Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Was the customer on board with this whole plan i take it? That's a good story your dad walked that fine line between being best/worst dad like a boss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

thathonkey posted:

Was the customer on board with this whole plan i take it? That's a good story your dad walked that fine line between being best/worst dad like a boss
Yep. The customer hopped right in the forklift and started driving it like this arrangement was just a perfectly normal thing.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

like a loving boss

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Crazy Ted posted:

I'm way beaten on this but holy :stare:

My dumb OSHA story:

When I was about 13 years old I was with my dad while he was running errands and he had to stop in to the warehouse of the pool table and general pub/fun game place he works at. There was a customer there who was picking up a pool table or something that he had to put together. However, for some reason it was stacked on top of the warehouse shelving in an area where the forklift couldn't get the forks underneath it and lift it up. This customer worked in construction, so my father, in his infinite wisdom, had the customer get in the forklift and drive it, and my dad stood on the two forks of the forklift as it lifted him about eight feet in the air. Then, he bent over and slid the table onto the forklift, then stood on the pool table that was on the forklift while the customer turned the forklift around and lowered the table.

I didn't know much about jobs or workplace standards or anything like that yet, but I was old enough to know that what I was seeing was absolutely ridiculous.

If the forklift couldn't manipulate it how did it get up there in the first place?

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

haveblue posted:

If the forklift couldn't manipulate it how did it get up there in the first place?
I'm guessing some other really dumb poo poo was done to get it up there.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
warehouse was built around it duh
(or they initially had a different forklift)

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
http://i.imgur.com/kDjnAQu.gif

Linked for size.

Say Nothing fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Feb 1, 2015

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
i was wondering why my brand new intel cpu with tons of ram and poo poo was having so much trouble putting that animation sequence together.

20 loving megabyte GIF dude? cruel.

that being said though... "hey that trailer looks kind of dangerous but i see stuff like that all the oh-- :stare:"

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
http://i.imgur.com/kDjnAQu.gifv

enjoy your saved bandwidth

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Amazing payoff

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

that give is like the computer version of most of the ladders posted in this thread

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

http://i.imgur.com/QhyxvRQ.webm
nonononono.webm

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Dammit James!

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Oh, that'll buff out.

erosion
Dec 21, 2002

It's true and I'm tired of pretending it isn't
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHlLeWA1MfM

Not a jay peg

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Randy was an rear end in a top hat and he had it coming, no regrets. :colbert:

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Say Nothing posted:

Dammit James!

Let me tell you about the checking of firearms barrels and how James May was correct, actually...
|/
:spergin:

Poop Cupcake
Dec 31, 2005

Wasabi the J posted:

That is the least of my company's power issues.

Holy poo poo this looks almost exactly like a computer repair place I used to work at. The wiring was terrifying. The guy that did the wiring was one of the guys that worked there; a dropout drug addict that wore the same clothes for weeks at a time without washing them. He ripped some holes in contractor's garbage bags and swaddled himself in them while he was running cables so fiberglass insulation wouldn't irritate his skin. Never mind that his face, neck, and arms were totally unprotected. He looked like a boss out of an old Mega Man game or something that should have been called Garbage Man. That became his nickname until he finally got fired for stealing cash out of the register.

He was 'testing' some of the power lines and accidentally blew up a multimeter. The power flickered off and the entire place smelled like burning PCBs.

The fire inspector just shook his head and walked past it when we were getting inspected. He knew it wouldn't make a drat bit of difference if he cited the store owner or not.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

It seems like having a safety-averse rear end in a top hat die in a horrible accident was the best thing that ever happened to workplace safety at that place. Makes you think...

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

ABC News posted:

A Delta Air Lines flight heading from Minneapolis to Las Vegas was forced to make an emergency landing today after the pilot was locked out of the cockpit, airport officials said.

The call about Flight 1651 came in around 12:10 p.m. and the plane landed safely at McCarran International Airport around 12:25 p.m., officials told ABC affiliate KTNV.

The cockpit door malfunctioned, locking the pilot out of the cockpit, airport officials told KTNV, noting that the first officer made the landing.

"About half way through [the 2.5-hour flight] there seemed to be some talking at the front of the plane. You could see the captain out there," passenger Jesse Dougherty told ABC News. "There wasn't a huge panic but some confusion."

The captain explained to the passengers that the door was jammed and he couldn't get back in, Dougherty said, adding: "It was very, very bizarre."

When the first officer made the landing "perfectly," the passengers broke out into spontaneous applause, Dougherty said.

Because the first officer was accustomed to the controls on the right seat of the cockpit, he remained there, the crew explained to passengers. That meant the only issue was a lack of taxiing controls once on the ground, necessitating a tow from the runway to the gate, Dougherty said.

No one was injured and there were 168 people on board the plane, officials said.

The source of the jammed door was a piece of string that was found near the door by the maintenance crew, passenger Jonathan Thalacker told ABC News.

:stonklol:

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

It's like a safety soap opera. Awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osy2cGfmEAQ

I don't know what happened here, but I'm pretty sure that thing's not supposed to do what it did.

I'm waiting for planes to have some kind of emergency self-land functionality.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I looked up this poem and found a site that had it and linked to an original version of the video (without those Vietnamese subs).

The video didn't work anymore. Taken offline because of a copyright claim by 'ERI Safety Videos'.

It makes me sad that we live in a world where copyright law is considered more important than sharing powerful safety information vids like this one with as many people as possible.

KennyLoggins
Dec 3, 2004
Welcome to the Danger Zone

Say Nothing posted:

Dammit James!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9umwdE8VoY

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Reminds me of a classic safety film. Get ready to shake hands with danger! *guitar riff*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_gEVILWVUM

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Three-Phase posted:

It's like a safety soap opera. Awesome.

I don't know what happened here, but I'm pretty sure that thing's not supposed to do what it did.

They can land on their own.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Reminds me of a classic safety film. Get ready to shake hands with danger! *guitar riff*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_gEVILWVUM

The guy holding the wrench isn't even a freeze frame, he just had to hold pose for a few seconds so they could superimpose a logo later.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Three-Phase posted:

They already do.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

My job (and probably tons of others) has this as required viewing before you can do anything.

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

Why not let gravity take over and do it's job? They bought their tickets, they knew what they were getting into. I say, let 'em crash!

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Horse Divorce posted:

Why not let gravity take over and do it's job? They bought their tickets, they knew what they were getting into. I say, let 'em crash!

I automatically read it in his voice.

ChrisHansen
Oct 28, 2014

Suck my damn balls.
Lipstick Apathy

suffix posted:

Pin boys had a pretty osha worthy job.
Back before bowling alleys had automatic arm-mangling pinsetters, you just had people in the back setting up pins and returning the ball.

This involved dodging flying pins and probably the occasional drunk-thrown bowling ball. A perfect way for small boys to earn some pocket change and build character.

My grandad still tells stories about his first job as a pin boy. He said that off duty military guys would throw a handful of change across all of the alleys and watch all the little kids fight over it

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Disappointed this was not a link to airframe parachutes.

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

Where not to start excavating when the ground is saturated with water.
Bridge in southern Norway started collapsing when a mudslide moved the foundations during rush hour today. The bridge was full of cars at the time.
The earthmover in the bottom of the pic may be the cause.

This'll be a pain, traffic will have to be diverted for months.

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

that's a pretty good end result for the keywords "bridge full of cars mudslide collapse"

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

seemed like that bridge was just waiting for an excuse to start falling over anyway

erosion
Dec 21, 2002

It's true and I'm tired of pretending it isn't

Capntastic posted:

My job (and probably tons of others) has this as required viewing before you can do anything.

Yeah I just watched it Friday for the first time. Decent acting, especially the "RANDY" skyward screams.

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

"Hey we need this table"
"But I'ts holding up"
"Taking it!"

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Three-Phase posted:

I really like the guy who walks about a foot in front of the initial fire.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Haruharuharuko posted:

"Hey we need this table"
"But I'ts holding up"
"Taking it!"

the cable screws in, it will be fine geez.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

• Locked thread