Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I still don't get what it means. This is worse than cow tools.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

jidohanbaiki posted:

Anyway, does anyone remember those anti smoking ads where the cigarette becomes flaccid, implying a connection between ED and smoking? My friend doesn't remember them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYu8crlRe9g

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Phlegmish posted:

I still don't get what it means. This is worse than cow tools.
The cremation services one? It means "people get older. even cute kids."

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Hey so uh, guess what you shouldn't do in your ad.

Talk about a dead kid.

Nationwide has now put out an official statement responding to the criticism of their ad.

Somehow I knew, even before reading the statement, that it would contain the phrase "start a conversation". I just knew.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

DaveWoo posted:

Nationwide has now put out an official statement responding to the criticism of their ad.

Somehow I knew, even before reading the statement, that it would contain the phrase "start a conversation". I just knew.

Here is the type of conversation that created the ad.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Lol I work at Nationwide.

I've had no fewer than 5 people call in to complain and/or cancel their policies because of the commercial.

Granted, those are folks that probably wouldn't have stuck around but still.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

Jastiger posted:

Lol I work at Nationwide.

I've had no fewer than 5 people call in to complain and/or cancel their policies because of the commercial.

Granted, those are folks that probably wouldn't have stuck around but still.

My immediate, gut-reflex response to that commercial was "gently caress [whatever insurance company that just was]." Judging from the responses on Twitter, I'm sure millions of people felt similarly.

UnoriginalMind
Dec 22, 2007

I Love You
I checked the past few pages and didn't see anything about that "Macro Brew" ad that Budweiser put out. The entire thing boiled down to "We're not one of those SNOBBY CRAFT BREWS. We're BREWED HARD and don't taste like peaches." Uh. Okay.

Translation: "Help, craft beer is killing our sales and we have no way to differentiate our lovely pisswater from similarly priced lovely pisswater."

Thinking about it, I don't actually know anyone that drinks Bud Light or Budweiser. My generation skipped it, seems like.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

UnoriginalMind posted:

I checked the past few pages and didn't see anything about that "Macro Brew" ad that Budweiser put out. The entire thing boiled down to "We're not one of those SNOBBY CRAFT BREWS. We're BREWED HARD and don't taste like peaches." Uh. Okay.

Translation: "Help, craft beer is killing our sales and we have no way to differentiate our lovely pisswater from similarly priced lovely pisswater."

Thinking about it, I don't actually know anyone that drinks Bud Light or Budweiser. My generation skipped it, seems like.

Yeah that ad sucked, but I'm sure it played well with the very real demographic that considers all craft beer to be something for fags and hipsters. The only other demo they can even cater to with Budweiser is broke people at bars who like Miller moderately less.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

UnoriginalMind posted:

Good call on that one. I like craft beers and enjoy trying different kinds. I don't like being told I"m a dickhead for not drinking Budweiser because its "cheap". So yeah, gently caress them.

I have to consider the commercials with Kate Upton for that Game of War bad with money in advertising but I"m not sure if everyone else would agree. Their commercial makes it out to be this huge game the likes of DRAGON AGE INQUISITION with big ol titties and dragons and poo poo.

Then you look at the game and its this little F2P thingie with 16 bit lookin graphics with "energy" cool downs.

Bait and Switch much?

Also, I am not sure if I brought it up here, but I'm going to go ahead and assume anyone driving a Chevy Colorado is a complete rear end in a top hat based on the commercials they were pitching.
Oh poo poo look at this human being and his fuel efficient vehicle. Better get the HUGE TRUCK YEAHH BACK IN BLACK.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

UnoriginalMind posted:

They should've gone with "You know we're not a craft brewer because you don't choke on loving hops when you drink our beer"

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

They should've gone with "You know we're not a craft brewer because you don't choke on loving hops when you drink our beer"

Instead, they featured hops somewhat prominently despite their beer having no hoppy taste to it at all.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Also they own like a billion microbrews so it's just corporations setting up a false choice per usual. I don't like those sissy InBev beers! Gimme my all-american InBev!

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

UnoriginalMind posted:

It's even dumber, because craft beer isn't what's killing their sales. Cheap wine and liquor used to be horrible, but now they're decent, and that's what people are fleeing macros for. One of the posters over in the beer thread pointed out it's like a commercial for pickup trucks attacking Prius drivers. It was never your market anyway, attacking it doesn't make any sense.

They're also buying up local craft brewers, like Elysian, which actually *does* make a peach pumpkin beer like they attack in that ad. The fact that they can *attack their own product* indicates the lack of competition between the two market segments.

Yeah that ad sucked, but I'm sure it played well with the very real demographic that considers all craft beer to be something for fags and hipsters.

Hrm, what about this ad they ran a few months back?

Phanatic has a new favorite as of 01:27 on Feb 3, 2015

script kitty
Jan 2, 2005

GOTTA GO CATTES

Holy poo poo lol

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

These Loss.jpg edits...

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Phanatic posted:

Hrm, what about this ad they ran a few months back?

Just imagining one of my redneck friends doing this with a can of Bud Light, I can't stop laughing.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
What's sad is that Busch actually owns several really good breweries now since I think they are a majority owner in Elysian and 10 Barrels now who are both legit beer brands who make good stuff.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Jastiger posted:

Good call on that one. I like craft beers and enjoy trying different kinds. I don't like being told I"m a dickhead for not drinking Budweiser because its "cheap". So yeah, gently caress them.

Haha, let me guess, you don't even own a pickup truck? :smug:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Jastiger posted:

I have to consider the commercials with Kate Upton for that Game of War bad with money in advertising but I"m not sure if everyone else would agree. Their commercial makes it out to be this huge game the likes of DRAGON AGE INQUISITION with big ol titties and dragons and poo poo.

Then you look at the game and its this little F2P thingie with 16 bit lookin graphics with "energy" cool downs.

Bait and Switch much?

Also, I am not sure if I brought it up here, but I'm going to go ahead and assume anyone driving a Chevy Colorado is a complete rear end in a top hat based on the commercials they were pitching.
Oh poo poo look at this human being and his fuel efficient vehicle. Better get the HUGE TRUCK YEAHH BACK IN BLACK.

Well to be fair most of the people I've run into that enjoy craft beers are total dickheads anyway so they aren't wrong.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Haruharuharuko posted:

These Loss.jpg edits...

Every time I see four panels in a 2x2 square I always instantly think of Loss.jpg. The internet has broken my brain.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Tracula posted:

Every time I see four panels in a 2x2 square I always instantly think of Loss.jpg. The internet has broken my brain.

Goons have been making fun of loss for seven years. I think the rest of the internet has moved on now.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

Len posted:

Goons have been making fun of loss for seven years. I think the rest of the internet has moved on now.

loss is still the biggest internet gently caress up i have ever seen, and will always remain humorous throughout my life

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Barudak posted:

Millennial brand shopping habits have a lot of companies making GBS threads their pants

This is a month old, but I would like to know more about this.

It's kind of amazing how quickly Groupon fizzled. For a shining moment they were the next big thing, but then they refused to sell to Google at around the same time most people realized that the 'deals' weren't all that amazing or they were getting inferior service compared to people paying full price.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Len posted:

Would you say they've moved past it, and healed?

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.

Len posted:

Well to be fair most of the people I've run into that enjoy craft beers are total dickheads anyway so they aren't wrong.

In the hopes of bridging the gap, I like craft beers, but when a friend says "hey I got you this beer," and it's a Budweiser or Miller, I appreciate that my friend got me a beer and drink it happily. Supermechagodzilla would probably say: "Beer isn't fun. No one is taking your friends from you."

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Jastiger posted:

Bait and Switch much?

A few ads for tablet games like this have turned up, at least around here in Australia. I see several of them, several times, in the rare occasions I watch TV, and I can never distinguish between them. Are there really that many free-to-play historic strategy games with ad campaigns that look like a segment from a Civilization opening cinematic? I think you've covered that market well enough, guys.

I suppose it makes sense they would be the games that advertise on TV more often, though. 'Real gamers' (PC and console, I mean, I'm not trying to draw a line of quality) seem to be more online, the casual audience is more the TV-watching kind.

EDIT: And they're probably on their tablets, playing those games, when your ad is playing! Even better.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 04:57 on Feb 3, 2015

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

The North Tower posted:

In the hopes of bridging the gap, I like craft beers, but when a friend says "hey I got you this beer," and it's a Budweiser or Miller, I appreciate that my friend got me a beer and drink it happily. Supermechagodzilla would probably say: "Beer isn't fun. No one is taking your friends from you."

Beer is actually really fun and SMG is a total nerd.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Beer is good, drink it.

Free Beer is great! You are only allowed to complain about the temperature of a beer you are provided with.

Mogambo
Jan 6, 2011

:hurr:
This has been a public service announcement to put me on ignore.

Beer is actually really fun and SMG is a total nerd.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.

VendaGoat posted:

Beer is good, drink it.

Free Beer is great! You are only allowed to complain about the temperature of a beer you are provided with.

I'll cheers with you anytime, VendaGoat.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Beachcomber posted:

This is a month old, but I would like to know more about this.

So you're in luck because Campbell has been like the poster child for this issue and they just launched a massive, massive overhaul of themselves because of this and their failures to staunch the bleeding.

Basically, it boils down to something very simple; top brands for Millennial consumers in category after category are not the brands that have been dominant in those categories since 1950 onwards. Go to examples of panicking brands include the recently mentioned McDonalds and Budweiser who are desperate to right the ship. It's due to a lot of different factors. In the food space its been the incredibly strong push towards custom order, higher quality, and unique flavors. In slower moving industries like financial, insurance, and banking its been a really hard push towards mobile and online services and a move away from branches and brokers. In cars its been a decline in spending income combined with just flat out declining number of miles driven (23% less miles driven, in fact). You get the gist but basically about 3-ish years ago it started to sink for a lot of big brands that not only did Millennials not have an interest or recognition of them but that the company had no idea how to actually target them properly and that Millennials in many cases already had a new brand which catered to them that they aren't switching from.

So back to Campbell Soup. Campbell soup has been since like 50s King poo poo of Soup Mountain. I mean fuckin Andy Warhol painted them for an art piece that helped launch him into the stratosphere. Well about 3-4 years ago Campbells absolutely abysmal sales among Millennials started to worry them so like any good company they sort of looked at the trend and just went "yeah we got this." Thus was born Campbell Go featuring duck faces and big glasses and multiethnic faces having wacky fun on a soup pouch with interesting flavors although made of the same junk quality garbage they always used. These single serving things cost $3 a pop and were promoted using pop-up fake-artisanal local soup stores. This of course, went over like a lead balloon.

This brings us to last week where Campbell, after quarter after quarter after quarter of declining sales, has now announced a massive overhaul of its brand so complete that soup isn't even the forefront of the products they want to promote. Soup isn't even a unique division anymore! I mean sure, they've still got the incredibly gross idea to make soup in your Keurig machine they're kicking to shareholders but they're trying to promote their other, previously more obscure brands and shifted their fresher and better ingredient foods into their own division.

tl;dr Millennials product desires did not align with previously established brands old brands did not realize this until Millennials were long gone at brands that came into existence to cater these desires.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Phanatic posted:

It's even dumber, because craft beer isn't what's killing their sales. Cheap wine and liquor used to be horrible, but now they're decent, and that's what people are fleeing macros for. One of the posters over in the beer thread pointed out it's like a commercial for pickup trucks attacking Prius drivers. It was never your market anyway, attacking it doesn't make any sense.

Actually that sounds like a solid marketing strategy. The demographics that buy pickup trucks think they are competing against hybrid cars. Same with cheap beer drinkers. If they think that craft beer is killing the industry, then attack ads will play well to them.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Barudak posted:

So you're in luck because Campbell has been like the poster child for this issue and they just launched a massive, massive overhaul of themselves because of this and their failures to staunch the bleeding.

Basically, it boils down to something very simple; top brands for Millennial consumers in category after category are not the brands that have been dominant in those categories since 1950 onwards. Go to examples of panicking brands include the recently mentioned McDonalds and Budweiser who are desperate to right the ship. It's due to a lot of different factors. In the food space its been the incredibly strong push towards custom order, higher quality, and unique flavors. In slower moving industries like financial, insurance, and banking its been a really hard push towards mobile and online services and a move away from branches and brokers. In cars its been a decline in spending income combined with just flat out declining number of miles driven (23% less miles driven, in fact). You get the gist but basically about 3-ish years ago it started to sink for a lot of big brands that not only did Millennials not have an interest or recognition of them but that the company had no idea how to actually target them properly and that Millennials in many cases already had a new brand which catered to them that they aren't switching from.

So back to Campbell Soup. Campbell soup has been since like 50s King poo poo of Soup Mountain. I mean fuckin Andy Warhol painted them for an art piece that helped launch him into the stratosphere. Well about 3-4 years ago Campbells absolutely abysmal sales among Millennials started to worry them so like any good company they sort of looked at the trend and just went "yeah we got this." Thus was born Campbell Go featuring duck faces and big glasses and multiethnic faces having wacky fun on a soup pouch with interesting flavors although made of the same junk quality garbage they always used. These single serving things cost $3 a pop and were promoted using pop-up fake-artisanal local soup stores. This of course, went over like a lead balloon.

This brings us to last week where Campbell, after quarter after quarter after quarter of declining sales, has now announced a massive overhaul of its brand so complete that soup isn't even the forefront of the products they want to promote. Soup isn't even a unique division anymore! I mean sure, they've still got the incredibly gross idea to make soup in your Keurig machine they're kicking to shareholders but they're trying to promote their other, previously more obscure brands and shifted their fresher and better ingredient foods into their own division.

tl;dr Millennials product desires did not align with previously established brands old brands did not realize this until Millennials were long gone at brands that came into existence to cater these desires.

This is fascinating talk more about things like this please. Are there any traditional brands that are doing well with Millennials? More importantly, tell us about more fuckups :allears:

Edit: A Bing link?

Tiny Brontosaurus has a new favorite as of 05:52 on Feb 3, 2015

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Stop helping Budweiser

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Bud

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Only if it's the kind you can smoke/vape

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

VendaGoat posted:

Only if it's the kind you can smoke/vape

Wise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aardvark Barber
Sep 7, 2007

Delivery in less than two minutes or your money back!

Er...