Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Polyakov
Mar 22, 2012

Lockmart Lawndart posted:

Anyone know if Command is actually worth 80 bucks yet? Or should I just go buy Black Sea instead?

I.E.
Multiplayer support, Editable database, Menu that isn't a confusing mess?

I want this game but I don't want to spend 80 bucks on what appears to be an over exuberant harpoon clone with more ideas then ability to realize them.

I bought it on sale over christmas, i came in pretty much with no previous experience of games of that kind and I've been really loving it to the point where i would not have been unhappy to pay full price for it, once you get familiar with how it does things the menu systems pretty easy to work with, it does kinda live or die with the quality of the person who wrote the scenario but theres lots of good ones out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.
Speaking of goon games, we need another hilarious Scourge of War coop.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Several of us keep saying that and nothing's happened. I'm super all in favor of it. HITS and all.

Obstacle2
Dec 21, 2004
feels good man
I'd like to get in on it.

HITS could be fun.

Lockmart Lawndart
Oct 12, 2005

Baloogan posted:

Based on your username I think you would like Command; I've got a multiplayer thingy that some folks like.

I'm a dev on Command and I run the biggest command fan site (which has got better content than the stuff I make, worth checking it out http://baloogancampaign.com )so take what I say with a grain of salt.

I just bought it and CMBS because who needs money. The prospect of being able to run my own Vietnam era air war is too much to ignore. Will post trip report.

Also I found out I suck at CMBS, so theres that.

Edit: OK, CMBS is probably the most fun I've ever had at combat mission. Modern equipment is so quick and lethal you really have to be on your game. I was playing with Ukraine vs Russia as the Ukraine. Had to get creative to get my Oplots to take down the T90's.

Lockmart Lawndart fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Feb 1, 2015

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Any good AARs of CMBS? I never played SF so I'd like to see some of the modern gear in action before making the leap.

Pervis
Jan 12, 2001

YOSPOS

Polyakov posted:

I bought it on sale over christmas, i came in pretty much with no previous experience of games of that kind and I've been really loving it to the point where i would not have been unhappy to pay full price for it, once you get familiar with how it does things the menu systems pretty easy to work with, it does kinda live or die with the quality of the person who wrote the scenario but theres lots of good ones out there.

I got it in the same sale. They keep adding more community scenarios to the community pack, so there's lots of breadth and range in complexity, but I can't vouch for how hard or replay-able some of them are. Some of the stock scenarios do have randomized starting elements, so that's been good for when I want to give them a second try. Overall once you get the hang of what the AI will do (for you and against you) and what you can do to make the AI better it's pretty easy to control your stuff. Just remember you can adjust loadouts on your planes/helos, and that most scenarios have some of your planes start out as in reserve (basically no loadout) and some will be outright unavailable. Most of the good scenarios limit your ordinance so you have to make good use of what you have.

I find It's kind of one of those "just one more turn" things, except with time compression and "just one more salvos of harpoons should do it". Meanwhile a barrage of poo poo from an Oscar II wrecks some more of my ships. Fuckers.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Weapon Release Authorization is coming in Command 1.07.

Aircraft Sortie Rates is a pro-read for understanding the time required before your aircraft can get in the air after landing.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

uPen posted:

Any good AARs of CMBS? I never played SF so I'd like to see some of the modern gear in action before making the leap.

This one is pretty good - one of the devs playing the first US mission.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmOVvX1j3XY

It starts off pretty slow. Go to 1:09 for where it starts to get interesting.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Lockmart Lawndart posted:

I just bought it and CMBS because who needs money. The prospect of being able to run my own Vietnam era air war is too much to ignore. Will post trip report.

Also I found out I suck at CMBS, so theres that.

Edit: OK, CMBS is probably the most fun I've ever had at combat mission. Modern equipment is so quick and lethal you really have to be on your game. I was playing with Ukraine vs Russia as the Ukraine. Had to get creative to get my Oplots to take down the T90's.

Would you mind doing some screenshots (or a video) of your own personal Vietnam Air War, as you put it? That seems like it'd be interesting to see.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum

Nenonen posted:

Do people play Advanced Tactics Gold? I am a complete mess with it but I would be interested in a multigoon PBEM. I'm also available for CM Black Sea. I just added Black Sea and Red Thunder to the spreadsheet, update your statuses if you have them.

I'm down for advance tactics gold, dc warsaw to paris, or red thunder.

I'll just throw this out now, if I can get 3-5 more people at least I'll host up an advance tactics gold game. Just let me know here if there is interest.

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Does anyone have suggestions on settings and such for Steel Panthers MBT? I'm seriously suffering with the generated campaigns throwing like 3+ companies at me when all I've got is a company, a few tanks, and a bit of artillery support

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

MohawkSatan posted:

Does anyone have suggestions on settings and such for Steel Panthers MBT? I'm seriously suffering with the generated campaigns throwing like 3+ companies at me when all I've got is a company, a few tanks, and a bit of artillery support
You can set it so that the AI gets 50% of the points you do (or 75%) to mitigate this a bit (look in the game settings ini for AI adjust percentage). What is the nation matchup? Expect to have the AI get massively more troops if you're playing a high-point NATO force against Somalia/random insurgents or whatever.

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747

AceRimmer posted:

You can set it so that the AI gets 50% of the points you do (or 75%) to mitigate this a bit (look in the game settings ini for AI adjust percentage). What is the nation matchup? Expect to have the AI get massively more troops if you're playing a high-point NATO force against Somalia/random insurgents or whatever.

I've been loving around with backwater nations. South Africa vs Angola, NK versus SK+UN, things like that. Thanks for the tip, I'll see what I can do.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Peru-Ecuador War? Or maybe some fictional war between two(or more) South American nations?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

gently caress, weird bug in Command: Modern Air Naval Operations. Enemy jets firing at the ghost/jammer contacts my EA-6 created were counting as actual kills! Gotta find the log, this was loving bizarre.

Like Su27's getting cannon kills on ghost-targets and killing a Hornet 100 miles away etc.

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children
Interesting, the Dev for the latest DC game: Barbarossa has made his latest blog about how he's going to implement war crimes. http://www.vrdesigns.nl/?p=888

Seems War Crimes lite but very interesting a war game is going to even touch it with a barge pole. I really like the more human direction this game is going.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The idea that you don't have to think about the consequences of war crimes at all as long as you win total victory is interesting, to say the least.

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe she's born with it.
Maybe it's
cosmoline.

gradenko_2000 posted:

The idea that you don't have to think about the consequences of war crimes at all as long as you win total victory is interesting, to say the least.

"history is written by the victor"

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

I agree with much of the post but for the assertion that politics has no place in videogames. It's a subtle thing and games shouldn't constantly tell the player they are a bad person doing terrible things just because they want to wargame the operational problem of invading Russia as Germany, but choosing to present a 'clean' war is making a subtle political point of its own. Obviously the player should not be given the option to enact the holocaust but it is for example problematic for Hearts of Iron to present WW2 as a grand strategic game but ignore a large sector of the German war effort/economy.

I really like the LPs of CMANO where scenarios change because you shot a neutral or violated your ROE or took unacceptable losses and I think that's the sweet spot of where a wargame should aim to be in terms of politics.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Maybe you could have things like

Enact Decision: Requisition Forced Labour
Gain 10% more manpower. Take 10% International Relations Hit/Require X more victory points to win.

quote:

I think there's an early 90s British law that states only Germans commit(ed) war crimes, so the UK is in the clear.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
There was some outrage over some Anthony Beevor stuff right? Where the Russians were like "What are you talking about? Glorious Russia never committed any war crimes. Anyway, they were Nazis so, let's just say something got through our cracks eh? Probably they deserved it. Just saying."

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Keep away from children
Something about rape on an industrial scale

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Commander: The Great War had that a bit too, where the first side to use poison gas was penalized by having neutral countries join the other side faster than they normally would have (or is it that they join your side slower?)

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

maev posted:

Something about rape on an industrial scale

Rape that is systematic and accepted either de facto or de jure by an authority is a crime against humanity, yes indeed.

Disinterested fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Feb 2, 2015

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.

Drone posted:

Commander: The Great War had that a bit too, where the first side to use poison gas was penalized by having neutral countries join the other side faster than they normally would have (or is it that they join your side slower?)

Depends if you are central or entente. Submarine warfare also affects relations too. Britain used to have easy sub access to German shipping and it would delay the U.S. forever.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Stop wasting your Saggers from maximum range, Bates. Let me drive a little closer - say, to 400 meters so you can be guaranteed of never missing!

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

What did you do that for?

uPen posted:

I've played more CMSF than anything else, and I'm looking forward to trying it.

More people should give Shock Force a look; it's really rather excellent.

VendoViper
Feb 8, 2011

Can't touch this.

dtkozl posted:

I'm down for advance tactics gold, dc warsaw to paris, or red thunder.

I'll just throw this out now, if I can get 3-5 more people at least I'll host up an advance tactics gold game. Just let me know here if there is interest.

Count me in.

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Keep away from children
Just bought my first full price grog game, Red Thunder. I feel like a new man.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

It bothers me a fair bit how ugly transition in Black Sea the textures take outside the "bubble" around the camera, from high resolution to low.

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

What did you do that for?

Lunsku posted:

It bothers me a fair bit how ugly transition in Black Sea the textures take outside the "bubble" around the camera, from high resolution to low.

Yeah, the CMx2 games have always been a lot better closer in.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Welcome to Sherwood Combat Mission! Both of you.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

The thing is, I have absolutely no recollection of this kind of issue with CMBN. It's been two years since I touched that so I certainly may have just forgotten it, but with CMBS it immediately started to bother me.

And with the old CMBO the only graphical issue I had back in the day was how unclear terrain height differences were sometimes, unmodded.

Edit: Also notice the green tinted buildings in the pictures. Same is going on with a lot of vehicle textures in game, and is apparently some shader issue with newest Catalyst drivers. Might need to roll back to solve that.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug

Lunsku posted:

The thing is, I have absolutely no recollection of this kind of issue with CMBN. It's been two years since I touched that so I certainly may have just forgotten it, but with CMBS it immediately started to bother me.

And with the old CMBO the only graphical issue I had back in the day was how unclear terrain height differences were sometimes, unmodded.

Edit: Also notice the green tinted buildings in the pictures. Same is going on with a lot of vehicle textures in game, and is apparently some shader issue with newest Catalyst drivers. Might need to roll back to solve that.

Is this affected by some graphics settings? I see it really bad, but it doesn't seem to exist in streams like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0098kFAEjg

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

pthighs posted:

Is this affected by some graphics settings? I see it really bad, but it doesn't seem to exist in streams like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0098kFAEjg

It totally does though. Look at 10:40, the brown field his troops are in when he pulls the camera back.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Yeah seeing the grass textures pop in a hundred metres from your troops is pissweak for an engine they have been developing for years now. Putting everything up to full resolution makes the game run at around 5 fps on my computer that should be making mincemeat of graphics that looked dated 10 years ago. Not to mention the ugly rear end green void the map floats in.

Heaven forbid you should complain about graphics on the BF forums though.

eternity test
Apr 30, 2006

Lunsku posted:

I don't remember the hotkey (might be shift-W) but in CMBN at least the green tint disappears for me if I turn off shaders.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Alchenar posted:

I agree with much of the post but for the assertion that politics has no place in videogames. It's a subtle thing and games shouldn't constantly tell the player they are a bad person doing terrible things just because they want to wargame the operational problem of invading Russia as Germany, but choosing to present a 'clean' war is making a subtle political point of its own. Obviously the player should not be given the option to enact the holocaust but it is for example problematic for Hearts of Iron to present WW2 as a grand strategic game but ignore a large sector of the German war effort/economy.

I really like the LPs of CMANO where scenarios change because you shot a neutral or violated your ROE or took unacceptable losses and I think that's the sweet spot of where a wargame should aim to be in terms of politics.

I agree that politics should enter the picture at least insofar as how it influences the execution of the battle/operation/campaign you're wargaming.

We perhaps don't need to dwell on the details of the Einsatzgruppen in your sector, but if it causes a change in yours or the Soviet combat factors and determines the importance of one objective over another, then that should be included.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
To think, in many games depicting ye olde wars players are given the option of sacking or pillaging captured towns, which would have meant taking all useful civilians as slaves, raping and killing the rest, looting anything that wasn't nailed down and burning all that is nailed down (including some of the civilians that you'd just crucified). And this isn't controversial at all because you're Genghis Khan or Julius Caesar or some other great old chum. But try selling a game about the Bosnian war with similar player options and you'd be in for a poo poo storm.