Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lurker1981
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW

alnilam posted:

What even the gently caress?? Is this some new Robin Pan or :confused:

I think it has more to do with Obama's failures as a politician.

To be fair, even if he were white, historians would still consider him to be a failure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Duke Igthorn posted:

Yeah, remermber when he made that "I'll NEVER blindly trust the government ever again! I sure learned my lesson after Iraq" cartoon after Obama was elected but 6-7 years after the war was started? His total personal transformation sure had GREAT timing!

I know it's not the most we could ask for, and he's still an rear end, but being able to say "i was wrong about gay marriage, i was stuck in my old ways, i still kind of am tbh but I'm sorry" is a million times better than we could ever expect from most of the other cartoonists here. I have at least a modicum of respect for Stantis for being at all capable of recanting/apologizing, even if it's mediocre.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Glad to see the academy finally giving Measles the respect it deserves.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
How did the anti-vaxx movement start to begin with?

lurker1981
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW

Mister Beeg posted:

Some folks thought that mental retardation was a result of receiving vaccinations for fatal diseases, instead of things like smoking crack, shooting up heroin, smoking tobacco cigarettes, or consuming alcohol while pregnant,.

Presumably, the folks that think this are the same folks that want their genetic line to literally go extinct as a result of their own mental retardation.

(Fortunately, in the USA, we have something called welfare that is designed to keep mentally and genetically defective folks alive so that they can continue to breed and bring down our average IQ. Eventually, having an IQ of 190 will mean you are smart enough to not starve to death.)

lurker1981 fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Feb 3, 2015

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Mister Beeg posted:

People paranoid at what pharmaceutical companies may put in the vaccines seems to be the most semi-defensible root cause that anyone with a modicum of sense doesn't just immediately dismiss as bullshit. It gained groundswell when idiots like Jenny McCarthy started attributing poo poo like autism to vaccinations.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Mister Beeg posted:

Looking into it, people have been worrying about vaccines for different reasons for... about as long as there have been vaccines.

It got really big when that guy published the bullshit study linking autism to vaccines thought.

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

Mister Beeg posted:

A crooked scientist trying to pedal his special MMR vaccine

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Mister Beeg posted:

A doctor in England wanted to sell a new kind of vaccine he held the patent for, so he faked a study that linked the old kind to autism (specifically, the chemicals used preserve the vaccines, which contained minute amounts of mercury). It was somehow published in as actual medical journal, though it's since been fully discredited and retracted.

Of course, that hasn't effected the anti vaxx movement asset all because it's based more on a vague fear of UNKNOWN SUBSTANCES going into YOUR CHILD'S BODY as this point.

e: f;b, also please forgive the typos I'm phone posting.

Begemot fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Feb 3, 2015

Cpt.Americant
Mar 30, 2010

Mister Beeg posted:

Autism diagnosis rates have been going up over the decades. This is mostly due to us understanding autism better and being able to diagnose it more easily than before. But autism has two coincidences: (1) the rates began going up at roughly the same time mass vaccination started and (2) autism diagnoses happen shortly after the age when children get most of their vaccinations. Then, one guy published a false study (for which he was literally sent to jail for fraud over) that linked the two and the hysteria took over from there.

Not to mention there's CHEMICALS! in vaccines, so clearly it can't be safe.

lurker1981
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW
^^^^^ - It's possible that "autism" in some forms has arisen as a sort of survival instinct, as the radical opposites have resulted in the proliferation of various viruses. AKA (Also Known As) STD's, or Sexually Transmitted Diseases, for those of you that didn't graduate from high school.

Begemot posted:

A doctor in England wanted to sell a new kind of vaccine he held the patent for, so he faked a study that linked the old kind to autism (specifically, the chemicals used preserve the vaccines, which contained minute amounts of mercury). It was somehow published in as actual medical journal, though it's since been fully discredited and retracted.

Of course, that hasn't effected the anti vaxx movement asset all because it's based more on a vague fear of UNKNOWN SUBSTANCES going into YOUR CHILD'S BODY as this point.

e: f;b, also please forgive the typos I'm phone posting.

If I were concerned about random variables potentially altering my DNA and RNA, I wouldn't bother being alive.

I mean, I would, like, totally, hahahahahaha, kill myself, if I like, care about such things. I am such an American.

lurker1981 fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Feb 3, 2015

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Curious, is there actually a substantial link between the measles outbreak and anti-vaxxers, specifically?

I mean I believe the anti-vax movement is in danger of causing serious social harm in the future, I'm just curious if there's an obvious link in this particular case, or if people are seizing on the outbreak to diss anti-vaxxers.

Also my grandma lost a pregnancy and almost died in the 1930s, and can't walk now, because of polio. In the spirit of my grandma I will refrain from telling the anti-vaxxers where they should go or where they can stick their falsified medical studies, but I certainly hope they learn their lesson soon. I'm also very glad I didn't have to live through a polio epidemic.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Measles was literally eliminated from the US before anti-vaxxers managed to lower the vaccination rate to a point where outbreaks could spread, so yeah I'd say it's pretty clear they're responsible.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on David Cameron and the war on mediocrity – Prime minister sets out plans to sack headteachers at coasting schools in what he terms an ‘all-out war on mediocrity’"

Telegraph:

Bronze sculptures 'may be by Michelangelo'; Nicky Morgan rejects claim Gove still driving education

Independent:

Times:

Kim Sears supports fiance Andy Murray in 'Explicit Content' T-shirt

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

alnilam posted:

Curious, is there actually a substantial link between the measles outbreak and anti-vaxxers, specifically?

This article has quite a bit of data on the subject.

also a friend of mine drew a local state comic

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

alnilam posted:

"The California patients range in age from 7 months to 70 years. The vaccination status is known for 39 of the patients. Of those, 32 were unvaccinated, one had received partial vaccination and seven were fully vaccinated."

BONUS: Roald Dahl's heartbreaking letter about the measles vaccine.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Okay yeah a figure like "most of the affected were unvaccinated" was what I was looking for. Welp.

e: The fact that some of the affected were vaccinated is also really telling anecdotal support for the "herd immunity" idea - in other words, you are not just "taking a personal risk" if you don't get vaccinated, you are being an rear end in a top hat and endangering others. (e2: also it's not even a "personal" risk in this case, it's a risk parents are imposing on their child :argh:)

alnilam fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Feb 3, 2015

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Duke Igthorn posted:

Yeah, remermber when he made that "I'll NEVER blindly trust the government ever again! I sure learned my lesson after Iraq" cartoon after Obama was elected but 6-7 years after the war was started? His total personal transformation sure had GREAT timing!

That was great though when it resulted in his schizophrenic ISIS arc from last fall. The man couldn't even keep his characters and message consistent from day to day in the same week: one day that bumbling Obama was ignoring the threat despite conservative black girl's dire warnings that ISIS was on their way to America to butcher us all, the next it was all a manufactured crisis by that villanous Obama with conservative black girl asking why we're going back to war with ISIS instead of spending that money on demostic issues here at home.

lurker1981
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW

alnilam posted:

Okay yeah a figure like "most of the affected were unvaccinated" was what I was looking for. Welp.

Are you saying that most of the people affected by measles were unvaccinated?

WTF?

This is like some kind of joke story from the novel "Brave New World".

We should force everyone to be vaccinated so as to ensure the survival of the human race. And we should do what we can do to allow obviously genetically defective folks to continue to breed, because... um... well, this is loving America, and we don't reward you for being the best and the brightest over here.

If you want that, go to China.

lurker1981 fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Feb 3, 2015

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

Cloud Potato posted:

:britain:

Independent:

Wish I taught maths so I could put this in the classroom, it's wonderful.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

lurker1981 posted:

Are you saying that most of the people affected by measles were unvaccinated?

WTF?

This is like some kind of joke story from the novel "Brave New World".

We should force everyone to be vaccinated so as to ensure the survival of the human race.

I'm not really sure what you're getting at here, but vaccines aren't 100% effective, and there's a highly non-linear relationship between vaccination rate and probability of outbreak. It's possible that an outbreak could happen in a fully vaccinated community, but highly, highly unlikely; having 10% fewer people be vaccinated raises chance of outbreak by more than 10%, etc. That's what I was curious about in this case. And it appears that the outbreak took hold because of un-vaccinated people, and went on to spread to vaccinated people, so yeah, case in point that "choosing not to vaccinate" endangers people other than just your own child.

e: gently caress it we're all on the same side here (I hope), i don't mean to sound combative. Vaccinate your drat children people

alnilam fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Feb 3, 2015

lurker1981
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW

alnilam posted:

I'm not really sure what you're getting at here, but vaccines aren't 100% effective, and there's a highly non-linear relationship between vaccination rate and probability of outbreak. It's possible that an outbreak could happen in a fully vaccinated community, but highly, highly unlikely; having 10% fewer people be vaccinated raises chance of outbreak by more than 10%, etc. That's what I was curious about in this case. And it appears that the outbreak took hold because of un-vaccinated people, and went on to spread to vaccinated people, so yeah, case in point that "choosing not to vaccinate" endangers people other than just your own child.

You literally just said vaccines are not 100% effective, but you also mentioned that... WTF, you are literally killing your own argument.

Vaccines save lives. Don't be the next Hitler.

edit: edited to accommodate what I think might be a stealth edit.

VVVVV - There was a time when survival was limited to the fittest. It is fortunate that this is no longer the case. Can you imagine a society where only the smartest and strongest were allowed to survive? That would be such a loving ABOMINATION in modern society.

lurker1981 fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Feb 3, 2015

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Consider also the fact that very young children and people with compromised immune systems cannot get the vaccine, and are very vulnerable to the virus.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

lurker1981 posted:

You literally just said vaccines are not 100% effective, but you also mentioned that... WTF, you are literally killing your own argument.

Um, you're the one who's not making much sense here man. Yeah, vaccines are not 100% effective, not seeing how that's killing his arguement?

Schnedwob
Feb 28, 2014

my legs are okay
Dees Dump!

Here we see noted vaccinator Bill Gates W.H.O. preparing a group of African kids for their daily dose of... skull juice? I'm just going by the label.

This one doesn't quite make as much sense, because if the kids were afflicted with autism, they'd be inside playing Minecraft instead.

Who let an infant into the skull/needle factory? Seems the International Zionist Satanist Illuminati has been cutting their security budget.

Those poor, poor stock photos. The kids in the back seem happy enough, though.

Thanks, Obola.

E: did nobody else start ignoring lurker1981 after reading this?

lurker1981 posted:

It's possible that "autism" in some forms has arisen as a sort of survival instinct, as the radical opposites have resulted in the proliferation of various viruses. AKA (Also Known As) STD's, or Sexually Transmitted Diseases, for those of you that didn't graduate from high school.

Schnedwob fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Feb 3, 2015

lurker1981
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW

InequalityGodzilla posted:

Um, you're the one who's not making much sense here man. Yeah, vaccines are not 100% effective, not seeing how that's killing his arguement?

The other guy was basically saying that vaccines weren't 100% effective, so vaccines were stupid and unnecessary.

Are you arguing FOR or AGAINST vaccinations?

That would make it easier to have a discussion with you.

edit: Firefox comes with an auto-correcting dictionary feature. I recommend you use it. It will make you appear more intellectual.

Schnedwob posted:

You are offended by the implication that you engage in inappropriate sexual activities?

I didn't even direct that at you.

Would you like to defend yourself, or just stick your head in the sand?

Can you possibly sound more ignorant?

lurker1981 fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Feb 3, 2015

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

lurker1981 posted:

VVVVV - There was a time when survival was limited to the fittest. It is fortunate that this is no longer the case. Can you imagine a society where only the smartest and strongest were allowed to survive? That would be such a loving ABOMINATION in modern society.

I don't think you get what I'm saying at all?

Vaccines are really good.
The more people who get the vaccine, the less likely an outbreak is to take hold. At a certain point of vaccination rate, an outbreak becomes virtually impossible, even though some percentage of the vaccinated people could still technically be infected, because vaccines are not 100% effective - meaning, you can get the vaccine, and there is a small chance you could still get the disease.
Also, as someone else pointed out, not everyone is able to get the vaccine.

I guess one of the points I'm making is some people make an individualist argument against vaccinations - "it's my choice, and if I get [disease] that's my own fault, and I'm okay with that" - but those people are actually endangering the community at large, because the vaccine is not 100% effective, and plus not everyone is able to get it.

So with the measles outbreak, all I was wondering was - was this one directly tied to non-vaccinated people? I was curious because there's not a ton of data out there for the effect of small, un-vaccinated populations on the broader vaccinated population. However, this case of measles appears to add evidence to the idea that yes, un-vaccinated populations increase the danger to vaccinated populations (as well as, obviously, themselves).

I don't get how any of this is controversial or eugenic :confused:

e: ^^^ thank you for the Dees dump

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Schnedwob posted:

Thanks, Obola.

holy poo poo MSG

makes stuff good, come on, how can you hate on it?

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

lurker1981 posted:

The other guy was basically saying that vaccines weren't 100% effective, so vaccines were stupid and unnecessary.

You are offended by the implication that you engage in inappropriate sexual activities?

I don't think he was saying that at all, lurker1981

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Vaccines are great because that means more people aren't getting sick. The more healthy people there are, the more healthy, delicious, fatty flesh there are to feast on. You ever try eating diseased human flesh? Good way to get the runs, and that's if you're lucky. Vaccinate your kids: they help protect everyone else and they help make sure things that eat human flesh never have to worry about going hungry.

lurker1981
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW

Exclamation Marx posted:

I don't think he was saying that at all, lurker1981

What part are you referring to, and who are you referring to, since my quote mentioned two different people?

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

lurker1981 posted:

edit: Firefox comes with an auto-correcting dictionary feature. I recommend you use it. It will make you appear more intellectual.

Haha holy poo poo. Okay dude, it's obvious you're kind of in your own little world right now, I'll just leave you to it.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

pkfan2004 posted:

Vaccines are great because that means more people aren't getting sick. The more healthy people there are, the more healthy, delicious, fatty flesh there are to feast on. You ever try eating diseased human flesh? Good way to get the runs, and that's if you're lucky. Vaccinate your kids: they help protect everyone else and they help make sure things that eat human flesh never have to worry about going hungry.

Finally a voice of reason in this discussion.

Schnedwob
Feb 28, 2014

my legs are okay

lurker1981 posted:

What part are you referring to, and who are you referring to, since my quote mentioned two different people?

I just thought you were jumping to conclusions (those conclusions being that everyone else in the thread was a big ignorant baby who doesn't know acronyms) and you've jumped to another by assuming I'm a- ugh- decadent sex-haver.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

lurker1981 posted:

both parts, but specifically the first

lurker1981
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW

InequalityGodzilla posted:

Haha holy poo poo. Okay dude, it's obvious you're kind of in your own little world right now, I'll just leave you to it.

The world exists outside of yours.

I know it is hard to believe, but it is true.

I can't believe I spent $10 to debate poo poo with folks that either haven't graduated from high school, or paid someone else to complete their college courses for them. This was actually a thing as of 2012 in the military.

It's hilarious how many minorities only managed to obtain their rank because people like me did their work for them.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Allen Wren posted:

holy poo poo MSG

makes stuff good, come on, how can you hate on it?

It's also the source of a ton of cheap jokes

"Captain, a giant banana is eating Beijing! It's eaten Hong Kong! It's eaten Shanghai! What'll we do, Captain?"

"Wait two hours, then it'll be hungry again. You know how it is with Chinese food!"

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

lurker1981 posted:

The world exists outside of yours.

I know it is hard to believe, but it is true.

I can't believe I spent $10 to debate poo poo with folks that either haven't graduated from high school, or paid someone else to complete their college courses for them. This was actually a thing as of 2012 in the military.

It's hilarious how many minorities only managed to obtain their rank because people like me did their work for them.
I would pay a guy to join the army for me and do all of my army college homework for me. Especially if it cost me $10. That's a pretty good deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

• Locked thread