Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

McSpanky posted:

In Ruins everything sucks because Warren Ellis is an immature shithead wherever capes are concerned.

Oh come on, it's not like he's Garth Ennis. Ellis is a snide shithead wherever capes are concerned. But sometimes that works! Like Thunderbolts, and other stuff I can't remember but probably exists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
The existance of Garth Ennis makes Ellis' cape work a lot better comparitively. At least Black Summer is really, really great even if Supergods and No Hero weren't.

Commissar Of Doom
Apr 21, 2009
Those had some great ideas and are worth reading though.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Cabbit posted:

Oh come on, it's not like he's Garth Ennis. Ellis is a snide shithead wherever capes are concerned. But sometimes that works! Like Thunderbolts, and other stuff I can't remember but probably exists.

Ultimate Fantastic Four was great. N.E.X.T.Wave is top tier Ellis.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Cabbit posted:

He can do capes at face value, too. Planetary is loving amazing, for instance. Ellis' best work definitely isn't cape stuff, though.

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

I done turned 'er head into a slug an' now she's a-stucked!

Bohemian Nights posted:

He can do capes at face value, too. Planetary is loving amazing, for instance.

Planetary had evil Fantastic Four though. That doesn't seem much like 'capes at face value' to me.

Commissar Of Doom
Apr 21, 2009
It inspired the Hickman fantastic 4 run so it's amazing 8mho

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

THE TERRIBLE POST WENT THATAWAY!

Daktar posted:

Planetary had evil Fantastic Four though. That doesn't seem much like 'capes at face value' to me.

Evil Fantastic Four who killed not-Superman when he was a baby, wiped out not-Wonder Woman and her civilisation and ripped out the ring from not-Green Lantern's chest. oh and they blackmailed not-Nick Fury into working for them.

Planetary was pulps and pulp-sci-fi with just a soupçon of capes rather than a cape comic. As for Ruins I kind of like it now, but I read it as taking the piss out of nitpicking comic nerds by pointing out how horrifically wrong their favourite comic origins could have gone. First time I read it though I was pretty annoyed with the attempt to create a cynical nihilistic counterpoint to the hopeful tone of Marvels.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Evil Fantastic Four apparently killed some Marvel heroes as well. Captain America's shield was among their weapons, also possibly the infinity gauntlet and maybe Thor's hammer?

Say Nothing fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Feb 3, 2015

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

Wildstorm did have its own Captain America, the constantly reincarnating soul of George Washington.

There he is killing Hitler.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Vengeance of Pandas posted:

Wildstorm did have its own Captain America, the constantly reincarnating soul of George Washington.

There he is killing Hitler.

I don't know if this is a fair comparison, but nothing says "patriotic hero" to me like a flag tattooed on your face.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Cabbit posted:

Oh come on, it's not like he's Garth Ennis.

WickedHate posted:

The existance of Garth Ennis makes Ellis' cape work a lot better comparitively.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe
Ellis's recent run on moon knight was pretty good.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I enjoyed it, but there was nothing about it that was specifically Moon Knight. It just felt like Ellis was given the assignment and then just took some stories out of his files and stuck Moon Knight in them.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Endless Mike posted:

I enjoyed it, but there was nothing about it that was specifically Moon Knight. It just felt like Ellis was given the assignment and then just took some stories out of his files and stuck Moon Knight in them.

Maybe that's not a bad thing. His six issue run was one of the best comics I've ever read and everything after he left has sucked.

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

prefect posted:

I don't know if this is a fair comparison, but nothing says "patriotic hero" to me like a flag tattooed on your face.

Well he was patriotic to the idea of America rather than the country. So he attacked Wall Street, destroyed the records of various major banks, shot a senator in the head and killed the Supreme Court Justices before they were able to stop him.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Endless Mike posted:

I don't know, the fact that Khonshu is the god of - among other things - nighttime travelers seemed to really inform several of those issues. He had Moon Knight kicking rear end for particular reasons, not just for the hell of it. The only issue that felt really forced, to me, was the "let's do The Raid as a comic book" issue but that issue was loving awesome so who cares.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

McSpanky posted:

In Ruins everything sucks because Warren Ellis is an immature shithead wherever capes are concerned.

You are so dumb it's almost endearing. Almost.

Bastard
Jul 13, 2001

We are each responsible for our own destiny.

Vengeance of Pandas posted:

Well he was patriotic to the idea of America rather than the country. So he attacked Wall Street, destroyed the records of various major banks, shot a senator in the head and killed the Supreme Court Justices before they were able to stop him.

Also, he was the reincarnating soul of George Washington.

Edit: misread the part where that was already said :downs:

Bastard fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Feb 2, 2015

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
Ruins is really the epitome of childish faux-maturity. It's like a greasy little trenchcoated manchild having a huff about how everything sincere and optimistic's for babies, man. Without Marvels, it wouldn't exist, and it didn't really need to.

I'm also going to voice the unpopular opinion that Planetary is really self-indulgent. It's one of those comics-about-comics metawanks that has difficulty reaching any reader not already drenched in comic trivia. Because it's so meta, and so reactionary, it ends up with no coherent universe or stakes. It's cool moments are overshadowed by the fact that they happen in a complete vacuum.

But this is the Badass thread, not the comic putdown thread, so let's post some panels!

Ragnarok #3

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Squidster posted:

Ruins is really the epitome of childish faux-maturity. It's like a greasy little trenchcoated manchild having a huff about how everything sincere and optimistic's for babies, man. Without Marvels, it wouldn't exist, and it didn't really need to.

I'm also going to voice the unpopular opinion that Planetary is really self-indulgent. It's one of those comics-about-comics metawanks that has difficulty reaching any reader not already drenched in comic trivia. Because it's so meta, and so reactionary, it ends up with no coherent universe or stakes. It's cool moments are overshadowed by the fact that they happen in a complete vacuum.

But this is the Badass thread, not the comic putdown thread, so let's post some panels!

Ragnarok #3

Is that Simonson writing Undead Thor? :sbahj:

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!
Welp guess I'm buying that.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Squidster posted:

It's one of those comics-about-comics metawanks that has difficulty reaching any reader not already drenched in comic trivia.

I don't really agree with that. Planetary is one of the comics I've sold the most, and I've gotten plenty of positive response from non-cape readers who read Planetary and loved it- often people who generally steer clear of superhero comics and don't give a poo poo about "metawanking", whatever the that is supposed to be.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
I'm not going to lie to you - Ragnarok is incredibly loving metal on every page. Every splash panel could be an album cover.

Bohemian Nights posted:

I don't really agree with that. Planetary is one of the comics I've sold the most, and I've gotten plenty of positive response from non-cape readers who read Planetary and loved it- often people who generally steer clear of superhero comics and don't give a poo poo about "metawanking", whatever the that is supposed to be.
I feel like every issue was just references to cooler stories, with an often unnecessary dark twist. It's like an Epic/Scary Movie parody - "remember this cool thing? Haha, what if like, he got cancer and died? Haha he's a pervert" level stuff. It didn't add anything new, and it heavily relies on the readers having identical cultural experiences to the author.

Some of the more widespread stuff - Lovecraft, Batman, Holmes, still sort of hit, but if you aren't familiar with the Fantastic Four, the villains simply don't have any characterization in the books. Like fanfic, the author assumes we don't need it.

The art's gorgeous, though.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Sentinel Red posted:

You are so dumb it's almost endearing. Almost.

I realized it was a gross generalization as soon as I typed it, but I don't care because really, gently caress Ruins.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Squidster posted:

I feel like every issue was just references to cooler stories, with an often unnecessary dark twist. It's like an Epic/Scary Movie parody - "remember this cool thing? Haha, what if like, he got cancer and died? Haha he's a pervert" level stuff. It didn't add anything new, and it heavily relies on the readers having identical cultural experiences to the author.
That whole archeology of secrets thing made Planetary a riff on pop media developed in the 20th century. Kind of the way LXG did. Every issue is definitely predicated on a particular style . I think that made the series fun.

Drums was a pretty good take on 'connected' culture, though.

BlackCircle
Oct 21, 2005

I did Nazi that butt coming

Squidster posted:

I'm not going to lie to you - Ragnarok is incredibly loving metal on every page. Every splash panel could be an album cover.

There was also the pages in issue 2 where Thor is calling to Mjolnir while kicking the poo poo out of a bunch of assassins which is probably just as badass as the pages you posted above.

Ragnarok is really loving good.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

BlackCircle posted:

There was also the pages in issue 2 where Thor is calling to Mjolnir while kicking the poo poo out of a bunch of assassins which is probably just as badass as the pages you posted above.

Ragnarok is really loving good.

Where can I buy it in dead tree format online?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Say Nothing posted:

Evil Fantastic Four apparently killed some Marvel heroes as well. Captain America's shield was among their weapons, also possibly the infinity gauntlet and maybe Thor's hammer?

It also inspired this great edit:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Honestly, that would be better with the original text.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

Honestly, that would be better with the original text.

How dare you boil the Hostess Fruit Pie down to being a mere weapon?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Well they're sure as hell nothing I would want to eat.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Endless Mike posted:

Well they're sure as hell nothing I would want to eat.

I once tried Hostess Fruit Pie as a child simply because of the ads.

They were nasty.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

SirDan3k posted:

I once tried Hostess Fruit Pie as a child simply because of the ads.

They were nasty.

And they're like 500 calories a pop too. That's a small meal, and it's all sugar.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

CzarChasm posted:

And they're like 500 calories a pop too. That's a small meal, and it's all sugar.

Quick, convenient ENERGY!

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Sigma-X posted:

Everything else seems comical, the "embarass the gently caress out of him" part is the only part that seems reasonable. "Give him a bat to even the odds" and "injure him exactly enough to subdue him without causing any serious injuries" are the bullshit manuevers there.

To be fair here Gordon did, earlier, make special mention of watching how Flass fought and, you'll note, that the first punch we see Gordon throw is after Flass has swung the bat (and both miss) if Flass primarily threw jabs in fights, and if Gordon knew that Flass would swing away, and if Gordon was supremely confident that he could duck every swing of the bat, than throwing him a bat would not be a terrible idea: he negates Flass's quickness and throws him off balance for extra openings he wouldn't normally have.

In superhero terms it'd be like Lex Luthor tricking some big eyed orphans into giving Superman a prop plane he'd be obligated to use so Luthor could escape easier.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Duke Igthorn posted:

In superhero terms it'd be like Lex Luthor tricking some big eyed orphans into giving Superman a prop plane he'd be obligated to use so Luthor could escape easier.

I am visualizing this as a cover to a Silver Age story and love it.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
It'd be another Superdickery cover, with wailing orphans yelling WHY ARE YOU BURNING DOWN OUR ORPHANAGE? and Superman going "I MUST DESTROY THESE CHILDREN'S DREAMS! OR ELSE!!!!!"

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
You know what is bad rear end, it's a super cyborg fighting a super ninja

onepunch man 43

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Flesh Forge posted:

You know what is bad rear end, it's a super cyborg fighting a super ninja

onepunch man 43

Oh hey a OPM post to remind me it's been like a year since I checked for updates. There goes my afternoon.