Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crack
Apr 10, 2009
I can get a nice hypodermic needle (though I might try find a blunt one) and decent lab syringe. I've tried other various methods to refill a cartridge and it's definately not as easy as "pouring ink out of the bottle" I even fully submerged a cartridge in the ink bottle with a pair of tweezers and tried to break the surface tension on the blocking bubble at the top but with no success. The only way I've actually managed it so far with limited success is to roll the non paper (weird papery material but a little thicker) wrap my razor blade comes in into a tube shape and stuff it in an eyedropper, then push the other end in the cart which fills it to some extent but the tube becomes so saturated with ink it's only 1 use. I think I could probably get the plastic tube cigarette filters come in to work with a bit of modification, but I'm going to the lab today and grabbing a needle.

Solkanar512 posted:

Yeah, but if you don't notice it at first, it's easy to get ink all over the place.

I tried this already, and the ink flow becomes so heavy as to be unusable.

Eyedropper conversion right, not refilling carts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fall
Jun 6, 2011
When you fill, put a toothpick or needle in the cartridge to break the surface tension.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Fall posted:

When you fill, put a toothpick or needle in the cartridge to break the surface tension.

Unless you submerge the thing instead of filling it with a syringe the needle won't do anything. Why you would want to submerge a whole cartridge in the first place is beyond me.

Crack posted:

I can get a nice hypodermic needle (though I might try find a blunt one) and decent lab syringe. I've tried other various methods to refill a cartridge and it's definately not as easy as "pouring ink out of the bottle" I even fully submerged a cartridge in the ink bottle with a pair of tweezers and tried to break the surface tension on the blocking bubble at the top but with no success.
The Pilot cartridges (not the international cartridges in the Pilot MR) have such a wide neck they're ink champagne flutes rather than ink cartridges.

Have some blunt tipped syringes.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Crack posted:

Eyedropper conversion right, not refilling carts?

Exactly.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Are the OP recommendations still good? I have a variety of vintage pens and a safari, but i would like to upgrade to nice $100-200 gold nib pen. I am selling the vintage pens as I don't use them and I would like something at least as big as a safari.

Maybe a TWSI 700 and ??

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Ropes4u posted:

Are the OP recommendations still good? I have a variety of vintage pens and a safari, but i would like to upgrade to nice $100-200 gold nib pen. I am selling the vintage pens as I don't use them and I would like something at least as big as a safari.

Maybe a TWSI 700 and ??

Waterman Caréne. That might be a hair over $200 depending on nib/vendor but it's a goddamn gorgeous pen.

E: I have one in black/gold and I also have a Lamy al-star, if you'd like comparison pictures later today I can arrange. I need to get the Carene repaired (I bought it used, and I am fairly sure it has been dropped and poorly straightened hence the 50% discount) so I cant give a good writing example but I can certainly give a size comparison.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Feb 2, 2015

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

FAUXTON posted:

Waterman Caréne. That might be a hair over $200 depending on nib/vendor but it's a goddamn gorgeous pen.

I have a Caréne too, and you're right it is a gorgeous, and rather hefty pen that writes really well. I also happen to think it looks like a toe.

I just happened to get a Vista last week. The Lamy is a touch longer than the Caréne, but the Caréne is wider, and imo a much better writer.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Thank you both and ease post comparisons when you can.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

While we're also talking about sourcing needles and such: this is the vial holder goulet sells if, like me, you filled one or more up already. http://smile.amazon.com/Karter-Scie...rds=vial+holder

It's also not marked up to 3x the normal price.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

grack posted:

You can drat near refill Pilot cartridges by pouring ink straight out of the bottle anyways.

Speaking of Pilot, with the Yen so low I'd like to get a nice Japanese gold nibbed pen in the ~$100-$120 range. I'm considering a Pilot Decimo, Pilot Custom 92, Sailor Pro Gear Slim or a Platinum 3776. I've tried the Falcon (didn't really like it), and I'm not interested in a Lamy 2000, at least not right now.

Thoughts?

I've been looking at the Pilot CH 91 since it can fit a CON-70 and it's non-demo. IIRC it costs approx $65+shipping overseas too. I'm not a huge fan of the Pilot VP (too small ink capacity) or Sailor Sapporo (too small overall). Although I've not tried the Platinum 3776 yet either but I see them for sale pre-owned a lot FWIW.

I did get a chance to write with a Pilot CH 92 (orange) and I'd buy one if they offered them in opaque colors. Sometimes water/humidity would show up behind the cap and that kinda drives me mad.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
If you like a pocket-size pen the Elite 95S has a gold nib. It has a very slight softness and a wider line than the standard Pilot nibs so the EF is really more like an F. I picked one up from a seller on Amazon for $95 and free shipping but they're also all over ebay for $85-$100 or so. The US version is $130+ and just called E95s but I don't see much point in getting it over the Japanese one. Comes in 2 versions - black w/gold trim and a burgundy/ivory combo that IMO is very pretty and distinctive. It takes a standard Pilot cartridge or converter so same ink capacity as a Metro or whatever.

Fall
Jun 6, 2011

blowfish posted:

Unless you submerge the thing instead of filling it with a syringe the needle won't do anything. Why you would want to submerge a whole cartridge in the first place is beyond me.

The Pilot cartridges (not the international cartridges in the Pilot MR) have such a wide neck they're ink champagne flutes rather than ink cartridges.

Before I got my syringe, I was having trouble rinsing out my cartridges to re-use them. The surface tension would cause the inky water to stay inside the cartridge when inverted. So I inserted a toothpick, and the water ran out beautifully.

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

grack posted:

You can drat near refill Pilot cartridges by pouring ink straight out of the bottle anyways.

Speaking of Pilot, with the Yen so low I'd like to get a nice Japanese gold nibbed pen in the ~$100-$120 range. I'm considering a Pilot Decimo, Pilot Custom 92, Sailor Pro Gear Slim or a Platinum 3776. I've tried the Falcon (didn't really like it), and I'm not interested in a Lamy 2000, at least not right now.

Thoughts?

Pilot Vanishing Point fits in this range.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Meh. Handled the VP, didn't really like it that much.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Related post, but I am looking for a nice quality journal to write my thoughts/musings. My wife got me a very nicely calfskin hardbound/gilded edge journal for my last which I just filled up a couple of weeks ago. I am looking for something that is not just a "moleskine" type notebook. I generally write with my TWSBI Diamond 580 with a 1.1 nib and Pilot inks (my handwriting is big fat letters). Perhaps something like this would be cool? Hand-made paper journal or am I asking for a bleed through mess with that kind of paper? I am not opposed to spending up to ~$75 if something seems to look particularly cool/unique since these are things I intend for my kids/grandkids to read etc.

Crack
Apr 10, 2009
Ah, got a 5 ml syringe and a needle. all for free. Converters are a con.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Welsper posted:

Pilot Vanishing Point fits in this range.

A Decimo is basically a slightly skinnier VP: http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/13108-review-pilot-capless-decimo/

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Related post, but I am looking for a nice quality journal to write my thoughts/musings. My wife got me a very nicely calfskin hardbound/gilded edge journal for my last which I just filled up a couple of weeks ago. I am looking for something that is not just a "moleskine" type notebook. I generally write with my TWSBI Diamond 580 with a 1.1 nib and Pilot inks (my handwriting is big fat letters). Perhaps something like this would be cool? Hand-made paper journal or am I asking for a bleed through mess with that kind of paper? I am not opposed to spending up to ~$75 if something seems to look particularly cool/unique since these are things I intend for my kids/grandkids to read etc.

Not sure what "just a moleskine" means, but for some extra flair/pretentiousness (depending on how you look at it), you could go with a Midori (shorter version here). It can hold multiple notebook refills so you can have lined + blank, for example, and it has a bunch of little accessories as well.

I personally use a Pelle leather journal (essentially an American-made copy of the Midori that went defunct a year or two ago), which I like because it comes in a medium size between the two Midori sizes. There's a Clairefontaine notebook that works perfectly as a refill too.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Alder posted:

I've been looking at the Pilot CH 91 since it can fit a CON-70 and it's non-demo. IIRC it costs approx $65+shipping overseas too. I'm not a huge fan of the Pilot VP (too small ink capacity) or Sailor Sapporo (too small overall). Although I've not tried the Platinum 3776 yet either but I see them for sale pre-owned a lot FWIW.

The CON-70 is really great and if you write a lot you'll like it. Leave the agitator in and don't get itchy-fingered about taking it out, you only gain 0.1ish ml and the converter already holds plenty of ink.

Re: notebook chat, get a Seven Seas: http://www.nanamipaper.com/categories/seven-seas-tomoe-river-paper.html
They're bound book and pad versions using Tomoe River paper. Tomoe River paper is good stuff.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Related post, but I am looking for a nice quality journal to write my thoughts/musings. My wife got me a very nicely calfskin hardbound/gilded edge journal for my last which I just filled up a couple of weeks ago. I am looking for something that is not just a "moleskine" type notebook. I generally write with my TWSBI Diamond 580 with a 1.1 nib and Pilot inks (my handwriting is big fat letters).

I guess you're not a fan of the minimalist monochrome notebook trend, eh?

I like JPN notebooks as they have nice papers and not extremely costly overall. Right now I'm writing in Tsubame notebooks sized B5 80 pages. Also, I heard Midori sells nice notebooks but it starts at $15+. Rhodia has webnotebooks and Clairfontaine have fancy notebooks too for sale if you like more dense papers too.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Ah, this didn't come out the greatest, but I had a little time and access to pens and a camera, so, a size comparison, Waterman Carene vs. Lamy Vista, and a writing sample.

And a nib comparison. The light made it look like the Carene's section is transparent; it is not, it is glossy black plastic instead. Sorry for the reflection of my face.

The Carene is just a tiny bit longer than the Vista, and slimmer -- but much much heavier, being a lacquered metal pen. The inlaid nib is very smooth, and I really enjoy writing with it.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

atholbrose posted:

Ah, this didn't come out the greatest, but I had a little time and access to pens and a camera, so, a size comparison, Waterman Carene vs. Lamy Vista, and a writing sample.

And a nib comparison. The light made it look like the Carene's section is transparent; it is not, it is glossy black plastic instead. Sorry for the reflection of my face.

The Carene is just a tiny bit longer than the Vista, and slimmer -- but much much heavier, being a lacquered metal pen. The inlaid nib is very smooth, and I really enjoy writing with it.

Perfect, thank you!

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Well, while I decide on a Japanese VP I had a pair of NOS Rotring Esprits show up at my door today so new toys to play with. Enjoyable so far.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Beaten but there you go, comparison capped, uncapped, and posted :v:

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Nice Pens, thank you.

Slimchandi
May 13, 2005
That finger on your temple is the barrel of my raygun
Ask me about fountain pens: 'It's not a Pilot problem, it's a pay problem'

I can't be the only one who always sees this?

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos
I was bored last night, and decided to dive into the murky world of chinese knock-offs, because why not if at the worst I'm out the price of a pint of beer?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151369713093

This little beauty caught my eye. The picture is rather low-res, but it looks pretty enough. It should be here shortly, but has anyone tried one before?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Soylent Yellow posted:

I was bored last night, and decided to dive into the murky world of chinese knock-offs, because why not if at the worst I'm out the price of a pint of beer?

This little beauty caught my eye. The picture is rather low-res, but it looks pretty enough. It should be here shortly, but has anyone tried one before?

Go try it. It's the knockoff of Parker Vector, and might actually compare favourably to the original.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~

Is that a 2014 limited edition green Al-Star with a reddish, Black Swan of Australian Roses color ink in it? If it is, get out of my head, you demon.

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

Soylent Yellow posted:

I buy more Chinese pens than is probably healthy, and I have yet to get one that left me with the impression that I didn't get my money's worth. Even if it turns out to be a piece of poo poo that falls apart after a week. Be ready to clean the pen and, if you are comfortable with it, perform some minor (or major) tine re-alignment.

If you like pens with hooded nibs, look at the Hero 565. It's Hero's knockoff of Goldenstar's P51 knockoff. Its size and shape are much closer to a PFM than a P51, so it's much thicker than most P51 knockoffs. Also, it seems to be tooled a little better than most other comparable Chinese pens.

Other favorites of mine are the Hero 338, and the many versions of the Jinhao 599.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

EnsGDT posted:

Is that a 2014 limited edition green Al-Star with a reddish, Black Swan of Australian Roses color ink in it? If it is, get out of my head, you demon.

Yes a green all-star but the ink is neither. It's tsuki-yo, I think. Could be ama-iro or polar green. I have forgot.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~

FAUXTON posted:

Yes a green all-star but the ink is neither. It's tsuki-yo, I think. Could be ama-iro or polar green. I have forgot.

Ok cool. Phew.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
The only Chinese pen I bought and still like is the Hero 395, because not only is it unusual and pretty neat looking and has a springy nib it will take a piston converter instead of having one of those loving aerometric things glued in. Here's a pretty good video review of one that includes a writing sample and a good up-close look. The 2 complaints I have is that ink capacity is pretty low due to the aforementioned converter I'm using (probably need to get some cartridges instead) and it's so heavy that I can't write with it for very long without my hand hurting so because of that I don't use it much.

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Feb 5, 2015

grack
Jan 10, 2012

I clearly hate Lamy and IP rights so I bought one of these*: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hero-1088-Fountain-Pen-/261397468339?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cdc80d4b3

Apparently a perfect copy of the Lamy Studio outside of using international standard cartridge/converters, so much so that you can swap in Lamy nibs.

*I'm actually just really cheap

grack fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Feb 5, 2015

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
I just got a bottle of Iroshizuku Fuyu-Gaki, and I'm puzzled. It was advertised as "vermillion-red", but it's pretty clearly orange. Not even dark orange, it's pretty light too :v:

Not a bad colour, mind you, just wildly different from what I was expecting.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

grack posted:

I clearly hate Lamy and IP rights so I bought one of these*: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hero-1088-Fountain-Pen-/261397468339?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cdc80d4b3

Apparently a perfect copy of the Lamy Studio outside of using international standard cartridge/converters, so much so that you can swap in Lamy nibs.

*I'm actually just really cheap

Let us know how it writes, it looks pretty good in those photos.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Yeah, I've been arguing myself down from getting a LAMY Studio for a while now because I need to spend my money on things that aren't just pens, so I'd also be super interested in hearing how it writes.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Alright, well I'll definitely post my thoughts when it arrives. Of course it is coming from China so it may be a while.

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Mikl posted:

I just got a bottle of Iroshizuku Fuyu-Gaki, and I'm puzzled. It was advertised as "vermillion-red", but it's pretty clearly orange. Not even dark orange, it's pretty light too :v:

Not a bad colour, mind you, just wildly different from what I was expecting.

The best way I've heard it described is "persimmon". Supposedly you can push it into red but you need a fairly wet nib and probably favorable light, paper, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.
My friend gifted me a Pilot Metro because he's a nice guy. I've got a bottle of Noodler's Black Eel coming in the mail. I'm wondering if goons can recommend me a dark green? Looking for a bit darker than this. http://www.gouletpens.com/N19039/p/N19039

I'm really really impressed with the pen itself. I'm used to my fingers aching but with this I don't have to apply a lot of pressure to get a firm line. My friend that got it for me has six fountain pens, I'm already shopping for more.