Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

VLADIMIR GLUTEN posted:

if you're going to treat yourself to something bad for you and you go to mcdonalds then you're a basic bitch

everybody is basic at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Beast of Bourbon posted:

most of us hit up the mcd's in munich last week
I hope it was 2am because there's good-rear end food in munich

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Thesoro posted:

"shake shack?!" yospos burgs in the door and just keeps burging, sliding off around the room, bouncing against walls. it burgs against your toilet, busting it up big time. you get the feeling it's trying to say something to you but it's burging at such a high velocity you just can’t quite make it out. as it finally nails a window and falls out you think you hear it exclaim "five guys is overrated, that’s what’s so CRAZY about this" on the way down

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
earlier i was thinking "drat which thread was it what had the hilarious shake shack post" and come to find out IT'S THE SAME THREAD

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

you people are literally dumb as loving hell and my "acceptable santee 2015" list is shrinking like a gamer at a feminism convention

stop arguing with tayne about mcdonalds

most of them are agreeing with me, actually.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

shake shack had their ipo on friday and today they're down 12%

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

qirex posted:

shake shack had their ipo on friday and today they're down 12%

someone itt pointed out that the ipo was purely a cash grab and had no capital-raising function at all

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

someone itt pointed out that the ipo was purely a cash grab and had no capital-raising function at all

yeah that was me

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

It's a burger joint that sells beer as well. That's the gimmick.

So it's basically a French McDonald's.

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
my mcdouble today had meat, ketchup (tomato), cheese and bread. that's all the components of something delicious, idk what ur all on about really.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I had a delicious freshly cooked piece of chicken fried chicken with lumpy skin-on mashed potatoes, mushroom gravy and a beer that was brewed 3 blocks from here

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014

Jonny 290 posted:

I had a delicious freshly cooked piece of chicken fried chicken with lumpy skin-on mashed potatoes, mushroom gravy and a beer that was brewed 3 blocks from here

seems like you were lacking both cheese and tomato though. shameful.

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
left over pork belly from the super bowl. was delciious

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Jonny 290 posted:

you people are literally dumb as loving hell and my "acceptable santee 2015" list is shrinking like a gamer at a feminism convention

stop arguing with tayne about mcdonalds

want me to get you a happy meal?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

triple sulk posted:

It's a burger joint that sells beer as well. That's the gimmick.

So it's basically a French McDonald's.

all fast food joints should serve beer

it should be mandatory

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

hey, how come anti-smoking campaigns never touch cigars, every smoker i know thinks they're healthier for you since you don't inhale

Apr 7, 2003

Forums Terrorist posted:

hey, how come anti-smoking campaigns never touch cigars, every smoker i know thinks they're healthier for you since you don't inhale

Anti-smoking campaigns are actually anti-poor campaigns.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

that's what i figured since it's the case for almost every anti-whatever campaign in the us

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
ugh i went to go find some other examples of startups exploiting the poor and now i'm just really really mad. didn't find a lot of instances of them outright robbing the poor directly, but tons of them waving around poor people as a lure to get dumb white people to buy garbage with the promise that some percentage will be donated to charity

not that there hasn't been some downright vile poo poo dedicated to taking poor people's money. take for example, the soocket, a soccer ball which generates electricity as it's being kicked around and stores it in an internal battery so that it can power a tiny led light. philanthropists and investors and the press loved it, and they've convinced charities to buy tens of thousands of them to hand out to poor families all over the world. except that it costs $60 (making it "the most expensive six-watt lamp on the market"), it has to be kicked around for at least thirty minutes in order to power a six-watt LED light for a couple of hours, poor production quality means that something like 30 percent of them break within a month or two, and a solar/battery lamp costs $10 and doesn't need to be kicked around for half an hour to work

gonna go ahead and quote the Boston Globe here because holy poo poo

quote:

The Soccket also has an adapter plug to charge an iPhone4. Conceivably, a 30-minute pickup game in the African bush could be the ticket to an Internet hookup via smartphone. A connection to the Whiner Line or “Toucher and Rich” in places no one ever imagined. Such miracles.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

dehumanize and face to bloodshed

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Such miracles...

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

all fast food joints should serve beer

it should be mandatory

chipotle does but they're the only national chain i know of that does

jack in the box had this experimental store near where i lived in ~2005 that sold beer and was upscale

computer parts fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Feb 2, 2015

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Main Paineframe posted:

Such miracles...

Put a top champions league team(or liverpool) on it and charge $100.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

taskrabbit, uber, the one that does housecleaning whose name I can't remember are probably the most directly expoitative

there's also the people who do mechanical turk-level stuff like content filtering who are all contractors and get paid poo poo

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

qirex posted:

taskrabbit, uber, the one that does housecleaning whose name I can't remember are probably the most directly expoitative

there's also the people who do mechanical turk-level stuff like content filtering who are all contractors and get paid poo poo

Handy

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

triple sulk posted:

dehumanize and face to bloodshed

what's going on here?

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Forums Terrorist posted:

what's going on here?

https://twitter.com/artem_zin/status/562258609569296384

Apr 7, 2003

Forums Terrorist posted:

what's going on here?

That's me at my posting rig

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
app store ratings factory, according to twitters

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

welp, looks like zombie battery retailer rat shack might finally die

quote:

Troubled electronics retailer RadioShack Corp is preparing to shut down the chain in a bankruptcy deal that would see half the stores taken over by Sprint Corp, Bloomberg News reported, citing people with knowledge of the discussions.

The rest of the stores would close down, Bloomberg said. (bloom.bg/16aNrZw)

Sprint and RadioShack have also had talks about co-branding the stores, Bloomberg reported, citing two anonymous sources.

Another bidder could yet emerge to buy RadioShack and continue operating the 94-year-old chain, Bloomberg said.

The Wall Street Journal reported on Sunday that Standard General, a hedge fund and the largest investor in RadioShack, was in talks to serve as the lead bidder at a bankruptcy auction.

RadioShack declined to comment on the Bloomberg report and said it had not confirmed any of the information.

Sprint declined to comment.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
playpump was an idea to replace hand-operated water pumps in africa with spinny playground equipment, with the idea that they would siphon off the kinetic energy from kids playing on them to operate the water pump. charities and aid organizations loved it and tens of millions of dollars were spent on building them all over africa

except each one cost $14,000, the pump didn't deliver enough water even when kids were playing on it, tons of them broke down and the company was slow to fix them and refused to pay for replacing broken ones, and it turned out kids didn't like them all that much so adults ended up having to play on them since there was no manual pump option

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
lmao sprint

of course

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Main Paineframe posted:

no manual pump option

jfc

crusader_complex
Jun 4, 2012
youre a classist, if you dont shop at radio shack

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

VLADIMIR GLUTEN posted:

it is for the 99% of americans who are at risk of hypertension

nope

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

theflyingexecutive posted:

bringing this full circle, if you went to burning man last year, it was as much burning man as woodstock 99 was woodstock

i'm the grover norquist

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I wonder what uber & lyft will do if they lose that "treating employees like independent contractors" case because it's pretty much their whole business model, uber has infinity lawyer dollars available but if they get a cease and desist in the meantime they'd be kind of hosed

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

qirex posted:

I wonder what uber & lyft will do if they lose that "treating employees like independent contractors" case because it's pretty much their whole business model, uber has infinity lawyer dollars available but if they get a cease and desist in the meantime they'd be kind of hosed

they'll just keep on trucking until the government wises up and sees things their way

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

our friend Greg Gopman, the start-up guy who once called homeless folks "hyenas" and now wants to hold a town hall to see what can be done about/for them.
Gopman, the Chron's Heather Knight reports, claimed that he had a big talk with Lee about his homeless concerns. The mayor's people, however, said that wasn't so.
“We took a walk on Mid-Market together and spoke on things...He explained to me that helping the homeless was always one of his big goals before he got into office and something he regrets he hasn’t been able to do more with,” Knight quotes Gopman as saying.
However, according to Lee spokesperson Christine Falvey, "Lee was taking a merchant walk on Mid-Market when Gopman spotted him from afar and approached to exchange greetings. That was it," Knight says.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

qirex posted:

revert to only employing their best performing uber black drivers, this time as actual employees, claim that uberx was just a testing phase that they're done with.

• Locked thread