Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Anosmoman posted:

Jesus christ the naturalistic fallacy is becoming more and more like a religion or cult.

I think you meant the natural truth :smuggo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

ActusRhesus posted:

My mother and I were just having this conversation the other day. The generation that thinks it's cool to not vaccinate is the generation that never had to see how awful these diseases can be.

I am originally from Brazil. For a number of reasons probably too off-topic to discuss here, a lot of alternative medicine BS is very popular in Brazil (homeopathy, aromatherapy, etc.). Despite that amount of BS being popular, there is no anti-vaccination movement there to speak of. BCG, polio and MMR vaccines have coverage rates of at least 98%, and sometimes coverage exceeds 100% (I took the polio vaccine multiple times, for example). That is because everyone remembers the time pre-vaccines. Vaccination campaigns only took off in the 80s in Brazil, so everyone (including me) knows someone who had polio as a child. One of my college professors had a hosed up leg and walked with great difficulty because of it. So in Brazil people will throw away money on bach flower remedies and other hokum, but not one messes with vaccination.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Why should you need to see the diseases to believe they should be prevented? I've not personally seen smallpox or Ebola, but I'm really goddamn sure I don't want them.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

PT6A posted:

Why should you need to see the diseases to believe they should be prevented? I've not personally seen smallpox or Ebola, but I'm really goddamn sure I don't want them.

Because you've been told that these diseases aren't that bad, and my friend's uncle's cousin's son is unvaccinated and they say that he's a million times healther than the other children so why should we let BIG PHARMA vaccinate them against rubella???

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

substitute posted:

I'm a negative person so I image the politicization of this issue just turning into a clusterfuck of: left-wing vs. right-wing, conservative vs. liberal, REAL 'MERICANS vs. COMMIE TERRORISTS. And then we're ALL worse off.

Yeah seriously, we're talking about people who will hate-eat fried food to spite the gays, or feed their kids poo poo to get back at Michelle Obama, or inhale diesel fumes to stick it to the EPA

The last thing we loving need is for vaccines to become a Real America vs Obama the Kenyan Terrorist Injecting Your Kids With Mercury thing.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

PT6A posted:

It is not about "should." But no one is going to go "why should I inject poison in my kids to prevent a natural disease?" when they've seen what the natural disease can do. Not to mention that in the Brazil situation they can clearly see the effects of vaccination campaigns for themselves (tons of people got polio, we started vaccination, now no one has it). So you don't need to send them that graph that got posted here so many times about the introduction of the vaccine and the declining prevalence of the disease. They've seen the success for themselves, during their lifetime.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

joepinetree posted:

It is not about "should." But no one is going to go "why should I inject poison in my kids to prevent a natural disease?" when they've seen what the natural disease can do. Not to mention that in the Brazil situation they can clearly see the effects of vaccination campaigns for themselves (tons of people got polio, we started vaccination, now no one has it). So you don't need to send them that graph that got posted here so many times about the introduction of the vaccine and the declining prevalence of the disease. They've seen the success for themselves, during their lifetime.

So what you're saying is you've got about 15 years before the kids who are now growing up with those diseases as just stories from funny old people have kids of their own and opt to boost their immune systems with jasmine tea and crystals instead of injecting scary chemicals into them.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

VitalSigns posted:

So what you're saying is you've got about 15 years before the kids who are now growing up with those diseases as just stories from funny old people have kids of their own and opt to boost their immune systems with jasmine tea and crystals instead of injecting scary chemicals into them.

Maybe, though the Brazilian government doesn't gently caress around with regards to requiring vaccines for everything. You are not going to get an exemption easily there.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

You'd better repeal those laws or else people will feel persecuted and they could do all kinds of crazy stuff like repeal those laws.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
Military drones with vaccine-loaded needle guns. Now.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

VitalSigns posted:

Yeah seriously, we're talking about people who will hate-eat fried food to spite the gays, or feed their kids poo poo to get back at Michelle Obama, or inhale diesel fumes to stick it to the EPA

Judging from the picture they seem like a self-solving problem :v:

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

blowfish posted:

Unfortunately a lot of the groups who "roll coal" don't overlap that well with antivaxxers

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

QuarkJets posted:

Unfortunately a lot of the groups who "roll coal" don't overlap that well with antivaxxers

Extreme of one side meet the extreme of the other.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

blowfish posted:

Unfortunately anti-vaxxers are killing their kids and not themselves :(

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

QuarkJets posted:

CommieGIR posted:

Extreme of one side meet the extreme of the other.

Good news, Anti-Vaccination views are actually higher among conservative than liberals!

Trabisnikof fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Feb 2, 2015

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Trabisnikof posted:

Good news, Anti-Vaccination views are actually higher among conservative than liberals!

Yeah, its kind of split still: a lot of hardcore leftists support the Anti-GMO/Anti-Vaccine crowd. On the right, its just more people who are conspiracy theorists/preppers that buy goofy logic behind why vaccines are a government plot.

A country boy can survive.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah, its kind of split still: a lot of hardcore leftists support the Anti-GMO/Anti-Vaccine crowd. On the right, its just more people who are conspiracy theorists/preppers that buy goofy logic behind why vaccines are a government plot.

A country boy can survive.

That might be true, but its clear that anti-vax isn't a left wing or hippie movement, its far broader than that. Just because you can find idiots of all political stripes doesn't mean much.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Trabisnikof posted:

That might be true, but its clear that anti-vax isn't a left wing or hippie movement, its far broader than that. Just because you can find idiots of all political stripes doesn't mean much.

Unfortunately, its the left wing hippie movement that is the most vocal when it comes to the anti-vaccine and anti-gmo feelings.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

CommieGIR posted:

Unfortunately, its the left wing hippie movement that is the most vocal when it comes to the anti-vaccine and anti-gmo feelings.

Also anti-fluoride. The chemo-phobia runs real deep in that crowd.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

CommieGIR posted:

I don't really see that connection in the public eye, to be honest. It's not hippies, it's helicopter mom freaks like Jenny McCarthy. They have no ideology except HIDDEN DANGER!!!

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008
It's also increasingly prevalent among libertarians, where it already had a pretty fertile ground.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

MothraAttack posted:

It's also increasingly prevalent among libertarians, where it already had a pretty fertile ground.

Libertarians are fairly susceptible to snake oil as a general rule. It's why conservative sites/talk radio hawk gold and survival rations and seed banks and whatever else.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

VitalSigns posted:

The last thing we loving need is for vaccines to become a Real America vs Obama the Kenyan Terrorist Injecting Your Kids With Mercury thing.

Too late conservatives drew the battle lines pretty instantaneously, and Obama's 2008 statements are spreading because Christie were only a year later.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

SedanChair posted:

I don't really see that connection in the public eye, to be honest. It's not hippies, it's helicopter mom freaks like Jenny McCarthy. They have no ideology except HIDDEN DANGER!!!

The helicopter mom movement is combining a lot with the 'crunch mom' movement, brings more of these vocal 'New-Age' parents out of the woodwork.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Trabisnikof posted:

I see a lot of lefties ignoring the autism/Wakefield issue altogether and instead either scream about "injecting kids with poisons/toxins" or "Big Pharma is just making MONEY". It doesn't surprise me, as I see some anti-GMO folks are starting to drop the "safety" issue and instead focus on MONSATAN. Nothing more than moving goal posts.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Solkanar512 posted:

I see a lot of lefties ignoring the autism/Wakefield issue altogether and instead either scream about "injecting kids with poisons/toxins" or "Big Pharma is just making MONEY". It doesn't surprise me, as I see some anti-GMO folks are starting to drop the "safety" issue and instead focus on MONSATAN. Nothing more than moving goal posts.

Did you just ignore that data and keep plowing right along with your own personal narrative? There's no connection.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

ToxicSlurpee posted:

It's legal for me, an adult over 21, to get ragingly drunk if I really want to. I can get myself blackout drunk at home however often I want to. However, I cannot legally get ragingly blackout drunk and then drive my car somewhere because that puts others at danger. Vaccines are similar, in a way; do we make it illegal to remain unvaccinated?

Obviously the solution is to license public interaction, to get a public interaction license, you have to be vaccinated. So you can be unvaccinated all you like so long as you never come into contact with another human being.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

I really hope vaccination doesn't become a talking point in the election, I have zero-faith that the media will handle that correctly.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Trabisnikof posted:

Please give us the source.

VitalSigns posted:

You'd better repeal those laws or else people will feel persecuted and they could do all kinds of crazy stuff like repeal those laws.

Just so we're clear, if the law already exists and is effective and accepted, that's fine. It's when the law doesn't exist, and produces a negative response politicians and others can capitalize on, that it becomes a problem.

Laphroaig
Feb 6, 2004

Drinking Smoke
Dinosaur Gum
Anti Vaccine Views Have Little Correlation to Politics
http://prospect.org/article/vaccine-fear-mongers-are-wrong-theyre-not-ideological

http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=2386034
http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/pdf/2011/PPP_Release_National_ConspiracyTheories_040213.pdf
http://www.people-press.org/2009/10/15/growing-interest-in-swine-flu-many-see-press-overstating-its-danger/

edit:

I believe the public health concern of vaccination should trump the religious exemption. I have the following legal propositions:

Harriet Hall, MD posted:

The medical ethics principle of autonomy justifies letting competent adults reject lifesaving medical care for themselves because of their religious beliefs, but it does not extend to rejecting medical care for children.

Society has a duty to override parents’ wishes when necessary to protect children from harm.

It is not uncommon for the courts to order life-saving blood transfusions for the children of Jehovah’s Witnesses or cancer treatment against parents’ wishes.

Thirty states still have religious shield laws, and every state but Mississippi and West Virginia allows religious and/or philosophical exemptions for school vaccination requirements. Those laws should be repealed.

The Affordable Care Act (“Obamacare”) requires insurance companies to cover “nonmedical” health care such as prayers by Christian Science practitioners. That provision should be removed.

Laphroaig fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Feb 2, 2015

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

Trabisnikof posted:

Your post presumes the autism myth is the only reason people are anti vax

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

SedanChair posted:

Did you just ignore that data and keep plowing right along with your own personal narrative? There's no connection.

No, I didn't. Given where you live, I'm rather surprised you haven't run into the same poo poo.

EDIT: I've said it before and I'll say it again - it doesn't matter if this issue exists within multiple political ideologies across the nation as a whole. If anti-vaxxers carefully lived spread across the whole country they wouldn't be a problem! But they don't, they live clustered together. Is it so crazy to look at these specific communities and suggest that they might have specific political leanings?

Solkanar512 fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Feb 2, 2015

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Laphroaig posted:

I believe the public health concern of vaccination should trump the religious exemption. I have the following legal propositions:

The child's interests-parent's beliefs conflict is a really messy one that's as old as the Republic. It's very hard to tell consistently how courts will rule, especially at the Constitutional level.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Discendo Vox posted:

The child's interests-parent's beliefs conflict is a really messy one that's as old as the Republic. It's very hard to tell consistently how courts will rule, especially at the Constitutional level.

And considering how they have ruled in the past for groups like Christian Scientists, its hit or miss. They tend to respect the 'rights of the parents' until the child is already dead.

eNeMeE
Nov 26, 2012

Solkanar512 posted:

No, I didn't. Given where you live, I'm rather surprised you haven't run into the same poo poo.

EDIT: I've said it before and I'll say it again - it doesn't matter if this issue exists within multiple political ideologies across the nation as a whole. If anti-vaxxers carefully lived spread across the whole country they wouldn't be a problem! But they don't, they live clustered together. Is it so crazy to look at these specific communities and suggest that they might have specific political leanings?
I do believe people have looked at that - and they answered with a response of "No, no they don't".

I posted this link the last time the "dirty hippies thing came up, but here's some more quotes.

quote:

Similarly, the issue of vaccine safety could be a matter of contention among identifiable subgroups within the general public. Commentators routinely advance this claim, too, variously attributing
anti-vaccination sentiment to one or another recognizable cultural style, from “the conservative don’ttread-on-me crowd that distrusts all government recommendations” (“Herd at Risk” 2012) to “egalitarians, [who] oppose . . . big corporations and their products” (Ropeik 2011). Because the entanglement of
-8-
risks and like facts in group conflict can disrupt processes that citizens rely on to recognize forms of decision-relevant science essential to their welfare (Kahan 2013), such claims merit being taken seriously.
The way to take them seriously, however, is to not to simply assume they are true but to empirically investigate whether they are. Existing commentary is literary and impressionistic, even polemical in
nature. It is not grounded in actual measurement of sources of variance in public risk perceptions.

quote:

There was a modest minority of respondents who held a negative orientation toward vaccines.
These respondents, however, could not be characterized as belonging to any recognizable subgroup identified by demographic characteristics, religiosity, science comprehension, or political or cultural outlooks.
Indeed, groups bitterly divided over other science issues, including climate change and human evolution,
all saw vaccine risks as low and vaccine benefits as high. Even within those groups, in other words, individuals hostile to childhood vaccinations are outliers.

quote:

Existing universal vaccination policies appear to enjoy widespread support, but proposals to restrict existing grounds for exemption divide the public along partisan lines. Despite support for universal vaccination policies and widespread disapproval of parents who refuse to permit vaccination of their children based on concerns about vaccine risks, proposals to restrict or eliminate moral or
religious grounds for opting out of vaccination requirements provoke dissensus along largely partisan
lines consistent with citizens’ general orientation toward government regulation.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Solkanar512 posted:

I have, but I didn't draw any conclusions about political alignment because I try not to proudly wear confirmation bias like a new hat.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

SedanChair posted:

I have, but I didn't draw any conclusions about political alignment because I try not to proudly wear confirmation bias like a new hat.

Bahahahahahahaha

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
Has anyone read about this piece of poo poo?
http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/jack-wolfson-vaccines-doctor-measles

(bolding mine)

quote:

“I’m not going to sacrifice the well-being of my child. My child is pure,” Dr. Jack Wolfson said in the interview. “It’s not my responsibility to be protecting their child.”

Also some pristine :smug:

quote:

Wolfson was responding to a public appeal for all parents to vaccinate their children from Arizona pediatrician Dr. Tim Sacks, whose leukemia-stricken daughter was exposed to measles after an unvaccinated American family introduced the disease into the greater population during a trip to Disneyland.

Wolfson was interviewed last week by television station KPNX as a source on the debate over vaccinations, calling himself "the paleo-cardiologist," according to the report.

The doctor said that children should not avoid getting infections such as measels and mumps. "These are the rights of our children to get it," he told KPNX.

Back on CNN, Wolfson dismissed his fellow doctor's appeal to anti-vaxxers.

"As far as I’m concerned, it’s very likely that her leukemia is from vaccinations in the first place," Wolfson said.

Remember, it is your right as an American Child to contract measels and mumps.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp
Ugh.

Got into it on Facebook with somebody who made all sorts of concern troll arguments about vaccinations about how people should be "informed" and then argued any attempt to explain how she was misinformed. Apparently got a degree from the University of Google, including literally posting the Larry Wiltmore vid and swaying "yes what that lady said".

I feel like the "I'm not anti-vax I just have concerns" is the same type of retreating position that climate deniers use now, instead of saying "well climate change is false", they're like "no it's real but totally natural and nothing to be concerned with".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

SedanChair posted:

It's also worth noting that Jenny McCarthy believes that her child is literally a wizard. No. Seriously. She refers to herself as an "indigo mom" and believes her child has magical powers.

• Locked thread