Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Netflix is taking on a crazy amount of debt, but they're going to have a lot of original content this year:

quote:

All told, the company this year expects to launch 320 hours of new and returning original series, as well as films, documentaries and stand-up comedy specials, which is three times the amount of original programming Netflix released in 2014, they said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
When they re-released A New Hope in theaters the first time me and a bunch of friends took a lot of mushrooms and went to see it at midnight sitting in the front row and I came away from it realizing that it's a pitch-perfect film about the 60s. Also I could understand R2-D2.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Anne Whateley posted:

To go back to the last topic we spent multiple pages on, how are the seasons of Spartacus after S1 when he dies and the whole thing changes? Still good, or should I just rewatch Rome?

Vengence, the first season after Andy died, takes a few episodes to find its footing as does Liam (the new Spartacus actor). The show finds its footing again about halfway through but Liam doesn't really get comfortable in the role until the final season (War of the Damned). It's totally worth it because the final season is bitching and amazing.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

precision posted:

When they re-released A New Hope in theaters the first time me and a bunch of friends took a lot of mushrooms and went to see it at midnight sitting in the front row and I came away from it realizing that it's a pitch-perfect film about the 60s. Also I could understand R2-D2.

You gotta respect that he's a populist by nature and not by design. Like, C-3P0 can't fathom why a robot wants to do something that isn't explicitly hardwired into its programming. The fact that he has no discernible human attributes is important. R2-D2 is more human, not by design, but by nature. When characters communicate with R2-D2, they do so out of respect, whilst the superficially more human-looking C-3P0 is spoken to as one who is respected for his service, "Artoo" is spoken to as one who is respected for his principles.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

TrixRabbi posted:

2001 has no plot, and that dialogue, jesus! Every loving line is stunted like a ROBOT is saying it.

Are you still a child? I mean i don't mind if you are but it would explain some things, thats all.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

stickyfngrdboy posted:

Are you still a child? I mean i don't mind if you are but it would explain some things, thats all.

What are you talking about. 2001 totally flubbed up the plot. I mean for example they start that side story about the little girl and the bush baby and just never explore the idea. Such wasted potential.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Ray was the spiritual leader of the Ghostbusters. There, I said it.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

Why have several pages been dedicated to arguing with one guy over his opinion on Star Wars

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Jaws is a perfect film.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

LogisticEarth posted:

What are you talking about. 2001 totally flubbed up the plot. I mean for example they start that side story about the little girl and the bush baby and just never explore the idea. Such wasted potential.

Yeah. The dingo did it.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Erebus posted:

Why have several pages been dedicated to arguing with one guy over his opinion on Star Wars

Brand loyalty.

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

mr.capps posted:

Jaws is a perfect film.

No jaws is terrible.

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

stickyfngrdboy posted:

Brand loyalty.

Lol

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Magnus Gallant posted:

No jaws is terrible.

Nah, Jaws is legitimately a perfect film. Its an actual fact that the film is expertly crafted no matter your dumb baby opinion.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I finished The Fall season 2 last night and I'm conflicted.

It was a perfect finale to the Spector story, but then the last 20 minutes happened and set up some kind of... something about him being part of a hypothetical third season. He confessed to multiple murders so there's no way he gets to bullshit get away and be the villain again. The best I can come up with is that he becomes the Hannibal Lector to Gillian's Clarisse, probably trying to stop Kate or something, but I just, I don't know, ugh. I really would like a third season to ditch Spector completely, much like how Homeland should have ditched a certain character long before it did.

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

mr.capps posted:

Nah, Jaws is legitimately a perfect film. Its an actual fact that the film is expertly crafted no matter your dumb baby opinion.

Any movie I've fallen asleep during on more than one occasion is not a perfect film. Jaws won't be remembered in the next 50 years, hell I'll bet a majority of young people alive right now haven't seen jaws.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

morestuff posted:

Netflix is taking on a crazy amount of debt, but they're going to have a lot of original content this year:

S&P downgraded their debt, so its probably worth picking up a few bonds if you have some money lying around.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Magnus Gallant posted:

Jaws won't be remembered in the next 50 years

:toxx:

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Magnus Gallant posted:

Jaws won't be remembered in the next 50 years, hell I'll bet a majority of young people alive right now haven't seen jaws.

I'll bet a majority of young people alive right now haven't watched a lot of great films from before they were born; what's your point?

My wife and I are both in our mid 30's; I grew up watching Jaws, and she saw it for the first time a few years ago when I made her watch it as soon as I found out that she never had (she loved it,btw). A majority of people simply aren't film buffs/geeks/nerds who make an effort to watch great films of the past.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Hot takes itt.

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Jaws isn't terrible it's just not perfect. I liked die hard way better.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Magnus Gallant posted:

Jaws isn't terrible it's just not perfect. I liked die hard way better.

I love both of them.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
What about... Robocop

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Monkey Fracas posted:

What about... Robocop

Robocop rules

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Magnus Gallant posted:

Any movie I've fallen asleep during on more than one occasion is not a perfect film. Jaws won't be remembered in the next 50 years, hell I'll bet a majority of young people alive right now haven't seen jaws.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that there is literally no movie that a majority of young (or old, or white, or human) people have seen.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I know a guy that's about 23-24 or so, and has never seen any of The Matrix films.

edit: vv I watched The Matrix in english class. He tied it into philosophy and poo poo

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Feb 3, 2015

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

regulargonzalez posted:

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that there is literally no movie that a majority of young people have seen.

I feel like the closet you could get would be To Kill a Mockingbird for the simple reason its played in class by lazy English teachers?

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Feb 3, 2015

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

mr.capps posted:

I feel like the closet you could get would be To Kill a Mockingbird for the simple reason its played in class by lazy English teachers?

I'd say it'd be james Cameron's avatar that most people have seen. Though I do remember seeing to kill a mockingbird in high school, which was pathetic because that book is what like 150 pages long?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
There's a documentary on Gore Vidal up but I haven't watched it yet so I'm only assuming it owns.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

mr.capps posted:

What the hell? No.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Why did no one mention that they just uploaded a shitload of Lifetime movies, or did this happen and I didn't notice somehow?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Why did no one mention that they just uploaded a shitload of Lifetime movies, or did this happen and I didn't notice somehow?

Is The Invisible Child one of them?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Jose Oquendo posted:

Is The Invisible Child one of them?

Looks like it's mostly newer stuff.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

How the hell can you not love Jaws?

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story

regulargonzalez posted:

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that there is literally no movie that a majority of young (or old, or white, or human) people have seen.

In the west at least, maybe the Lion King?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Magnus Gallant posted:

It'll be remembered, but the same way Stagecoach is - not because people come to watch it every year.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Magnus Gallant posted:

Any movie I've fallen asleep during on more than one occasion is not a perfect film. xJaws won't be remembered in the next 50 years, hell I'll bet a majority of young people alive right now haven't seen jaws.

I think it's fair to say that most films won't be remembered 90 years after they come out, and that will probably have very little to do with their overall quality.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

They went up at least a few weeks ago.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Re-Animator is back! Jeffrey Combs's fantastic performance as the obsessed / demented Herbert West and more gore than you can shake a stick at. Wish they'd get Bride of Re-Animator on so we could have a double feature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

Magnus Gallant posted:

I'd say it'd be james Cameron's avatar that most people have seen.

the matrix or toy story are my guesses.

• Locked thread