Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

My 5 year old brother said to me while shaving his gray beard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

EmmyOk posted:

I am sure that guy's side of the story is 100% accurate and not biased. He never carried a printer!

This reminds me of a pretty awesome story which may or may not have happened:

http://youtu.be/y0XtNGuijqc?t=3m23s

screech on the beach
Mar 9, 2004
Do people all over the world use ma'am and sir so much in conversation? I thought it was pretty much a Southern US thing.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

LoG posted:

Do people all over the world use ma'am and sir so much in conversation? I thought it was pretty much a Southern US thing.
Everyone in the world uses ma'am and sir all the time to show how intelligent they are, which is step one on our quest to all marry Albert Einstein.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

LoG posted:

I swear I posted about this earlier but I don't think I did but in any case I was wondering the same thing. I've worked several retail jobs and I can't recall hearing myself or anyone saying it more than just a few times, which is why my brain hurts every time I do read it because it seems it's in every story.

Edit: vvvvv makes sense considering I'm in the north part of the midwest haha

cage-free egghead has a new favorite as of 17:57 on Feb 2, 2015

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Lblitzer posted:

I swear I posted about this earlier but I don't think I did but in any case I was wondering the same thing. I've worked several retail jobs and I can't recall hearing myself or anyone saying it more than just a few times, which is why my brain hurts every time I do read it because it seems it's in every story.

That's the one thing that never even registers to me. But I'm from Texas and that's just how I was always raised to talk, especially in a retail setting. I still say sir/ma'am just regularly, but I get that it is strongly regional.

Palisader
Mar 14, 2012

DESPAIR MORTALS, FOR I WISH TO PLAY PATTY-CAKE

LoG posted:

I worked as a manager at a call center (I'm in North Carolina) and our quality team lives in Indiana, and kept dinging the agents for "being disrespectful/rude" because they used ma'am and sir. They argued with us for a good hour about how it sounded condescending to them.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

LoG posted:

I haven't even run into it much in the south really. In my own experience it's mostly been former military (especially the ones who kind of live in the past about it) and police officers.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

I use ma'am and sir all the time :shrug: I just said "thank you ma'am" to the lady at the hotel front desk who broke a five for me for the vending machine.

Pistoph
Jul 4, 2014

Wizard of Smart posted:

I use ma'am and sir all the time :shrug:

Same here, but again, it's a product of the way I was raised. I'm a military brat and both of my parents were born in southern states. It used to really weird me out when adults used to ask me not to address them that way. It's just one way I learned to show respect. :shrug:

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Pistoph posted:

Same here, but again, it's a product of the way I was raised. I'm a military brat and both of my parents were born in southern states. It used to really weird me out when adults used to ask me not to address them that way. It's just one way I learned to show respect. :shrug:

:) "Thank you ma'am."
:byodame: "Don't call me that, do I look like a ma'am to you?!"
:confused: "I'm sorry... sir?"

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013
Okay, I know this is 2 pages ago old but this stuck out to me:

corn in the bible posted:

We're both 17, high, and my friend is 6'4 and ripped so we figure why not? We don't know what the gently caress he's talking about, but "womans" sounds good. We get in his car. He drives down the main road for a while, then turns into this dark alley. poo poo. We see several guys standing there with mirror shades and gun holsters on their hips. poo poo.

The physical quality of his friend never comes up again and it's not used in a "The guys saw my ripped giant of a friend and backed off". It's weird, are they married now?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Pistoph posted:

I grew up in the South and this was a catch-22 as a kid. Half of my friends' parents were chill and friendly and would be like "call me John". The other half though (my parents included) were stuck-up southern assholes who would go "excuse me, that's MR. Smith to you". Its like you were always wrong, and all you were doing was trying to be polite. :smith:

Not to mention the whole "I'm a miss not a m'am!" poo poo's just too complicated, I'm just trying to be nice I don't need your life story.

Double Plus Good
Nov 4, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

I grew up in the South and this was a catch-22 as a kid. Half of my friends' parents were chill and friendly and would be like "call me John". The other half though (my parents included) were stuck-up southern assholes who would go "excuse me, that's MR. Smith to you". Its like you were always wrong, and all you were doing was trying to be polite. :smith:

Not to mention the whole "I'm a miss not a m'am!" poo poo's just too complicated, I'm just trying to be nice I don't need your life story.

Yes, that's another weird thing to me, too: parents who make their kids address them as sir and ma'am. I always felt really awkward as a kid at friends' households that were like that. My parents taught me to be respectful of them but they didn't make me speak to them like they were my drill sargeant or anything.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Postal Parcel posted:

The physical quality of his friend never comes up again and it's not used in a "The guys saw my ripped giant of a friend and backed off". It's weird, are they married now?

No, but he wishes they were :smith:

(I think he means "I felt safe doing sketchy things because my bro was huge")

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Pistoph posted:

Both my parents are Southern staters, and they were both military brats so maybe that's where I got it. Neither of them joined the military, but I just always did/do it unless I know the person pretty well. If someone gets mad I just sort of shrug and ask their name, then call them what they tell me. Fortunately I no longer work in customer service so it doesn't matter.

Palisader
Mar 14, 2012

DESPAIR MORTALS, FOR I WISH TO PLAY PATTY-CAKE
Yeah, both my father and his wife are former Marines, so it's ma'am and sir all over the place. That's at least easier than the tangled web of honorifics for women. Do you say Ms. or Mrs.? Doesn't matter, because you'll get yelled at either way!

silencekit
May 1, 2014

Paladinus posted:

I can believe that story, but the fake-sounding dialog really makes it sound less plausible.

It's because every rear end in a top hat on the internet believes that they are living in the most interesting movie ever.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

SLOSifl posted:

Everyone in the world uses ma'am and sir all the time to show how intelligent they are, which is step one on our quest to all marry Albert Einstein.

But only after he comes out publicly as a lesbian...

Invisble Manuel
Nov 4, 2009
I taught high school in southern Texas (about 12 miles from the border). 'Sir' was just a synonym for man there. I had a student say "The sir in the office told me to [whatever it was]".

I'm from Colorado and I had never heard that before. "The sir"

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

signed Site Owner

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

EmmyOk posted:

signed Site Owner

Signed,

JOHN D ROCKAFELLER JR

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Rich old men never marry hot women -- J P MORGAN

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Invisble Manuel posted:

I taught high school in southern Texas (about 12 miles from the border). 'Sir' was just a synonym for man there. I had a student say "The sir in the office told me to [whatever it was]".

I'm from Colorado and I had never heard that before. "The sir"

:eng101: That's a Spanish-ism. Señor is both a title and a noun, so you'd use it in the same way that you'd use sir/mister, and Spanish speaking ESL speakers will sometimes either use the wrong one or use one of them exclusively.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Palisader posted:

Yeah, both my father and his wife are former Marines, so it's ma'am and sir all over the place. That's at least easier than the tangled web of honorifics for women. Do you say Ms. or Mrs.? Doesn't matter, because you'll get yelled at either way!

That's why you eventually get down saying it as a pseudo-grunt "Mz".

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

EmmyOk posted:

signed Site Owner

Man the jp Morgan ceo can't write for poo poo. Maybe I should apply, p sure even I could write better than that dude.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Tolkien lore led a Texas boy to suspension after he brought his “one ring” to school.

Kermit Elementary School officials called it a threat when the 9-year-old boy, Aiden Steward, in a playful act of make-believe, told a classmate he could make him disappear with a ring forged in fictional Middle Earth’s Mount Doom.

“It sounded unbelievable,” the boy’s father, Jason Steward, told the Daily News. He insists his son “didn’t mean anything by it.” The Stewards had just watched “The Hobbit: The Battle of Five Armies” days earlier, inspiring Aiden’s imagination and leading him to proclaim that he had in his possession the one ring to rule them all.

“Kids act out movies that they see. When I watched Superman as a kid, I went outside and tried to fly,” Steward said. Aiden and his family had just seen 'The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies,' which led to his playful declaration that he too had magical powers. Aiden claimed Thursday he could put a ring on his friend's head and make him invisible like Bilbo Baggins, who stole Gollum’s "precious" in J.R.R. Tolkien’s fantasy series “The Lord of the Rings.”

“I assure you my son lacks the magical powers necessary to threaten his friend’s existence,” the boy's father later wrote in an email. "If he did, I'm sure he'd bring him right back."

Principal Roxanne Greer declined to comment on the fourth-grader’s suspension, citing confidentiality policies, according to the Odessa American, who first reported Aiden’s troubles Friday. The family moved to the Kermit Independent School District only six months ago, but it’s been nothing but headaches for Aiden. He’s already been suspended three times this school year. Two of the disciplinary actions this year were in-school suspensions for referring to a classmate as black and bringing his favorite book to school: "The Big Book of Knowledge."

“He loves that book. They were studying the solar system and he took it to school. He thought his teacher would be impressed,” Steward said. But the teacher learned the popular children’s encyclopedia had a section on pregnancy, depicting a pregnant woman in an illustration, he explained.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Fathis Munk posted:

Man the jp Morgan ceo can't write for poo poo. Maybe I should apply, p sure even I could write better than that dude.

It's signed by a CEO and it's from internet, which is practically a confirmation of identity.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Palisader posted:

That's kind of funny because Ms. (pronounced kind of like "mizz") was created specifically to be a default form of address for women regardless of their marital status, to get away from the Miss vs. Mrs. problem when you didn't know.

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer

LoG posted:

I'm not a native speaker but it oftens sounds condescending, or sarcastic to me. Maybe I've read too many of these stdh stories.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
Just do what I do and call everyone dude, but for the record I get called Sir a lot but never ever do it back. :v:

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Kimmalah posted:

That's kind of funny because Ms. (pronounced kind of like "mizz") was created specifically to be a default form of address for women regardless of their marital status, to get away from the Miss vs. Mrs. problem when you didn't know.

In the north, it seems to me that Ms. gets pronounced the same as Miss most of the time. I adopted Ms-pronounced-Mizz in late high school when I started forgetting which of my teachers were married and didn't want to offend anyone.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I call people sir and ma'am all the time, and I was raised in the North by academics with no military background. :confused:

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Pththya-lyi posted:

I call people sir and ma'am all the time, and I was raised in the North by academics with no military background. :confused:

Dude at least try to make your stdh sound believable, no one's gonna buy that one :rolleyes:

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Chamale posted:

“He loves that book. They were studying the solar system and he took it to school. He thought his teacher would be impressed,” Steward said. But the teacher learned the popular children’s encyclopedia had a section on pregnancy, depicting a pregnant woman in an illustration, he explained.

This kid got suspended because he had an encyclopedia with a depiction of a pregnant woman?

:ughh:

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
I actually believe that one in small town Texas.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Lou Takki posted:

This kid got suspended because he had an encyclopedia with a depiction of a pregnant woman?

:ughh:

Well, according to the parents. The school has neither denied nor confirmed any part of the story so we've only got the parents' version of events.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Well, according to the parents. The school has neither denied nor confirmed any part of the story so we've only got the parents' version of events.

I hope the parents are the crazy people here then, not the school.

Although this is the STDH thread, so I'm probably taking it too seriously.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Chamale posted:

Tolkien lore led a Texas boy to suspension after he brought his “one ring” to school.

Kermit Elementary School officials called it a threat when the 9-year-old boy, Aiden Steward, in a playful act of make-believe, told a classmate he could make him disappear with a ring forged in fictional Middle Earth’s Mount Doom.

“It sounded unbelievable,” the boy’s father, Jason Steward, told the Daily News. He insists his son “didn’t mean anything by it.” The Stewards had just watched “The Hobbit: The Battle of Five Armies” days earlier, inspiring Aiden’s imagination and leading him to proclaim that he had in his possession the one ring to rule them all.

“Kids act out movies that they see. When I watched Superman as a kid, I went outside and tried to fly,” Steward said. Aiden and his family had just seen 'The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies,' which led to his playful declaration that he too had magical powers. Aiden claimed Thursday he could put a ring on his friend's head and make him invisible like Bilbo Baggins, who stole Gollum’s "precious" in J.R.R. Tolkien’s fantasy series “The Lord of the Rings.”

“I assure you my son lacks the magical powers necessary to threaten his friend’s existence,” the boy's father later wrote in an email. "If he did, I'm sure he'd bring him right back."

Principal Roxanne Greer declined to comment on the fourth-grader’s suspension, citing confidentiality policies, according to the Odessa American, who first reported Aiden’s troubles Friday. The family moved to the Kermit Independent School District only six months ago, but it’s been nothing but headaches for Aiden. He’s already been suspended three times this school year. Two of the disciplinary actions this year were in-school suspensions for referring to a classmate as black and bringing his favorite book to school: "The Big Book of Knowledge."

It's from the Daily News which is LHF

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
What does LHF mean?

• Locked thread