Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Broken Loose posted:

Yeah, the 25-quests are huge offenders with respect to this; they obviously didn't get enough playtesting because their effects don't make up for completely totaling your economy to achieve them. The expansion's 40-quests are much more worth it, and the expansions in general show that the design of the game greatly benefits from using actual play data.

Do you have any data or other basis for this? With the base game our group has generally found the 25-quests to be very good, with the priest/wizard ones better than the fighter/rogue ones since you can often find some building to get several adventurers of choice. Doing one big quest instead of two small ones saves you the action collecting the other quest, too. With the expansion I've only played the corruption/Skullport half, so haven't tried the 40-point quests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

quote:

Doing one big quest instead of two small ones saves you the action collecting the other quest, too.

At the beginning, you really want to get some lingering effects out of your quests, and at the end bigger quests are risky, and still generally less efficient than small quests that match your Lord. Sometimes you'll end up taking them and they can be OK, but they're not spectacular, and they expose you to really getting hosed by colliding on resource needs (or mandatory quests), and generally they limit your choices.

For the most part my complaint isn't so much about direct balance between individual quests (though there is issues), it's that "getting the quests you want" is such a big contributor to the game's outcome, and you have so little control over it (especially if the players before you in turn order share your quest types).

DonnyTrump
Apr 24, 2010
Girlfriend and I just played a game of Concordia using the metal coins from Tuscany. It was great even though she beat me by 3 points.

JohnnySavs
Dec 28, 2004

I have all the characteristics of a human being.
Trip report:

Olympos - felt similar to Kemet (own it, love it, barely ever win it) with area control and power tiles, but a 7 Wonders ish resource system rather than a numeric economy. Different spots produce different things, which can be captured, and you can get single use resource cubes to round out big purchases. There are occasional Zeus events that favor the faithful, but the big mechanic for me is you are as limited by "time" as anything else. Different actions take you ahead an amount of time (spaces), and you only go again when you are in last, so being efficient with your time gives you more turns.

A couple component issues that came up quickly - that might be due to us misreading the rules - there are some cards that give you a Zeus token, and you are supposed to split Zeus' favor or wrath on ties, but there were only two Zeus tokens, and no way to "split" cards that are to be saved until later use. We had to use dummy tokens and cards starting about 30 minutes in to a 2 hour game - were we doing something wrong?

Istanbul with four. I could have maybe tied by taking my chances gambling for money rather than visiting the market, but it was still a close game. It may be solvable, but I am in no danger of hitting that point yet. Good shorter game.

Viticulture with two so I could finally try my copy out and I was short on time. The visitors were amusing but highly varied. I got lucky with a couple that let me discard all the lame-os for some effect. The grande worker is pretty great - you can never get completely shut out from accomplishing at least a part of your plan, but you only have the one. An hour to finish even with several rule lookups, but I worry it might drag at 4+ players. I think I'll get a lot of play out of it before I need to add in anything from the expansion.

JohnnySavs fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Feb 2, 2015

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

These Loving Eyes posted:

All this talk about Cthulhu Wars makes me sad of the fact that no game has really managed to combine theme, area control and asymmetry as succesfully as Chaos in the Old World. I am even in the small minority who thought the Horned Rat expansion was great. Even a new expansion with one or two new chaos gods that would replace the existing ones and alternative chaos and upgrade cards for the existing ones would make me a happy man.Too bad City of Remnants was a forgettable mishmash of ideas, because it was the only recent title which seemed it could pull off what CitOW did. :(

I take it you don't think Cthulhu Wars does? Because that's certainly among its stated goals.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

Ravendas posted:

Played Castles of Burgundy for the first time, two players with my wife.

D+, would rather not play again.

I'd like to add to this that I didn't enjoy Castles of Burgundy all that much the first time for a lot of the reasons you've listed, but on repeat plays I've started to enjoy it a lot more as the real point of the game comes across - trying to best optimise each of your turns and slowly push all of your goals until you reach them in the closing rounds (like filling large regions, completing building types, etc), while preventing your opponent from doing the same, if possible.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

JohnnySavs posted:

Viticulture with two so I could finally try my copy out and I was short on time. The visitors were amusing but highly varied. I got lucky with a couple that let me discard all the lame-os for some effect. The grande worker is pretty great - you can never get completely shut out from accomplishing at least a part of your plan, but you only have the one. An hour to finish even with several rule lookups, but I worry it might drag at 4+ players. I think I'll get a lot of play out of it before I need to add in anything from the expansion.

We played our first game with five players in 90 minutes including explanation, setup and breakdown. It doesn't drag at all. It may actually be slightly quicker than with less than five for new players, as you don't have to remember that only one or two of the worker spaces can be used.

If you already have the expansion, I would advise you to add the two new Visitor decks and the Mamas and Papas to the game immediately. They add a lot without adding real complexity.

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

Jedit posted:

We played our first game with five players in 90 minutes including explanation, setup and breakdown. It doesn't drag at all. It may actually be slightly quicker than with less than five for new players, as you don't have to remember that only one or two of the worker spaces can be used.

If you already have the expansion, I would advise you to add the two new Visitor decks and the Mamas and Papas to the game immediately. They add a lot without adding real complexity.

How realistic is this game? My mother is in the wine business, so I'm not sure if she would like the theme or just pick it apart. I mean, is it just random grapes and wine types or does it actually make sense?

Also, is it just me being in Sweden, or is pretty much everything I want to buy not in stock anywhere? Pandemic: On the brink, Agricola: all creatures big and small, dead of winter, d-day dice expansions, Vitoculture. I just managed to pick up Takenoko because I was lucky and they got send copies this friday.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Sistergodiva posted:

How realistic is this game? My mother is in the wine business, so I'm not sure if she would like the theme or just pick it apart. I mean, is it just random grapes and wine types or does it actually make sense?

It shows the necessary steps not just of making wine but of running a vineyard - negotiating for orders and hosting tours as well as producing wine. If your mother is an anal retentive who picks holes in everything she'll have lots to work with, but if she can appreciate it as an abstraction of the theme she'll like it.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Fluxx is terrible, worse than Munchkin

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

Jedit posted:

It shows the necessary steps not just of making wine but of running a vineyard - negotiating for orders and hosting tours as well as producing wine. If your mother is an anal retentive who picks holes in everything she'll have lots to work with, but if she can appreciate it as an abstraction of the theme she'll like it.

I don't think so, mostly just curious since I thought I saw stuff like making sparkling wine using red grapes and stuff like that in a review, but I could be wrong.

Would it be a good introduction to worker placement games?

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

The final spice...your tears <3
All this talk of wine-making euros and no mention of Vinhos, the heavy wine-making-in-Portugal game, in sight. For shame, goons. For shame.

Also Vinhos has the plus of not being Another Worker Placement Game, still being a meaty euro design, and for all its depth and complexity finishing its play in two or less hours.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Sistergodiva posted:

I don't think so, mostly just curious since I thought I saw stuff like making sparkling wine using red grapes and stuff like that in a review, but I could be wrong.

Would it be a good introduction to worker placement games?

Yeah, a friend of mine constantly bitches that you make sparkling wine with two red grapes and a white. I personally don't see the issue - they're the highly rewarding but hard to make item and it's two red and a white because that's the best balance for the contracts.

I don't know if it would be the best introduction to WP games because you have two placement phases instead of the usual one and several possible modifiers to what the actions do. A smart person would be able to cope though.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.
Champagne is a mix of two red and one white variety so the game recipe is fine.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Blush is also one white grape and one red grape, if that will set your mom off (I have no idea I hate wine but love this game).

These Loving Eyes
Jun 6, 2009

Memnaelar posted:

I take it you don't think Cthulhu Wars does? Because that's certainly among its stated goals.

I've glanced at the rules and watched some gameplay videos of CW, and it seems that the designer Sandy Petersen didn't really grasp what made CitOW great. CW basically rips off only the most basic mechanics of CitOW making it a meager step above Risk in complexity. Instead of four truly different player factions, they are just variations of a theme, because it all boils down to dice rolling. In CitOW, usually only the Khorne player has to rely heavily on his or her dice rolls, while the other gods require you to manipulate the different tokens on the board, to pay attention to fulfilling your dial advancement conditions, to manage your chaos cards to both deny other players and boost your troops or points, and to bluff and double-bluff how your troops will be finally placed when you run out of power. The most ingenious part of CitOW is the strange mix of co-operation between the other three (or four) gods to deny Khorne of his or her kills while trying to backstab each other at the same time.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
I was just given a $50 dollar gift certificate for Amazon as a very late Christmas present. Because I already got Dungeon Lords and Vinhos this month thanks to lucky finds on the BGG marketplace, I'm looking for thread recommendations on how to blow this on board games.

I am specifically looking for recommendations on heavier games that are good with two that aren't super competitive. (I know, I know. Just go with Rahdo. But he put Shadowrun: Crossfire at the top of his last best of list so he's completely unreliable.)

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Impermanent posted:

I am specifically looking for recommendations on heavier games that are good with two that aren't super competitive. (I know, I know. Just go with Rahdo. But he put Shadowrun: Crossfire at the top of his last best of list so he's completely unreliable.)

No, he isn't. Just filter game types you dislike.

Alternately, buy Archipelago.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
I like co-ops and deckbuilders but dislike trash :colbert: also thanks for the suggestion but I already own & love Archipelago, the game of oppressing my ancestors.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Impermanent posted:

I don't think it's good to put faith in any of the "popular" reviewers since they get their games for free and tend to ebay them immediately afterwards, regardless of how much they liked it. It's a very shilly practice.

Anyway, I'm not sure how to qualify "not super competitive" besides stuff like MTG, but I guess I'll just say Tash Kalar. I'm not sure it's that heavy, though, since the rules are pretty elegant. Twilight Struggle is the other obvious 2p heavy (?) game.

My group really digs Theseus: The Dark Orbit, which I'm glad for since I dig it too. The first half of the game is pretty weird since your dudes aren't really spread out or interacting, but you still want to land on spaces where you can put pending cards without other people stripping yours away. Or the mad dash to prevent someone from installing a card like Onslaught. The interactions are really nice, although I can see how it can very easily cause a ton of analysis paralysis, so watch out for that. I'm not even prone to it most of the time, but I have to see what my options are and how many people can enter this spot or otherwise screw me out of the movement I wanted to do and that just takes a lot of time looking at circles.

Like Tash Kalar, though, I suspect that the game is better the fewer the number of players there are. Even like Tash Kalar, they offer a 2v2 variant for 4 players that I suspect would be better than the free for all, but would be worse than the 3p or 2p.

On another note, what is the social protocol for quarterbacking in a non-cooperative game? Like if someone at the table keeps pointing out moves to other players that are beneficial both to him and the player in question, but that the player may not have seen by himself? Assume this is a game where all players are of equal-ish skill level, i.e., you're not coaching a new player with good moves they would be unlikely to see.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Impermanent posted:

I like co-ops and deckbuilders but dislike trash :colbert: also thanks for the suggestion but I already own & love Archipelago, the game of oppressing my ancestors.
Mage Knight is really close to what you want.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
I'm touching the poop and about to start an argument on the SU&SD comments section about why Tom Vasel is bad for the future of board games.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
I think if all players are equal playing skill then the dude pointing out moves that are beneficial to the other player and himself is just playing the politics of the game. I don't think of it as quarterbacking so much as just good aggressive play within the confines of a Euro.

Maybe I'm the rear end in a top hat, though, because I'm the guy who does this. But I've seen it blow up in my face more often than not as people decide not to take those moves to spite but. But now I also suggest moves even though I secretly don't want people to take them because I'm pretty sure they won't take them if I suggest them. So if your group is willing to play in that kind of space I think you're fine.

Also, good suggestion! I love Tash-Kalar but I already have it. By "not super competitive" I mean few "screw-you" moves like Dominant Species or Caylus's provost.

I'm really looking for something else that's kind of like Vinhos in terms of complexity. I've been eye-ing Kanban but I'm woefully ignorant of heavier games compared to middleweight stuff.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Broken Loose posted:

Mage Knight is really close to what you want.

Man I should just have listed all the games I own because I have a biweekly Mage Knight group and that game is A+ in my book. (Also I played in the 1st thread hosted by our most gracious game master Tekopo.)

Big McHuge posted:

I'm touching the poop and about to start an argument on the SU&SD comments section about why Tom Vasel is bad for the future of board games.

Yessss do it maybe I'll help.

Impermanent fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Feb 2, 2015

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Impermanent posted:

I was just given a $50 dollar gift certificate for Amazon as a very late Christmas present. Because I already got Dungeon Lords and Vinhos this month thanks to lucky finds on the BGG marketplace, I'm looking for thread recommendations on how to blow this on board games.

Kemet.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Good choice.

I also think I remember hearing that Dungeon Lords is wicked fun with two, since he already has that. And Dungeon Petz is really great too.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

Impermanent posted:

Yessss do it maybe I'll help.

This is actually really hard to do without using the words autistic, grognard, or basement-troll.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Big McHuge posted:

This is actually really hard to do without using the words autistic, grognard, or basement-troll.

It must be difficult to refrain from referring to his two mouth-breathing friends.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Impermanent posted:

Have you tried LotR LCG? It's about the most complex non-confrontational ~lifestyle~ type of game out there that I've found. It's a money sink, though

Edit: you probably already have race for the Galaxy, and it's not vinhos complexity at all, but it's my favorite for playing something not too rear end in a top hat-ish with my wife after work

fozzy fosbourne fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Feb 2, 2015

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Watching those posts is like watching your parents get into a huge yelling match and then the phone rings and it's one of your dad's work friends and your mom answers the phone and her voice changes to cheerful and she's containing it so well but this is worse now, right? You're less comfortable now than when your parents were yelling.

Big McHuge posted:

Impermanent fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Feb 2, 2015

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

If I were ever going to recommend a game on the basis of not being supercompetitive, Kemet would be the first game I would never think of.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

You know, the near instantaneous setup and tear down time of RftG is pretty underrated, I think. Sometimes that's not a priority, but there are times when I've woken up early before work to cleanup the last game and set up the board for something like Dungeon Petz or Galaxy Trucker, just to have a chance of playing it that night after work and dinner, and I look over at Race sitting there.. The stars on the box form a constellation that looks like the smug smiley

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Jedit posted:

If I were ever going to recommend a game on the basis of not being supercompetitive, Kemet would be the first game I would never think of.

Oh hey, that's a thing that was said in that post. My bad.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
Apparently doing something for free grants you the eternal gratitude of everyone and makes you free from criticism. Doubly so if you were the first person to do it.

Also I'm supposed to feel bad about criticizing Vasel because that is a petty thing to do.

What a bunch of horseshit.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Big McHuge posted:

Apparently doing something for free grants you the eternal gratitude of everyone and makes you free from criticism. Doubly so if you were the first person to do it.

Also I'm supposed to feel bad about criticizing Vasel because that is a petty thing to do.

Link to this?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Kemet is a great game but neither "not super competitive" nor "good with two" are phrases that accurately describe.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

goodness posted:

Link to this?

http://www.shutupandsitdown.com/blog/post/games-news-020215/

Comments section.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Big McHuge posted:

Offer to kick them in the nuts for free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

http://www.shutupandsitdown.com/blog/post/games-news-020215/#disqus_thread

More power to you, Vasel coup leading goons. I don't think he should stop making videos or anything, but I do think it would be nice if it was more commonly established that the three of them getting goony about some games is not a great helpdesk for the hobby. I'm also not really sure what niche they really fill because I wouldn't want them as a newbie introduction for someone, but I also don't think people who are already fluent in the hobby benefit much from these quick rules overviews and brief gut reactions to games. Sitdown&Shutup or Starlit Citadel are much better for the former and I think Drive Thru Review or Rahdo Runs through is much better for the latter, with Watch it Played occupying some separate tutorial space.