Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Michaellaneous posted:

I just installed Starbound via steam, right click - properties - local files - browse.

Then open the mod folder you downloaded and put it in retarded giraffe or something, and then mods.

THERE it was. Thank you. ARG I felt like a dumbass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Still haven't beaten the mine boss :(

Though, I also stopped after the second try because holy poo poo so many pink guys in your way. For now, I built myself a new space shack and hosed around a bit.

Like, am I the only one here who feels that the movement controls in Starbound are bad and floaty? I'd attribute most of my failure against the boss to that, because I've fallen to my death mostly. For a game that includes dungeons where you have to make perfect jumps, and generally seems big on precise moves, the controls suck rear end imo.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

AHAHAAHAHAH YESSS I can see where the goddamn ores are! This is the best mod ever!

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Tin Tim posted:

For a game that includes dungeons where you have to make perfect jumps,

People actually do that poo poo? I just did myself to the end or build bridges over the lava and stuff.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
star boundizin

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!

Tin Tim posted:

Though, I also stopped after the second try because holy poo poo so many pink guys in your way. For now, I built myself a new space shack and hosed around a bit.

Like, am I the only one here who feels that the movement controls in Starbound are bad and floaty? I'd attribute most of my failure against the boss to that, because I've fallen to my death mostly. For a game that includes dungeons where you have to make perfect jumps, and generally seems big on precise moves, the controls suck rear end imo.

They are bad and floaty. It seems like they're loathe to admit that they havent crafted a great platformer.

Doggboat
Oct 17, 2012

Tin Tim posted:

Like, am I the only one here who feels that the movement controls in Starbound are bad and floaty?
No they are. Maybe it's just my imagination, but I have the feeling they weren't as bad and floaty when the beta first came out. But you could run as fast backwards as forwards back then too.

Is a creative mode, where I can choose what kind of planet with which biome, backgrounds, etc and have access to all blocks, coming?
I think building an useless house on some moon is all I want from the game. Everything else is so terribly boring.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Trastion posted:

People actually do that poo poo? I just did myself to the end or build bridges over the lava and stuff.

The new implementation of dungeons actually prevents that kind of cheeseballing - until you disable the generator at the end.

Fun fact, though - you can parry the damage from an electric wall/floor. And once you've started parrying, you don't stop until you stop getting it, so if you parry as you land, you can just kind of bulldoze your way across with no problem.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Tin Tim posted:

Since enemies don't do damage just by touching you, it's pretty easy to run through the whole thing (including the crazy guys at the end). I had to do the mine twice, and the second time I just skipped all the fighting.

The controls really are pretty bad, honestly. You have this weird half-momentum half-air-control thing going on when you jump, and it's even worse if your mouse isn't pointing the right way. It's not nearly as tight or responsive as it should be.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Where the heck do I get leather?

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)

Davoren posted:

Where the heck do I get leather?

kill animals with hunting knife

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Inverness posted:

I just nostalgia'd hard about the first time I played Riven.

I don't recall Starbound having any planets with odd formations like that. Or something like what's found in Gehn's 233rd age:

I'm also remembering one of the ages from Myst 5:

:vince:

Oh holy poo poo what I cannot even remember that age in 5. I gotta play it again right now!

Michaellaneous fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Feb 2, 2015

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007

Zombie Samurai posted:

The controls really are pretty bad, honestly. You have this weird half-momentum half-air-control thing going on when you jump, and it's even worse if your mouse isn't pointing the right way. It's not nearly as tight or responsive as it should be.

Jumping is literally like in the first SMB game on NES, but without a run button.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Man, now I want to replay the Myst games. I dunno if my discs for 3 and 4 still work at all, but I have the first two and the fifth games on steam. I've realized I had no memory of Gehn's 233rd age other than that it was pretty.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Zombie Samurai posted:

Since enemies don't do damage just by touching you, it's pretty easy to run through the whole thing (including the crazy guys at the end). I had to do the mine twice, and the second time I just skipped all the fighting.

Oh wow, they don't do that anymore? Didn't really catch that so far. Welp, gotta go fast! Good thing I have the dash tech as my first pick

And it's good to know that I'm not the only one who thinks the movement controls suck!

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
Essential mods:

Faster backwards walking
Glowing ores

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Tin Tim posted:

Oh wow, they don't do that anymore? Didn't really catch that so far. Welp, gotta go fast! Good thing I have the dash tech as my first pick

And it's good to know that I'm not the only one who thinks the movement controls suck!

Wonder how much of this can be somehow bypassed by Tech mods somehow? poo poo like a "slam-the-gently caress-down from the air" tech, etc.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

huh, characters have a shared starting planet now?

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Speedball posted:

Yup, and I'm glad. I spent like 5 hours on my human and got him up to Titanium before deciding to switch, leaving a whole bunch of stuff to get started with at the starter shack. I got my Floran up to and past where my human was in less than an hour.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Speedball posted:

Yes they have. Drop your useless loot there and have an easy start.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

I like the game and don't like the shitposts but I can't find like any ore that isn't coal and it's P-ing me O!!!!!!!!!

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

I like the game and don't like the shitposts but I can't find like any ore that isn't coal and it's P-ing me O!!!!!!!!!

Installing glowing ores. It's in the OP. hth

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
Am I nuts for wanting to rent a server after this update?

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

ColHannibal posted:

You can pretty easily host a server on almost any spare computer regardless of OS. I don't even know why sever rentals are a thing unless it's more for people who want a server that can handle 100+ people somehow.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Wee Tinkle Wand posted:

You can pretty easily host a server on almost any spare computer regardless of OS. I don't even know why sever rentals are a thing unless it's more for people who want a server that can handle 100+ people somehow.

My spare pc burned out.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Wee Tinkle Wand posted:

Sometimes people have lovely internet, or want to have a server running all the time but don't want a computer running constantly in their home.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

ColHannibal posted:

Do iiiit :twisted:

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

ColHannibal posted:

Don't pussyfoot it. Make it the official goon sever.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Dandywalken posted:

Wonder how much of this can be somehow bypassed by Tech mods somehow? poo poo like a "slam-the-gently caress-down from the air" tech, etc.

I think there is a ground pound tech, though I haven't picked it yet. I've been using the blink tech for that kind of thing, hover cursor over where I want to be, press F, job done.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Vib Rib posted:

>Block Crafting Table
http://community.playstarbound.com/...ing-table.2410/
Adds a crafting table that uses material-based recipes rather than pixels to craft decorative block types from throughout the game. Great for diversity of building materials you don't have to ransack for. Great for base builders.

>Block Replicator
http://community.playstarbound.com/...eplicator.1675/
Aegisalt-level tech that lets you mass-print blocks at the cost of voxels (compressed pixels). Great for the casual builder. Also comes in even more advanced Violium and Rubium variants. Can be used with Block Crafting Table to get the "seed" blocks to repliate later.

>Decoration Crafting Table
http://forums.playstarbound.com/ind...ing-table.2431/
Adds a crafting table that can craft almost any existing decorative item using simple in-game materials rather than pixels. Also eliminates having to hunt down random biome recipes for every single character you make. Great for base builders.
TO FIX FOR NEWEST UPDATE: Install original, delete "tarpitchest.object" from recipe folder, then overwrite with this patch: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ec0hihzqv...%20fix.rar?dl=0

>Pixel Goods Store
http://community.playstarbound.com/...ods-store.1348/
Adds a vending machine merchant from which you can buy all sorts of custom decoration and furniture. Spritework is very nice, lots of cool stuff including racial and generic furniture, anything from trophies to bathtubs to bookshelves made of lava-seamed obsidian.

Trip report: The Block Replicator isn't as good as the crafting table. It costs a lot (20 uranium bars, 20 aegisalt bars, 10k pixels) to make and has a much smaller selection.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"
Do yourself a favor and find a tiny house biome, and smash everything

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

hold it now hold it now hold it right there
you wouldn't drop, couldn't drop diddy, you wouldn't dare

Tin Tim posted:

I was one switch away from beating the mine boss, then a pink guy destroyed my shield, I was reduced to like one HP and as I was eating a bandage I began to fall. even with the HP regen nothing could save me from Starbound Fall Damage.
I can't wait to start all over.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Space Bat posted:

I was one switch away from beating the mine boss, then a pink guy destroyed my shield, I was reduced to like one HP and as I was eating a bandage I began to fall. even with the HP regen nothing could save me from Starbound Fall Damage.

If you can host a server I'll tag along and beat stuff up for you.

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

hold it now hold it now hold it right there
you wouldn't drop, couldn't drop diddy, you wouldn't dare

JerikTelorian posted:

If you can host a server I'll tag along and beat stuff up for you.

I appreciate the offer but I'm just mad because I'm a spaz. I do wish you could respawn though.

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat

Space Bat posted:

Multiplayer is by far the easiest way to cheese the bosses. As long as you're in a group before you enter the mission instance, both players share it so it'll stay loaded as long as one person is there.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Dandywalken posted:

There already is a slam-the-gently caress-down from the air tech.

I think people who complain about the controls just never use techs.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

AndroidHub posted:

Do yourself a favor and find a tiny house biome, and smash everything

poo poo like this is why there is still hope for starbound.

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx
Goons are incredibly easy to impress it seems.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Afraid of Audio posted:

I'd give it at most 3 weeks. Sans massive modder influence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Afraid of Audio posted:

Please jingle some keys for me. But I swear to god if those Keys are slightly the wrong shape I will cry all night.

• Locked thread