Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
What was Abe supposed to do in this situation? It was only going to end in death unless wheelbarrows of money were sent to the terrorists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Right after the first demand for the two was released my wife said that Japan (meaning the people and online commentators) were being super naive about it. It was like they hadn't been paying attention to the last six months.

Those two were doomed the moment they were captured.

Kenishi
Nov 18, 2010
I'm of the opinion that this hostage situation couldn't have gone any better for Abe's agenda. It gives him another lever to put pressure on for expanding the range of the SDF which he has wanted for a while, which then gives him an excuse to expand defense spending.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

ocrumsprug posted:

Right after the first demand for the two was released my wife said that Japan (meaning the people and online commentators) were being super naive about it. It was like they hadn't been paying attention to the last six months.

Those two were doomed the moment they were captured.

Was there more or less contempt for the ISIS captives then the Japanese captives captured in Iraq back in 2005? I remember when those captives were freed their families were publicly apologizing to the Japanese people for them getting caught.

Madd0g11
Jun 14, 2002
Bitter Vet
Lipstick Apathy

Kenishi posted:

I'm of the opinion that this hostage situation couldn't have gone any better for Abe's agenda. It gives him another lever to put pressure on for expanding the range of the SDF which he has wanted for a while, which then gives him an excuse to expand defense spending.

I've had the same thoughts that Abe was dancing around because this is the perfect thing he could bring up anytime someone questions his military expansion plans. But it's not like it was an attack by foreign terrorist on Japanese soil, they basically stuck their foot in the bear trap so not sure how much actual leverage he can get out of it. I'm sure it's fired up the legions of internet retards who support him.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Madd0g11 posted:

I'm sure it's fired up the legions of internet retards who support him.

quote:

安倍さんはアラーに宣戦布告した偉大なる日本人のリーダーである。

それは天皇陛下こそが唯一神だからだ。

立てよ国民!

我々日本人の聖地はメッカではなく靖国神社である!!

Ya, seems so.

Kenishi
Nov 18, 2010

Madd0g11 posted:

I've had the same thoughts that Abe was dancing around because this is the perfect thing he could bring up anytime someone questions his military expansion plans. But it's not like it was an attack by foreign terrorist on Japanese soil, they basically stuck their foot in the bear trap so not sure how much actual leverage he can get out of it. I'm sure it's fired up the legions of internet retards who support him.
Well the angle that Abe has been going at for a long time hasn't been the issue of "attack on Japanese soil;" it has been the "must assist our allies around the world." If he wanted to expand the military for issues of protecting Japanese soil, then I don't think he'd have much push back if the reason was even half way legitimate. But I think Abe's vision of a large military far exceeds what most Japanese would think is reasonable for "protection at home." So if he gets people/politicians to get behind the idea that the Japanese need to aid their allies abroad then he can argue that its not sound to help abroad while also reducing the forces at home; therein granting him the ability to increase the military. This strategy for increasing the military and putting money into defense R&D, allows Japan to arm themselves against China without openly provoking them.

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

"I can't wait until cancer inevitably chokes the life out of Curt Schilling."

ReidRansom posted:

Ya, seems so.
loling really hard at "the emperor is the only true god"

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Kurtofan posted:

What was Abe supposed to do in this situation? It was only going to end in death unless wheelbarrows of money were sent to the terrorists.

My reaction was, if I myself was captured by ISIS and heard they were asking for a $200 million ransom, I'd be like -- yeah, that's a bit too much, y'all don't have to pay that I'll just get my head chopped off.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Kurtofan posted:

Just spit-balling here, but maybe not borrow a page from Mitt Romney's campaign playbook and spin the deaths of your countrymen for your own political ends. Also, maybe not be such a gently caress-up with speeches in foreign languages that you actively antagonize the people holding citizens of your country hostage. :iiam:

It does not logically follow that because it was a lost cause then it's okay for Abe to use them as pawns in his political game. People around here weren't happy when it happened with Benghazi, and that was the ultimate lost cause, those people were already dead. Here we had a situation with tremendous incompetence and relentless politicking while people were still alive, and that's cool with people here because the people were gonna die anyway.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Feb 3, 2015

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Protocol 5 posted:

loling really hard at "the emperor is the only true god"

I don't know about you, but I'll readily admit my Japanese is only so so, and so it is entirely possible that post is dripping with sarcasm I'm just not picking up on. But the Japanese don't really do sarcasm, the internet is the internet, and it came from 2ch, so, you know.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

ReidRansom posted:

I don't know about you, but I'll readily admit my Japanese is only so so, and so it is entirely possible that post is dripping with sarcasm I'm just not picking up on. But the Japanese don't really do sarcasm, the internet is the internet, and it came from 2ch, so, you know.

My own knowledge of the Japanese language is basically limited to Google Translate, but I have trouble seeing that statement as anything other than sarcastic, or at least intentionally hyperbolic.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

We'd all love to believe everyone on Freep is being ironic too, but unfortunately, insane right wing people posting dumb poo poo on the internet is pretty real. Sometimes they like to get together and hold rallies in favor of expelling the foreign menace too. They're a big tent of lunacy.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

ErIog posted:

We'd all love to believe everyone on Freep is being ironic too, but unfortunately, insane right wing people posting dumb poo poo on the internet is pretty real. Sometimes they like to get together and hold rallies in favor of expelling the foreign menace too. They're a big tent of lunacy.

Don't get me wrong, I could easily believe the general sentiment is sincere; I wouldn't be surprised if people were posting worse things without irony in the same thread. It's just the "the emperor is the only god" bit that gives it away; how can you be a fascist Shinto fundamentalist and a monotheist?

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Feb 3, 2015

mystes
May 31, 2006

ErIog posted:

Abe's government is also party responsible for the first hostage to begin with as they detained the person that was supposed to be going to help the first hostage get released.
I have trouble seeing the government wanting to investigate/stop Tsuneoka and Nakata as some kind of fuckup. Tsuneoka was involved with and helped the college student, who may just have been an idiot but whatever, and both Tsuneoka and Nakata had offered to participate in the "trial" as interpreters which seems to be going a little far to me.

Frankly, I see both Tsuneoka and Nakata as just wanting attention (which seems slightly ironic considering that this is exactly the way Tsuneoka described the college student).

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Silver2195 posted:

My own knowledge of the Japanese language is basically limited to Google Translate, but I have trouble seeing that statement as anything other than sarcastic, or at least intentionally hyperbolic.

ReidRansom is basically correct when he says that Japanese people don't really "do" sarcasm - I'd bet the house quite a bit on that poster being 100% serious.

Edit: perhaps not the house only because I'd have expected them to mention that Hakko Ichiu monument or something instead of Yasukuni if they were hardcore about it, but it could just as well be your generic 'mainstream' uninformed right winger spouting poo poo he's heard in the media.

Silver2195 posted:

Don't get me wrong, I could easily believe the general sentiment is sincere; I wouldn't be surprised if people were posting worse things without irony in the same thread. It's just the "the emperor is the only god" bit that gives it away; how can you be a fascist Shinto fundamentalist and a monotheist?

The same way people pray to "kamisama" despite Shintoism including innumerable "gods" - don't think too hard about it and keep following through the motions you've been taught, which is incidentally the same way you do pretty much everything else in Japan.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Feb 3, 2015

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Silver2195 posted:

When we were visiting Himeji castle, there was a black van driving around blaring some ultra-right political message.

The emperor is the only god WAS the political message.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Jesus christ, not even crazy right-wingers think the emperor is the only god. Even Kanji Nisho, who wrote what may be the most famous[ly stupid] revisionist history in recent memory, devoted like an entire chapter in his book to how stupid westerners were idiots for believing the complete nonsense that Japanese people believe[d] the emperor is "God" (leading to a complete misunderstanding of the motivations of Japanese people during and after WWII), because in reality the emperor is just the most important and awesome kami :smug:.

mystes fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Feb 3, 2015

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

Sheep posted:

ReidRansom is basically correct when he says that Japanese people don't really "do" sarcasm
Japanese people totally do sarcasm, that's just a baseless stereotype.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Protocol 5 posted:

Japanese people totally do sarcasm, that's just a baseless stereotype.

Are you being sarcastic?

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

If it's sarcasm then it falls under Poe's law. I can't understand why people don't believe that insane right wing people can exist in Japan.

Look up nihon jinron for god sakes. It's silly as poo poo, and it was/is pretty popular.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

ErIog posted:

I can't understand why people don't believe that insane right wing people can exist in Japan.

Japan has to be one of the most poorly understood and idealised countries ever in a long list of contenders (read, every country ever).

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

Disinterested posted:

Japan has to be one of the most poorly understood and idealised countries ever in a long list of contenders (read, every country ever).

In conclusion, Japan is a land of contrasts.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Disinterested posted:

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Ned posted:

In conclusion, Japan is a land of contrasts.

Imagine a Shinto shrine with a motorway flyover being built on top of it - forever.

mystes
May 31, 2006

ErIog posted:

Look up nihon jinron for god sakes. It's silly as poo poo, and it was/is pretty popular.
Yeah, at least 50% of the posts in this thread fall under the category of nihon jinron.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Sonderweg reporting for duty.

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

There are insane right wingers in Japan, but that post still reads like a troll. "Mr. Abe is a the great leader of the Japanese people who declared war on Allah"? Come the gently caress on dudes.

Morkyz
Aug 6, 2013
It look really sarcastic, to me.

Morkyz fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Feb 4, 2015

Kenishi
Nov 18, 2010
Lol, you know there's a problem with a country's business culture when the only option left is to force people to take vacations.

Workaholic Japan considers making it compulsory to take vacation days

quote:

Workers typically use less than half their annual leave, according to a survey by the labor ministry that found employees in 2013 took only nine of their 18.5 days average entitlement.

A separate poll showed that one in six workers took no paid holidays at all that year.

The administration wants to boost the amount of paid leave used to 70 percent by 2020 and is planning to submit legislation in the current Diet session mandating holidays.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

Kenishi posted:

Lol, you know there's a problem with a country's business culture when the only option left is to force people to take vacations.

Workaholic Japan considers making it compulsory to take vacation days

Mandating people take leave is a good idea to take the blame away from them for not being at work, but I wonder if it would actually work. You already have a lot of places basically not bothering to observe pesky things like weekends, national holidays, or their child's first day of high school.

I wonder if mandated leave like this would have weird perverse consequences. You might have businesses pressuring their workers to come in, but "sorry, we can't pay you the overtime rate today because you're getting your regular salary as a paid vacation day according to the law." It's not like businesses give any fucks about actually paying the overtime rate anyway, though. So it probably wouldn't happen like that.

This is a good idea, but Japan doesn't really need more labor laws. It needs to enforce the poo poo already on the books.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

ErIog posted:

Mandating people take leave is a good idea to take the blame away from them for not being at work, but I wonder if it would actually work. You already have a lot of places basically not bothering to observe pesky things like weekends, national holidays, or their child's first day of high school.

I wonder if mandated leave like this would have weird perverse consequences. You might have businesses pressuring their workers to come in, but "sorry, we can't pay you the overtime rate today because you're getting your regular salary as a paid vacation day according to the law." It's not like businesses give any fucks about actually paying the overtime rate anyway, though. So it probably wouldn't happen like that.

This is a good idea, but Japan doesn't really need more labor laws. It needs to enforce the poo poo already on the books.

Am I to assume that unions don't really do much in Japan anymore? I know this story is probably not referring to unionized workers, but I'm still curious.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

ErIog posted:

Yep, you're pretty much right. From what I can tell (mostly anecdotal - I did a lot of personal research since I was job hunting the last couple months) it's very polarized in Japan. Companies are either "white" (follows labor laws, decent salary raises, good work life balance) and or are "black" (disregard labor laws, long hours, high turnovers, power harasses on the regs), with not much in between. This is kind of illustrated in the quoted article since even though the average holiday consumption rate is around 50%, 1 in 6 workers apparently took zero days off. Very polarized.

Perverse consequences probably won't happen though. The black companies will just ignore the laws as always.

I also find it really funny that the closest english counterpart to the japanese black company wikipedia page is "sweatshop" (the first paragraph of the jp page explains why it's different from the concept of sweatshop).

edit: as an aside, a consequence of this point is that it's unfair to broadly label all japanese companies as "give no fucks about overtime" or whatever. Many, many companies in japan, big and small, care a lot about it. My new job which is at a major top 20 market value japanese company pays all overtime, has an ultra lax flex time system (you only have to show up 15 minutes each working day, you can make up the time literally whenever you want), maternity/paternity leave, the works.

Zo fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Feb 5, 2015

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

ErIog posted:

That's one way to hit the nail right on the loving head.

Zo posted:

I also find it really funny that the closest english counterpart to the japanese black company wikipedia page is "sweatshop" (the first paragraph of the jp page explains why it's different from the concept of sweatshop).

edit: as an aside, a consequence of this point is that it's unfair to broadly label all japanese companies as "give no fucks about overtime" or whatever. Many, many companies in japan, big and small, care a lot about it. My new job which is at a major top 20 market value japanese company pays all overtime, has an ultra lax flex time system (you only have to show up 15 minutes each working day, you can make up the time literally whenever you want), maternity/paternity leave, the works.
There's no English counterpart because most countries in the Anglosphere actually enforce their labor laws, which means that widespread violations like this just aren't a thing that can occur in the long term.

Also, I think it is fair to apply a broad label to Japan about giving no gently caress about overtime, as you put it. Your personal anecdotes are absolutely valid but also not the norm by a long stretch by virtue of where you work - you yourself said it's a major top 20 market value Japanese company, which presumably has more resources (not to mention being under far more scrutiny) than the innumerable small businesses that actually make up the majority of companies in the country.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Feb 5, 2015

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

Sheep posted:

Also, I think it is fair to apply a broad label to Japan about giving no gently caress about overtime, as you put it. Your personal anecdotes are absolutely valid but also not the norm by a long stretch by virtue of where you work - you yourself said it's a major top 20 market value Japanese company, which presumably has more resources (not to mention being under far more scrutiny) than the innumerable small businesses that actually make up the majority of companies in the country.

You might be right, but personally I'd be surprised if companies that don't pay overtime are a big majority since overtime is a huge part of many people's salary here. I've never been able to find reliable stats on this topic. If you have I'd love to see it. Overtime statistics are easy to find, but overtime paying stats less so. I guess it's almost impossible to keep track on a population basis given the numerous ways a company can avoid paying overtime, whether みなし残業 falls under this (it should), etc.

Also, company size doesn't really mean they're going to follow rules. Uniqlo is an infamous example of that.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Zo posted:

You might be right, but personally I'd be surprised if companies that don't pay overtime are a big majority since overtime is a huge part of many people's salary here. I've never been able to find reliable stats on this topic. If you have I'd love to see it. Overtime statistics are easy to find, but overtime paying stats less so. I guess it's almost impossible to keep track on a population basis given the numerous ways a company can avoid paying overtime, whether みなし残業 falls under this (it should), etc.

Also, company size doesn't really mean they're going to follow rules. Uniqlo is an infamous example of that.

Aren't the official numbers for every office that all salarymen work 38.5 hours a week, the legal maximum by Japanese law? Japan and labor statistics is a hilarious mess of workarounds and outright lies that literally no one believes. The entire business/work culture is pretty hosed up. Even the innovative industries like Sony stagnated as gently caress as the talent retired and left and rather then promoting the best people they went with the time honored "oldest person gets the promotion"

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Close, Japan's official statistics that they submit to the OECD etc are that the average work week is 34.7 hours: 5 days a week of 9-5 with just under an hour for lunch*. AKA complete and utter, utter bullshit even if you figure in all the haken/baito/housewives doing 4 hours a week pa-tos. For reference, South Korea seems to be a bit more honest and reports 2163 hours/year (41ish hours/week average). It's pretty obvious that Japan decides what they want the world to see and then makes the figures fit.

* hours are reported annually, Japan reports 1735 hours / (52 weeks - 10 national holidays) = 34.7 hours.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Feb 6, 2015

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
My boss back in Japan was always bragging to us that he was working 80+ hours a week. Bragging.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
My personal anecdotes aren't all that important, but you have to ask if they're even being productive working that much or just taking the piss and wasting time. If I had 80 hours a week to work I don't even know what I'd do, I'd be bored out of my skull within a week and a half.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Feb 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Sheep posted:

My personal anecdotes aren't all that important, but you have to ask if they're even being productive working that much or just taking the piss and wasting time. If I had 80 hours a week to work I don't even know what I'd do, I'd be bored out of my skull within a week and a half.

The bulk of it isn't even productive work, it's just being physically there in the building/office longer then your superiors for the sake of being seen. Japan's business culture has been notorious for not adapting labor saving technology and "getting with the times" so to speak. Tokyo Vice, while full of poo poo, had the best anecdote for the Japanese business environment I've ever read. At the paper Adelstein worked at, rather then buying a computer and digitizing records there was a person who's sole job was to collate and sort baseball statistics on file cards and give the cards to the sports reporters when they needed them. He had apparently been doing it for 15-20 years, created his own specific system of how to do it so it was incomprehensible to anyone else, and literally no one on staff or management ever questioned it.

Sheep posted:

Close, Japan's official statistics that they submit to the OECD etc are that the average work week is 34.7 hours: 5 days a week of 9-5 with just under an hour for lunch*. AKA complete and utter, utter bullshit even if you figure in all the haken/baito/housewives doing 4 hours a week pa-tos. For reference, South Korea seems to be a bit more honest and reports 2163 hours/year (41ish hours/week average). It's pretty obvious that Japan decides what they want the world to see and then makes the figures fit.

* hours are reported annually, Japan reports 1735 hours / (52 weeks - 10 national holidays) = 34.7 hours.

Japan's official statistics are such complete horseshit that I can't understand why they even bother submitting them. Does anyone outside of Japan honestly believe those numbers?