Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Is there any silver lining spin to exploding kittens? Is it possible that it brings any new people into the fold? My sunny disposition and awesome attitude makes we want to believe but I actually think "nope". Feels like the freemium of nerd games

Most people in this thread started playing board games with Munchkin and Settlers. Everyone has to start somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

deadly_pudding posted:

It's the thing you'll have to suffer through at a birthday party instead of Cards Against Humanity, and your only consolation is that there are effectively infinite tacos available to fill the void where gameplay used to be is player elimination so you can bail out by playing "badly".

e: Based on a true story

FTFY

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Impermanent posted:

We effectively play Mage Knight with the PvP combat rules off, but we may consider changing that. For competitive play, I wouldn't be surprised if we started implementing some of the "screw the leader" options for dealing with whenever someone is able to pull ahead very early.

I wouldn't mind playing with magic glades on in order to offer more options to players that get screwed over by movement. That Mage Tower house rule though seems like it would be very easy to pull all the spells someone would want out of a single mage tower.
The answer to the problems of Mage Knight's competitive play is to play co-op. Co-op Knight best Knight.

Tekopo posted:

Man, I want UvulaBob to come back now :(
Goddamnit me too. Of all the youtubers his reviews are still the most engaging and make the best use of the format.

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

You know what freaks me out about Vasel and the annoying fat(ter) ADD guy is? They seem really creepily christian, this creeps me out so much as someone from a almost completely secular nation.

Like that Sam dude talks about never having played and never going to play a warlock class in one game because it's apparently unchristian.

Or him or Vasel (I forget) saying that he considers "shut up" to be a swear word he and his kids don't use. Also Vasels kids being homeschooled.

Sam just feels like a huge duchebag lipservice christian RAWH RAWH wearing "funny" christian t-shirts.

As a previous poster said though, I like checking out review for games when I'm at work or otherwise bored, and dice tower has pretty much everything.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Is there any silver lining spin to exploding kittens? Is it possible that it brings any new people into the fold? My sunny disposition and awesome attitude makes we want to believe but I actually think "nope". Feels like the freemium of nerd games

It's entirely possible but there are people out there that get hung up on games like this for long term, and have to be sort of forcibly introduced to better games lest they stick with munchkins/flux/kittens in a blender etc.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

admanb posted:

Most people in this thread started playing board games with Munchkin and Settlers. Everyone has to start somewhere.

That's not very fair to Settlers

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I started with Tactics II :colbert:

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Sistergodiva posted:

You know what freaks me out about Vasel and the annoying fat(ter) ADD guy is? They seem really creepily christian, this creeps me out so much as someone from a almost completely secular nation.

Like that Sam dude talks about never having played and never going to play a warlock class in one game because it's apparently unchristian.

Or him or Vasel (I forget) saying that he considers "shut up" to be a swear word he and his kids don't use. Also Vasels kids being homeschooled.

Sam just feels like a huge duchebag lipservice christian RAWH RAWH wearing "funny" christian t-shirts.

As a previous poster said though, I like checking out review for games when I'm at work or otherwise bored, and dice tower has pretty much everything.

I live in the American South, and thats just something I'm used to. I've played DND with people who wouldn't play a Magic-using class because Sorcery is ungodly. I've seen all the "funny" Christian shirts constantly. Heck I know full grown adults who still refuse to say "shut up" or "that sucks" because they are swear words. I don't think its creepy, just really, really, really dumb. If I wasn't inundated in it, I am pretty sure I would find it creepier than I do, but I'm just so used to that nonsense I barely noticed.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
The best thing about the south is the stories you have to tell people about it after you've escaped.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Sloober posted:

It's entirely possible but there are people out there that get hung up on games like this for long term, and have to be sort of forcibly introduced to better games lest they stick with munchkins/flux/kittens in a blender etc.

Those same people would've had to be forcibly introduced to better games regardless. Kittens isn't going to make anyone more stubborn.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Impermanent posted:

The best thing about the south is the stories you have to tell people about it after you've escaped.

gently caress Georgia

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I've never found Zee (the other guy in the top 10s) all that offensive, he's better than Vasel or Sam at explaining why he likes something.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Impermanent posted:

No the best part of the South, at least my corner of the South, is Cheerwine, Pulled Pork Barbecue (Vinegar Base), and Baptist churches selling Brunswick Stew.

I say this as a liberal Atheist, but dear God, Brunswick Stew almost makes the hyper-Christians worthwhile.

Echophonic posted:

I've never found Zee (the other guy in the top 10s) all that offensive, he's better than Vasel or Sam at explaining why he likes something.

I'll agree with you here. I still don't think he is all that good at it, but he is a far sight better than Vasel and both Vasel and Zee are much easier to tolerate than the Hyper-Christian, Uber-Grognard Stereotype given flesh that is Sam.

Madmarker fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Feb 2, 2015

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

fozzy fosbourne posted:

That's not very fair to Settlers

I'm not saying all those games are equal, I'm just saying that people don't have to be introduced to boardgaming with a top 10 game in order to become serious boardgamers.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Echophonic posted:

Zee likes the most obscure games that I have never heard of. His opinion is usually the only one worth listening to just for how odd it is.

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

Rutibex posted:

Zee likes the most obscure games that I have never heard of. His opinion is usually the only one worth listening to just for how odd it is.

I agree that he's the most tolerable and sympathetic.

Speaking about down south, I'm acutally going to the US on a few days, and since everything is much cheaper compared to home, any games that would be good to pick up? I'm thinking stuff that's small and would fit in my luggage without much trouble.

I was thinking about maybe getting dominion and ditching it's box, though I guess the insert is pretty nice for the different decks.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

fozzy fosbourne posted:

I think part of the magic of board games is that, like Quinns said in a lecture he gave at a game con a few years back, they bring you together with people you love (as a friend, lover, family member, whatever) and actually gets you to engage them instead of just doing something around them like watching movies or TV. It even does this without the wonders of booze, which I think is also pretty cool - I say that as someone who drinks more than he should. Exploding Kittens, Munchkin, Fluxx, and all those other games have this just as much as Galaxy Trucker, Caylus, Imperial Assault, Resistance, and Tragedy Looper. In the (distant) past I've invited friends over just to play Munchkin for HOURS, and it was a nice social time where no one felt pressured to drink and everyone talked about their lives while playing a game. I wouldn't trade those memories for anything, especially since most of them involved a friend who had a falling out with the rest of us and I'll probably never see him again. I'm sure plenty of people will have similar experiences with the gross cat thing, and I think that's wonderful.

But do I think Exploding Kittens will mean anything for us, the people in this thread? Will it do anything for game design, or bring new minds into the scene with new ideas? Do I expect it to excite otherwise bashful designers or people who couldn't afford to put life on hold to put up kickstarters or indiegogos, seeing the board game industry as a viable financial decision and not something they had to exclusively do as a hobby that might make them a few bucks? Almost certainly not, not in any meaningful sense or quantity at least. I've said it before but there's a ton of people at my weekly and monthly gatherings who are content to just play Betrayal at the whatever and Munchkin and in over a year haven't expressed any interest in playing anything else except MAYBE another similar game like Fluxx or this game I can't remember where you're trying to get party guests for a monster party or something. Cool, that's fine, they're getting that same wonderful experience I outlined in the first paragraph, but I don't for a second believe that there's going to be more than a handful of groups who backed the KS and, after playing Kitten's Game for a month, decide to hit up BGG and scope out the top 10 games or visit a hobby shop (and if they do the latter, they'll probably tell the person they liked EK and they'll instantly be pointed at the Munchkin isle because most board game shops I've been in are run by and for Magic players and the employees only have a cursory knowledge of board games).

e: I do want to add though that I think The Oatmeal guy getting money is absolutely the worst part of the whole thing. That dude is scummy as gently caress and has gone out of his way to milk a couple demographics for cash strictly using Marketing 101 tricks and has no element of love in his work whatsoever. It's the same poo poo as companies that produce F2P phone games. And gently caress anyone who shrugs their shoulders and says "lol well that's business!" or "I'm glad those nerds are losing their money anyway."

Countblanc fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Feb 2, 2015

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

admanb posted:

I'm not saying all those games are equal, I'm just saying that people don't have to be introduced to boardgaming with a top 10 game in order to become serious boardgamers.

Okay, to give the Dice Tower a tiny bit of credit, I think the Viewer's Top 100 (or at least the top 20) is an interesting place for someone to start if they have no other idea of what games are good or popular. It's built on it's an aggregate of votes where each person get 20 points and you can vote a game from 1 to 20, but cannot give a game negative votes. Maybe that methodology is flawed, but it's better than just the opinion of an individual. Of course, anyone posting here already has a better resource at their disposal.

If you're curious about the top 20 but don't want to subject yourself to the video, they are from 20 to 1:

Caverna
Descent 2
Race For The Galaxy
Robinson Crusoe
The Resistance
Android: Netrunner
The Castles of Burgundy
Love Letter
Power Grid
Cosmic Encounter
Carcassonne
Small World
Eldritch Horror
Agricola
7 Wonders
Lords of Waterdeep
Dominion
Ticket To Ride
King of Tokyo
Pandemic

Sure, there are games on here the thread hivemind hates, but many people like them, so if you had absolutely nothing else to go on, that's a reasonable place to start.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Impermanent posted:

The slaves were freed 150 years ago, bro.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

Magnetic North posted:

Okay, to give the Dice Tower a tiny bit of credit, I think the Viewer's Top 100 (or at least the top 20) is an interesting place for someone to start if they have no other idea of what games are good or popular. It's built on it's an aggregate of votes where each person get 20 points and you can vote a game from 1 to 20, but cannot give a game negative votes. Maybe that methodology is flawed, but it's better than just the opinion of an individual. Of course, anyone posting here already has a better resource at their disposal.

If you're curious about the top 20 but don't want to subject yourself to the video, they are from 20 to 1:

Caverna
Descent 2
Race For The Galaxy
Robinson Crusoe
The Resistance
Android: Netrunner
The Castles of Burgundy
Love Letter
Power Grid
Cosmic Encounter
Carcassonne
Small World
Eldritch Horror
Agricola
7 Wonders
Lords of Waterdeep
Dominion
Ticket To Ride
King of Tokyo
Pandemic

Sure, there are games on here the thread hivemind hates, but many people like them, so if you had absolutely nothing else to go on, that's a reasonable place to start.

I think that's a perfectly fine, diverse list.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.

Magnetic North posted:

It's built on it's an aggregate of votes where each person get 20 points and you can vote a game from 1 to 20, but cannot give a game negative votes. Maybe that methodology is flawed, but it's better than just the opinion of an individual. Of course, anyone posting here already has a better resource at their disposal.

The only issue I have with this poll is I have to wonder how many people voting in it even have more than 20 games to give a score to. I suspect it's a bit self-reinforcing.

Other than that it's really not a bad list for newcomers to go by.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

FISHMANPET posted:

I watched one of the Dice Tower "Top 10" videos where it's the 3 neckbeards who each made their own top 10 list and they couldn't even really agree on what the topic meant (Top 10 games for 7 players, does that mean games where 7 can play even if other numbers are more ideal? Games where 7 is best? Something else?

I actually like that aspect of it, the three of them will sometimes have interesting different approaches. A hilarious example of this was from their wargamer lists (the Top 5 lists / HAMTAG), when Greg interpreted "Top games of 2013" as "Top games you played in 2013" leading to the number one choice - Advanced Squad Leader (1985). It is also for this reason that their lists are not that useful as lists, they are only useful when you know how they approached the list and their individual comments on each. The Top 10 lists also avoid the problem of shilling, since they have no need to talk about the new hot thing in their mailbox.

Sam, Tom, and Zee have an annoying tendency to hint at their games to each other and talk about games that almost made each slot, which wastes everybody's time. Judd Vance does a lot of talking about what his current choice is not, too, but will sometimes be prodded by the others to get back on track ("What about _THIS_ game?").

I did find a negative review from Vasel: Lagoon! He explicitly said he hated the game. Like Countblanc said, I was just wanting to hear a person talking about something I liked, but he didn't really say much anyway. I've not seen that many of his reviews, but they haven't seemed in-depth enough to meet that need.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.
It's not hilarious when they don't have the same approach to their top 10 lists it's loving stupid and shows that Vassel either can't or won't control his buddies enough to have them actually create the content the title of the video advertises.

I watched one they did on the "most influential" games and Sam Healy decided this actually meant the games in which he personally first saw a particular mechanic, which is a stupid metric that IIRC he couldn't even stick to.

Zee is the most tolerable of the bunch but his tastes lean light and short so he's not too useful once you've progressed past Pandemic.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
We broke Lagoon so I have to agree with Vasel there.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
I got this Mammut game free with the Escape: Big Box KS. Is it any good? Trying to decide if it is worthy of shelf space or if it gets filed into the closet with Munchkin and my VHS game collection.

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Murr rgghhh ahhrghhh fffff

Lorini posted:

How? I was thinking of getting it.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Countblanc posted:

I think part of the magic of board games is that, like Quinns said in a lecture he gave at a game con a few years back, they bring you together with people you love (as a friend, lover, family member, whatever) and actually gets you to engage them instead of just doing something around them like watching movies or TV. It even does this without the wonders of booze, which I think is also pretty cool - I say that as someone who drinks more than he should. Exploding Kittens, Munchkin, Fluxx, and all those other games have this just as much as Galaxy Trucker, Caylus, Imperial Assault, Resistance, and Tragedy Looper. In the (distant) past I've invited friends over just to play Munchkin for HOURS, and it was a nice social time where no one felt pressured to drink and everyone talked about their lives while playing a game. I wouldn't trade those memories for anything, especially since most of them involved a friend who had a falling out with the rest of us and I'll probably never see him again. I'm sure plenty of people will have similar experiences with the gross cat thing, and I think that's wonderful.

But do I think Exploding Kittens will mean anything for us, the people in this thread? Will it do anything for game design, or bring new minds into the scene with new ideas? Do I expect it to excite otherwise bashful designers or people who couldn't afford to put life on hold to put up kickstarters or indiegogos, seeing the board game industry as a viable financial decision and not something they had to exclusively do as a hobby that might make them a few bucks? Almost certainly not, not in any meaningful sense or quantity at least. I've said it before but there's a ton of people at my weekly and monthly gatherings who are content to just play Betrayal at the whatever and Munchkin and in over a year haven't expressed any interest in playing anything else except MAYBE another similar game like Fluxx or this game I can't remember where you're trying to get party guests for a monster party or something. Cool, that's fine, they're getting that same wonderful experience I outlined in the first paragraph, but I don't for a second believe that there's going to be more than a handful of groups who backed the KS and, after playing Kitten's Game for a month, decide to hit up BGG and scope out the top 10 games or visit a hobby shop (and if they do the latter, they'll probably tell the person they liked EK and they'll instantly be pointed at the Munchkin isle because most board game shops I've been in are run by and for Magic players and the employees only have a cursory knowledge of board games).

e: I do want to add though that I think The Oatmeal guy getting money is absolutely the worst part of the whole thing. That dude is scummy as gently caress and has gone out of his way to milk a couple demographics for cash strictly using Marketing 101 tricks and has no element of love in his work whatsoever. It's the same poo poo as companies that produce F2P phone games. And gently caress anyone who shrugs their shoulders and says "lol well that's business!" or "I'm glad those nerds are losing their money anyway."

Yeah, makes sense. I was thinking about this recently, sometimes we are down on games that might as well be the equivalent of 3-4 people just getting together in person and playing the equivalent of a rogue-like*. Sure, there's random chance and bullshit, but occasionally something emerges from it that's interesting and it's something to do while hanging out and socializing. So in the same spirit as saying that reading ANY novel is better than nothing, the idea of young geek padawans playing this card game as opposed to playing Puzzles and Dragons or something is probably a good optimistic spin on this.

But since you brought up Quinn, this reminded me of one of the early podcasts where he explained his distaste for Munchkin having to do with the fact that it's not inclusive because it identifies so strongly with (dated) geek culture. To be able to appreciate Munchkin at all, you have to get these 80's and 90's D&D tropes. If you don't, then you might get the impression that board games are unapproachable insular geek feedback loops or something. I wonder if some of that can be said with regards to Exploding Kittens, since it's so god drat internet meme 2000s. Munchkin and Exploding Kittens might go a bit further beyond something to simply play together because they are so .. cultural? Does that make sense?

The other part that's probably me being paranoid is a fear that the kickstarter/zombies/monkeycheese/miniatures code gets cracked in the same way that mobile gaming did and it turns into some gold rush.

*King of Dragon Pass, the board game, would probably be p sweet

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I think the difference between Exploding Kittens and Munchkin in terms of cultural relevancy is that "imgur and reddit poo poo" is basically loving synonymous with youth right now. Like, you could walk up to a wide variety of teens or college students and just say "SCIENCE For the win!" and expect them to laugh. That sounded a bit more derogatory than I meant it to, lord knows I loved plenty of dumb stuff (and continue to love dumb stuff), but my point was that Munchkin's D&D tropes and in-jokes are a lot more esoteric than EK's stuff. I mean, The Oatmeal was literally designed to be as meme-able as possible, it absolutely would not work as a product if it didn't have incredibly broad appeal (or a wealthy enough demographic, which young white people can definitely be but in EK's "defense," it's like $20 for the game so it's definitely quantity over quality here).

EK isn't aiming at the Munchkin crowd and it was honestly my bad for insinuating it was. Munchkin lifers are probably going to love it, but it's definitely trying to cash in on people who play Cards Against Humanity more than anything else, and that's a huge demographic.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Yeah, good point. Although, one could argue that EK is still going to exclude more people who don't "get it" than something like say Catan.

EK has made me appreciate Catan more than ever, in a roundabout way. I guess you either die a hero or live long enough to become the villain.

*me, quoting a god drat batman movie and talking about nerd culture*
*nervous Vasel-like giggles*

Related to playing cards with your best friends and becoming drunk on board games/high on life, One Night Ultimate Werewolf and the Daybreak expansion are shipping direct from Bezier games right now.

edit: BGG has a survey regarding their proposed site redesign: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/boardgamegeek

fozzy fosbourne fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Feb 3, 2015

Ayn Randi
Mar 12, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Lorini posted:

Did he actually have any actual criticisms of the broken bits? Out of the videos of his I've seen, the odd time when he doesn't gush about a game being fun because reasons and has something negative to say, the criticisms have been some of the weirdest poo poo I've heard from a reviewer. Like "Tash-Kalar has monsters being summoned by mages on the box but is actually an abstract so it's bad" or "dungeon lords is bad because its not a dungeon game, if its not a dungeon crawler dont put dungeon in the title". Like the way he critiques things makes me feel like he knows literally nothing about the games he reviews before upending the cardboard on the table and his weird expectations are conflicting with the reality of a given game. I've been kinda interested in lagoon from the random discussion in the thread (admittedly not interested enough to go and search it out on my own) but if it's actually mechanically breakable in a few acres of snow way that probably kills it for me

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

So what happened to Paul on SU&SD? Did he quit/get booted/etc?

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Seems like he decided to go travelling from his Instagram

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
After reading the last couple pages I'm getting more and more surprised I have never heard, seen or read about munchkin (besides its RPG connotations) before coming to this thread.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Crackbone posted:

So what happened to Paul on SU&SD? Did he quit/get booted/etc?

He's currently lost in Vancouver, though he did say he'll appear in an upcoming video.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

It... It was the first modern board game I had ever played... :ralp:

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Just going to post this here https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3_Q4t8FduEE

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Ayn Randi posted:

Did he actually have any actual criticisms of the broken bits? Out of the videos of his I've seen, the odd time when he doesn't gush about a game being fun because reasons and has something negative to say, the criticisms have been some of the weirdest poo poo I've heard from a reviewer. Like "Tash-Kalar has monsters being summoned by mages on the box but is actually an abstract so it's bad" or "dungeon lords is bad because its not a dungeon game, if its not a dungeon crawler dont put dungeon in the title". Like the way he critiques things makes me feel like he knows literally nothing about the games he reviews before upending the cardboard on the table and his weird expectations are conflicting with the reality of a given game. I've been kinda interested in lagoon from the random discussion in the thread (admittedly not interested enough to go and search it out on my own) but if it's actually mechanically breakable in a few acres of snow way that probably kills it for me

He did not. My problem isn't that he disliked it, just pointing out that he does have negative reviews. I think he didn't like the number of options you have each turn? I'm hoping it's not fundamentally broken too but I could definitely see there being tile combinations that determine the winning energy if they show up early or something, especially in a 2-player game.

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

LuiCypher posted:

And somehow Cosmic Encounter will end up at #1, every time, despite having little to do with dogs. Ah, what do I know, there's probably a dog race in there somewhere.

Definitely not trying to criticize you (though I did quote your post, so that is an incredibly logical assumption that I can't fault you for), but I'm sure there was a point in time where what Vasel was doing was indeed good for boardgaming and the hobby before it became really mainstream. But now that it is becoming mainstream, I think there are a lot of people out there that are just flat-out doing a way better job and the fact that the Dice Tower has sort of hobbled along over the years with the same old format, the same old people, the same old inane Top 10 lists, and the same old [insert tired reference here] speaks more to the fact that I think Vasel is just doing it for the free games now instead of any sort of grand ideology. At that point, I think he slides on into being irrelevant at best and harmful at worst to the hobby. He's irrelevant in the fact that he more or less hasn't updated his show in years and people are starting to become much more discerning now beyond the point of "it's just FUN" and looking for a more meaningful review. The way Vasel reviews games is completely milquetoast and doesn't really tell me anything significant about the game.

As for being harmful, I think the comment thread on SU&SD does a better job of criticizing him. I think he's going to run the risk of projecting an image and attracting a fanbase of more cat-piss elements (but not toxic - Pundit and Zak S. have laid claim to that lovely territory with its well full of piss) to the community, but so far I think boardgamers as a whole are pretty OK folk so that's probably just a personal worry of mine.

While what you've written may in fact be true for the most part, and while Vasal is not a very indepth reviewer or strong reviewer, I simply cannot agree with your comment that he's "irrelevant" even though you so want him to be. For example:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tomvasel/the-dice-tower-2015-season-11

His recent Kickstarter which just ended. This funded for almost $180k, which is up from $135k last year and almost $70k the year before.

Whether or not you or I or anybody here likes him is not the point, the point is that he has a huge fan base, and it is growing more and more as the years pass.

Also to say that he's doing it just for the "free games" is really a stupid argument anyway. Maybe he did start off like that, but at this point companies seek him out to do reviews, he's not "begging" for games anymore. Most people who are professional reviewers (which Vasal is, like it or not) don't pay for the product they review, board games or anything else.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

That reminds me that one of my friends backed that Dice Tower Kickstarter. Said friend actually has pretty good taste in games and is always trying to get people to play Terra Mystica. So it's not like his fanbase is limited to the chronically tasteless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy

fozzy fosbourne posted:

edit: BGG has a survey regarding their proposed site redesign: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/boardgamegeek

I can't believe they put out an entire giant survey trying to get a bunch of information any decent analytics package could've told them. I'm sure the obnoxious length won't at all effect the kind of responses they get.