insane.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

stickyfngrdboy posted:

You didn't notice the dialogue was weak because you were a kid. Everything else that you love about it you love probably because you were a kid watching magic.

There's nothing wrong with liking crap films, but pretending they're anything other than crap is insane.

Your definitions of "crap" and "good" seem insanely narrow.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

stickyfngrdboy posted:

I told you, I saw that movie once when I was a kid. I never really noticed how good it was until I saw it in college. I still don't notice the dialogue because the film reels me in whenever I watch it.

I still don't get this "I love this movie, but it's crap" attitude. Clearly enough about that film works that you would count it amongst your favorite films of all time. But because it doesn't quite reach perfection then it's garbage? What would improve the movie for you? What would you change to make it better than it is?

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
this really good movie everyone else likes, is actually loving garbage because I don't like it

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

this really good movie everyone else likes, is actually loving garbage because I don't like it

But he does like it.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
Just because you really enjoy something doesn't mean it's good. I like a big Mac. Some people love one direction.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

Wow everyone else like it it must be good

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Crappy Jack posted:

Big Trouble in Little China is my favorite movie of all time, and it's definitely not because it's a tightly paced and masterfully crafted work of cinematic achievement.

... Except it is tightly paced... And masterfully crafted...

Personally, I don't think Star Wars has aged particularly well. I remember one time me and some buddies had found some fan-restored, non-special edition version of it and watched it together and we were kind of perplexed by how uninspiring it was. The pacing is definitely a problem, and it's a product of both the acting, quality of dialog, and, frankly, George Lucas's style of direction. This is stuff I've only picked up on from reading bits and pieces about its production, but the film plays very much like an abstract 'proof of concept' that's been hacked down from this abomination that the filmmaker really did envision as kind of a sterile and distant throwback to old sci-fi serials.

But The Empire Strikes Back is still a very well made movie with quite good dialog and acting. There's nothing deluded or naive about calling that film great cinema. (I haven't seen Return recently enough to remember, nor the prequels recently enough to be impartial.)

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

stickyfngrdboy posted:

Just because you really enjoy something doesn't mean it's good. I like a big Mac. Some people love one direction.

How is it bad?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

K. Waste posted:

... Except it is tightly paced... And masterfully crafted...

Personally, I don't think Star Wars has aged particularly well. I remember one time me and some buddies had found some fan-restored, non-special edition version of it and watched it together and we were kind of perplexed by how uninspiring it was. The pacing is definitely a problem, and it's a product of both the acting, quality of dialog, and, frankly, George Lucas's style of direction. This is stuff I've only picked up on from reading bits and pieces about its production, but the film plays very much like an abstract 'proof of concept' that's been hacked down from this abomination that the filmmaker really did envision as kind of a sterile and distant throwback to old sci-fi serials.

But The Empire Strikes Back is still a very well made movie with quite good dialog and acting. There's nothing deluded or naive about calling that film great cinema. (I haven't seen Return recently enough to remember, nor the prequels recently enough to be impartial.)

This is basically how I feel about them, but "admit they're crap even if you like them or you're insane" is a dumb take. I don't know if I've ever seen a perfect movie; drawing a line and saying a "good" one is defined by punchy dialogue and a tight plot is just arbitrary.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

stickyfngrdboy posted:

Conversely, just because people say something is objectively bad does not make it so. It's true enough that you can enjoy something while feeling it's not that good, but I feel like this argument is deployed to politely say "you can't objectively say X is any good."

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

I think Attack of the 50 Foot Woman is a good movie even if the special effects are crap. That doesn't make the entire movie itself crap.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

TrixRabbi posted:

How is it bad?

Well it's badly paced, there are about a million continuity errors, the acting is so bad that there are cringe-worthy moments in any given half hour of screen time (throughout six films). No other film series would get away with this and still be called 'good'.

The directing isn't much to write home about, the script and dialogue is genuinely laughable at times, people say stuff that makes no sense even in the context of stupid space movie (I can provide examples if the examiner so requests). There's a lot more I could say but if the only genuinely, objectively, good things about a film are its character design and score I don't see how even its most ardent fans can describe it as good.

We forgive these things because we like watching star wars, which is great because I love them and I have brand loyalty just like everyone else.

Also, everything I've said above could probably apply to the prequels. Why did no one like those, again?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
It's not even a logical argument. If Star Wars is only good because of nostalgia then why was it such a phenomenon the summer it was released? People in 1977 obviously thought it was at least "good".

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Know what's better than Star Wars and on Netflix? Message From Space.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

morestuff posted:

I don't know if I've ever seen a perfect movie

If I had to guess, this would be either Die Hard or The Lion King. Movies without any discernible flaws.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
To go back to the last topic we spent multiple pages on, how are the seasons of Spartacus after S1 when he dies and the whole thing changes? Still good, or should I just rewatch Rome?

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...
the only good movies are the birth of a nation, citizen kane, casablanca, and 2001: a space odyssey

close thread pls

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

If I had to guess, this would be either Die Hard or The Lion King. Movies without any discernible flaws.

The Lion King is bad because its most popular song is against the overarching theme of the film (see also: Little Mermaid).

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

computer parts posted:

The Lion King is bad because its most popular song is against the overarching theme of the film (see also: Little Mermaid).

How exactly does the AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHSVENNNNYAAAAAAA song go against the theme of Lion King?

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

a worthy uhh posted:

How exactly does the AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHSVENNNNYAAAAAAA song go against the theme of Lion King?

Doesn't that translate to "Here comes a lion. Oh yes, it's a lion."?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

a worthy uhh posted:

Hakuna Matata.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

dongsbot 9000 posted:

the only good movies are the birth of a nation, citizen kane, casablanca, and 2001: a space odyssey

close thread pls

2001 has no plot, and that dialogue, jesus! Every loving line is stunted like a ROBOT is saying it.

• Locked thread