Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

leica posted:

No chassis stiffening, remember? It's pointless :colbert:

Yeah. Had those on my NA and it was pointless. I was one of the folks above that you're trying to mock. :v:

Edit: I bought my first miata with lovely tires and it had the shimmy. I got new tires RF balanced and it went away. The frame rail braces didn't really do that much for NVH or otherwise. At least not noticeably but at least they were a gift. I wouldn't do it again if it were my money.

Hog Obituary posted:

I've been thinking about the exact same poo poo for years. I think there are a couple of answers:
944 (ugh maint, turbo lag)
FRS/brz (but price, gutless)
E30 (overpriced, old maint)
Rx-8?
Civic/integra (fwd)
Fox body :v:

All these cars are heavier than a miata (except maybe the civic). Aside from the 86 their ability to fit tall drivers is questionable, but probably better than a Miata. I think the 86 is known to be great for drivers of all sizes, I just might be disappointed in the power level after spending $20-25k.

At the end of the day I'm still surfing craigslist for another NA though. Rollbar and lovely seat be damned.

Ever since that AISS that I had you I thought we were pretty similar. :) I thought about all the same choices and I keep coming back to a Miata. Guess I'll probably end up dropping a few extra g's (rollbar, seats, harnesses, etc) and still end up with a slow car.

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Feb 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
You need to have at least 2-3 hyperbolic statements for lecia to get it. He only seems to speak in hyperbole these days.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

It's called busting balls you crybabies ;)

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right

Larrymer posted:

Ever since that AISS that I had you I thought we were pretty similar. :) I thought about all the same choices and I keep coming back to a Miata. Guess I'll probably end up dropping a few extra g's (rollbar, seats, harnesses, etc) and still end up with a slow car.
Yeah, I remember. :hfive:

This car has been for sale near me forever:
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/4867418425.html

quote:

Cons/Things to Fix
1. Mechanical Timing (the timing seems to be a tooth or two off so this will need to be reset)
I actually expected it would sell. I guess it's the wrong combination of good and lovely.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

IOwnCalculus posted:

Sure, if you're shorter than 5'8". I made a NB work as my daily driver for five years; I can't drive a S2000 for five feet.

Wait, is the S2000 smaller than a Miata, at least interior-wise? I've only driven Miatas, and for whatever reason I've always thought the Hondas were a little bigger.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Massively so, yes. At 6'4" I literally cannot drive one (knee where first/third gear should be, can't work pedals) and I have ridden all of about 1/2 mile, extremely uncomfortably, as the passenger in one. No way in hell the top was coming back up either. With the NB I could get the top up and bend my head a bit and see through the windshield, or top down and stare straight at the visor :v:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Hog Obituary posted:

Yeah, I remember. :hfive:

This car has been for sale near me forever:
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/4867418425.html

I actually expected it would sell. I guess it's the wrong combination of good and lovely.

It seems like a decent deal but there's a lot of little things I don't like, like no heat/AC. Seems like a little bit of work, especially without the hard top included.

Here's the non-track modded one I'm looking at.
http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...390840003&Log=0

Best looking NB (IMO), VVT, sport brakes, sport suspension, 6 speed (in case I ever turbo it), 3.9 R&P, hard top. I'd almost feel bad throwing a roll bar and seats into it since it's a really nice car, but track day bro. :v:

I'm thinking non-hardtop rollbar for added bar height, Ultrashield Rally seat mounted to the floor that's hopefully comfortable :ohdear:, and just deal with seatbelts that don't retract. I just wish I could swap the stock seat back in afterwards and not have to cut off the rear seat humps but I don't think I'll be low enough otherwise.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Atomizer posted:

Wait, is the S2000 smaller than a Miata, at least interior-wise? I've only driven Miatas, and for whatever reason I've always thought the Hondas were a little bigger.

No not that ive never noticed. I am 6'1 and i have plenty of room. I dont have the seat slid all the way back and my knees arent close to hitting the wheel. i have driven NBs and sat in NAs and it from what i remember its not smaller

streetlamp
May 7, 2007

Danny likes his party hat
He does not like his banana hat
People dimensions are weird, I'm 6'3" and can drive a s2k and a miata just fine. Traffic lights can be problems in my miata and I deleted the visors. Stock seats though I've been meaning to hack out some foam. My miata is also super low and I've caught a few people staring at me getting in or out of it :rms:

Minkee
Dec 20, 2004

Fat Chicks Love Me
I'm going through the fun of replacing just about everything on my NA who had a bit of a rough life and I was wondering if any of the short shift kits were even remotely worth it? http://www.gomiata.com/mamirarzpesh.html

I have heard suggestions from I might as well just get a short shifter with new bushing already on it..

and I have also heard don't waste your time and get a voodoo shift knob and a rebuild kit such as the bronze shifter bushing set from 5x racing with new upper and lower boots. http://5xracing.com/i-13175520-5xr-race-spec-shifter-rebuild-kits-for-1990-1997-mazda-miata.html

Have you guys done short shifters recently and was it even that drastic of an improvement? I'm ultimately considering doing it because I already have to do the shifter bushings and its not any additional work to do it.

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right

Larrymer posted:

Here's the non-track modded one I'm looking at.
http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...390840003&Log=0

Best looking NB (IMO), VVT, sport brakes, sport suspension, 6 speed (in case I ever turbo it), 3.9 R&P, hard top. I'd almost feel bad throwing a roll bar and seats into it since it's a really nice car, but track day bro. :v:

I'm thinking non-hardtop rollbar for added bar height, Ultrashield Rally seat mounted to the floor that's hopefully comfortable :ohdear:, and just deal with seatbelts that don't retract. I just wish I could swap the stock seat back in afterwards and not have to cut off the rear seat humps but I don't think I'll be low enough otherwise.
Seems p nice but $8900 seems like a lot. Perhaps that's what you gotta pay for THE PERFECT CAR, especially if you're about to dump $4k into it.

I've heard on and off that the non-hardtop rollbar does fit under the hardtop and just blocks the latches. Is that right? FWIW nobody ever asked me to do a broomstick test when I hard the hardtop on, but without it they could see my hardtop-rollbar was too low just by eyeballing me on the track.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

He said he'd do 8 which is still expensive, but it's nice. I'm thinking now about MR2s since the price is getting stupid. I can get on track with a good setup there for just the cost of the car. hmmmmm

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

Larrymer posted:

I've found the perfect car that I want to buy, but I'm realizing I don't think a miata will work for me again. :( I really want a nice street/track car but since the miata is a vert you have to have a rollbar, which is a pain in the rear end if you're 6'1". Because then you need a race seat mounted to the floor with the rear seat mounts cut out of the chassis and then it starts to become less streetable. I had a 94 and did all of this, and I'm not sure if I want to do it again. The race seat sucked (Sparco Sprint V) and sitting on the floor you have basically no padding. I'd like the car to be fun on track but not sacrifice comfort to get there.

Anybody have any thoughts? I've been debating this in my head for a couple days now.

Have you tried out other seat models? Entry level racing seats have gently caress all for padding and comfort, it might be worth investing in a better seat if that's the only issue. I've heard good things about the Pro-Car seat mounts too.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

I've given up the miata street/track car idea. For somebody my size there's no good compromise I don't think. And it's too much money for the "meh" end result (roll bar right by your head in a probably uncomfortable seat, and you can't just bolt the stock seat back in).

If I were to get another miata, I think it would be a track only car with a cage or just not track it and leave the roll bar out of the equation.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
The ND supposedly lowered the seats and has more interior room in general, you know what to do :getin:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Larrymer posted:

I've given up the miata street/track car idea. For somebody my size there's no good compromise I don't think. And it's too much money for the "meh" end result (roll bar right by your head in a probably uncomfortable seat, and you can't just bolt the stock seat back in).

If I were to get another miata, I think it would be a track only car with a cage or just not track it and leave the roll bar out of the equation.

Or get two, one for a DD and one for track. Lotta people do that.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

leica posted:

Or get two, one for a DD and one for track. Lotta people do that.

Or you can do what my neighbor does, have three and don't use any of them. It's like a little open air exhibit on the states of decay of the Miata.

If I get re-contracted at work for the next fiscal year I'm gonna have to go over and start making him offers for bits, he's even got 2 nice hard tops. If I don't get re-contracted I get to write a nice little trip report about moving house with a Miata :smithicide:

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries
I just had my clutch replaced and welp, now I realize that I've been learning stick on a worn-rear end clutch. Apparently it's not normal for it to start engaging at halfway! That was definitely a rude awakening.

Now I'm getting the clutch smell plus a little white smoke everywhere I go. Is that normal for the break-in period?

f_c_
Oct 27, 2007

I'm getting ready to do an engine rebuild, anybody have any experience or opinions on DNJ engine components from Rock Auto? Googling seems to tell me they are fine but the kit is so cheap compared to every were else it makes me wary.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

mobby_6kl posted:

The ND supposedly lowered the seats and has more interior room in general, you know what to do :getin:

Its got a webbed seat, just like my sparco sprint. :woop::woop: Hell, my seat is getting so beat up from use i will certainly consider fitting ND seats in my NA when/if they become available.

PS, My key is all hosed up and i'm going to need to replace it. Before i head to a locksmith, are there any cool key blanks that are mazda or miata themed that dont break the bank? A rotary key blank for 30 dollars doesnt really make sense (found on ebay)

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

I've had dreams of hacking up an old set of seats and using some aircraft seat foam to make something like a "foamectomy" seat without it being a loose, gross hammock. http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/AearoE-A-R.htm

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice

Hikaki posted:

Now I'm getting the clutch smell plus a little white smoke everywhere I go. Is that normal for the break-in period?

I have very little mechanical knowledge, but that doesn't seem right to me. Maybe some clutch smell, but smoke sounds like something is wrong. I didn't see anything in a quick google search that indicated smoke and smell being normal on a new clutch.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

f_c_ posted:

I'm getting ready to do an engine rebuild, anybody have any experience or opinions on DNJ engine components from Rock Auto? Googling seems to tell me they are fine but the kit is so cheap compared to every were else it makes me wary.

I wouldn't use anything but Mazda parts but that's just me.

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries

GOD IS BED posted:

I have very little mechanical knowledge, but that doesn't seem right to me. Maybe some clutch smell, but smoke sounds like something is wrong. I didn't see anything in a quick google search that indicated smoke and smell being normal on a new clutch.

The smell I would logically expect, but I'm hoping the smoke is just spilled fluid being burned off. I'll see if it goes away after a few days.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

I've replaced a few clutches including a couple miata clutches and they've never smelled during break in, so I'd guess it's you. Stop slipping the clutch so much. Your objective is to get that left foot off the pedal as quick as possible without stalling/lugging it or doing a burnout. Find the (new) point where it releases and don't stay around there too long.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

MattD1zzl3 posted:

http://www.flyinmiata.com/index.php?deptid=4538&stocknumber=13-69010

Get this. its amazing for pretty much all NVH under and behind you.
Door bars are much better. I wouldn't even bother with frame rails if you have the option.

I guess as long as I'm posting in here I may as well show off some new JDM swag.

destructo fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Feb 4, 2015

Teketeketeketeke
Mar 11, 2007

destructo posted:

I guess as long as I'm posting in here I may as well show off some new JDM swag.

That is a work of art.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice
That's gorgeous, destructo.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
THE FUCKIN' TEARS http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/features/a24927/when-it-comes-to-miata-horsepower-155-is-enough/

The one that destructo has in his car right now is really nice, as well, Into The Blue. If I had a second NA, I'd totally be JDMing it up because the Dewa panels are so well made.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
I am legit excited for the ND, it's the only car that would sway me from buying an FRS/BRZ. If I made enough to afford a new car, that is...

IronCastKnight
Jul 27, 2013

Sweet jesus that is boss as gently caress, I am envious.

My Miata is making an annoying as poo poo chookachookachooka sound that's barely audible to nonexistant when it's warm but becomes somewhat loud when its cold, and it goes away when I apply the brakes. I suspect it may be one of the hubs being a little bit warped so the rotor intermittently contacts the brake pads. Fortunately there's no impact on control or braking, so it's just annoying.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Just had my rear pads done in a shop. Because like a bitch I didn't want to lie on the street in freezing temperatures :shobon:

The labor cost almost as much as the pads I supplied (but still ~1/3 of stealership quote) because apparently one of the calipers was quite rusted and they had to mess with it a lot. The end result is that the handbrake doesn't engage the left side (might be able to adjust it myself), and also the pads came out looking like this:

:gonk:

The other side is in the background, all these were PO's pads. So the new pads are in but I'm concerned that whatever caused such uneven wear is still there. What should I look into to figure out what the gently caress's going on there?

destructo posted:

Door bars are much better. I wouldn't even bother with frame rails if you have the option.

Yep that's pretty awesome, too bad it'll only ever look right in an NA :(

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Great article. People just don't loving get it, and the majority that don't are supposed Miata owners. I agree with the Z4 sentiment too, you want 200 HP? Get a Z4, they're out there, you can buy one right now! Then shut the gently caress up and leave the rest of us alone :v:

Edmund Honda
Sep 27, 2003

quote:

At just under 2500 pounds and modified to close to 200 horsepower my 2010 MX-5 has all of those attributes (alive steering, the ability to get close to its limits) that the new car has. What's the incentive for me to upgrade to the new car especially since the Skyactiv engines are hard to extract power from.
The new car isn't bigger and faster, what's the point :mad:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
It's just concern trolling. All the people whining about some arbitrary number of peak HP were never in the market, but they have extremely important opinions that you must hear. It's the same poo poo with the Toyobaru twins. I do like how the NC is being retconned as THE PEAK OF MAZDA DESIGN, though.

Defaulting to making GBS threads on other people is pretty well known as this point; however, having genuine enthusiasm for things these days and being OK with compromise just cranks some people up to 11 when it comes to the haterade. It's like a dick waving contest for people who don't have a dog in the fight, but with seeing who can hate on poo poo more and bring up the fact that Honda once made a car that did a thing. OK.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

The part of the ND that just doesn't fit (to my eye) are the round taillights. I wish they had gone angular with the housings, and round elements inside.

I still plan on buying one in 2017.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

That's beautiful! Is that kmh or mph?

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Terrible Robot posted:

I am legit excited for the ND, it's the only car that would sway me from buying an FRS/BRZ. If I made enough to afford a new car, that is...

Same, poorbro. :hf:

blk
Dec 19, 2009

destructo posted:

That's beautiful. I wish someone made new faceplates for the AC controls on the center stack to match all the cool gauge clusters out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sex Weirdo
Jul 24, 2007

On the last page someone said that the ND was rumored to start at $30.5k, which if true, makes the BRZ the better buy imo. The base BRZ starts at $5k less dollars and you get 45 more horsepower and a hardtop coupe (I consider it the MX-5 coupe we never got). That's not to mention other features I admittedly haven't researched like does the ND come with navigation, HIDs, or a limited slip differential? Unless you absolutely have to have a drop top, I just don't see the value here.