Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

qirex posted:

I wonder what uber & lyft will do if they lose that "treating employees like independent contractors" case because it's pretty much their whole business model, uber has infinity lawyer dollars available but if they get a cease and desist in the meantime they'd be kind of hosed

same thing that happened to aereo.

a dash to try and figure something out followed swiftly by bankrupcy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

uber not making it to an exit event [other than exiting being a working business] would give me great pleasure, especially if they managed their finances as well as everything else in their org, watching different vcs sue each other for years would be nice

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
a few pages ago but

Citizen Tayne posted:

If any amount of money could vanish from your checking account without you noticing, you're an idiot and a gently caress-up.

rule 36

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

lol if you don't obsessively check your accounts daily for suspicious activity

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Citizen Tayne posted:

fast food is nothing like a dollar store or a check cashing place.

yeah, the latter are only financially harmful, not biologically

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

qirex posted:

welp, looks like zombie battery retailer rat shack might finally die

wonder how much the complete swath of TRS-80 intellectual property would cost at auction...

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

yeah

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos

Sassafras fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Feb 4, 2015

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
that's fine, because for the most part, west coast residents are hollow golems, made by the drool of some idiot god-king mixing with the dust as he ambled up and down the San Andreas

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
tori is underpaid fo rhis area not just compared to bay area.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Jonny 290 posted:

that's fine, because for the most part, west coast residents are hollow golems, made by the drool of some idiot god-king mixing with the dust as he ambled up and down the San Andreas

yeah but fusion tacos

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Sassafras posted:

I think this is where the west coast people make fun of you for getting paid something like 40,000 a year in Pittsburgh and needing to worry about how much you're spending instead of having enough saved to retire before 40 "by accident".

i thought tori earned 60k

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

born on a buy you posted:

tori is underpaid fo rhis area not just compared to bay area.

once the house stuff settles I'll follow up on stuff, but it's hard for me to be indignant about it when I'm not suffering or limiting my lifestyle.

Apr 7, 2003

Forums Terrorist posted:

I complained and got a $4k raise

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All

Citizen Tayne posted:

once the house stuff settles I'll follow up on stuff, but it's hard for me to be indignant about it when I'm not suffering or limiting my lifestyle.

i know 0 about home loans but why can't you change jobs while applying?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

looks unstable

Apr 7, 2003

there's a clause in just about every contract that a change in employment status before closing will terminate the financing agreement

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
wild. it seems like jumping jobs for a large raise would be good. lol that loans require you to stay at your job. "not only are you fixed to this job market physically. you are contractually chained to your current job"

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

wild. it seems like jumping jobs for a large raise would be good. lol that loans require you to stay at your job. "not only are you fixed to this job market physically. you are contractually chained to your current job"

right but mortgage is an old world legacy market. they still are thinking in terms of Careers and Pensions, they don't know 21st century job hoppin and such.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Jonny 290 posted:

same but his ejaculate

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

BONGHITZ posted:

same but his ejaculate

the tale of 'ol johnny spoogeseed

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012

Forums Terrorist posted:

Added to YOSPOS.xlsx

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

uh, you realize that this is like why FHA poo poo exists and people push a "culture of ownership" in America, right?

tying working class people to physical locations is a massive benefit for capital, as it restricts the free geographic movement of labor. it's been a massive boom to the deunionization of America - consider that automakers can up and build a plant in bumfuck, al (usually with massive tax incentives) and reorient their labor costs around the new, lower, cost of living. if workers had the ability to move around as much then the highly skilled workers from northern factories could have followed the plants and attempted to command their higher wage due to greater skill

if you can't afford to move you're essentially captive to whatever the local prevailing labor market decides is a fair value. your boss (and his boss and so forth) suffer none of those restrictions and can (and will) pull up stakes in a heartbeat

in summary full communism now

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Nintendo Kid posted:

revert to only employing their best performing uber black drivers, this time as actual employees, claim that uberx was just a testing phase that they're done with.

they can't do this without angering their board (who are all invested at some ridiculous valuation that assumes literally everyone will spend all day ubering around in the near future). someone will vulture the black business but it won't be under current management

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
http://techcrunch.com/2015/02/02/uber-opening-robotics-research-facility-in-pittsburgh-to-build-self-driving-cars/

will the uberbots also assault customers?

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

you're blurring the pretty stark line between "until closing" and "the duration of the loan" here

i just know i get a really big break on my taxes because i'm paying up into a higher class of wealth than renters

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

well I don't think google's going to be giving them much more help

the thing is that major automakers have already spent billions on this problem and they're making decent progrees, not sure why re-inventing the world is going to do anything for them unless it's just a way to build a patent portfolio

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
idk I'll never take out a loan

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

The big job cuts eBay promised last month are here.

On Monday, eBay and PayPal began notifying employees who were losing their jobs as part of the cuts, multiple sources tell Re/code, as management looks to scale back initiatives that haven’t panned out ahead of the planned split of the two companies in the second half of this year.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

lol what the hell is uber's endgame here? a fleet of self-driving cars would be way more expensive than the 80% of fares they'd reclaim by eliminating drivers. every time someone pisses/shits/fucks in one of their self driving cars they gotta fix it, plus any vandalism, wear and tear, and liability in case of wrecks. i guess they're just trying real hard to get bought before their vc chickens come home to roost.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Main Paineframe posted:

playpump was an idea to replace hand-operated water pumps in africa with spinny playground equipment, with the idea that they would siphon off the kinetic energy from kids playing on them to operate the water pump. charities and aid organizations loved it and tens of millions of dollars were spent on building them all over africa

except each one cost $14,000, the pump didn't deliver enough water even when kids were playing on it, tons of them broke down and the company was slow to fix them and refused to pay for replacing broken ones, and it turned out kids didn't like them all that much so adults ended up having to play on them since there was no manual pump option
kids (under 10 or so) already hang out at manual pumps and wait for people to need water so they can jump up on the handle and use their body mass to pull it down

foreign aid for building/installing stuff that breaks is awful and stupid no matter what it is. unless a local organization can go out to these remote places within a day or two to fix poo poo or train locals to do so then once they break they are broken forever

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Condiv posted:

lol what the hell is uber's endgame

the founders exiting with more money than they'll ever need.

that part is probably already secured so now it's just a matter of more more more until the bubble pops.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

I was gonna say, didn't we fund porpoises to do that then I looked at the user name

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Condiv posted:

lol what the hell is uber's endgame here? a fleet of self-driving cars would be way more expensive than the 80% of fares they'd reclaim by eliminating drivers. every time someone pisses/shits/fucks in one of their self driving cars they gotta fix it, plus any vandalism, wear and tear, and liability in case of wrecks. i guess they're just trying real hard to get bought before their vc chickens come home to roost.

i bet uber's goal with the robot car stuff is to get an uber app installed in other people's self-driving cars, so that whenever people aren't using their self-driving car it can go drive for uber and in return the car's owner gets paid some percentage of the fares their car picks up

that way all liability, maintenance, repair, and cleaning still falls to the car's owner, but uber gets more vehicle availability and fewer rapes since there doesn't have to be a driver in the car to do the ubering

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

all of mankind's great advances have come with rapes

Phoning It In
Oct 17, 2010

Main Paineframe posted:

i bet uber's goal with the robot car stuff is to get an uber app installed in other people's self-driving cars, so that whenever people aren't using their self-driving car it can go drive for uber and in return the car's owner gets paid some percentage of the fares their car picks up

that way all liability, maintenance, repair, and cleaning still falls to the car's owner, but uber gets more vehicle availability and fewer rapes since there doesn't have to be a driver in the car to do the ubering

robouber: a solution to a problem that doesn't exist, which is a solution that hasn't been invented yet to another problem that doesn't exist

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Main Paineframe posted:

:pwn:

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Phoning It In posted:

robouber: a solution to a problem that doesn't exist, which is a solution that hasn't been invented yet to another problem that doesn't exist
innovation

Misandrist Duck
Oct 22, 2012

qirex posted:

well I don't think google's going to be giving them much more help

Earlier today it came out that Google is developing an Uber competitor. The two companies clearly had a falling out and I can't wait for the juicy details to emerge.

Bloomberg posted:

Google is preparing to offer its own ride-hailing service, most likely in conjunction with its long-in-development driverless car project. Drummond has informed Uber's board of this possibility, according to a person close to the Uber board, and Uber executives have seen screenshots of what appears to be a Google ride-sharing app that is currently being used by Google employees. This person, who requested not to be named because the talks are private, said the Uber board is now weighing whether to ask Drummond to resign his position as an Uber board member.

Those comments, according to the person familiar with deliberations of the Uber's board, have left executives at Uber deeply concerned—for good reason. Google is a deep-pocketed, technically sophisticated competitor, and Uber’s dependence on the search giant goes far beyond capital. Uber’s smartphone applications for drivers and riders are based on Google Maps, which gives Google a fire hose of data about transportation patterns within cities. Uber would be crippled if it lost access to the industry-leading mapping application, and alternatives— such as AOL's MapQuest, Apple Maps, and a host of regional players—are widely seen as inferior.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
holy lol uber's about to get disrupted by google, who's been drinking their mapping/usage data through a straw

this is awesome, because i'd give it a year, maybe two before google gets bored of trying to make their self driving bullshit actually work and gives up on the whole thing

just long enough to starve out uber

• Locked thread