Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ookuwagata
Aug 26, 2007

I love you this much!

Doctor Malaver posted:

Thanks. Would you maybe care to suggest the itinerary (like, spend an hour here, eat there, drive past that because it's not interesting, etc)? I'll check the penis museum. What museum would you recommend for history/vikings/ships?

The ATVs and snowmobiles are too expensive I'm afraid. The good news is that I added 2 and 2 together and figured out that the food walking tour is also ridiculously expensive because for that price you can have two three-course dinners. So we'll go to the Sea Baron instead and eat more and save money.

BTW whoever suggested no cash apparently never rode a local bus. They don't take plastic and they don't even return money if you don't have exact change.

Penis museum also is cash only, as I remember.

I think the national museum located at the university is the best insofar as history goes. Goes over a little bit of everything, and has some really neat artifacts. The Vikin Maritime Museum seemed to focus mostly on fishing, and a good chunk of it was dedicated to more modern fishing (a proud little display on the net-cutter as the only weapon invented in Iceland; designed to cut the lines of those poaching Brits). The Settlement Museum was kind of narrow in focus to me, focused intensely on the Reykjavik area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dor1
Jun 5, 2011
To be honest i'm bad at recommending tourist stuff, since i basically never do any of the touristy stuff, especially museums. Reading the thread will probably give you better idea than i ever could.

Kitsch!
Jul 27, 2006

God made Adam and Eve, not Fluffy and Eve.

Doctor Malaver posted:

BTW whoever suggested no cash apparently never rode a local bus. They don't take plastic and they don't even return money if you don't have exact change.

My apologies; I'm much more accustomed to the bus card system (it's the same in my hometown re: no credit cards/no change).

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort
Between Vik and Hofn (sp) we encountered two vehicles, and it's 270 km. it was the loneliest ride ever. You stop the car and turn off the lights and it's impetrenable darkness in all directions. Now I have a better idea how few people there are on Iceland.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
I'm drowning in end of semester work; I guess neglecting this thread just fits.

Accretionist posted:

I've read that greenhousing is A Thing in Iceland, but is there any sentiment about it in public consciousness? Do people care? Does political discussion feature talk of ag production capacity and hydroponic tomatoes and aquaponic tilapia?
I'm curious about what you mean by political discussions, because aside from how they get subsidized electricity, the only real discussion about it is about the old 'Choose Icelandic!' campaign for veggies, which mostly seemed to work. I appreciate being able to have fresh veggies and strawberries, though the test run for grapes sadly never left the farm (though Kitsch! did get to try some) but hey, ya can't have it all.
There was, at one point, a discussion about a possible large-scale state supported co-op but it fizzled out. also i do not understand the wurds u ar using

Noctis Horrendae posted:

What's religion like in Iceland? The majority of the population is Christian, correct? What denomination, and how big of a role does it play? Icelanders don't seem like the kind of people that would staunchly adhere to religion, somehow.
Religion is not serious for the vast majority of said Lutheran Christians, though many of them are somewhat serious and the minor sects more often are. The mainstream church is explicitly pro-female priest (my local one was a woman for the longest time) but they also got the same scandal with priests as everyone does.
Because the church is state run, they get state funding, and the current government, which cut hospitals, schools and benefits, decided instead to raise the funding for the church.
People have been resigning from the church in droves with each scandal and if folks weren't automatically assigned to it through various ways I doubt they would be that numerous.
The people that take religion seriously are weird. The people that worship republican Jesus are nigh shunned outside their circle; if you talk poo poo about gay people, or against abortions, like has happened recently with some Pentacostal members, they get poo poo from everywhere about it. An old PM is still mocked for saying 'God Bless Iceland' and rightfully so.

MisterOblivious posted:

That's called "Minnesota Nice" here in Minnesota. Same deal: we made all of our friends and connections early on and there aren't really any slots open for new folks. I generally tell folks moving here from out of state to find other folks who moved here from out of state as that's their only real chance at more than superficial friendliness.
Heh, fits the most Nordic part of the US have the same thing going on. It's one of the reasons why I think that there's so many religious foreign folks here, because they at least get somewhere there.

Doctor Malaver posted:

I'm staying in Iceland for a week, with friends who live in Reykjavik. On Saturday we are renting a car and doing the Golden Circle and sleeping in a cabin in Stafafel. I'm worried it will be a stretch, seeing the Geysir and the Myrdals glacier and all the interesting stuff in so little daylight, plus getting to the cabin in time to eat and rest.
Other plans include doing the Reykjavik by Food tour, the Free Walking Tour (if it's available, there's conflicting information) and we already visited the Blue Lagoon.

Any comments or suggestions for museums or one-day trips? I like activities that are interactive (not just being driven around to see stuff) but not too expensive or physical (I can't rock climb and I'm not sure I could ride a horse).

ps
Why is the international airport so far away from Reykjavik? With barren plains everywhere, they could've built it much closer.
Whoops! Most of the good suggestions are made already, but if you have that car when you get back I recommend checking out Álftanes, the pool and then president house. There's also a museum there but I haven't been so I can't vouch for it.

Doctor Malaver posted:

Between Vik and Hofn (sp) we encountered two vehicles, and it's 270 km. it was the loneliest ride ever. You stop the car and turn off the lights and it's impetrenable darkness in all directions. Now I have a better idea how few people there are on Iceland.
I actually wrote a short story about that. It is very Icelandic, when you feel the suffocating dark surrounding you, realizing that in the vast world mankind is small and the night endless outside our ball of light and life. When you're surrounded by forces so inimical to mankind, you learn to appreciate how important but fragile civilization is.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Deceitful Penguin posted:

I'm curious about what you mean by political discussions, because aside from how they get subsidized electricity, the only real discussion about it is about the old 'Choose Icelandic!' campaign for veggies, which mostly seemed to work. I appreciate being able to have fresh veggies and strawberries, though the test run for grapes sadly never left the farm (though Kitsch! did get to try some) but hey, ya can't have it all.
There was, at one point, a discussion about a possible large-scale state supported co-op but it fizzled out. also i do not understand the wurds u ar using

What can you tell me about the co-op and its fizzling?

Ag was just short for 'agriculture' so 'ag production capacity' just means what Iceland's currently able to farm.

And...

Hydroponics (this, specifically, is "Nutrient-Film Technique"):

Aquaponics:
[Raise fish in Nutrient Solution Tank, too]

And now for the thing that has me all excited about this:

quote:

Lettuce See the Future: Japanese Farmer Builds High-Tech Indoor Veggie Factory (July 9, 2014)

The LED lights are a key part of the farm’s magic. They allow Shimamura to control the night-and-day cycle and accelerate growth. “What we need to do is not just setting up more days and nights,” he says. “We want to achieve the best combination of photosynthesis during the day and breathing at night by controlling the lighting and the environment.”

Shimamura says that the systems allows him to grow lettuce full of vitamins and minerals two-and-a-half times faster than an outdoor farm. He is also able to cut discarded produce from 50 percent to just 10 percent of the harvest, compared to a conventional farm. As a result, the farms productivity per square foot is up 100-fold, he says.

By controlling temperature, humidity and irrigation, the farm can also cut its water usage to just 1 percent of the amount needed by outdoor fields.

The GE Japan team believes that indoor farms like the one in the Miyagi Prefecture could be a key to solving food shortages in the world. Mirai and GE are already working on “plant factories” in Hong Kong and the Far East of Russia. Says Shimamura: “Finally, we are about to start the real agricultural industrialization.”
Source

This kind of fully enclosed hydroponic facility is really amazing and allows for serious crop output anywhere you've got a stable electric grid, but it's costly. Our ability to do this economically in even so expensive a market as Japan is a very recent development.

I'm asking about this kind of thing here because Iceland's electric and heating is famously cheap. You also lack arable land. Something like this permits year-round production anywhere you've got cheap, stable electricity and expensive food (Japan). Or a government willing to subsidize domestic capacity (Hong Kong). Iceland seems like it might have all three. Seems like you'd be a great candidate for pioneering this kind of thing.

BUTT PIPE
Oct 11, 2012
Maybe an odd question here, but when I was a kid I devoured Frans Bengtsson's The Long Ships (called Röde Orm or something in the original Swedish, I think.) Still one of my favorite books. It's a fantastically entertaining novel based on the style of Icelandic sagas, and one of the best books I've read in translation.

I get the impression it is much more widely read in Scandinavia; I'm just wondering, are there any absolutely classic or quintessentially Icelandic novels that you would recommend? Nordic crime is getting(or is already?) popular in other countries, but I'm guessing there are a few greats that every Icelander would have enjoyed that might be floating around in translation somewhere.

I also want a taste of that half sheep's head thing but it looks so peaceful sitting there.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

Accretionist posted:

fascinating stuff

Considering Iceland's substantial, if stagnating, Atlantic fish resources, and abundant fjords suitable for aquaculture, I doubt there is much need for aquaponics. Now, I might be talking out of my rear end here, but aquaponics also look like very high maintenance facilities compared to the relatively simple aquaculture facilities, which are usually just nets attached flotation devices. This kind of stuff is fascinating though, and makes me kinda regret going into humanities/teaching instead of engineering for fish-related purposes.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

inscrutable horse posted:

Considering Iceland's substantial, if stagnating, Atlantic fish resources, and abundant fjords suitable for aquaculture, I doubt there is much need for aquaponics. Now, I might be talking out of my rear end here, but aquaponics also look like very high maintenance facilities compared to the relatively simple aquaculture facilities, which are usually just nets attached flotation devices. This kind of stuff is fascinating though, and makes me kinda regret going into humanities/teaching instead of engineering for fish-related purposes.

I like to think of aquaponics as a fun way to turn some of the energy costs of generating nitrates into delicious fish dinners!

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Thanks to everyone for suggestions. I'm back from Iceland so here are some ramblings.

+ The best experience was random - we went to check the geyser-shaped church and happened upon a free concert of quire music, I think it was Friday 11/14. The music was a set of short and delicate pieces, very tender, sometimes accompanied by organ. It was made by a young Icelandic composer and performed by students from the music academy. The sun was coming through into the white interior and it was beautiful. If you know the guy please persuade him to put stuff online!

+ Despite the country's focus on tourism, we ran into problems with machines speaking only Icelandic language. Once I called a tourist agency and once a car rental, on numbers that were specifically given to us to call in case of any problems, only to be confronted with voice mail/answering machine in Icelandic. Also, gas stations don't have attendants, they are automatic - and the language on display is Icelandic. I don't know how similar they are to US gas pumps, but I come from a country where you pay at the register to a living person. Good luck filling that tank, me!

+ Rent a car and just... drive. It will look like car commercials. The scenery is beautiful and the main ring road is just the right kind - not boring like a highway but of good enough quality to be safe.

+ Check out Dead. It's a gallery (cash only) just off the main shopping street in Reykjavik. It's strange and morbid, but original. The guy who runs it and makes the art is the singer of Dead Skeletons. Neither his art or his music is for everyone but give it a try. It's psychedelic rock, not some run of the mill Scandinavian metal.

+ Icelanders seem to be cheap about giving complimentary food. Icelandair didn't give us a meal or even some crackers, which I don't remember ever happening on an international flight and this one was over two hours long. Also almost no tourist tours available at the Tourist Information Center offered complimentary snacks or drinks, despite being very expensive and lasting entire afternoons or longer.

+ If you want to go out drinking, plan it. Ask about happy hours to avoid paying €6.5 for the cheapest draft beer.

+ I really liked the selection of shops in Reykjavik's center. They are fun and original. I guess the city reserves these spots for local and inventive shops instead of giving it to the highest bidder which would probably be a corporation like KFC or Nike.

+ You probably won't want to miss the Blue Lagoon. It's close to the airport so it's best to go there directly from the flight, and then proceed to Reykjavik without returning to the airport. They have storage for large suitcases. It will save you time and money compared to going from Reykjavik.

+ We went hiking on the Esja mountain which was great and also free. I don't think you can reach the top unless you are an experienced climber with professional equipment, but even coming close to the mountaintop, shrouded in mist, with streams trickling down vertical slopes... was like approaching the mines of Moria.

I actually wrote a short story about that. It is very Icelandic, when you feel the suffocating dark surrounding you, realizing that in the vast world mankind is small and the night endless outside our ball of light and life. When you're surrounded by forces so inimical to mankind, you learn to appreciate how important but fragile civilization is.

I'd like to read that if it's in English.

Doctor Malaver fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Nov 20, 2014

dor1
Jun 5, 2011

Doctor Malaver posted:

+ Despite the country's focus on tourism, we ran into problems with machines speaking only Icelandic language. Once I called a tourist agency and once a car rental, on numbers that were specifically given to us to call in case of any problems, only to be confronted with voice mail/answering machine in Icelandic. Also, gas stations don't have attendants, they are automatic - and the language on display is Icelandic. I don't know how similar they are to US gas pumps, but I come from a country where you pay at the register to a living person. Good luck filling that tank, me!

+ We went hiking on the Esja mountain which was great and also free. I don't think you can reach the top unless you are an experienced climber with professional equipment, but even coming close to the mountaintop, shrouded in mist, with streams trickling down vertical slopes... was like approaching the mines of Moria.

1. Some, but not all automatic gas stations have a language selection, and i think it's strange that tourist agencies/car rentals wouldn't think of having their phone system in english, or at least an option for english. I'm guessing no one working there thought of it. v0v

2. Esja is a very easy mountain to climb, and you really don't need any experience or professional equipment, just some nice shoes and warm clothing. I can walk up there and i'm in terrible shape.

But generally i agree with most of your post, don't plan too much, just go out there is do whatever you feel like, it's what i generally do when i travel abroad.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Yeah, icelandic gas pumps were an issue. Also, they wouldn't take my chip and pin credit card, but would take my dumb mag stripe only debit card.:iiam:

dor1
Jun 5, 2011

nm posted:

Yeah, icelandic gas pumps were an issue. Also, they wouldn't take my chip and pin credit card, but would take my dumb mag stripe only debit card.:iiam:

If it only had chip and pin i get that it wouldn't read it, but they should all take mag stripe cards. It was only recently that we started doing the chip and pin thing and automated gas station already had mag stipe readers and needed pin so i guess they just figured "we don't need to do poo poo".

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Accretionist posted:

What can you tell me about the co-op and its fizzling?
They didn't want corp funding or shareholders, the popular will wasn't there for it and neither was gov funding. No idea what happened to the guy after he left the limelight.

Accretionist posted:

Ag was just short for 'agriculture' so 'ag production capacity' just means what Iceland's currently able to farm.

And...

Hydroponics (this, specifically, is "Nutrient-Film Technique"):

Aquaponics:
[Raise fish in Nutrient Solution Tank, too]
The current systems of greenhouse agriculture, I dunno, I've only even been there to pick berries, so I'm not super into how they work. I do know they don't especially need to save water, but that maintaining the right levels of humidity and heat are more the problems, along with sometimes erratic sunlight levels.

Aquaponics,like inscrutable notes (btw what up fellow humanities bro) seem like a lot of effort for something we already had going on with salmon and some other types, but I think only the salmon proved profitable enough.
And now for the thing that has me all excited about this:

Source

This kind of fully enclosed hydroponic facility is really amazing and allows for serious crop output anywhere you've got a stable electric grid, but it's costly. Our ability to do this economically in even so expensive a market as Japan is a very recent development.

I'm asking about this kind of thing here because Iceland's electric and heating is famously cheap. You also lack arable land. Something like this permits year-round production anywhere you've got cheap, stable electricity and expensive food (Japan). Or a government willing to subsidize domestic capacity (Hong Kong). Iceland seems like it might have all three. Seems like you'd be a great candidate for pioneering this kind of thing.
[/quote]Yea, I remember reading this a way back and wondering about the same thing, but I haven't had a chance to talk to my farmer buddies since I did. The one I know best is a potato farmer anyhow, so it's not like this would help him a lot and the second best is mainly in strawberries, but yea, this is tailormade for Icelandic situations.
I'll chat around about it, see if anything comes up when I meet some of my physical science friends.

BUTT PIPE posted:

Maybe an odd question here, but when I was a kid I devoured Frans Bengtsson's The Long Ships (called Röde Orm or something in the original Swedish, I think.) Still one of my favorite books. It's a fantastically entertaining novel based on the style of Icelandic sagas, and one of the best books I've read in translation.

I get the impression it is much more widely read in Scandinavia; I'm just wondering, are there any absolutely classic or quintessentially Icelandic novels that you would recommend? Nordic crime is getting(or is already?) popular in other countries, but I'm guessing there are a few greats that every Icelander would have enjoyed that might be floating around in translation somewhere.

I also want a taste of that half sheep's head thing but it looks so peaceful sitting there.
I was always more of an anglophile as a kid and that remains to this day; I'm not the best read in Icelandic lit outside the old classics; The Sagas are obviously good choices and available For free online right here. People also like to recommend Halldór Laxness, "Independent People" is the quintessential novel about how Icelanders are idiots, a great read and much of it still true to this day, while much of his other writing is apparently good; can't vouch for it.
Aside from that, the only things likely to be translated to non-Nordic languages is crime fiction, which I don't really care for and therefore don't read. Hope this helped.
The sheep head is fine, if you like meat I suppose. The thing to do if you don't like the look of it is to turn the other cheek and see if that looks better.

Accretionist posted:

I like to think of aquaponics as a fun way to turn some of the energy costs of generating nitrates into delicious fish dinners!
That sounds like thrift or cleverly using waste, something that we don't really do unless it involves closing off waste-water lakes and then charging for entrance.

Doctor Malaver posted:

It is, but I like to edit mine several times and I might get it published. If it ain't I'll link it here I guess, was thinking the Grapevine might like it, maybe.

Also credit cards are a dark sorcery that you can never trust, as I learned in Japan.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Oh hey, the Dead gallery. I remember that place. That was where my now-wife started talking to the dude running it (presumably this Dead Skeletons guy) and asked when he opened the gallery, and he was like "very recently" and she asked what led him to do it and he said "well it beats having a job." Good times. I wanted to buy a skull shirt but we forgot about it on our second shopping pass through the area :(

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

My friend moved to Iceland because of the Dead Skeletons guy! He already liked Iceland and visited it a few times and came to the gallery a few days in a row because he likes that music so he discussed it at length with the DS guy. At one point he learned that the DS guy had five children. Since the gallery doesn't have many customers and the band is not very popular either, he asked him about the wife's job and turned out she was a housewife. Apologizing for the indiscretion, my friend asked the DS guy if he ever had problems providing for such a big family. "No. :confused:"

That was the final straw for my friend, he told his wife - that's it, we are moving to Iceland.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

dor1 posted:

2. Esja is a very easy mountain to climb, and you really don't need any experience or professional equipment, just some nice shoes and warm clothing. I can walk up there and i'm in terrible shape.

Are we talking about the same mountain? We got to X and that really wasn't a problem, but after that the terrain becomes much steeper. No way you could get to where the arrow is pointing in nice shoes.

Doctor Malaver fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Nov 22, 2014

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Doctor Malaver posted:

My friend moved to Iceland because of the Dead Skeletons guy! He already liked Iceland and visited it a few times and came to the gallery a few days in a row because he likes that music so he discussed it at length with the DS guy. At one point he learned that the DS guy had five children. Since the gallery doesn't have many customers and the band is not very popular either, he asked him about the wife's job and turned out she was a housewife. Apologizing for the indiscretion, my friend asked the DS guy if he ever had problems providing for such a big family. "No. :confused:"

That was the final straw for my friend, he told his wife - that's it, we are moving to Iceland.
They were lying, unless they had a big family finding all 5 kids poo poo to do would totes be a hassle.

Doctor Malaver posted:

Are we talking about the same mountain? We got to X and that really wasn't a problem, but after that the terrain becomes much steeper. No way you could get to where the arrow is pointing in nice shoes.

I've been up there in sketchers, but then again I've literally been climbing mountains since before I spoke English so I may not be the best example. It certainly can get iffy at some points if conditions are bad. (Like when I had to go down with the flashlight on my phone on 'cause it was so dark).

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
I was hoping to ask what traveling in Iceland would be like this time of year. Particularly in the next couple of weeks. I was recently laid off from my long-time job and was planning on taking the opportunity to travel for a bit before getting serious about the job hunt. Iceland has always been high on my list but I'm not sure if December is the right time to visit. I would love to catch the Aurora if possible as I'm a bit of a photo buff but other than that I would have no feelings of obligation to see everything on a tourist map, I'm much more about finding experiences that are authentic to the place I'm in rather than checking off a list of museums and landmarks so I'm sure if I go I'll be leaning heavily on you guys to help me find good things to do. I also love hiking so weather permitting it'd be great to get some good hikes in.

I realize you only are getting like 7 hours of light a day right now which is why I'm questioning the timing, if I can fill the other hours with checking out the aurora and getting some cultural time indoors in then I'm sure I'd be fine.

I'm coming from a place (Oregon) where the weather is probably just as cold if not colder right now and almost certainly rainier so I'm alright with that.

Thanks in advance for any advice. If I don't come this season I'll definitely come visit soon.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
It will be dark. Check this out: http://www.enjoyiceland.is/Iceland_Information/Practical_information/Time_and_daylight_hours/

Basically, you'd be trading short/no daylight for a fairly good discount on accommodation. The season is also not the best for hiking, thanks to short hours of light unless your phone has a really good flashlight and you want that element of "falling down and breaking your legs" added to your trip.

Aurora is random, thought its much more common in winter. You'd probs manage to see it; though depending on the camera it might not come out great.

Honestly, if you want an authentic Iceland trip, I'd just recommend you get a car with good GPS, pick which part you want to see (this depends on how long you gonna stay) then find accommodation in some of the smaller places. This is hindered, again by the dark but even in twilight there's some incredible sights and seeing the pale sunlight reflecting of the snow in the mountains as the world descends into vague shadows, before finally being quenched behind the mountains as the light surrenders to the gloom of winter is something some folks might find nice.

Oh and I'll be gone by the 5th and 4th is final exam for this season, so uhh, not really got time to show ya around well. Could give you a short itinerary and how to figger out a route of yer own I guess? Could give you some nice places to hike in the north, including through one valley that before the tunnel was built was completely abandoned by humans.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

MMD3 posted:

I was hoping to ask what traveling in Iceland would be like this time of year. Particularly in the next couple of weeks. I was recently laid off from my long-time job and was planning on taking the opportunity to travel for a bit before getting serious about the job hunt. Iceland has always been high on my list but I'm not sure if December is the right time to visit. I would love to catch the Aurora if possible as I'm a bit of a photo buff but other than that I would have no feelings of obligation to see everything on a tourist map, I'm much more about finding experiences that are authentic to the place I'm in rather than checking off a list of museums and landmarks so I'm sure if I go I'll be leaning heavily on you guys to help me find good things to do. I also love hiking so weather permitting it'd be great to get some good hikes in.

I realize you only are getting like 7 hours of light a day right now which is why I'm questioning the timing, if I can fill the other hours with checking out the aurora and getting some cultural time indoors in then I'm sure I'd be fine.

I'm coming from a place (Oregon) where the weather is probably just as cold if not colder right now and almost certainly rainier so I'm alright with that.

Thanks in advance for any advice. If I don't come this season I'll definitely come visit soon.

Reykjavik is not a bustling European metropolis - I don't think you'll find enough cultural content to fill all those hours of darkness. Museums' opening times tend to follow daylight hours (10am-5pm) so when you get back from hiking or a day trip they will be closed and I don't know how much you can do then except going to bars and restaurants. Also the offer of tourist trips/activities is smaller than in the season.

During my week in November I saw aurora twice. First time barely, second time somewhat better but it basically looked like greenish clouds. Nothing remotely close to what you see when you GIS 'aurora'. It was impossible to photograph because it's so dim that you need a long exposure time, and yet it moves. You'd probably get a blurry result even with good equipment. I understand that the colder it gets the stronger the aurora is (so December is better than November) but don't be disappointed if you don't get a spectacle.

Iced Cocoa
Jul 14, 2011

I'm not sure where people get this idea, but Aurora's strength comes from solar winds, which have nothing to do with seasons.

What determines the best aurora viewing is basically by three things. How dark is it out, the cloud cover, and then how much light is around you. Light pollution plays a big part in how visible aurora is. It's pretty impossible to see them when the sun is out, which is all day and night during the summer. So that's why it's not recommended to hunt for aurora in the summer.

Here is a website which predicts aurora activity. The primary image is of the cloud coverage (dark = clouds), while up in the right banner there is a scale on how strong the aurora activity might be. I can say that 4 on that scale is impressive for an Icelander, but you need to head out to very dark place to see it.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
Thanks, that's very useful but kinda disappointing too. We were planning on taking a golden circle tour though so maybe we'll get to see it while we're out on it.

ookuwagata
Aug 26, 2007

I love you this much!
So, anyone know about Christmas traditions in Iceland? I seem to recall reading something on FB talking about a tradition of being eaten by a Yule cat.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

ookuwagata posted:

So, anyone know about Christmas traditions in Iceland? I seem to recall reading something on FB talking about a tradition of being eaten by a Yule cat.

Look up the Yule Lads.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

ookuwagata posted:

I know a few. Actually, the Grapevine, once again, has a bunch of good articles about the subject. Just a simple search there Revealed a whole host of articles, that are all mostly good. Not the one though, that's awful.

The one you're talking about though is the Christmas cat, who would eat any person that did not get at least one garment as a present during Yule. It was the pet of Grýla, chief she-troll (Ogress maybe?) who is mother of the Yule Lads and was also keen on eating kids, before it was made illegal.

That is a thing in Icelandic law btw. It is literally illegal to scare children with tales of the Yule lads.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
What can you tell me about Glima? I'm particularly curious as to prevalence, perceptions and how similar it really is to Viking fighting styles.

Trier
Aug 8, 2011

Stupid Newbie
What's the social safety net like? Is it comparable to the other nordic countries?

I heard you guys have a lot of american items in your supermarkets and stores due to the import distance/price being about the same from america as from the EU, is that true?

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Accretionist posted:

What can you tell me about Glima? I'm particularly curious as to prevalence, perceptions and how similar it really is to Viking fighting styles.
Ehh, sorry it took me so long to reply, I was trying to find the drat lecture I saw on it and couldn't.

Basically it's been growing less popular through the years, though I'm not totally sure how much that popularity has declined. It's perception is, well, hard to say. It's one of those old folk traditions that they still keep doing; I guess it's a bit like playing the accordion? Not cool certainly but nothing you'd be ashamed of.

And it is nothing like Viking fighting styles because it isn't meant to be a, aggression thing. As in, Viking did battle with weapons and didn't think poo poo like this was for fighting, it was more like armwrestling; a contest of skill and dexterity. I wish I could find the rear end old Olympics footage but I can't. :(

Trier posted:

What's the social safety net like? Is it comparable to the other nordic countries?

I heard you guys have a lot of american items in your supermarkets and stores due to the import distance/price being about the same from america as from the EU, is that true?
There's unemployment and disability, with the latter being fairly common. I don't know well enough about that in the US to say if it's better, but on the whole we've always been the least impressive of the Nordics when it came to that sorta stuff (we have solely student loans with no grants, whereas in Denmark they pay you to study), so the old simile of us being the "Shittiest in the best club in the world" sorta applies there.

And yea, there's a lot of American stuff here. Heh, GF tried Big Red for the first time in Iceland; she also told me that she recognized a bunch at the speciality "American" store as Costco stuff (Kirkland brand). In general you have a lot of American products, with Scandinavian products being prominent and the Asian markets with their own shindigs; but I think that you do see more European stuff here, just that we have way more American stuff than the rest of Europe so we seem to have more than we do.

I dunno about duties on EU and US stuff and the comparison though; not in retail.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

I've never seen such a wide offer of Coca Cola as in Reykjavik. A small store with two cash registers had maybe 10 different products - plastic bottles of many sizes, glass bottles of many sizes, cans, and then also sugar free variants too. Over here a store of that size would carry 3-4 such products.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
I don't know why on earth they have that caffeine free one, that was the green one. Where you from btw?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

No, the caffeine free one is the golden one. Green is 'Life' which is 'Natural' and 'Healthy' :airquote:

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

I don't know why on earth they have that caffeine free one, that was the green one. Where you from btw?

Croatia, but I don't think I've seen such a huge Coca Cola choice in such a small store anywhere else, including the US.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Jeoh posted:

No, the caffeine free one is the golden one. Green is 'Life' which is 'Natural' and 'Healthy' :airquote:
poo poo, really? I am an RC Cola man so I'm not up on teh Cocer Colers but I coulda sworn green was the one with nothing in it.
Kinda baffling though. "From the Company that stole water from Indians: Ecological Cola!"

Doctor Malaver posted:

Croatia, but I don't think I've seen such a huge Coca Cola choice in such a small store anywhere else, including the US.
Yes, Icelanders love them some soda. I dunno if there's statistics but we drink shitloads of it. If I were to hazard a guess I'd say it was all the good water, you get spoilt and don't want to drink it no more. I drank more water in the US than I do here.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
Any comment?

A new guard for Asgard: Iceland building first temple to Norse gods in 1,000 years

quote:

Icelanders will soon be able to publicly worship at a shrine to Thor, Odin and Frigg with construction starting this month on the island’s first major temple to the Norse gods since the Viking age.

Worship of the gods in Scandinavia gave way to Christianity around 1,000 years ago but a modern version of Norse paganism has been gaining popularity in Iceland.

“I don’t believe anyone believes in a one-eyed man who is riding about on a horse with eight feet,” said Hilmar Orn Hilmarsson, high priest of Asatruarfelagid, an association that promotes faith in the Norse gods.

“We see the stories as poetic metaphors and a manifestation of the forces of nature and human psychology.”

Membership in Asatruarfelagid has tripled in Iceland in the last decade to 2,400 members last year, out of a total population of 330,000, data from Statistics Iceland showed.

The temple will be circular and will be dug four metres down into a hill overlooking the Icelandic capital, Reykjavik, with a dome on top to let in the sunlight.

Personally, I think this is really cool. I'm particularly interested in the bolded section. An overtly non-literalist, self-aware approach to religion? Yes, please!

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Yeah I am kind of sad this did not exist when I got married there, as I would have been 1000% onboard with being married by a High Priest of Thor or something.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Accretionist posted:

Any comment?

A new guard for Asgard: Iceland building first temple to Norse gods in 1,000 years

Personally, I think this is really cool. I'm particularly interested in the bolded section. An overtly non-literalist, self-aware approach to religion? Yes, please!
As a registered Pagan, yea, I'm pretty cool with this. Especially because at the height of the mosque fiasco a bunch of xenophobes tried to use the "why don't we have a temple to our own religion rather than this foreign one!!1" like the same sort didn't try and suppress us back in the day.

Hilmar is a chill dude, but I always say that given enough people and time we will have people starting to believe in the gods the old way, heh, they'll be Gods again I guess. Right now the country is both full of Christians and Atheist, with the latter growing fast thanks to better education and options as well as how utterly idiotically the church has been acting.

Quarex posted:

Yeah I am kind of sad this did not exist when I got married there, as I would have been 1000% onboard with being married by a High Priest of Thor or something.
Tsk tsk, you coulda had a sky ceremony in Þingvellir though.

It would be remiss to mention that sometimes they can get a bit, ren-faire about the things they do, though' Hilmar is always classy.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010
Paganchat reminded me of this: British Odinist fired for using "multicultural prayer room", gets told that his faith is "not real", but is vindicated in court. I wonder how declaring yourself a follower of the Æsir would be received in those unenlightened countries where most people assume that people have to belong to an Abrahamic faith system. I know that in Greece, pagans dedicating themselves to the Olympian gods tend to be discriminated against in a society where the Orthodox church has disproportionate influence.

Trier
Aug 8, 2011

Stupid Newbie
I need to convince a bunch of people that we should go to Iceland for our summer vacation. Help me out, it needs to be sort of an "active" trip, river rafting, horse riding, hiking etc. I hear iceland is good for these things but I know nothing specific.

What's the weather like during summers, is it "hot"? I mean I realize it's ICEland but surely the summers have some warmth to them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
Did you see Iceland.jpg? There's a little tourism chat here and there.

Sample post:

Quarex posted:

Iceland Bestland

• Locked thread