Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Muraena
Feb 18, 2013

Justice. Honor. Anime~

RottenK posted:

I have a really annoying issue with saves. When I start the game, the list of saves is completely empty, as if I never started any campaigns. But the saved campaigns exist, and can be loaded by creating a "new" save with the same name as the one that I want to load.

Anyone else run into anything like this?

[Edit]Looks like it also requires the new save to be in the same slot where it was originally created.

I have the same problem, fix it same way. Tempted to rename the estate back to "Darkest" to save time on 'loading'.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

first world moral dilemmas:

Do I put this info into my Steam Guide or not/

Awww please don't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Muraena posted:

Awww please don't.

Yeah i'm gonna let someone else write the hacking guide. This game doesn't need it.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
Oh man, what if the Darkest Dungeon narrator was also a DOTA2 announcer? That would be super sweet!

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
What items effect what treasure?

Keys are for chests and cabinets but no strongboxes
Herbs effect tables, experiments, and food carts
Holy water works on ashes, shrines, confessionals, and altars
Torches burn parchment and books,
Shovels are for rubbles.

I still don't know what works with strongboxes or iron maidens (which seem to not only always be a negative effect but also do stress damage to claustrophobic people when you pass by)

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Normal Adult Human posted:

Shovels are for rubbles.

I still don't know what works with strongboxes or iron maidens (which seem to not only always be a negative effect but also do stress damage to claustrophobic people when you pass by)

Shovel works for graves as well, herbs for carcasses (?)

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
I usually never buy early access, but this is tempting. How buggy/unpolished does the game feel currently? It looks great but I'm expecting there to be some major fuckups considering it's early access.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Norns posted:

Oh poo poo. This goes early access tomorrow? Is it near feature complete?

The game feels very complete but not all of the content is. Its extremely playable.

ZeusJupitar
Jul 7, 2009

Razakai posted:

I usually never buy early access, but this is tempting. How buggy/unpolished does the game feel currently? It looks great but I'm expecting there to be some major fuckups considering it's early access.

Fells almost completely done, just a bit poorly balanced and lacking the last third of the game.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Razakai posted:

I've been watching streams playing it for days now. Seems pretty polished with just a few bugs. They are still tweaking gameplay things based on feedback. They still have 2 dungeons locked (1 of them being the namesake, i.e. the Darkest Dungeon), and 4 missing classes that will gradually be introduced during the 6 month Early Access time.

They also mentioned a NG+ mechanic, that is also not implemented yet. If it will make it during EA or not idk

This is 100% an EA purchase for me, and I'm usually cautious

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

S.J. posted:

I think their original vision for the game was as a tablet game, but I don't know if they've said anything solid about porting it over.

I hope they do. I can see pouring a lot of time into it, but not if I need to sit in front of a computer.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Shovels are for rubbles.

These are a mindfuck because sometimes you can open it without the item anyways? So I usually try, but then ~TRAPPED~

I usually bring keys and shovels to everything. But then its always either too many or too few. :ohdear:

And sometimes even if you have the right item, it still fails!

This game :allears:

I can't even imagine what a ballbreaker The Darkest Dungeon is going to be.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
My favorite ruins loadout so far is 8 food + 4-8 for each firewood, 4 torches, 3 keys, 3 holy water,1 shovel 1 herb. Assuming i don't have bad luck with traps i generally end up having to destroy food and holy water to fit more loot before the dungeon ends.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

My favorite ruins loadout so far is 8 food + 4-8 for each firewood, 4 torches, 3 keys, 3 holy water,1 shovel 1 herb. Assuming i don't have bad luck with traps i generally end up having to destroy food and holy water to fit more loot before the dungeon ends.

It's a high investment but I approve. Bandages and antidotes are really good though and you should consider dropping 2 holy water to fit them in and save some cost. Holy water isn't used that often though I'll bring two if it's a medium.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

That costs a lot though, so if you supply up that much you better be ready to go all the way.

On the other hand if you bought any less than that I'd be worried about not lasting to the end.

This game really does make you walk along the razor's edge.

PUSH IT TO THE LIMIT

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Demiurge4 posted:

It's a high investment but I approve. Bandages and antidotes are really good though and you should consider dropping 2 holy water to fit them in and save some cost. Holy water isn't used that often though I'll bring two if it's a medium.

Using any consumable item will reward you with more than double it's buying cost. I'm spending 5k in town each week and 2k on materials and coming back with 10k in pure loot and whatever bonus for mission complete.

I can't imagine how people survive in high light after 5 or so weeks.

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

"Today I will cause problems on purpose"
Came off of a dungeon where we had a bad run in with spiders because no one seemed to be hitting their big chaff clearing attacks.

No one died from the spiders but I was using food just so they wouldn't keel over from Blight. And then I get 2 Hunger procs in a short span of time before I can attempt the last room and I had to call the whole thing off. Because everyone was at death door and/or mad.

Always pack lunch kids. And Antidotes. And Sacrifice a goat to Nuffle so you actually hit things.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Camp on the third room and let your highwaymen clean their guns and you've won the dungeon.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Camp on the third room and let your highwaymen clean their guns and you've won the dungeon.

Camping early for the buffs is a really really good strategy actually

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
My starter highwayman cleans his guns, scouts ahead, and then gets eye of the tiger and a blessing and he had a 30% baseline crit with ranged attacks. It's a serious consideration whether i want him to immediately end the encounter with grapeshot or let it take longer for extra stress reduction.

edit: that guy is dead now.

LotsBread
Jan 4, 2013
Yo guys, I asked something about monster variety in the game and he said "Yes!" :D

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Clean guns is really amazing, yeah.

My starter highwayman cleans his guns, scouts ahead, and then gets eye of the tiger and a blessing and he had a 30% baseline crit with ranged attacks. It's a serious consideration whether i want him to immediately end the encounter with grapeshot or let it take longer for extra stress reduction.

:lol:

:darksouls:

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
In true dota fashion that highwayman died like he lived, being crushed under the weight of three worthless retards.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Dackel posted:

Camping early for the buffs is a really really good strategy actually

I really need to learn to do this. I've had so many medium length dungeon runs where I only camp by like the second to last room, and then only because I figure I might as well use it up before I'm done.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Tiptoeing a bit around and then camping to relieve a high-stress party would probably also be a good strategy, especially in a dungeon with 2 firewoods you could probably burn off all of everyone's stress and retreat for 0 cost.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Welp, just barely managed to beat the Hag, so that's two bosses down. I'd love to start delving into the Warrens, but the game just REFUSES to give me warrens missions now. I hope they change that in the final version so you can just pick where you want to go and always have some kind of mission there. Other then that and the balance issues (e.g. why do Graverobbers exist?), I'm really enjoying the game and can't wait to play the full version.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

My starter highwayman died to crits in the last tutorial fight and I haven't seen another one since, I'm about 8 weeks in.

Muraena
Feb 18, 2013

Justice. Honor. Anime~

Shovels are for rubbles.

Shovels also work for cabinets.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

I wrote off the Leper for awhile, but he seems a lot better once you upgrade his skills a few times to eliminate their terrible base accuracy. Status effects, on the other hand, seem way shittier as you get farther in and start doing higher tier missions since everything has such high resistances. The Plague Doctor is so bad when her only useful trick (stunning the backline) doesn't reliably work anymore.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

S.J. posted:

My starter highwayman died to crits in the last tutorial fight and I haven't seen another one since, I'm about 8 weeks in.

Have you upgraded your caravan?

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Tiptoeing a bit around and then camping to relieve a high-stress party would probably also be a good strategy, especially in a dungeon with 2 firewoods you could probably burn off all of everyone's stress and retreat for 0 cost.
I haven't tried it but are there zero consequences for abandoning besides a little stress? So nothing's stopping me from taking a group in, camping to get rid of excessstress, then walking out and taking a relatively small hit?

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Other than your Gamer Honor, not really? There's no time limit.

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

I've been using the Graverobber and, honestly she doesn't seem that bad.

I put her in my 3rd rank and just rain down high crit chance Knives on people, snipe people in the back rows with knives to the face.

But I guess that is just me.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Pierson posted:

I haven't tried it but are there zero consequences for abandoning besides a little stress? So nothing's stopping me from taking a group in, camping to get rid of excessstress, then walking out and taking a relatively small hit?

In addition to the stress you lose whatever supplies you purchased.

Nothing is stopping you from hiring some new adventurers, going into a dungeon with no supplies, abandoning and then booting all those adventurers out of your party, though, other than it being a bit of a pain.

The devs are supposedly looking into cleaning that up a bit. I'm not sure if that means making it more punishing or what.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

TheNabster posted:

I've been using the Graverobber and, honestly she doesn't seem that bad.

I put her in my 3rd rank and just rain down high crit chance Knives on people, snipe people in the back rows with knives to the face.

But I guess that is just me.

My first grave robber was kind of a load that I only brought along when I absolutely needed a fourth body, but after she died I got a replacement whose skill set seems to just click much better.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The game needs lose conditions. If enough weeks go by without going to each kind of dungeon [thing] should happen that makes you want to avoid letting [thing] happen. Maybe pigman attacks the town or hag starts kidnapping town merchants.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

Somebody needs to modify the :xcom: tag for this game

ZeusJupitar
Jul 7, 2009
They're probably going to have to make major changes if they want people to invest in their heroes and keep the tension up. Right now it seems like the only finite resource is the player's patience - you can potentially just through wave after wave of redshirts at the dungeons until they crack or you do.

The alternative would be to reduce the effects of stress, introduce a hiring/firing cost and maybe introduce an x-com style campaign health bar. Something like 'town stress' or 'heir stress' which creeps up when you fail a mission or face insolvency until 'you' the project manager automatically decide that the estate is not your problem.

I've just realised that the player character's family name is 'Darkest'. It's right there in the names; the Darkest Dungeon underneath the Darkest Estate. That's the family name you're trying to redeem.

ZeusJupitar fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Feb 3, 2015

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

ZeusJupitar posted:

I've just realised that the player character's family name is 'Darkest'. It's right there in the names; the Darkest Dungeon underneath the Darkest Estate. That's the family name you're trying to redeem.

You didn't rename it to Dongest? :colbert:

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA
After realizing that I am a dumbass and the bounty hunter benefits from marks other than his own, I have started using one alongside a vulnerability hex occultist. He is cleaning up the Weald singlehandedly. I wish I'd figured this out sooner.

Also just a heads up: if you run from the hag while someone is in the pot, you will lose that person, which...seems kind of obvious in retrospect :doh:

lmao. darkestdungeon.txt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

omeg posted:

You didn't rename it to Dongest? :colbert:

I didn't know the name of your save file was the name of your estate. So now I am the proud owner of the "Roll SAN Checks Erry Day" estate.

Rolls right off the tongue.