Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
A friend of mine who is fairly new to the hobby loves watching Dice Tower reviews and always ends up buying lovely games. I'm fairly certain there is a correlation there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Remember not to comment on any article unless it is explicitly asked of you. Since no question was asked in the post, there's no point in a comments thread.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Vasel and co fill the very important niche of "person talking about thing I like." Like, that's it; They're completely inoffensive (if your standard is already "weird gross dudes," which it is for a lot of corners of this hobby) and talk about a thing - sometimes a new thing! - relevant to your interest. It's the same reason people listen to most podcasts.

They're still lovely at it though, they just have huge amounts of content.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Gimnbo posted:

Remember not to comment on any article unless it is explicitly asked of you.
I did laugh at that, I must admit.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Tekopo posted:

It was really funny, and completely bizarre.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

Tekopo posted:

It's funny till you realize that the original guy who said it was being serious.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Then it's very, very funny.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Countblanc posted:

Vasel and co fill the very important niche of "person talking about thing I like." Like, that's it; They're completely inoffensive (if your standard is already "weird gross dudes," which it is for a lot of corners of this hobby) and talk about a thing - sometimes a new thing! - relevant to your interest. It's the same reason people listen to most podcasts.

I get that, but the thing is, I don't think they are that spectacular at filling that niche? Joel Eddy of Drive Thru review is much better at the "kind of weird dude talks about games for other weird dudes to watch" niche but I've never heard of anyone mention him while Vasel is advertised as "the patron saint of boardgaming reviews". Rahdo also fills this niche. There are several podcasts that fit the bill, too.

The other aspect to this is that it's about the lowest signal to noise ratio possible for content; I would rather skim Matt Barnes rambling about the latest in ameritrash theory and at least get it over with in a half hour, than watch one insufferable 45 minute long top ten video that has about 1/100th of the content in that time. I guess I'm getting mad about what people do with their own time, which is dumb, so maybe I should just relax.

It's not overly offensive or anything, and it should still exist for people who like it, it's just slightly frustrating that it's commonly held up as the gold standard for boardgaming media by much of the community. It's fast food

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

fozzy fosbourne posted:

It's fast food

The scent of your local game store.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
I wish Vasel was fast food because then at last he'd be out of my rear end in 30 minutes.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I watched one of the Dice Tower "Top 10" videos where it's the 3 neckbeards who each made their own top 10 list and they couldn't even really agree on what the topic meant (Top 10 games for 7 players, does that mean games where 7 can play even if other numbers are more ideal? Games where 7 is best? Something else? Who cares, vomit out your list of poo poo anyway!)

disperse
Oct 28, 2010

Avalon Hill recieved a letter from a scientist with a PhD (who was also an Avalon Hill fan) complaining he couldn't understand the rules.

Zombie #246 posted:

I've been considering doing magic realm for my next print and play project but I still have yet to learn most of the game. People have compared it to Mage knight, how fair of a comparison is that? What are some of the criticisms you have of the game? What are the high points of the game?

I've been meaning to ask for a while because I keep noticing your avatar but I kept forgetting.

Magic Realm was made in the 70s by the wargame company Avalon Hill so it predates all modern game design improvements.

Mage Knight was made with a nod to Magic Realm but that's about all, the mechanics are all taken from modern game design.

Pros:
  • The modular hex board with paths that change when tiles are enchanted has never been done better
  • Alliances, treachery, and player vs. player conflict are all supported and encouraged
  • The asymmetry in character power and roles naturally leads to weaker characters joining up against more powerful characters
  • The victory point system allows characters to play the game in many different ways
  • All players write moves simultaneously which, theoretically means that large games are feasible
  • It supports up to 16 players

Cons:
  • Certain strategies (killing off native groups) are too strong
  • There are a handful of useful spells with the rest never being used in competitive play
  • Large combats can take a long time; uninvolved players might as well take a break and return later
  • The rules are complex and, for a while, you'll run into situations every game where you need to dig through the rules

I have been playing since I was a kid so I have to admit my love of Magic Realm is influenced by nostalgia. That said, I appreciate the game for its own merits and playing a game with other experienced players is a joy.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Impermanent posted:

Man I should just have listed all the games I own because I have a biweekly Mage Knight group and that game is A+ in my book. (Also I played in the 1st thread hosted by our most gracious game master Tekopo.)

I just got the Lost Legion expansion for Mage Knight so now with Krang I have the whole set (I wish there was more :( ). There are so many scenarios and variations to Mage Knight in the book and the game kind of encourages you to house rule a bit, so how does everyone else play?

I just got General Volkare so I always include him in the mix and do the Volkares Quest or just substitute him for a 5th city randomly. I also usually play with most of the optional rules in the back. Gives a bit more of a "Heroes of Might and Magic" feel to it and the cumulative bonuses for a variety of spaces make for interesting strategic long term choices:
-Rampage: At the end of each day/night roll to see if defeated rampaging enemies return
-Mines Liberation: Mines start with a green&brown monster guarding them. When conquered mark them, they produce +1 gem every day/night and are worth 4 Fame
-Druid Nights: Mark Magic Glades you end your turn on. You may at night remove all your markers to fight that many Brown tokens simultaneously. You gain double Fame for each one you defeat and one random crystal for each one summoned
-Dungeon Lords: Every time you turn over a village place a face down Brown token on an adjacent space of your choice, this space is now a dungeon. When you reveal a Monastery do the same thing except with a Red token, this space is now a Tomb. Conquered Tombs/Dungeons count as adjacent to each other for the purposes of movement.
-Mage Towers: When you are on or adjacent to a controlled Mage Tower at the start of your turn you gain one gold (during the day) or one black (during the night) mana for each Mage Tower you control.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Alright which one of you weirdos Godwin'd the SU&SD thread?

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
We effectively play Mage Knight with the PvP combat rules off, but we may consider changing that. For competitive play, I wouldn't be surprised if we started implementing some of the "screw the leader" options for dealing with whenever someone is able to pull ahead very early.

I wouldn't mind playing with magic glades on in order to offer more options to players that get screwed over by movement. That Mage Tower house rule though seems like it would be very easy to pull all the spells someone would want out of a single mage tower.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Impermanent posted:

We effectively play Mage Knight with the PvP combat rules off, but we may consider changing that. For competitive play, I wouldn't be surprised if we started implementing some of the "screw the leader" options for dealing with whenever someone is able to pull ahead very early.

I wouldn't mind playing with magic glades on in order to offer more options to players that get screwed over by movement. That Mage Tower house rule though seems like it would be very easy to pull all the spells someone would want out of a single mage tower.

Oh I forgot to add: you don't get a free spell when conquering Mage Towers to compensate for the fact the learning spells is much easier during the day. It's from the "Hold and Conquer" variant in the back the the rulebook. Makes it more interesting to conquer a lot of Mage Towers as a strategy beyond accumulating spells.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
Somehow during the little conquest we didn't pull any mage tower tiles. We'll probably look at the boards next time to make sure we don't omit one when we do the set up.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Countblanc posted:

Isn't the Dice Tower just a massive scam wherein Vasel and Co. get games for free from idiotic clever publishers?

I mean, more power to him if so. If I could hatch a scheme where I get review copies of a game for free, I would seriously do it. But he got there first, so :smith:

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

LuiCypher posted:

Isn't the Dice Tower just a massive scam wherein Vasel and Co. get games for free from idiotic clever publishers?

I mean, more power to him if so. If I could hatch a scheme where I get review copies of a game for free, I would seriously do it. But he got there first, so :smith:

Take every opportunity to play a new game you can, from trash games like Exploding Kitten to Euro games, to Amerithrash, whatever you can. Immediately after playing a game and putting it up, record yourself talking about the game after dumping the pieces on a table. There, you can join the elite pantheon of board game reviewers.

edit-It is mandatory you do no prep or practice for your review. Make sure it is entirely off-the-cuff, with no rehearsal behind it whatsoever.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

LuiCypher posted:

Maybe? I've never seen any evidence suggesting that (or not suggesting it), but it could be. I remember hearing that Vasel is a part of the quiverfull poo poo so anything is possible.

Don't interpret my comment as defending either the quality or potential motivations of Vasel, I'm strictly talking about why people continue to watch him. He's been around so long and is almost definitely going to be the first hit on youtube if you search "[game name] review" so people are just sorta used to him now. I know people who go to weekly board game meetings who have never even heard of SU&SD which I had assumed wasn't really an underground thing in board games these days, who are more than happy to post Vasel videos on the group's facebook page when a new game comes out. It's just "guy talks about thing," and people like hearing familiar voices talk about stuff they like.

EBag
May 18, 2006

Madmarker posted:

Take every opportunity to play a new game you can, from trash games like Exploding Kitten to Euro games, to Amerithrash, whatever you can. Immediately after playing a game and putting it up, record yourself talking about the game after dumping the pieces on a table. There, you can join the elite pantheon of board game reviewers.

edit-It is mandatory you do no prep or practice for your review. Make sure it is entirely off-the-cuff, with no rehearsal behind it whatsoever.

And don't forget to make up inane top 10 lists every few days where you can cleverly recycle your top 50 games in new and exciting ways.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

EBag posted:

And don't forget to make up inane top 10 lists every few days where you can cleverly recycle your top 50 games in new and exciting ways.

How could I forget about the inane Top 10 Lists....

I'll give you your first list topic Top Ten Dog Games, these are Boardgames where a major component or mechanic involves canines.

Make sure to spend over an hour on the video for this list, and not to actually write the list down anywhere so that people will watch your video

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

But don't you want to know the top 10 cards of Thunderstone Advance?

edit: We're getting kind of negative here, so have a video that shows the power of attractive people, video production, and a camera that was produced in this century.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T86J05Ho2w0

Gimnbo fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Feb 2, 2015

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Madmarker posted:

How could I forget about the inane Top 10 Lists....

I'll give you your first list topic Top Ten Dog Games, these are Boardgames where a major component or mechanic involves canines.

Make sure to spend over an hour on the video for this list, and not to actually write the list down anywhere so that people will watch your video

And somehow Cosmic Encounter will end up at #1, every time, despite having little to do with dogs. Ah, what do I know, there's probably a dog race in there somewhere.

Countblanc posted:

Don't interpret my comment as defending either the quality or potential motivations of Vasel, I'm strictly talking about why people continue to watch him. He's been around so long and is almost definitely going to be the first hit on youtube if you search "[game name] review" so people are just sorta used to him now. I know people who go to weekly board game meetings who have never even heard of SU&SD which I had assumed wasn't really an underground thing in board games these days, who are more than happy to post Vasel videos on the group's facebook page when a new game comes out. It's just "guy talks about thing," and people like hearing familiar voices talk about stuff they like.

Definitely not trying to criticize you (though I did quote your post, so that is an incredibly logical assumption that I can't fault you for), but I'm sure there was a point in time where what Vasel was doing was indeed good for boardgaming and the hobby before it became really mainstream. But now that it is becoming mainstream, I think there are a lot of people out there that are just flat-out doing a way better job and the fact that the Dice Tower has sort of hobbled along over the years with the same old format, the same old people, the same old inane Top 10 lists, and the same old [insert tired reference here] speaks more to the fact that I think Vasel is just doing it for the free games now instead of any sort of grand ideology. At that point, I think he slides on into being irrelevant at best and harmful at worst to the hobby. He's irrelevant in the fact that he more or less hasn't updated his show in years and people are starting to become much more discerning now beyond the point of "it's just FUN" and looking for a more meaningful review. The way Vasel reviews games is completely milquetoast and doesn't really tell me anything significant about the game.

As for being harmful, I think the comment thread on SU&SD does a better job of criticizing him. I think he's going to run the risk of projecting an image and attracting a fanbase of more cat-piss elements (but not toxic - Pundit and Zak S. have laid claim to that lovely territory with its well full of piss) to the community, but so far I think boardgamers as a whole are pretty OK folk so that's probably just a personal worry of mine.

Kasonic
Mar 6, 2007

Tenth Street Reds, representing
I own quite a few games but I'd like to buy Carcassone, something I have no experience with. I need a new game that I can play with non-gamers. Problem is I'm not sure where to start.

I see two Editions on Amazon, one "New" edition that's FAR cheaper but the tileset doesn't seem to match the dozens(!) of expansions. What's the best version, and where should I start when it comes to the vast add-on selection?

Kasonic fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Feb 2, 2015

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

LuiCypher posted:

And somehow Cosmic Encounter will end up at #1, every time, despite having little to do with dogs. Ah, what do I know, there's probably a dog race in there somewhere.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

He occasionally shows off his briar patch of man cleavage in the videos. I think the world is better off for it tbh

E:Meant for other thread but keeping here because why the hell not

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
For positivity here's Bottom Shelf Board Games, which could use a signal boost.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htW1WRmN_1Y

Enjoy beautifully shot board game tables with concise reviews and descriptions.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

LuiCypher posted:

Definitely not trying to criticize you (though I did quote your post, so that is an incredibly logical assumption that I can't fault you for), but I'm sure there was a point in time where what Vasel was doing was indeed good for boardgaming and the hobby before it became really mainstream. But now that it is becoming mainstream, I think there are a lot of people out there that are just flat-out doing a way better job and the fact that the Dice Tower has sort of hobbled along over the years with the same old format, the same old people, the same old inane Top 10 lists, and the same old [insert tired reference here] speaks more to the fact that I think Vasel is just doing it for the free games now instead of any sort of grand ideology. At that point, I think he slides on into being irrelevant at best and harmful at worst to the hobby. He's irrelevant in the fact that he more or less hasn't updated his show in years and people are starting to become much more discerning now beyond the point of "it's just FUN" and looking for a more meaningful review. The way Vasel reviews games is completely milquetoast and doesn't really tell me anything significant about the game.

As for being harmful, I think the comment thread on SU&SD does a better job of criticizing him. I think he's going to run the risk of projecting an image and attracting a fanbase of more cat-piss elements (but not toxic - Pundit and Zak S. have laid claim to that lovely territory with its well full of piss) to the community, but so far I think boardgamers as a whole are pretty OK folk so that's probably just a personal worry of mine.

There's a another discussion on the SU&SD post talking about how Catan is a gateway game that time and design have left behind, and I think it's pretty fitting to call Vasel the Settlers of Catan of board game reviewers.

Gimnbo fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Feb 2, 2015

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

Kasonic posted:

I own quite a few games but I'd like to buy Carcassone, something I have no experience with. A need a new game that I can play with non-gamers. Problem is I'm not sure where to start.

I see two Editions on Amazon, one "New" edition that's FAR cheaper but the tileset doesn't seem to match the dozens(!) of expansions. What's the best version, and where should I start when it comes to the vast add-on selection?

As far as expansions go, Inns & Cathedrals is pretty much considered an integral part of a base game. Traders & Builders is also regarded highly. You can get one or both of these before even bothering with the base game on it's own. The other expansions range from "spicing the game up for fans" to "really dumb. Don't bother with them until you know you desire them for one reason or another. As for the new tilesets, just check if the two expansions I named are compatible with it, you'll never need anything more to play with the grandma or whoever.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Man, I want UvulaBob to come back now :(

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

chemosh6969 fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Feb 2, 2015

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Impermanent posted:

For positivity here's Bottom Shelf Board Games, which could use a signal boost.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htW1WRmN_1Y

Enjoy beautifully shot board game tables with concise reviews and descriptions.

I was literally just wondering if there was a series of well-produced review videos that ran under 5 minutes.

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!

LuiCypher posted:

people are starting to become much more discerning

Hahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

LuiCypher posted:

people are starting to become much more discerning now

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/elanlee/exploding-kittens

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

That is indeed one hell of a $5.1 million and counting refutation of my argument.

I'm glad that was the go-to instead of Kingdom Death, though.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Is there any silver lining spin to exploding kittens? Is it possible that it brings any new people into the fold? My sunny disposition and awesome attitude makes we want to believe but I actually think "nope". Feels like the freemium of nerd games

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Is there any silver lining spin to exploding kittens? Is it possible that it brings any new people into the fold? My sunny disposition and awesome attitude makes we want to believe but I actually think "nope". Feels like the freemium of nerd games
It's something your friends will break out instead of Munchkin?

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Nah if anything it will serve to get people to believe that games should be based around the intangible concept of "Fun" and that random luck games are the center of game design.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Poison Mushroom posted:

It's something your friends will break out instead of Munchkin?

It's the thing you'll have to suffer through at a birthday party instead of Cards Against Humanity, and your only consolation is that there are effectively infinite tacos available to fill the void where gameplay used to be.

e: Based on a true story