Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Wingnut Ninja posted:

F-18 flies over Berkeley; Berkeley residents lose their poo poo

My goodness, an airplane! Flying low! It surely must be about to crash!

(it was at 2500 feet, which is fairly typical for a bay tour route)

Golly, I hope JG is able to get treatment for the PTSD induced by hearing an airplane fly overhead. Truly an experience on par with growing up in a war-torn hellhole your entire life.

JG is an idiot. Obama doesn't use F-18s to kill Americans, he uses drones. Now, if a Predator flew overhead, I wouldn't blame him for making GBS threads his pants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Godholio posted:

It doesn't count unless it's caught on the gun camera.
Okay, well, yeah, I didn't consider that... :dong:

marumaru
May 20, 2013

MrYenko posted:

The cockpit of every single soviet aircraft ever, and most Russian ones, after that.

I've meant to ask, why is that? Just convention?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Inacio posted:

I've meant to ask, why is that? Just convention?

Its supposedly to reduce eye strain by reducing the contrast between looking outside and inside.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
When I build a race-car, you better believe the interior will be in Soviet Cockpit Blue.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

See also: DC-9 cockpit.
Very Soviet.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
"Caution Wake Turbulence"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8EwvDTJeNs

quote:

The pilot in this video was not hurt critically; he had some scrapes and bruises, was shook up, but basically came out of it in good condition. I spoke with him yesterday and he was happy to share his experience for the good of safety. This event took place at a non-controlled airport.

In the video, you can see that a Cirrus SR-20G2 aircraft was flipped on final by a Blackhawk helicopter’s downwash. The pilot of the Cirrus said that as soon as he realized that he was in turbulence he went to full power with ailerons and rudder full right, but to no avail, the turbulence forced him over and the wing tip struck the runway.

The Cirrus was on left downwind, heading South and about to turn base for a full stop landing, the helicopter was on the numbers. The helicopter pilot departed to the North, he also side-stepped to the parallel taxiway to get out of the fix-wing’s way. The winds were about 3kts at the time. What is truly remarkable is that the event happened ~28 seconds after the helicopter departed (the turbulence was still there).

While speaking with the pilot of the Cirrus he said that there was another similar incident a few years ago here in Colorado, he is sending me info on that and I will pass it on as well. In that situation a very high time Air Force Instructor pilot departed in a Diamond 20 and encountered the same issue, only it was ~75 seconds after the Black hawk had departed and was at 40ft on departure. I believe both in the Diamond were ok then as well.

Please pass this video on to others and discuss it with your students and fellow pilots.

The Ferret King fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Feb 1, 2015

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

I <3 you too, helicopter. I <3 you too.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Canadian politicians gently caress up a promising Canadian Built Airplane. No, not the Arrow...

A Melted Tarp
Nov 12, 2013

At the date
What a shame, that could have been the catalyst for a booming Canadian aircraft industry. I mean, instead of niche stuff like the TwOtter and Dash 8.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

What the hell is it with this country and A.V.Roe aircraft being ordered torched when cancelled?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

A Melted Tarp posted:

What a shame, that could have been the catalyst for a booming Canadian aircraft industry. I mean, instead of niche stuff like the TwOtter and Dash 8.

By niche you mean approximately 50% of worldwide regional aircraft sales.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

slidebite posted:

What the hell is it with this country and A.V.Roe aircraft being ordered torched when cancelled?

Because the people in charge don't want people seeing the prototypes down the road and telling them "Oy, you made a bad decision?"

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

Wingnut Ninja posted:

F-18 flies over Berkeley; Berkeley residents lose their poo poo

My goodness, an airplane! Flying low! It surely must be about to crash!

(it was at 2500 feet, which is fairly typical for a bay tour route)

Golly, I hope JG is able to get treatment for the PTSD induced by hearing an airplane fly overhead. Truly an experience on par with growing up in a war-torn hellhole your entire life.

I worked at Boeing for a year doing software for the Super Hornets, and you could hear them take off from well inside the building (especially the F-15s). Some people just don't realize just how loud fighter aircraft can be.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

xergm posted:

I worked at Boeing for a year doing software for the Super Hornets, and you could hear them take off from well inside the building (especially the F-15s). Some people just don't realize just how loud fighter aircraft can be.

I like to imagine that at some point during development, in every program office, some mid-level manager gets a memo on his desk that talks about possibly meeting FAA stage III/IV noise standards, and he has the pleasure of crumpling it into a ball, bouncing it off the backboard into his college-team-themed trash can, and then doing an end-zone dance.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Apparently the changeover from EA-6Bs to EA-18s on Whidbey island in WA causes some different low frequency rumble to be transmitted across 50km of open water to Vancouver Island just across the border which led to the predicable whining about it.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/roar-of-u-s-naval-jets-flies-into-controversy-over-b-c-1.2895785

I'd be interested to check out what it actually sounds like. The affected area of Oak Bay is a pretty swanky area with some huge multi million dollar homes on the waterfront so folks most likely to raise a stink I guess.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Going through my bookmarks and I found a 400 page PDF on Project OXCART and the U2. I can't remember if I got it from here or not so pardon the repost, but I know some of you guys might be interested in that.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

priznat posted:

Apparently the changeover from EA-6Bs to EA-18s on Whidbey island in WA causes some different low frequency rumble to be transmitted across 50km of open water to Vancouver Island just across the border which led to the predicable whining about it.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/roar-of-u-s-naval-jets-flies-into-controversy-over-b-c-1.2895785

I'd be interested to check out what it actually sounds like. The affected area of Oak Bay is a pretty swanky area with some huge multi million dollar homes on the waterfront so folks most likely to raise a stink I guess.

Haha

"The navy has held open houses and carried out public consultation about its proposal on Whidbey Island.

But the process may not have been advertised north of the border, Brown said.

Canadians can comment on the proposal through a website but there isn't much time left. "

In other words: Canadians can pound sand.

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Possibly the only speedboat jumps I've planned

I thought I saw two L-1011s at Boeing Field. They were white and orange and had some charter name on the side. No pictures

What did I actually see?

Edit: I'm a moron. 727s. Haven't seen one in ages.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Between the stationing of NATO AWACS in Geilenkirchen, literally on the border with the Netherlands, and the roughly one trillion laws, consultations, and policy adjustments wrt noise pollution in this country that have come out ever since, there have been zero measures taken for people living under the TF33 menace. It's not even legal for E3s to land in this country without dispensation AFAIK, but here they are glidesloping their way over suffering children and geriatrics. Disband NATO etc.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Koesj posted:

Between the stationing of NATO AWACS in Geilenkirchen, literally on the border with the Netherlands, and the roughly one trillion laws, consultations, and policy adjustments wrt noise pollution in this country that have come out ever since, there have been zero measures taken for people living under the TF33 menace. It's not even legal for E3s to land in this country without dispensation AFAIK, but here they are glidesloping their way over suffering children and geriatrics. Disband NATO etc.

It gets even better when you realize that several nations don't actually recognize Luxembourg, where the tails are registered. Which means no overflight. This may or may not have been a significant issue in recent years. :ninja:

Edit: VVV Quite right, old chap. Wrong invisible L country.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Feb 3, 2015

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Godholio posted:

It gets even better when you realize that several nations don't actually recognize Lichtenstein, where the tails are registered. Which means no overflight. This may or may not have been a significant issue in recent years. :ninja:

I thought the tails were registered in Luxembourg?

e: Same principle probably applies though

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

iyaayas01 posted:

Correct post.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Spaced God posted:

Going through my bookmarks and I found a 400 page PDF on Project OXCART and the U2. I can't remember if I got it from here or not so pardon the repost, but I know some of you guys might be interested in that.

That book rules, pro as gently caress click.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

xergm posted:

Oh, absolutely, they can be really loving loud, especially on takeoff. But there's a world of difference between "wow, that's a really loud plane" and "OH GOD THE END IS NIGH". It really speaks to the level of dissociation that most Americans have to the military these days.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Oh, absolutely, they can be really loving loud, especially on takeoff. But there's a world of difference between "wow, that's a really loud plane" and "OH GOD THE END IS NIGH". It really speaks to the level of dissociation that most Americans have to the military these days.

Speaking to several posts here, but the EA-6B is much louder than the F/A-18. It would set off car alarms all over base. The -18s would only do that if they did burner takeoffs. F-16s are practically quiet in comparison until they get real close.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

iyaayas01 posted:

They're registered LX-N***** which is Luxembourg, but if you were to tape over the LX you'd have a United States reg. Not quite sure how it works.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

A380 going to that big airfield in the sky. :angel:

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
I like the guy standing next to it, proudly. "Yeah. This is mine. I drew this."

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Ryanair are cocks, we know.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Aviation news reporting is always bad. But this really sets a new standard for me:

http://tinyurl.com/qexyyxc

"Deborah 94 maintain distance" (Actual: "JetBlue 94 maintain visual")
*long beep*
"Ok what you heard there, that long beep? That was the alarm from the collision warning system" (Actual: It was two or more people trying to broadcast at the same time on the frequency)

They proceed to then trump up the drama with some self proclaimed "expert" to talk about how someone's 5 year old nearly died on this flight.

This is what TCAS actually sounds like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrYqIU0NxHQ

Also note the relatively benign climb and return to assigned altitude. Expeditious compliance is necessary, but it's not like they haul back on the yoke and point the fucker straight up.

The Ferret King fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Feb 3, 2015

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Major Kong Post:

Not Quite Right Stuff: F-104-Starfighter. Reading this can I say: holy poo poo those dynamic shortcomings and Canada had 235 F-104s and lost half of them to accidents?!

The SR-71 Blackbird

The Convair 880, or Why Convair got out of the Airliner Business

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

I just finished help restore the front section of a TWA 880 at the museum I volunteer at. Beautiful airplane, at least the first class section :v:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I read that as TWA 800. :stare:

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

Godholio posted:

I read that as TWA 800. :stare:

After posting, I read that too and got worried. We're right by NYC so who knows...

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Nebakenezzer posted:

Major Kong Post:

Not Quite Right Stuff: F-104-Starfighter. Reading this can I say: holy poo poo those dynamic shortcomings and Canada had 235 F-104s and lost half of them to accidents?!

The SR-71 Blackbird

The Convair 880, or Why Convair got out of the Airliner Business

When I spent a summer in Wilhelmshaven, I remember visiting a Coffin Nail crash site in the woods not far from my host family's home. They called them "Starfires" or "Shooting Stars" IIRC - they killed a lot of German pilots.

Absolutely loving gorgeous aircraft though.

e: dat intake resonance tho https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GcfZXqPJf4

HandlingByJebus fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Feb 3, 2015

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
Huh wonder what those two RBF pins the guy has to remove on each plane out by the tip tanks are for?

Neat resonance tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Duke Chin posted:

A380 going to that big airfield in the sky. :angel:

At the rate that orders are pouring in, the A380 program might be heading to the big airfield in the sky by the end of this year or early next.

Oh, and those RBF pins you're asking about apparently lock the jettison mechanism for the tip tanks. One of the quirks of the Starfighter was that the stows jettison button was close to the throttle, and an errant finger could jettison your pylons and tip tanks unceremoniously on the ramp.

MrChips fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Feb 4, 2015