Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The best one is 'yeah this bike revs to 15 grand but you can't actually rev it that high cause you'll wear out the engine straight away! *shifts at 8k, gets destroyed by a commodore*'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Z3n posted:

I have seen riders pin it and then promptly shift up gears every 4k rpm, never making it over 7k, fast and furious style. Shifting is how you get the fast, brosepf.

I remember mentioning that to you at Thunderhill when I was somehow passing riders on bigger bikes down the straights. Some people are just afraid to wind the thing out I guess.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
I used to work with a guy (he was called Wayne, which with details of his car will paint a pretty complete picture) who had a Peugeot 206 that he'd spent maybe £5k on (most of which was on stereo equipment) that he was certain would totally destroy my Laverda in a straight line because he'd timed himself doing a quarter mile in 11 seconds, and I'd done a 13.5 at a run what you brung, and he'd be happy to go along and get his ticket to prove it.

Unfortunately though he couldn't take it there because they wouldn't let his AMAZING TUNED EXHAUST SYSTEM (read - massive fartcannon and decat) on a track, despite my Laverda being louder than war. Then he didn't want to trash his new amazing new short-ratio gearbox (actually a short-throw conversion but I didn't have the heart to tell him that) on the track. Then he totally would but he'd promised his girlfriend (who was exactly as real as his quarter-mile times) that he wouldn't race any more after he almost flipped his car in a secret underground street race.

Basically Vin Diesel is history's greatest monster.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Chichevache posted:

Doesn't explain how they can "totally burn a gixxer like nothin', bra".

I'm pretty sure it could overtake a GSXR*

*with a flat tire and stuck in 6th

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Pretty sure any car can overtake a gixxer 600 if you're under 5k.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
I (in a ninja 600) raced a friend in a Mazda protoge. Even shifting at 4k I walked away from him. He said he was redlining it but it was just the saddest thing ever. We couldn't have even gotten tickets.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
I find the best indicator of when I should shift up on my bike is when blood can reach my brain again from where it's pooled in my feet. That means I've finally hit the fuel cut on the rev limiter.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

MrKatharsis posted:

I (in a ninja 600) raced a friend in a Mazda protoge. Even shifting at 4k I walked away from him. He said he was redlining it but it was just the saddest thing ever. We couldn't have even gotten tickets.

I "raced" a fartcannon civic by matching his shift points. It wasn't even close. I'm sitting on a bike that has OVER HALF YOUR DISPLACEMENT, bud. At the next light, I said "I'll leave it in second the whole time for this next one." He laughed, and I wound it out. 0-85mph in one gear. I swear if you didn't mind the way the thing chugs below 20mph in 2nd or the sound of near-redline at highway speeds, you'd only EVER need 2nd gear on a B1200.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

I "raced" a fartcannon civic by matching his shift points. It wasn't even close. I'm sitting on a bike that has OVER HALF YOUR DISPLACEMENT, bud. At the next light, I said "I'll leave it in second the whole time for this next one." He laughed, and I wound it out. 0-85mph in one gear. I swear if you didn't mind the way the thing chugs below 20mph in 2nd or the sound of near-redline at highway speeds, you'd only EVER need 2nd gear on a B1200.

This but on a ZX10 and to 160km/h. It was fun being able to change down all the way into first at motorway speeds and do a little wheelie :)

It was disappointing that no one ever tried to race me on that bike.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Looked at a "perfect condition, never been down" '05 R6 today. How did it get rash on the BACK of the headlight housing?? That's some magic poo poo right there.
Sucks too. $3800 for a good condition R6 that's not blue would have been right up my alley.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

He wheelied just a little too far.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Slavvy posted:

He wheelied just a little too far.

Meteor strike.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Slavvy posted:

This but on a ZX10 and to 160km/h. It was fun being able to change down all the way into first at motorway speeds and do a little wheelie :)

It was disappointing that no one ever tried to race me on that bike.

I've had a guy in an Isuzu NPR of all things try and race me on my FZ1. I have no idea what the hell he was thinking. Every stoplight he'd gun the motor for all it's worth and I'd leisurely take off short shifting at ~5000 RPM like I usually do when just puttering around in traffic and I'd still be up to the next stoplight half a minute before him. :psyduck:

And yeah, on a literbike, you don't even need second gear to hit freeway speeds - I can break any speed limit in the country without leaving first gear.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

HotCanadianChick posted:

I've had a guy in an Isuzu NPR of all things try and race me on my FZ1. I have no idea what the hell he was thinking. Every stoplight he'd gun the motor for all it's worth and I'd leisurely take off short shifting at ~5000 RPM like I usually do when just puttering around in traffic and I'd still be up to the next stoplight half a minute before him. :psyduck:

And yeah, on a literbike, you don't even need second gear to hit freeway speeds - I can break any speed limit in the country without leaving first gear.

Have you driven an NPR? That's how you're supposed to drive them. They are super frustratingly slow and sound like they'll fly apart at 2000 rpm.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

HotCanadianChick posted:

Isn't that just how you have to treat an NPR to get it to move under its own power?

Edit: Haha, high five

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
What IS it about cars wanting to race motorcycles? When I drive, I am usually the first off the line at a stoplight, and i'm rarely stomping on it: no really a jackrabbit start, but i'm not just kinda moseying on down past the intersection either.

When I'm on a motorcycle, everyone wants to race me off the line. EVERYONE. Including the 65 year old woman in a minivan the other day.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
If you aren't treating every stoplight like the tree at the drag strip you aren't motorcycling properly.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
I sometimes have to when I'm splitting, because I'll pull up beside someone who is clearly pissed that a MOTORCYCLE might TAKE THEIR PLACE.

Inevitably they creep forward and jerkily stop three or four times while the light is red, to demonstrate how READY TO GO they are, then miss the green light changing by two or three seconds, which is enough time for me to be across the intersection.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein

Sagebrush posted:

I sometimes have to when I'm splitting, because I'll pull up beside someone who is clearly pissed that a MOTORCYCLE might TAKE THEIR PLACE.

Inevitably they creep forward and jerkily stop three or four times while the light is red, to demonstrate how READY TO GO they are, then miss the green light changing by two or three seconds, which is enough time for me to be across the intersection.

That is my favorite thing to watch. Usually I'm behind that rear end in a top hat. They slowly driiiiiiiiiiift forward while the light is red, usually nearly into the intersection, but then when it changes, they're looking at their phone or jacking it or something, and then 5 seconds later they notice the light has changed and they finally go.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

nitrogen posted:

What IS it about cars wanting to race motorcycles? When I drive, I am usually the first off the line at a stoplight, and i'm rarely stomping on it: no really a jackrabbit start, but i'm not just kinda moseying on down past the intersection either.

When I'm on a motorcycle, everyone wants to race me off the line. EVERYONE. Including the 65 year old woman in a minivan the other day.

I live a few miles from where Barrett Jackson is held. It's humbling to get murdered by an Ultima GTR while riding a 135whp bike. Or a stock looking (minus wide rear wheels) 5th gen Mustang that turns out to have a massive turbo.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Stenhouse? Nah. It's Ricky Roundhouse now.

Sagebrush posted:

That is where I run into most of the guys that "race" me off the line at a light. I ride a pig of a bike too, 2006 Suzuki Katana 750, but even that thing is just a quarter turn of throttle away from roasting any normal car to the other side of the intersection. Nothing like taking off normally and then seeing the front end of the car next to me raise up 4 inches because the guy driving is hammering the throttle to the floor.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

A guy on something utterly ancient badged XR550 (I think, was an air cooled trail bike) came up next to me at the lights. It was interesting watching him accelerate around the same rate as the hyoshit but, somehow, managing to do four little wheelies before he got to the other side of the intersection. He clutched it up like half a foot, then came back down, then deliberately jammed the throttle open-closed-open-closed and induced a sort of wheelie oscillation.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

BlackMK4 posted:

I live a few miles from where Barrett Jackson is held. It's humbling to get murdered by an Ultima GTR while riding a 135whp bike. Or a stock looking (minus wide rear wheels) 5th gen Mustang that turns out to have a massive turbo.

Scottsdale? I lived at scottsdale and shea when I lived in Phoenix, and holy crap when I was there in the 90's, I dont think I ever saw more "supercars" just out driving than when I lived there. Miami might have been worse, but I've only been there for a few weekends.

As far as stupid motorcycle poo poo, I was told, by a coworker, with a straight face that "if you own a motorcycle and your medical insurance company finds out they will DROP YOUR COVERAGE or just deny anything if it could be a result of you riding a motorcycle.

"It happened to my Dad's friend's uncle!"

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

nitrogen posted:

As far as stupid motorcycle poo poo, I was told, by a coworker, with a straight face that "if you own a motorcycle and your medical insurance company finds out they will DROP YOUR COVERAGE or just deny anything if it could be a result of you riding a motorcycle.

"It happened to my Dad's friend's uncle!"

I told my insurance agent up front "I ride a motorcycle, so I want the maximum coverage for the sorts of things that might be needed in case of a motorcycle accident" and she was very agreeable and nonjudgmental.

Minkee
Dec 20, 2004

Fat Chicks Love Me

nitrogen posted:

I don't think they're trying to race you as much as they are nervous around motorcycles. They think passing you, or pulling ahead as fast as possible is safer than staying behind you.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

nitrogen posted:

Scottsdale? I lived at scottsdale and shea when I lived in Phoenix, and holy crap when I was there in the 90's, I dont think I ever saw more "supercars" just out driving than when I lived there. Miami might have been worse, but I've only been there for a few weekends.
Yeah, east of FLW on Shea. Lotsa pasta and high end schnitzel around here.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

PCOS Bill posted:

Isn't that just how you have to treat an NPR to get it to move under its own power?

Edit: Haha, high five

clutchpuck posted:

Have you driven an NPR? That's how you're supposed to drive them. They are super frustratingly slow and sound like they'll fly apart at 2000 rpm.

No, pretty sure he was trying to race, as on longer stretches where we didn't hit red lights, he'd eventually catch up to me (I was puttering along at 40 doing the limit), sit there for a few seconds, then pull ahead a bit, drop back even with me, and repeat. Pretty sure he was trying to egg me on to race him. It was really :psyduck:

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

Had an old guy complement me for wearing full leathers yesterday, with a comment about being safe because many years ago he lost his 28-year-old Harley-riding brother outside Miami late one night "to a Haitian immigrant who wasn't even supposed to be here." It wasn't due to his brother's drinking though since he'd been a drinker for a long time; it was because the car the Haitian guy was driving didn't have any tail lights.

Also, the roads I was riding on "weren't really made with motorcycles in mind". I didn't realize we need special consideration when building a road.

:rolleyes:

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
Yeah, I have to bite my tongue when I'm told all the horrible stories about someone's friend/relative/whatever who was hideously murdered or mutilated on a bike. It's always because "bikes are so hard to see" or "the other guy wasn't paying attention" or something. It's never because the rider was driving like an idiot, or because they had a bike that was really not in good enough shape to be ridden like it was, or because the rider was drunk.

I know accidents can happen because someone didn't see a bike, but most of the horror stories I've heard have just been cases where it was pretty obvious the rider shouldn't have been riding.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Reminds me of the local guy who killed himself wheelie-ing a brand new Daytona at ~70mph into the car park of the local special-ed school (all school zones are 25mph here). 4 weeks after getting his license back for reckless riding.

The general consensus of the local paper was pretty much "Motorcycles are dangerous! What a tragedy!" and they set up a charitable trust to help families who are struck with the sudden loss of loved ones to tragic accidents.

EDIT: they have a charity ride-out every year and it always degenerates into extreme speeding and wheelies, of course.

ReelBigLizard fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Feb 2, 2015

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

NeuralSpark posted:

Also, the roads I was riding on "weren't really made with motorcycles in mind". I didn't realize we need special consideration when building a road.

:rolleyes:

We do, surprisingly. Obvious things like proper texturing of painted road markings to reduce the slipperiness of them when wet, ensuring that mid-lane access covers aren't too sunken or too proud, to semi-obvious things like the design of road furniture (lamp posts, signs, etc) and kerbs to minimise risk of injury, through to really non-obvious things like camber profile, drainage, and leeching of the surface are all (supposed to be) taken into consideration when designing and building roads.

The road furniture stuff is a major thing, by the way - the BMF (in between masturbating to the Roadcraft Manual and swapping moustache care tips) have been campaigning on that for years, with some success, to get lamp posts and signs either moved back from the kerb line or designed with more flex in them and changing crash barrier designs to protect motorcyclists. Like the old adage goes it's the stop, not the speed, that kills you, and things like this are a big factor in a lot of crashes.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Met someone who I'm pretty sure will end up a red stain on the pavement sooner rather than later the other day. He was asking my coworker and I about "how to corner" and that he needs to work on cornering his Gixxer Six. "If I was going down this road at 100, how would I corner? Like, what would I do?" I said it was beyond stupid to ride down a public road that fast. My co-worker chimed "You may as well just not turn! Everything will work itself out!"
He later lamented that his Gixxxxer was too slow and he really wants a BMW S1000RR...

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

We do, surprisingly. Obvious things like proper texturing of painted road markings to reduce the slipperiness of them when wet, ensuring that mid-lane access covers aren't too sunken or too proud, to semi-obvious things like the design of road furniture (lamp posts, signs, etc) and kerbs to minimise risk of injury, through to really non-obvious things like camber profile, drainage, and leeching of the surface are all (supposed to be) taken into consideration when designing and building roads.

The road furniture stuff is a major thing, by the way - the BMF (in between masturbating to the Roadcraft Manual and swapping moustache care tips) have been campaigning on that for years, with some success, to get lamp posts and signs either moved back from the kerb line or designed with more flex in them and changing crash barrier designs to protect motorcyclists. Like the old adage goes it's the stop, not the speed, that kills you, and things like this are a big factor in a lot of crashes.

We have a similar lobbying organisation here. Thus far we've gotten a bunch of billboards telling drivers to look out for bikes, and a bunch of billboards telling riders not to wear all black :rolleyes:

Pope Mobile posted:

Met someone who I'm pretty sure will end up a red stain on the pavement sooner rather than later the other day. He was asking my coworker and I about "how to corner" and that he needs to work on cornering his Gixxer Six. "If I was going down this road at 100, how would I corner? Like, what would I do?" I said it was beyond stupid to ride down a public road that fast. My co-worker chimed "You may as well just not turn! Everything will work itself out!"
He later lamented that his Gixxxxer was too slow and he really wants a BMW S1000RR...

Your coworker has the right idea. Don't turn, let nature take it's course.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
It was hard not to laugh, because she's usually not that quick-witted.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Pope Mobile posted:

Met someone who I'm pretty sure will end up a red stain on the pavement sooner rather than later the other day.

Wonder if he was friends with this guy:

http://huntsville.craigslist.org/mcy/4870601825.html

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

13 grand, LOL

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
That's probably what he still owes on it. These guys are always funy to see.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

I'm sure there's no greater feeling than having 13k of unsecured debt on a pile of broken plastic and metal.
There would be a hell of a lot less crashed sport bikes around if financing worked the same way as cars. A 16
-21 year old with no motorcycle experience being forced to pay for full coverage on his Gixxer 1k in order to get the loan might have him reconsidering an SV.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Bugdrvr posted:

I'm sure there's no greater feeling than having 13k of unsecured debt on a pile of broken plastic and metal.
There would be a hell of a lot less crashed sport bikes around if financing worked the same way as cars. A 16
-21 year old with no motorcycle experience being forced to pay for full coverage on his Gixxer 1k in order to get the loan might have him reconsidering an SV.

I'm okay with this, only because this means bike manufacturers are practically guaranteed to continue having business in the future from idiots binning their machines.

Imagine a world where Kawasaki or Yamaha didn't have a market for new bikes created for them each year. Everyone in the USA would be riding cruisers from a lack of sales. If you love sport bikes, go hug your local squid today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

HotCanadianChick posted:

I used to have a coworker who swore his 1994 Buick Regal was really fast. Not even the GS trim with the 3.8 L , it was a Regal Custom with the earth shattering 160 HP 3.1 L engine. He swore it would totally smoke most cars.

I'm pretty sure it's endemic to the kind of person that would willingly buy a mid 90's GM product in the first place.

Hmm, for a sec I thought this was the POS that Sean Penn drives, but that's a '87 Buick Grand National. 'Zat better or worse? Supposed to be some collectible redneck Maserati or something.

(Errrr, sorry, didn't realize how un-current this was)

Marv Hushman fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Feb 3, 2015

• Locked thread