Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

If your Mirra is thunking or scraping or hissing then it's definitely hosed up. Mine's completely silent except a gentle bump when returning from reclined.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

garbagewater
Oct 18, 2010
I have a chance to pick up craigslist aeron for $650. The guy didn't have pictures but claims he spent over $1200 on it. The only local shop that sells these chairs has a $1200 one, but it's the fully decked out polished aluminum one with all the upgrades. Do you guys think it's worth checking out? I just got a raise and figured I'd celebrate by upgrading what is essentially the folding chair I've been using since my old task chair broke. The alternative is $780 after tax for the basic model (:canada:).

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
I'd consider getting something from Steelcase instead for that price. It sounds like the Aeron's pretty outdated, and in that price bracket you can get a chair with a warranty.

garbagewater
Oct 18, 2010

Ralith posted:

It sounds like the Aeron's pretty outdated

Do you mean in terms of aesthetics, or the chance that the one I would purchase may have been manufactured in the 90s? I do like the Steelcase Leap, for example, but that's over $900 online, and with the Canadian dollar worth 80 cents US, that's just not going to happen right now.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

garbagewater posted:

I have a chance to pick up craigslist aeron for $650. The guy didn't have pictures but claims he spent over $1200 on it. The only local shop that sells these chairs has a $1200 one, but it's the fully decked out polished aluminum one with all the upgrades. Do you guys think it's worth checking out? I just got a raise and figured I'd celebrate by upgrading what is essentially the folding chair I've been using since my old task chair broke. The alternative is $780 after tax for the basic model (:canada:).

I'd be deeply suspicious of someone that wants $650 for something but couldn't be bothered taking pictures.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

garbagewater posted:

Do you mean in terms of aesthetics, or the chance that the one I would purchase may have been manufactured in the 90s?
I mean in terms of ergonomic design, based on previous posts in this thread. Insofar as that it was ever intended to be an ergonomic chair in the first place, which apparently it wasn't?

garbagewater
Oct 18, 2010

Fil5000 posted:

I'd be deeply suspicious of someone that wants $650 for something but couldn't be bothered taking pictures.

It was an email response to a wanted ad I posted looking for a decent chair. I haven't asked him for photos yet.

particle9
Nov 14, 2004
In the guide to getting dumped, this guy helped me realize that with time it does get better. And yeah, he did get his custom title.
I honestly think the Aeron is pretty much timeless, it's just a really good chair. The Leap is also good in it's way but definitely way different so I would check both of them out before you buy one honestly, or at least get it at a place that won't give you poo poo if you return it/exchange it. For $650 I would just go online and buy a new one with all the adjustments and the warranty. Lightly used, with all the adjustments $650 isn't bad but you won't really know what to look for if you aren't familiar with the chair so it might be worth $300 bucks for a warranty and peace of mind.

Chairs are pretty subjective in the comfort department. I like the Aeron and have always used one at work. We also have the Leap and I think it's okay but not as good.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Hey so I just got a steelcase leap v2. Any tips for getting it dialed in? I'm not really sure how I should adjust the lumbar support.

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip

particle9 posted:

I honestly think the Aeron is pretty much timeless, it's just a really good chair. The Leap is also good in it's way but definitely way different so I would check both of them out before you buy one honestly, or at least get it at a place that won't give you poo poo if you return it/exchange it. For $650 I would just go online and buy a new one with all the adjustments and the warranty. Lightly used, with all the adjustments $650 isn't bad but you won't really know what to look for if you aren't familiar with the chair so it might be worth $300 bucks for a warranty and peace of mind.

Chairs are pretty subjective in the comfort department. I like the Aeron and have always used one at work. We also have the Leap and I think it's okay but not as good.

I personally hated the aeron I was given because it didn't "fit" my back and there was nothing I could do to make it work. I ended up just using some ancient lovely chair.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I couldn't get into the Aeron either and I don't think $650 is a great deal. I bought a brand new Embody a year or so about for something like $875 :canada: out the door (I don't remember exactly, but it was close to that).

Aerons seem to be asking $500, and I am sure the actual deal is for less than that.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

garbagewater posted:

For what its worth I got a used Aeron with some upgrades from Okimis (through atwork.ca) for $450 Canadian. Its in pretty good condition overall, no real beefs except one of the arms needed to be tightened a bit. It was from an office liquidation and they only had green but whatever, it looks fine. You can get them even cheaper on kijiji quite often too.

The Aeron is great but Human Scale and Steelcase make some great chairs too so don't limit yourself. I really liked the HumanScale chairs I tried but unfortunately they were like $800 and my budget was $500.

The Gunslinger fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Jan 26, 2015

garbagewater
Oct 18, 2010
Thanks for the advice everyone. Managed to convince my boss to buy me a new Herman Miller chair but I will continue the look out for a cheap used one for my home.

N256
Dec 30, 2009
Just got a decent 10-year-old Leap for $60.

Can I make the armrests less wiggly? It seems to be due to the Torx screws, but when I turn them nothing gets tighter (and can be turned forever). Also, if I can describe this correctly, is the back supposed to move with the same smoothness going back as it is going forward? And other chairs that I tried at OfficeMax seem to have constant resistance against you leaning back, but this chair there's a sort of "stickiness" at the point where you switch directions between going back and going forward. It feels as if something needs to be greased.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
2 and a half years ago my left arm rest for my Aeron broke, I ordered a new part from a chair shop for 35 bucks after shipping for a single bolt (:gonk:) and associated pieces to fix. Like clockwork, the right arm broke the other night. I was expecting it. I hit up the same chair shop for the part and just my luck, Herman Miller marks the part as no longer user replaceable and would need to turn it in to the shop, or any authorized Herman Miller shop to get it fixed. Nuts to that, that's more money and me having to take my chair in.

I started scouring sites for the part and unfortunately couldn't find it since the Aerons went to the newer levered design and figured there were getting rarer to get a hold of. Then I started looking on ebay. Ended up coming across this auction for some home machined bolts with a different assembly from the official parts. 30 bucks with free shipping for both arms. Sounds fair and figured I'd give it try and apparently offers a 2 year warranty on them and says his customers haven't complained about any breakage. I look forward to another opportunity to partially disassemble my chair so here's hoping they're as good as he says they are.

$35.88 - Arm bolt, first repair I did in 2012
$69.95 - Pneumatic cylinder replacement I've posted about before in this thread late 2014.
$29.95 - Home machined bolts just purchased, 2015

$135.78 - Total repairs over 3 years for my free Aeron that is at this point 14-15 years old? Eh, I'll take it.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Got the bolts I mentioned in the above post and installed them after I got home. They are loving rock solid.

They came with very verbose instructions that covered a number of situations (3 double-sided pages!). The wooden jig that comes with the bolts is used to stick in the rail of the arm adjustment slot to hold up the arm as you're screwing it in and made the process really easy. I can still move the arms up and down with not much issue and they lock down very tightly. The set still uses all but the original bolts, spring leaves and screw blocks.

Pretty much why the original bolts break is that they get sheared right from the bolt head on the block as shown below on the left side.

These replacement bolts appear to be fitted into the blocks they are attached to and have more surface area attached to it which is probably why they are solidly built.

Highly recommended for older Aerons!

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
FYI: The steelcase online store(link) is having a 15% off everything sale starting february second, so if you were thinking of getting a chair from them this might be the right time.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
I've had my Embody for a few days now and I'm pretty pleased. Still dialing in the right settings for back curvature. It's a very easy chair to adjust, with controls requiring little force, operating smoothly, and all being easily reachable while sitting. The various fancy things it does instead of using foam padding seem to work as advertised. The seat feels like a really deep and conforming cushion, while the back is firm but molds to fit you.

The upgraded fabric is a relatively thick layer of padding with colander-style perforations, sandwiched tightly between two layers of extremely thin mesh. The result has an interesting texture, and is ultimately really comfortable.Seems like it'd be pretty difficult to clean, though, so I'll have to be careful about that. Definitely glad I opted for the all-black style so that noticeable discoloration is unlikely to occur no matter what.

The seat's so wide you could probably fit two people on it side by side with the arms swung out to their full extent, and the entire structure around its edges is made out of soft rubber, so you can shift around and stretch however you like and be comfortable. Combined with the way the thin back keeps out of the way of your arms, it makes for a remarkably accommodating chair. For once in my life I have no impulse at all to hunch forward or slouch at my computer.

TXT BOOTY7 2 47474
Jan 12, 2006

eat your vegetables dot com
So there's no clear megathread-style OP here. What are some good brands of chairs that cost around 100-200? Lots of cushioning is a must, but with a firm backbone to it.I hear those Maxnomic chairs are all hype.

Does this look like a good one? I just don't know what to look for, but my $30 Target chair has to go.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
For $200, you don't really have a lot of options besides getting a used chair from a good brand. Starting around $400-500 you can get the basic task chairs new from Herman Miller, Steelcase, etc.; typically if you're paying less than that it's going to come at a cost of either durability or ergonomics. If it's a hard budget and used chairs aren't an option in your area, I'd probably go with the Ikea Markus - it's not really on the same level as the name brand stuff for ergonomics, but it does have a ten year warranty.

The chair you linked looks sketchy to me - seems like a bog standard generic office chair that will wear out after a year of use. Customer reviews seem to fit that perception, and the warranty looks like it might as well be nonexistent. I'd avoid it.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

TXT BOOTY7 2 47474 posted:

So there's no clear megathread-style OP here. What are some good brands of chairs that cost around 100-200? Lots of cushioning is a must, but with a firm backbone to it.I hear those Maxnomic chairs are all hype.

Does this look like a good one? I just don't know what to look for, but my $30 Target chair has to go.

You have to spend a lot more than that for a decent chair, though you do get your monies worth. I have a Steelcase task chair that I got used for about $150, manufactured in 1993 and still in good condition. For my computer chair I got a pretty good looking $400 chair and while it was pretty comfortable out of the box I greatly regret it because it only came with a 1 year warranty. After two years the tilt mechanism broke, after another two years one of the arms tore out and took a chunk of the bottom with it so now I'm getting a Steelcase Leap because while it's very expensive up front it comes with a 12 year warranty and will probably last like 20 years, in that time I could end up spending way more on lovely chair after lovely chair and still have a sore back and an empty wallet to show for it.

Lehban
Nov 7, 2010
Steelcase and herman miller chairs are incredibly expensive in Denmark, so when i got tired of getting back pains from my 12 year old plastic fake leather chair i bought the Markus.
Great step up from the cheap chairs if it fits you. Good lumber support, the seat is firm but doesn't get uncomfortable and the back mesh is ok. The seat tilts back aswell which makes reclining quite comfortable. Definitely worth recommending if you don't have the money to spend on leap etc. (or at least live in a country where there is no such thing as a second hand leap market).

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

That chair looks awful to be honest. The cushion will start flecking after a year, the arms and seating will be worn down by then too. The adjustments are basic at best.

You're better off living with the Target chair an extra few months while you save up more money and get something decent that will last. I'm not a huge fan of the Markus but its a better option than that thing.

garbagewater
Oct 18, 2010

The bonded leather fabric on that will literally disintegrate within a year.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Just to throw my hat in the ring, I went from an 80 buck office depot chair to a maxnomic and I couldn't be happier. People in this thread will hate on it, and probably with some very true points but several months in and this chair is still absolutely great. Its incredibly comfortable and even after some seriously long gaming sessions I don't feel bad. I would call it a "perfect" chair but it is leaps and bounds beyond what I had before.

A lot of people here will tell you to spend 500+ on a chair because its worth it, which really means, its worth it to them. Maxnomics and dxracers (which imo is like a bad maxnomic) are a lot of name brand, sure, but they are also pretty darn good chairs.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Knifegrab posted:

Just to throw my hat in the ring, I went from an 80 buck office depot chair to a maxnomic and I couldn't be happier. People in this thread will hate on it, and probably with some very true points but several months in and this chair is still absolutely great. Its incredibly comfortable and even after some seriously long gaming sessions I don't feel bad. I would call it a "perfect" chair but it is leaps and bounds beyond what I had before.

A lot of people here will tell you to spend 500+ on a chair because its worth it, which really means, its worth it to them. Maxnomics and dxracers (which imo is like a bad maxnomic) are a lot of name brand, sure, but they are also pretty darn good chairs.

Actually I did the math and I spend less in the long run by buying an expensive chair that will actually last a long time, in fact I have spent more than a Steelcase Leap on chairs over the last 8 years, the Leap comes with a lifetime warranty(some parts are only 12 years, but can be replaced past that period if they fail), if I had bought a Leap 8 years ago I would have had an incredibly comfortable chair for 8 years now. You've had a few months with that chair, come back in a few years and let us know how it's holding up.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Actually I did the math and I spend less in the long run by buying an expensive chair that will actually last a long time, in fact I have spent more than a Steelcase Leap on chairs over the last 8 years, the Leap comes with a lifetime warranty(some parts are only 12 years, but can be replaced past that period if they fail), if I had bought a Leap 8 years ago I would have had an incredibly comfortable chair for 8 years now. You've had a few months with that chair, come back in a few years and let us know how it's holding up.

Hey, like I said, there are probably reasons, but my own two cents is that so far its been great, and anecdotally from the people I know who have had one for years its still doing great too.

fwiw Linus's review video here is what made me bite the bullet and I agree with all his points.

Knifegrab fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Feb 2, 2015

isndl
May 2, 2012

Knifegrab posted:

Hey, like I said, there are probably reasons, but my own two cents is that so far its been great, and anecdotally from the people I know who have had one for years its still doing great too.

fwiw Linus's review video here is what made me bite the bullet and I agree with all his points.

My opinion is that the Maxonomic isn't a bad chair per se, but it lacks the 10+ year warranty and the pricing is getting very close to that of an ergonomic task chair that does include that warranty. Unless you really want a chair that allows you to recline and sleep in it, you could get a better chair for the same money.

Linus is satisfied with the Maxonomic, however he admitted right at the beginning of the video that his personal experience was with a generic Costco chair and an Ikea chair. With that as my baseline, I'd be happy with the Maxonomic as well, but that doesn't mean I couldn't do better.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

isndl posted:

My opinion is that the Maxonomic isn't a bad chair per se, but it lacks the 10+ year warranty and the pricing is getting very close to that of an ergonomic task chair that does include that warranty. Unless you really want a chair that allows you to recline and sleep in it, you could get a better chair for the same money.

Linus is satisfied with the Maxonomic, however he admitted right at the beginning of the video that his personal experience was with a generic Costco chair and an Ikea chair. With that as my baseline, I'd be happy with the Maxonomic as well, but that doesn't mean I couldn't do better.

Yeah but some people just simply aren't willing to spend the 500+ needed for most of the chairs recommended here. So this is probably a decent compromise. If you want the best you gotta spend the most, but sometimes people can't justify that cost, even if long term its cheaper.

isndl
May 2, 2012

Knifegrab posted:

Yeah but some people just simply aren't willing to spend the 500+ needed for most of the chairs recommended here. So this is probably a decent compromise. If you want the best you gotta spend the most, but sometimes people can't justify that cost, even if long term its cheaper.

Thing is, we're not talking about doubling the price or anything absurd like that. You're spending ~$400 on the Maxonomic, and a basic task chair is ~$500. For an extra hundred bucks you go from a 1 year warranty to a 10 year warranty which is huge. That is well worth an extra month or two of saving up, and if you still can't justify that, just buy the Markus and save $200 instead. I just don't see the Maxonomic as a compromise at its price point, particularly with its short warranty. If it was $300 with a five year warranty then sure, maybe it's a good compromise, but that Markus is still arguably the better value proposition until you break $500. :shrug:

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

isndl posted:

Thing is, we're not talking about doubling the price or anything absurd like that. You're spending ~$400 on the Maxonomic, and a basic task chair is ~$500. For an extra hundred bucks you go from a 1 year warranty to a 10 year warranty which is huge. That is well worth an extra month or two of saving up, and if you still can't justify that, just buy the Markus and save $200 instead. I just don't see the Maxonomic as a compromise at its price point, particularly with its short warranty. If it was $300 with a five year warranty then sure, maybe it's a good compromise, but that Markus is still arguably the better value proposition until you break $500. :shrug:

Whoops, sorry, I keep forgetting I got my maxnomic for ~200 bucks, but that it normally retails for closer to 400. Yeah its a fair point. The markus looks decent, I hate non-adjustable arm rests but thats a super preference thing.

fatman1683
Jan 8, 2004
So it looks like the Gesture is excluded from the Steelcase sale :argh:

That being said, a Leap with the options I want and the discount comes to nearly as much as a Gesture. Assuming the price is equal, anyone have a rationale for comparison between the Leap and the Gesture?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
My Markus has lasted 2-3 years at this point, and I'm a big guy. It seems like its almost at the end of its lifespan now, as sometimes when i sit down the cylinder just starts letting out air for no reason.

I figure I'll trawl Craigslist and see if I can't find a second-hand good chair, but I'm not quote there yet.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Inspector_666 posted:

My Markus has lasted 2-3 years at this point, and I'm a big guy. It seems like its almost at the end of its lifespan now, as sometimes when i sit down the cylinder just starts letting out air for no reason.

I figure I'll trawl Craigslist and see if I can't find a second-hand good chair, but I'm not quote there yet.

Ain't there like a 5 or 10 year warranty on that chair?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Knifegrab posted:

Ain't there like a 5 or 10 year warranty on that chair?

Oh wow, it does have a 10 year warranty :stare:

I didn't think Ikea would do that.

But it's a limited warranty for defects and I lost the original receipt long ago.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Inspector_666 posted:

Oh wow, it does have a 10 year warranty :stare:

I didn't think Ikea would do that.

But it's a limited warranty for defects and I lost the original receipt long ago.

Its possible they could look up your account history. I really don't know how Ikea handles that kind of thing though.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Knifegrab posted:

Its possible they could look up your account history. I really don't know how Ikea handles that kind of thing though.

Yeah, it might be worth calling them about it regardless. I really had no idea their warranties were so long.

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug
If anyone in NH or MA needs a chair I bought a Leap v2 off this listing:

http://nh.craigslist.org/for/4861999245.html

Chair was in new condition, tag still on it, manufacture date of Oct 2014. I'd been looking for a used one for awhile and for an essentially new chair for $350 I thought it was a good deal. He has a few left as of yesterday.

I have tried this, an Aeron, and a Mirra and like the Lleap a lot more than the others. The Mirra was nice when sitting up but when reclined the hard back hurt a bit and I've never been able to find a used Aeron that isn't like 10 years old at this point.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
Any of you with the higher end chairs play video games all day in them? Are you able to stay comfortable the whole time? Thinking about redoing my computer workstation area and a new chair is definitely needed since I'm using a officemax chair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Etrips posted:

Any of you with the higher end chairs play video games all day in them? Are you able to stay comfortable the whole time? Thinking about redoing my computer workstation area and a new chair is definitely needed since I'm using a officemax chair.

Before I bought my Leap(it still hasn't arrived yet :qq:) I read reviews of it on various sites and plenty of people who use them all day for office work and only get up to use the restroom or maybe for a lunch break say that they feel comfortable in them all day long, including plenty of 8-hour plus sits. If your gonna buy something from Steelcase now it the time to do so with the 15% off sale on their site, a Leap is only $781 right now, well worth the price if you can afford it.