Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Mak0rz posted:

What on earth ARE they testing anyway?

If it's possible to carry all the guns and still able to move in real life as quickly as you can in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Starhawk64 posted:

move as quickly like you can in Doom.

Well in that case they're playing the wrong Doom :colbert:

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
They're going after some of the biggest unresolved myths in gaming. Next episode we're going to find out if Mew is really hiding behind that truck in Vermilion City.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

No BFG. :(

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
Next time on Mythbusters: Does rocket jumping really work in real life?

Falsum
May 10, 2013

Crazy for the Bros
I hope they checked if real people can run faster by moving diagonally.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

The Fruit Ninja testing setup felt like it probably was really frightening and even dangerous for the jugglers, who were throwing the fruit from below him. Accidentally lose your grip while swinging that katana and you could seriously wound or kill somebody pretty easily.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

Considering Doomguy moves faster than a Cheetah from a standing start, I think there's bigger things to concern yourself regarding Doom's realism than "but can he carry all that stuff??"

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

They should have done the Max Payne testing: Can you be drunk, depressive and still shoot-dodge for hours? Or "can you press E to hide in mass grave?" :q:

But seriously, I wouldn't mind to do a doom level with nerf guns and limited ammo with randomly placed items and monsters/guys.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Guillermus posted:

But seriously, I wouldn't mind to do a doom level with nerf guns and limited ammo with randomly placed items and monsters/guys.

That's larping

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

To be fair, there are worse things to LARP than Doom.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

It would be basically Airsoft with a doom theme, and yes, Airsoft is larping aswell.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Immersion - Video Game Inventory Systems: http://youtu.be/Ucw-zW_Q7P4

Rooster Teeth did it years ago, and better.

Man, that Mythbusters clip is "vidyagames" as hell. Ugh.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Guillermus posted:

It would be basically Airsoft with a doom theme, and yes, Airsoft is larping aswell.

My friend is a huge larp nerd and it honestly sounds fun when he talks about it.They once did a starship troopers themed game in an old underground mushroom culture, I like the idea.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I've played airsoft for years and hated the guys that went all tacticlol, especially when I'm in the army and used to go nuts, run around taunting like a madman without any tactic just because I wanted to have mindless fun. So the idea of an old, dark setup with armor, people playing zombies with huge plastic wrenches and other stuff tickles my inner child. I can't run at 40mph but hey, I'd love to have a nerf double barreled shotgun because why not :getin:

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

A few years back I remember seeing a video of some guys running a Doom themed 3-gun stage that looked rad as hell. (3-gun = run through a course as quickly as possible while shooting targets from different positions and distances with a handgun, shotgun, and rifle.) I can't seem to find it again, but maybe someone else remembers it.

SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

It's the exception because every other game's attempt at making procedurally generated maps sucks by comparison to hand-made maps. SoF2, Tower of Guns, Ziggurat, Paranautical Activity, Hellgate London, Heavy Bullets, etc.

All the rooms in Tower of Guns are hand made, they just get strung together in a semirandom order every time you play, and all the spots with loot have random loot. That's it. Tower of Guns is a good game though.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Ziggurat is fun as hell too.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Airsoft LARPing is hella fun. My friend and I sometimes dress up all Mad Max and do poo poo like banzai charges and drive-bys in go karts(we just play at a friend's farm, so anything goes). It's fun, effective AND it pisses off any tactilol morons that get invited.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
I want someone to do a real-life Quake 1 duel or FFA, complete with hopping around like an idiot and trying to change direction in the air, to show how ridiculous it would look in real life. Architecture that would make an OSHA inspector have a heart attack is optional. :v:

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Airsoft LARPing is hella fun. My friend and I sometimes dress up all Mad Max and do poo poo like banzai charges and drive-bys in go karts(we just play at a friend's farm, so anything goes). It's fun, effective AND it pisses off any tactilol morons that get invited.

you should do a larp where you pretend to be a mass murderer

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Is there any other kind of larping?

Aphal
Sep 14, 2004

I'm just a clown in the eyes of the world :(

closeted republican posted:

I was instantly turned off when they said it had procedural-generated levels. It turns out the actual game is another generic roguelike FPS game that tries to be "old-skewl" and fails to be so in every possible way. It feels like it's designed to appeal to nostalgia-obsessed teens and 20-somethings who are "big hardkore oldscool first person gamerz" but really haven't played classic fps games lately except that time they played a few Doom 2 levels in Brutal Doom two years ago and made by people who think the only thing that makes an FPS old school is going (relatively) fast.

It sounds like you've already made up your mind on this game, but for the sake of accuracy, it's worth mentioning that STRAFE is not doing truly procedural generation of levels.

http://strafedevblog.com/post/93056717598/how-we-are-handling-level-generation-in-strafe

As you can see here they are hand crafting rooms with multiple attach points and then building a level of out of those.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Aphal posted:

It sounds like you've already made up your mind on this game, but for the sake of accuracy, it's worth mentioning that STRAFE is not doing truly procedural generation of levels.

http://strafedevblog.com/post/93056717598/how-we-are-handling-level-generation-in-strafe

As you can see here they are hand crafting rooms with multiple attach points and then building a level of out of those.

Like the dungeons in Daggerfall. Heck, Oblige works with prefabs too. It's still procedural generation.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Lovingly made Prefab's really seems to be the way to go in FPS's. Maybe the destructible environments of Red Faction would work for a purely randomized world a-la Minecraft but without a way to destroy terrain i think it would get frustrating.

Of course you run the risk of "I've seen this room before.", but randomizing the props, the hazards and the monster spawns should cut that problem down without a gameplay sacrifice.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The best dungeons in roguelikes are in DCSS, and DCSS relies heavily on pre-built content to create interesting encounters. The difference between depending on true random generation, and depending on randomly chosen content, isn't functionally a big deal.

Doom having the best random generation is funny because you could just pull random doom maps from any of the tens of thousands of wads and achieve the same effect.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Jordan7hm posted:

The best dungeons in roguelikes are in DCSS, and DCSS relies heavily on pre-built content to create interesting encounters.

Wha? I agree the dungeons are great, but the vast majority of them are just rooms randomly connected together, albeit in an interesting manner. Very few pieces are pre-built aside from certain vaults and rune rooms.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

Aphal posted:

Anyone have any tips on getting the Quake music/soundtrack to work? I'm using the Steam version of Quake, but running the engoo source port recommended several pages back. I google'd and found ogg downloads of the soundtrack made for darkplaces since the steam version doesn't even have the files. I dumped them into /music and /sound/cdtracks/ but I just get an error about Track001.mid being missing. Does engoo not support this?

Nope, Engoo won't do it for ya. See http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=119489135

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

closeted republican posted:

I want someone to do a real-life Quake 1 duel or FFA, complete with hopping around like an idiot and trying to change direction in the air, to show how ridiculous it would look in real life. Architecture that would make an OSHA inspector have a heart attack is optional. :v:

This is not that, but you reminded me of it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8Lf_kpWLFo

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Just wanted to throw it out there that Ziggurat pretty much perfectly captures the oldschool FPS feeling of blasting monsters while running at ridiculously fast speeds. It's Heretic meets Binding of Isaac with really colorful art.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2eDCkxSchzI

It's fun game.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Yodzilla posted:

Ziggurat pretty much perfectly captures the oldschool FPS feeling

Here we go! :can:

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Yodzilla posted:

Just wanted to throw it out there that Ziggurat pretty much perfectly captures the oldschool FPS feeling of blasting monsters while running at ridiculously fast speeds. It's Heretic meets Binding of Isaac with really colorful art.

It's fun game.

It sort of does but the randomized level design just doesn't really grab me at all. I feel like I should like it, but I just can't get into it, which is unfortunate, as a lot about it DOES feel really good.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Yeah I can see the boxiness of the levels being a turnoff and maybe I'll get tired of it but so far there's been good variety in the two games I've played.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
Mostly it's the weapon and level design that have stopped me from spending money on Ziggurat. Do the levels ever get interesting architecture or is it always a mostly-empty room with maybe some changes in elevation?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Yodzilla posted:

It's fun game.

I want to like it, but the art style is too cartoony for me and is a turn-off.

Also the gameplay is way closer to Serious Sam than it is to Doom. To me oldschool FPS is always Doom/Quake style. I never got into Serious Sam or Painkiller all that much.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Bouchacha posted:

Wha? I agree the dungeons are great, but the vast majority of them are just rooms randomly connected together, albeit in an interesting manner. Very few pieces are pre-built aside from certain vaults and rune rooms.

DCSS relies really heavily on vaults and those vault sequences that introduce hand-made sections with random elements.

The most interesting parts of the DCSS dungeons are handmade, but there are so many of vaults that you rarely see the same thing unless you play a ton.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Geight posted:

Mostly it's the weapon and level design that have stopped me from spending money on Ziggurat. Do the levels ever get interesting architecture or is it always a mostly-empty room with maybe some changes in elevation?
No, they never get better. What does get better is the weapon and perk selection, though; you start with the most boring, straightforward spells and unlock more interesting stuff.
There's also a couple nice callbacks like Hexen's serpent staff and lightning spell. It's a fun game overall, even if the terrain and levels are repetitive. Guess it's up to how much you mind arena shooters.

Some dumb idiot
Jun 6, 2012

Step by step
Hop the mountain
Step by step
Hop the ocean
Step by step
Hop the rainbow
I'll be running
Yeah, I dislike how many supposedly "Retro" FPSs coming out these days are just shooting monsters in arenas like Painkiller or Serious Sam.

Really at this point I'd just appreciate something like a new Timesplitters, the last game in that series was basically a cross between GoldenEye shooting and Duke 3D having random crap to interact with.

Also it had some pretty drat good guns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YU6NCnnQLyY

Some dumb idiot fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Feb 2, 2015

lurker1981
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW

Some dumb idiot posted:

Yeah, I dislike how many supposedly "Retro" FPSs coming out these days are just shooting monsters in arenas like Painkiller or Serious Sam.

Really at this point I'd just appreciate something like a new Timesplitters, the last game in that series was basically a cross between GoldenEye shooting and Duke 3D having random crap to interact with.

Pffffft...

I'll be happy when Brutal Doom 20 gets released.

Add a little bit of Oblige, and you basically have Strafe. Except with what might be better looking graphics. And the whole game would be free since it uses Freedoom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Some dumb idiot posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YU6NCnnQLyY

I loving love the Timesplitters series and you're right that this thread doesn't pay it enough love.

If for nothing else (and this game has SO much more to offer) the fact that they made a console FPS with a level editor... I mean comeon! That's loving brilliant! Most PC FPS don't even ship with a level editor these days, and Timesplitters had a really fantastic newbie-friendly editor on the loving playstation!!

And it was decently robust too, you could place individual weapons and combine different shapes of rooms and hallways, move things in 3d space, and even pick from several different themes.

When I was a kid Timesplitters was pretty much the perfect FPS, because my design sense at the time was "more guns = better, more enemies = better, more characters = better, more level variety = better"

Timesplitters has so many different guns and characters its STUPID.

They did the hopping through time thing that Daikatana did only not stupid. The levels were really fun and had tons of their own style and charm.

Ugh I want a TS4 soooooo bad.

Two words: Duckman Drake.