Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

I'd like to thank some of the posts earlier in the thread with people making piston+conduit logic gates for this madness:

It's not particularly good, but damnit, it WORKS and as far as I can tell it doesn't back up..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TacMan
Aug 8, 2002

Vert used Hyperbeam,
It's super effective!

:steam: El Mole :steam:

Prenton posted:

Can you spot the exact point where I realised I'd finally welded the whole thing together, but had no way to extricate the drat thing? Unless...

can you maybe trigger a lifter to push it up out of there with a sensor?

Kaislioc
Feb 14, 2008
Saw 3D SpaceChem, immediately sold.

Quinton posted:

I think they show you the L shaped welding beam configuration on the informational projected sign when welders are introduced, but it's not until much later in the game that it becomes something you need, so it's easy to forget about it...

Am I the only person that thinks the signs are actually drat near useless?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Kaislioc posted:

Am I the only person that thinks the signs are actually drat near useless?

Some of them are definitely of more use than others. The one showing how to use chemical extraction machine in Relaxant Formula 13 (which I just beat) is pretty much mandatory.

Also, Resource Site 338.11 and 902.41 are making my brain melt so far.

TacMan
Aug 8, 2002

Vert used Hyperbeam,
It's super effective!

:steam: El Mole :steam:
Infinifactigoons is a cool place to relax and hang out, and have a good time. Join the chatroom so that there's more than 2 people here in it!

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

Bhodi posted:

I think the relay satellite puzzle is really interesting. It seems like we all come up with very similar solutions.
...Right.

Edit: Detail; Stampin':

Liftin', Weldin':

50% of the time, it works every time.

Cephalocidal fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Feb 2, 2015

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

The hard part of this level is figuring out how to sort the damned things into 5 separate outputs.

zeekner
Jul 14, 2007

It always wierds me out when I see someone destroying inputs to balance their system. Building self-limiting systems is half the challenge!

On the relaxant-smoothie level, is there any way to run faster than +15 reliably? I just can't get the leaves into the grinder any faster. I have plenty of leaf blocks queued in two columns, but at high speeds 1 out of every 4 containers will come up short. This is what I have right now.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Alkydere posted:

The hard part of this level is figuring out how to sort the damned things into 5 separate outputs.

You have to feed them into the woodchipper thing first. Putting them directly into the output won't work.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Has anyone tried optimizing for inefficiency? What's the longest number of cycles to make a challenge?

There's no slicer, so it's like we can weld things and then cut them apart again and re-weld them, though.

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

President Ark posted:

You have to feed them into the woodchipper thing first. Putting them directly into the output won't work.

Related to this: I hope in the finished game (or at least editor) there are more options for "milling" machines that cut down input in specific ways. They only cropped up a couple of times during the campaign and I thought they were some of the neatest bits with the most potential.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Now I'm wondering if there's a whole set:

https://twitter.com/zachtronics/status/562116056672514049

Zachtronics posted:

Pocket overlord is watching you play Infinifactory and judging your cycle count

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

President Ark posted:

I knew that. I just thought it was funny to see 5 gophers standing on top of each other.

Cephalocidal posted:

Related to this: I hope in the finished game (or at least editor) there are more options for "milling" machines that cut down input in specific ways. They only cropped up a couple of times during the campaign and I thought they were some of the neatest bits with the most potential.

Personally I just want a version of meat packing 2 that has you output only bones and eyes.

Edit: and yes I checked, the meat packer machine does have unique outputs for bone and eye blocks that go in.

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Feb 2, 2015

Wild M
Oct 19, 2007

Assignment Complete! REACTION ERROR: Collisions between atoms are not allowed in reaction programs. The reaction will now be stopped.

Alkydere posted:

Edit: and yes I checked, the meat packer machine does have unique outputs for bone and eye blocks that go in.

Saving everyone some time here, but this is hilarious.

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

fingers like strings of walnuts
Well now I want to assemble an alien overlord out of whale parts.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
I finally finished the last puzzle. Now it's time to go back and optimize some of the hacked together solutions. I feel like the later puzzles become pretty easy once you have all the blocks and get the hang of it. You might not make the optimal solution but putting together some sort of solution gets to be pretty straight forward.

Or maybe I just got better. v0v

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

Uncomfortable Gaze posted:

It always wierds me out when I see someone destroying inputs to balance their system. Building self-limiting systems is half the challenge!
Why time when you can grind. :unsmigghh: Max input speed waits for no man.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Jet Jaguar posted:

Has anyone tried optimizing for inefficiency? What's the longest number of cycles to make a challenge?

There's no slicer, so it's like we can weld things and then cut them apart again and re-weld them, though.

You could make a timer that counts to some arbitrarily high number before letting each input through.

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

Alkydere posted:

That was my first thought as well until you consider you count out 3 or 4 blocks of material on plenty of stages. In this case you are counting out 5 at the end rather than the beginning.

Sure glad I got to the Resource Site 338.11(Meats!?) ; and the thread was doing such a good job with spoilers too. :colbert:

Did they change the animation after the performance review? I don't remember being sucked through a winding tunnel; feels like it was a strait drop before.

Jet Jaguar posted:

GuavaMoment on Intentionally Slow Solutions for SpaceChem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VONQmpoEw-A; even slower: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuHV3CR-2-E

My unintentionally slow Wave Detection Array on the other hand...

:cripes:

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Chunjee posted:

GuavaMoment on Intentionally Slow Solutions for SpaceChem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VONQmpoEw-A; even slower: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuHV3CR-2-E

Yeah, Spacechem let the player make a solution that would run until the heat-death of the universe (if your computer lasted that long). Infinifactory's that much more complex so I wouldn't be surprised you can make even longer setups.

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib
Some dude on reddit posted this relay satelite solution which I found pretty hilarious.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Aaaahhhhh how can I make the leaves going into the dye press thing seamless with no gap? Is there even a way to do it?

Leylite
Nov 5, 2011

Bhodi posted:

Aaaahhhhh how can I make the leaves going into the dye press thing seamless with no gap? Is there even a way to do it?

Probably not completely seamless, since at some point you have to have blocks transition from moving laterally to moving vertically, which seems to always cause a gap as far as I can tell from reading about this kind of stuff on Reddit.

You can at least reduce the frequency of gaps somewhat if you move from single leaf blocks to stacks that are 2-high or greater (welding to get stacks higher than 2), but there will still be gaps preventing you from juicing 1 block per cycle indefinitely.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Didn't think so. Right now I'm playing with welding the leaves into 3 high so maybe that'll work...

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009

Alkydere posted:

Here's the setup I found to be the most effective to get the smallest footprint as well as cycles (it's actually 33 with 3 blocks preventing critter spawning):

Also, here's my round-a-bout solution to Relay Satellite to get around its unusual welding requirement:

Kaislioc
Feb 14, 2008

Can't remember seeing anyone else mention this. If you move your cursor over a horizontal welder/pusher and press alt it will change it to a vertical welder/blocker on the spot. Same goes for sensors and rotators as well. Really helped clean up my toolbar. Who knew that consistently pressing alt instead of shift for the parts menu would end up being useful?

Alkydere posted:

I'd like to thank some of the posts earlier in the thread with people making piston+conduit logic gates for this madness:

It's not particularly good, but damnit, it WORKS and as far as I can tell it doesn't back up..

drat straight. If they want a factory that is fast, efficient actually makes sense they can start paying me. Incidentally gently caress this level.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

Kaislioc posted:

Can't remember seeing anyone else mention this. If you move your cursor over a horizontal welder/pusher and press alt it will change it to a vertical welder/blocker on the spot. Same goes for sensors and rotators as well. Really helped clean up my toolbar. Who knew that consistently pressing alt instead of shift for the parts menu would end up being useful?
They only added that in a recent patch. Still would like some kind of duplicate / copy-paste tool though. :(

Dred_furst
Nov 19, 2007

"Hey look, I'm flying a giant dong"

Desperate Character posted:

Here's the setup I found to be the most effective to get the smallest footprint as well as cycles (it's actually 33 with 3 blocks preventing critter spawning):

Also, here's my round-a-bout solution to Relay Satellite to get around its unusual welding requirement:

My revised method:

result:

original solution:

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014

Alkydere posted:

Aw what it accepts those for valid final products? That's loving bullshit man!

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

how me a frog posted:

Aw what it accepts those for valid final products? That's loving bullshit man!

No, the packing machines accept eye and bone blocks as acceptable inputs. But the mission outputs don't accept them sadly. It will throw an error if you try to sell a packaged eye or spine block.

Anyways, with Terrestrial Survey Drone complete, I have now finished every single official mission:

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014

Alkydere posted:

But the mission outputs don't accept them sadly. It will throw an error if you try to sell a packaged eye or spine block.

Good. I assumed as much and I would have hated to learn I was wrong.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

What's better than making a factory? Making it run faster-ish:

Lots of backup, but it runs at maximum input now!

how me a frog posted:

Good. I assumed as much and I would have hated to learn I was wrong.

Yeah, I discovered it the hard way when I tried to take a checker pattern out of the center of the whale. I saw the spine roll past me and was all "Will the meat packer take that?" followed by "will the output take it?"

Turned out while you can pack a spine, alien overlords aren't terribly interested in eating it.

Edit:

Look guys, if you want me to process whalemeat faster then I'm going to need more packing machines.

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Feb 3, 2015

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

Dred_furst posted:

My revised method:

According to that gif the solar panels appear to teleport into place and attach via magic? :waycool:

Experimented with an extra push here:

Chunjee fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Feb 3, 2015

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
That poor whale. I hope they add more packing machines because I had way, way more meat than I could pack.

zeekner
Jul 14, 2007

I wish they would add optional modifiers/challenges, like 'get 500 whale meat under a specific cycle count'. I love optimizing and screwing with my designs, but goals to shoot for would be pretty nice.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Bhodi posted:

That poor whale. I hope they add more packing machines because I had way, way more meat than I could pack.

I finally got it down to 80 cycles with a rotate. I'm still producing way more whale meat/blubber than I can actually use even though I'm at -10 (minimum) whale frequency.

Uncomfortable Gaze posted:

I wish they would add optional modifiers/challenges, like 'get 500 whale meat under a specific cycle count'. I love optimizing and screwing with my designs, but goals to shoot for would be pretty nice.

No kidding. I wish you could maybe could switch your factories to a challenge mode where you do like 50 outputs to to see if your creation will keep working past 11 or 12.

Edit: spend five minutes building a logic inverter for a Blocker. Only once it's done do I realize an inverted Blocker is just a pusher. :downs:

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Feb 3, 2015

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

The big question: is that SpaceDolphin-safe SpaceWhale?

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

Alkydere posted:

spend five minutes building a logic inverter for a Blocker. Only once it's done do I realize an inverted Blocker is just a pusher. :downs:

An inverted blocker isn't exactly the same as a pusher. Sometimes you need to attach something to the front of it that you don't want to also be attached to a wall or floor, and building that attachment one tile to the side can help you do so.

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

Overlords keeping an eye on progress?

Seriously what is this? Zach do you spy on my worst solutions? :ohdear:

• Locked thread