Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
revenance
Sep 7, 2003

can you hear the sleepless lullaby?
What is the quickest way to level? I'm doing the IAs, doing regular questing, and waiting forever for dungeon roulette queues, but it still feels slow as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.

revenance posted:

What is the quickest way to level? I'm doing the IAs, doing regular questing, and waiting forever for dungeon roulette queues, but it still feels slow as hell.

I've been doing IAs until about 36 now, and to me it FEELS like dungeons aren't any faster. I did read that story quests might be better, but it's pretty marginal compared to just sticking with IAs.

revenance
Sep 7, 2003

Tamayachi posted:

I've been doing IAs until about 36 now, and to me it FEELS like dungeons aren't any faster. I did read that story quests might be better, but it's pretty marginal compared to just sticking with IAs.

Are IAs better even without the bonus?

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.

revenance posted:

Are IAs better even without the bonus?

I think I do about a full bubble of xp per adventure WITH the patron bonus, so a little over half a bubble per without the bonus. As long as you're not doing Freemarch since you can get stuck doing the stupid Grow A Plant adventure, it's pretty fast. Really I think it boils down to "if you get bored with one, you can switch to dungeons for a while" Like it seems that any method is fine and about the same. Though I don't know about warfronts, but I assume they're about the same too. Honestly I just pop netflix on and do some mindless IA's, but maybe someone else could mention a better method.

EDIT: According to Reddit, questing is the way to go after 3.1 nerfed IA experience.

Shalhavet
Dec 10, 2010

This post is terrible
Doctor Rope
IAs are good because you get a bunch of carnage quests done at the same time. Dungeons are good because you get gear. XP will be slower though, and if you have a lovely tank/healer combo it's going to take even longer. I have no idea about warfronts.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Does bctrainers still run the rift subreddit.

i miss that guy :(

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
I feel the MO bug biting me again, re-installing this through Steam as I post.

I haven't played for loving forever (right after release I think?) it's probably so different I should go in as if I'm learning a new game I bet?

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.

WarLocke posted:

I feel the MO bug biting me again, re-installing this through Steam as I post.

I haven't played for loving forever (right after release I think?) it's probably so different I should go in as if I'm learning a new game I bet?

That's about the last time I played too and I don't feel it to be TOO different, at least the 1-60 leveling. The only thing that feels different is the new DLC souls and the Instant Adventures which is just mindless quest grinding with random people in a zone, usually one of the starter zones.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Tamayachi posted:

That's about the last time I played too and I don't feel it to be TOO different, at least the 1-60 leveling. The only thing that feels different is the new DLC souls and the Instant Adventures which is just mindless quest grinding with random people in a zone, usually one of the starter zones.

I'm sitting here looking through the game's forums and I can't decide which class (calling? whatever) to go with. It's like all the options within each choice make it harder to settle on one. :eng99:

Maybe mage, since they get that Archone raid-buff class and I could also be a pet focused necro dude...

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.

WarLocke posted:

I'm sitting here looking through the game's forums and I can't decide which class (calling? whatever) to go with. It's like all the options within each choice make it harder to settle on one. :eng99:

Maybe mage, since they get that Archone raid-buff class and I could also be a pet focused necro dude...

The forums are pretty godawful for that kind of thing, they really only post endgame builds and even then it's for poo poo from like a year ago. The general feeling I get though is to "Avoid Warrior until they get a buff and avoid Rogue because everybody plays a Rogue." I've been leveling a mage and have been having a blast with Pyromancy so I could suggest that.

Technically, with the most recent Soul pack that you can get with Riftbux, every class can play every role, DPS, Heals or Tank so I don't think it should make too big an impact which one you pick. Or just roll all four like I did :v:

Tamayachi fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jan 31, 2015

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Tamayachi posted:

Technically, with the most recent Soul pack that you can get with Riftbux, every class can play every role, DPS, Heals or Tank so I don't think it should make too big an impact which one you pick. Or just roll all four like I did :v:

Nice, so mages have a tank soul now, warriors get a healing one, etc? Interesting.

Do the racial abilities matter much? Some of the ones like 15-seconds of move speed seem kind of crappy but then you get races who can fly/leap or the dwarves that can not drink as often(whatever that means?) that seem like they might be more useful...

Tom Powers
May 26, 2007
You big dummy!
The only racial that is even slightly useful is the Leap since it lets you get to places nobody else can but even then it's pretty much worthless since oh boy you got an artifact worth practically nothing.

It's cosmetic is what I'm saying.

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.

WarLocke posted:

Nice, so mages have a tank soul now, warriors get a healing one, etc? Interesting.

Do the racial abilities matter much? Some of the ones like 15-seconds of move speed seem kind of crappy but then you get races who can fly/leap or the dwarves that can not drink as often(whatever that means?) that seem like they might be more useful...

I just hit 41 and have not touch my racial ability at all, the group runspeed one. Honestly I forgot I even had it for a while so I don't think they matter too much, picking a race based on aesthetics seems more important.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Tamayachi posted:

I just hit 41 and have not touch my racial ability at all, the group runspeed one. Honestly I forgot I even had it for a while so I don't think they matter too much, picking a race based on aesthetics seems more important.

Yeah right now I am deciding between a Bahmi (because magitech is cool) or Dwarf (because gently caress it bearded dwarf women in full plate with hammers being all battle-cleric is cool too).

Steam needs to hurry up with this download. :f5:

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.

WarLocke posted:

Yeah right now I am deciding between a Bahmi (because magitech is cool) or Dwarf (because gently caress it bearded dwarf women in full plate with hammers being all battle-cleric is cool too).

Steam needs to hurry up with this download. :f5:

Also about that, even though Rift is on Steam, if you download it through Glyph you can play like the first 10 levels or so while it continues downloading in the background, like the Wow downloader.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Is there a particular calling that's better at aoe leveling and/or farming? I vaguely remember clerics (inquisitors) being real popular at one point because you could just gather a bunch of mobs and burn them all down simultaneously. I'm basically down to choosing between clerics and mages.

Like, it doesn't need to be a hardcore deathtractor, but doing the 'kill one guy, do the same rotation on the next guy, sit for a bit to get mana, repeat' thing eventually gets old IME with other MMOs.

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.

WarLocke posted:

Is there a particular calling that's better at aoe leveling and/or farming? I vaguely remember clerics (inquisitors) being real popular at one point because you could just gather a bunch of mobs and burn them all down simultaneously. I'm basically down to choosing between clerics and mages.

Like, it doesn't need to be a hardcore deathtractor, but doing the 'kill one guy, do the same rotation on the next guy, sit for a bit to get mana, repeat' thing eventually gets old IME with other MMOs.

I've been running a Harbinger/Chloro for some good old fashioned melee AoE killing sprees on my mage, mainly for rifts or dongeons since I don't have to worry too much about aggro. In a solo setting, it still holds up pretty well at 40, burning down groups of like 5-6 without feeling too life threatening.

Something like this one http://www.gaiscioch.com/tavern/rift_discussion/post_46416.html

Tamayachi fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jan 31, 2015

Shalhavet
Dec 10, 2010

This post is terrible
Doctor Rope

WarLocke posted:

For a cleric murderbuild while leveling, you'll probably be using Inquisicar or a druid build. Mages will be Chlorbinger or Stormcaller/Elementalist.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Tamayachi posted:

I've been running a Harbinger/Chloro for some good old fashioned melee AoE killing sprees on my mage, mainly for rifts or dongeons since I don't have to worry too much about aggro. In a solo setting, it still holds up pretty well at 40, burning down groups of like 5-6 without feeling too life threatening.

Something like this one http://www.gaiscioch.com/tavern/rift_discussion/post_46416.html

Harb/Chloro/SC owns for soloing. It's a non-stop slaughter.

revenance
Sep 7, 2003

necrotic posted:

Harb/Chloro/SC owns for soloing. It's a non-stop slaughter.

Which packs come with what souls? Their store page only seems to include them in the $150 pack and :lol:

Shalhavet
Dec 10, 2010

This post is terrible
Doctor Rope
They're bought from the in-game store for like $20. It's under services, Dream Soul Pack and Storm Legion souls iirc.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

gently caress this, I let Steam download the game for the last 5 hours or so and when I finally got this Glyph patcher poo poo working it wants me to re-download the entire game? :fuckoff:

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

WarLocke posted:

gently caress this, I let Steam download the game for the last 5 hours or so and when I finally got this Glyph patcher poo poo working it wants me to re-download the entire game? :fuckoff:

It's much better to have the game in glyph, trust me. You will be glad later, as much as it sucks now. Also the glyph client is a streaming client so you can probably start playing while it downloads.

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer

WarLocke posted:

Yeep. That's how it works on Steam before it stops working. (It's actually not that big of a download.)

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Eltoasto posted:

It's much better to have the game in glyph, trust me. You will be glad later, as much as it sucks now. Also the glyph client is a streaming client so you can probably start playing while it downloads.

I wish I had known this before I spent my evening letting Steam download it. :mad:

havent heard a peep
May 29, 2003

When Steve Jobs died it wasn't the first job I'd lost that week.

WarLocke posted:

be a big purple cleric (level with inquisitor)

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

liquidfire posted:

be a big purple cleric (level with inquisitor)

Too late, I'm onlready on Deepwood as Jhaele the Bahmi Mage. So far skeleton pet + DoTs/life leech + token squirrel CC seems to be working pretty well :unsmigghh:

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

About to ask for an invite for Jhaele, posting like OP says to.

Umph
Apr 26, 2008

How is this game going? I played it at release to max level and quit. Is the FTP thing ruining everything? Is goonsquad ((whatever it's called) still around?

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Man, Necromancer/Chloromancer is pretty nuts. Everything around me melts while healing me. :stare:

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.

Umph posted:

How is this game going? I played it at release to max level and quit. Is the FTP thing ruining everything? Is goonsquad ((whatever it's called) still around?

I've been putzing around and leveling, seems fine if not a bit repetitive, at least I'm assuming until I get into the 60+ crowd. Goonsquad itself is usually pretty quiet, I think we tend to have 2-3 members on at night though we have been spiking up to 5 lately! :toot:

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Umph posted:

It's hard to substantiate what F2P really did to the game numbers, development and game quality started sharply declining in Infernal Dawn and Storm Legion raids were pretty good at driving out player numbers.

I don't think 2-3 top tier NA guilds survived the expac but I can't substantiate that.

Goonsquad stopped raiding way before that, but the guild exists. Can someone confirm/deny that the monument to me is still up?

Zoness fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Feb 3, 2015

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Zoness posted:

It's hard to substantiate what F2P really did to the game numbers, development and game quality started sharply declining in Infernal Dawn and Storm Legion raids were pretty good at driving out player numbers.

I don't think 2-3 top tier NA guilds survived the expac but I can't substantiate that.

Goonsquad stopped raiding way before that, but the guild exists. Can someone confirm/deny that the monument to me is still up?

Ahh the gently caress Zoness truck, it was so beautiful :911:

The game seems to have a healthy population, it just doesn't include many goons. I spent my rift patron money on archeage instead and that uh...didn't go so well.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Eltoasto posted:

Ahh the gently caress Zoness truck, it was so beautiful :911:

The game seems to have a healthy population, it just doesn't include many goons. I spent my rift patron money on archeage instead and that uh...didn't go so well.

I blame the guild I was in for ruining Archeage, and I didn't even play that game!

Actually I blame Archeage for being a bad game.

Umph
Apr 26, 2008

It's a shame how short the shelve life on MMOS is now besides EVE. Eve you can go back to 3 years later and everyones still there. We had so many goons in rift there had to be 3 guilds IIRC. Plus there really isn't another game to go to right now. Off topic: Wildstar is dead, Rift is dead, what are goons playing? Elder Scrolls?

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Umph posted:

It's a shame how short the shelve life on MMOS is now besides EVE. Eve you can go back to 3 years later and everyones still there. We had so many goons in rift there had to be 3 guilds IIRC. Plus there really isn't another game to go to right now. Off topic: Wildstar is dead, Rift is dead, what are goons playing? Elder Scrolls?

Goons abandon a game after a month and declare it dead no matter what pretty much. Last night in GW2 the 2 goon guilds had about 90 people on between them, and I think FFXIV has really high numbers too. I think GW2 is the best value out there, but it's a bit of a change from the trinity and raiding.

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.

Umph posted:

ESO is going F2P pretty soon but I feel like it'll suffer the same ailment as other MMOs where if there are goons playing it'll filter down to just a handful. WoW, GW2 and EVE I think are the top 3 right now.

EDIT: Oh yeah, FFXIV too.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

If Mechwarrior Online can have a goon revival, Rift sure as hell can. :colbert:

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Umph posted:

I tried really hard with Wildstar :(.

Eventually we (the few of us in addiction who stuck around until the bitter end in wildstar) gave up and moved to WoW because rip other raiding games, and I can only come to the conclusion that no interesting raid mmo can exist along WoW. I guess FFXIV counts but according to my old TI pals it's hardly raid content, but 8 mans are definitely a goon friendly structure.

vandiar posted:

Honk honk gently caress zoness.

I found this image and I will treasure it forever or until this thread / my bookmarks die.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Feb 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

FFXIV raids are really fun, mostly because 8 people is a nice number and you don't have to deal with the dickbaggery that's 20 people for mythic (rip 10man raiding).

• Locked thread