Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

They also both ate LIVE CATS AND DOGS. :stonk:

How the hell does someone eat a live cat/puppy? Just start taking bites out of it while it cries and claws at you? What the gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

There is no doubt in my mind that most of the stories of Tarrare are old wive's tales and playground rumors that got out of hand. There are very few primary sources about the guy.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Content. I'm hoping these haven't been posted yet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tarrare
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Domery

Tarrare and Charles Domery are perhaps the most well-known sufferers of polyphagia in human medical history, or at least the most well-known people to suffer from it as an isolated medical condition. They had quite-literally insatiable appetites throughout their lives, beginning at very young ages and supposedly lasting until their deaths. They could (and did) eat or drink just about anything, regardless of whether or not it was actually food.

Both men were contemporaries of each other, with Tarrare being born in 1772 and Domery being born a few years later. Both men also spent time serving in their respective country's military.

Polyphagia of this degree is not well understood in the medical world hardly at all; Tarrare and Charles Domery are apparently the only widely known cases of the condition. However, only Tarrare received any kind of documented autopsy following his death. Charles Domery seems to have fallen off the map sometime in the early 19th century, as there are no solid historical records about his life after that time.

I could be mistaken about her actual condition, but I think I went to school with a girl who had some form of this. She had an adult "helper" with her at all times who watched her like a hawk. Otherwise she would try to steal from people's lunch boxes and backpacks. I can remember multiple times where she stole a honey bun or oatmeal cream pie or something out of someone's backpack and the helper would have to bodily restrain her and remove her from the room. She'd basically go from being a teenager to an infant in that instant, kicking and screaming and crying. It was pretty hard to watch, and a drat shame, too, because when she was fine, she was a sweet and pleasant girl, if a bit shy because she was embarrassed about her condition. She was a year or two behind me, but I found out a lot about it because I knew the woman who helped her- she was the mother of one of my friends- and my senior year I was a library assistant, and the girl had to have her lunches in the back room of the library away from other students so she wouldn't be tempted, so I'd keep them company.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Mak0rz posted:

There is no doubt in my mind that most of the stories of Tarrare are old wive's tales and playground rumors that got out of hand. There are very few primary sources about the guy.

So he ate his biographers?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

New Leaf posted:

I could be mistaken about her actual condition, but I think I went to school with a girl who had some form of this. She had an adult "helper" with her at all times who watched her like a hawk. Otherwise she would try to steal from people's lunch boxes and backpacks. I can remember multiple times where she stole a honey bun or oatmeal cream pie or something out of someone's backpack and the helper would have to bodily restrain her and remove her from the room.

I remember an episode of Extreme Makeover Home Edition where the family wanted some high-tech security poo poo on their fridge, pantry, and cupboards because their son, whom had a similar condition, was getting older and able to get past the toddler-proof locks. He would literally eat until he died if given the chance and had to get his stomach pumped to save his life on more than one occasion.

Ague Proof posted:

So he ate his biographers?

:golfclap:

Steampunk iPhone
Sep 2, 2009

by XyloJW

New Leaf posted:

I could be mistaken about her actual condition, but I think I went to school with a girl who had some form of this. She had an adult "helper" with her at all times who watched her like a hawk. Otherwise she would try to steal from people's lunch boxes and backpacks. I can remember multiple times where she stole a honey bun or oatmeal cream pie or something out of someone's backpack and the helper would have to bodily restrain her and remove her from the room. She'd basically go from being a teenager to an infant in that instant, kicking and screaming and crying. It was pretty hard to watch, and a drat shame, too, because when she was fine, she was a sweet and pleasant girl, if a bit shy because she was embarrassed about her condition. She was a year or two behind me, but I found out a lot about it because I knew the woman who helped her- she was the mother of one of my friends- and my senior year I was a library assistant, and the girl had to have her lunches in the back room of the library away from other students so she wouldn't be tempted, so I'd keep them company.

She probably had [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Micropenis#mediaviewer/File:Flacid_Micropenis.jpg]Prader-Willi syndrome[/url, which causes increased levels of hunger-related hormones. But as far as I know, people with Prader-Willi just eat tons of food; they don't eat random poo poo like metal and and live animals. Not sure what's going on with those guys.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Depends on how severe it is, go through my ? for when you posted that before. :v: I linked a good documentary and such about it.

Some kids will, they'll eat their hair and pick their skin and eat out of bins. Live animals would probably require some form of social conditioning on top of it.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

RCarr posted:

How the hell does someone eat a live cat/puppy? Just start taking bites out of it while it cries and claws at you? What the gently caress.

You'd do it as though you were skinning them for fur. Euth beforehand then munch away!

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

NuminaXLT posted:

Not Wikipedia, but

Can someone change the thread title to emphasize the "article or wikipedia" part? Because this happens like once a page.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Now that I look back on it, I don't think the animals they ate were alive (at least not all of them), but rather were just freshly killed. And as far as social conditioning is concerned, Charles Domery in particular appears to have expressed regret about killing and eating a cat, and indicated that he was empathetic to a significant degree toward their plight and suffering. Don't know how much that can be said for Tarrare, but at the very least, it seems like both men had some form of functioning moral conscience.

What confounds me is how either man could've eaten the things that they ate while suffering relatively few outwardly-apparent negative side effects from doing so, and how either man was able to adequately digest it all. Domery in particular hardly ever vomited up any of the things he ate unless it included huge quantities of meat. Domery also doesn't appear to have undergone too many major hygienic effects from eating as much as he did; compare this to Tarrare, who stank to high holy heaven on a constant basis, and whose reakage was so rear end-heinous that his body may have given off visible, cartoon-like stink vapors (then again, he was also French, sooo... :france::downsrim:).

Unfortunately, since historical records about Domery are scarce and we don't have any record of his autopsy, and since there aren't any other well-documented cases of anybody else with similar symptoms, we don't have much info to help us say exactly what could've caused either man's condition. Both men's wiki pages offer some physical descriptions that might be useful from a pathological perspective, though. From Tarrare's page:

Wikipedia posted:

Despite his unusual diet, Tarrare was slim and of average height. At the age of 17, he weighed only 100 pounds (45 kg; 7 st 2 lb). He was described as having unusually soft fair hair and an abnormally wide mouth, in which his teeth were heavily stained and on which the lips were almost invisible. When he had not eaten, his skin would hang so loosely that he could wrap the fold of skin from his abdomen around his waist. When full, his abdomen would distend "like a huge balloon". The skin of his cheeks was wrinkled and hung loosely, and when stretched out, he could hold twelve eggs or apples in his mouth. His body was hot to the touch and he sweated heavily, constantly suffering from foul body odour; he was described as stinking "to such a degree that he could not be endured within the distance of twenty paces". This smell would get noticeably worse after he had eaten, his eyes and cheeks would become bloodshot, a visible vapour would rise from his body, and he would become lethargic, during which time he would belch noisily and his jaws would make swallowing motions. He suffered from chronic diarrhoea, which was said to be "fetid beyond all conception". Despite his large intake of food, he did not appear either to vomit excessively or to gain weight. Aside from his eating habits, his contemporaries saw no apparent signs of mental illness or unusual behaviour in him, other than an apparently apathetic temperament with "a complete lack of force and ideas".

There's also this, from Tarrare's autopsy:

Wikipedia posted:

The corpse rotted quickly; the surgeons of the hospital refused to dissect it. Tessier, however, wanted to find out how Tarrare differed from the norm internally, and was also curious as to whether the gold fork was actually lodged inside him. At the autopsy, Tarrare's gullet was found to be abnormally wide and when his jaws were opened, surgeons could see down a broad canal into the stomach. His body was found to be filled with pus, his liver and gallbladder were abnormally large, and his stomach was enormous, covered in ulcers and filling most of his abdominal cavity.

I. M. Gei has a new favorite as of 03:46 on Feb 3, 2015

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.
Can't talk about odd eating habits without mentioning pica: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pica_%28disorder%29

quote:

Pica is characterized by an appetite for substances that are largely non-nutritive, such as paper, clay, metal, chalk, soil, glass, or sand.

The first picture is of a person's stomach contents, containing nails, buttons, small pebbles and safety pins. :stare:

In some cases, people eat odd stuff like clay or soil because it actually contained a nutrient they needed. It's also common during pregnancy.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Now that I look back on it, I don't think the animals they ate were alive (at least not all of them), but rather were just freshly killed. And as far as social conditioning is concerned, Charles Domery in particular appears to have expressed regret about killing and eating a cat, and indicated that he was empathetic to a significant degree toward their plight and suffering. Don't know how much that can be said for Tarrare, but at the very least, it seems like both men had some form of functioning moral conscience.

What confounds me is how either man could've eaten the things that they ate while suffering relatively few outwardly-apparent negative side effects from doing so, and how either man was able to adequately digest it all. Domery in particular hardly ever vomited up any of the things he ate unless it included huge quantities of meat. Domery also doesn't appear to have undergone too many major hygienic effects from eating as much as he did; compare this to Tarrare, who stank to high holy heaven on a constant basis, and whose reakage was so rear end-heinous that his body may have given off visible, cartoon-like stink vapors (then again, he was also French, sooo... :france::downsrim:).

Unfortunately, since historical records about Domery are scarce and we don't have any record of his autopsy, and since there aren't any other well-documented cases of anybody else with similar symptoms, we don't have much info to help us say exactly what could've caused either man's condition. Both men's wiki pages offer some physical descriptions that might be useful from a pathological perspective, though. From Tarrare's page:

There's also this, from Tarrare's autopsy:

Both those guys have been discussed in the this thread and previous versions of it and I think most people are of the idea that neither men probably existed, or at least not to the extent they're reported on. Especially considering the similarities between the two men and the fact that they were contemporaries, meaning they were probably just one set of stories or wives tales that spread around under different names at the time.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I dunno, I think there are enough differences between the two stories that at least one of the men, if not both of them, could have easily existed at some point. The attributes shared by both stories, for the most part, strike me as things that would be plausible or common for people suffering from conditions like theirs in that time period. Their alleged birth countries are far enough apart that it seems unlikely both tales evolved from the circulation of one single story.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Nettle Soup posted:

Depends on how severe it is, go through my ? for when you posted that before. :v: I linked a good documentary and such about it.

Some kids will, they'll eat their hair and pick their skin and eat out of bins. Live animals would probably require some form of social conditioning on top of it.

Actually, that video doesn't seem to be available any more. But yeah, it is a disturbing disease, the thought of having the constant feeling of starvation is horrible.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Eating stuff like ice I can understand. It lowers your body temperature which makes it nice to have whenever it's hot outside, and it's got the same nutritional value as regular water.

It's just really bad for your teeth to chew big pieces of it, is all.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Maybe we should change the subject.

Here's one I haven't seen mentioned on the first or last few pages.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raymond_Robinson_(Green_Man) (slightly :nms: for photo of an old faceless dude)

Raymond Robinson, also known as "the Green Man", was the victim of an electrical accident as a young child that caused him to lose most of his face, including his nose, both eyeballs, and one of his outer ears. His appearance in public scared people so badly that he pretty much stopped leaving his house except to go on walks around his neighborhood at night (he was called "the Green Man" because he apparently glowed in the dark as a result of the accident).

Despite his scary appearance, he was reportedly an awesome dude, if a little shy because of his condition. He was a super nice guy who was well-liked by everybody that knew him. Sometimes he'd even pose for pictures with strangers in exchange for beers. :cheers:

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Eating stuff like ice I can understand. It lowers your body temperature which makes it nice to have whenever it's hot outside, and it's got the same nutritional value as regular water.

It's just really bad for your teeth to chew big pieces of it, is all.

Eating ice compulsively is actually commonly associated with iron deficiency anemia.

No one's 100% sure why that is, since the idea that pica sufferers only eat what they're deficient in is now seen as kind of iffy at best and ice water isn't particularly iron rich, but it does seem to go away with treatment. It could be as simple as soothing symptoms since anemia makes your mouth pretty irritated.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Stick Insect posted:

Can't talk about odd eating habits without mentioning pica: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pica_%28disorder%29

The first picture is of a person's stomach contents, containing nails, buttons, small pebbles and safety pins. :stare:

In some cases, people eat odd stuff like clay or soil because it actually contained a nutrient they needed. It's also common during pregnancy.

Is this the thing behind the old joke of pregnant women suddenly getting cravings for cucumbers dipped in strawberry ice cream or pretzels smothered in butterscotch?

monny
Oct 20, 2008

dollar dollar bill, y'all

Freudian posted:

pretzels smothered in butterscotch

I am neither a woman nor pregnant, but this sounds goddamn delicious.

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.

Stick Insect posted:

I've taken friends to see that, it's at the Glore Psychiatric Museum in St. Joseph, Missouri (along with other weird poo poo). They are always fascinated. It's an awesome museum, if you're ever in the KC area (St. Jo is about 45 minutes north from the airport; it's a ways if you're, in say Overland Park, but worth it). Another neat artifacts is of a TV hollowed out and stuffed full of scraps of paper that somebody would write their thoughts out. And various art works by schizophrenics.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Freudian posted:

Is this the thing behind the old joke of pregnant women suddenly getting cravings for cucumbers dipped in strawberry ice cream or pretzels smothered in butterscotch?

I always heard pickles and ice cream but I guess a whole bunch of weird combinations came about (or were made up). Also agree with monny, those pretzels sound amazing, that's the least weird craving I've heard about.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Pregnant women just start craving weird foods and activities. One woman I knew would get stuck on a single movie every time she got pregnant and watch it nearly every day at least once. Though the movie would change between pregnancies, they were always somber drama films.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Pica is specifically craving stuff that either isn't food or is technically edible but has basically no nutritional value (like ice). Craving actual food that's just kind of weird isn't really a condition per se since it's not really doing any harm, it's just odd.

Every pregnant woman I've known either had no real cravings at all or just wanted rather ordinary stuff (pizza, tacos, etc.) constantly. The pickles and ice cream stuff happens I'm sure, but it tends to get played up for laughs I think.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

From my experience the weird cravings tend to be things that they have eaten before, particularly childhood treats. So to someone on the outside the food sounds weird, but she has already had it and isn't feeling up to explaining why she knows it's good, or doesn't actually remember having weirder food at a much younger age. So things like very particular flavors of ice cream from their hometown, ultra regional foods, and the like. I know my friend sounded really crazy to her hubby while trying to explain how to cook ropa vieja.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Steampunk iPhone posted:

She probably had Quoter's note: DO NOT CLICK THE LINK AT WORKPrader-Willi syndrome, which causes increased levels of hunger-related hormones. But as far as I know, people with Prader-Willi just eat tons of food; they don't eat random poo poo like metal and and live animals. Not sure what's going on with those guys.

Dude, seriously? Not loving cool. I just opened a giant picture of a micropenis at work. Thanks, prick.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer

I dunno, I think there are enough differences between the two stories that at least one of the men, if not both of them, could have easily existed at some point. The attributes shared by both stories, for the most part, strike me as things that would be plausible or common for people suffering from conditions like theirs in that time period. Their alleged birth countries are far enough apart that it seems unlikely both tales evolved from the circulation of one single story.

There's also this guy: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michel_Lotito He died in 2007, and he ate his crazy meals (like a plane) in public.

And just in case you were wondering --

quote:

He also had no problem "passing" his unusual diet.

Whew, I was so worried.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

New Leaf posted:

Dude, seriously? Not loving cool. I just opened a giant picture of a micropenis at work. Thanks, prick.

y'all deserve it for not hovering over the link, smdh

DotyManX
Aug 9, 2004
Yeah I drive a minivan, big deal, wanna fight about it?

NuminaXLT posted:

The murderpedia article has a transcript,.. the only Wikipedia article i found that mentioned it was https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honor_killing_in_the_United_States

Just unnerving that to someone that MURDER is their response to a sixteen year old liking different stuff than your parents. Which is pretty much what every teen does anyways.

From the last page but this reminded me of a video I watched years ago in highschool that freaked me out. It was about these types of honor killings which I gather are somewhat common place in areas like rural Pakistan; and they were interviewing a man who had killed his sister and asked him didn't it make him sad to do it. He looked at them without blinking an eye and said "if a plate gets broken, you don't cry that it broke you just throw it away."

Cmdr Tomalak
Aug 13, 2007

How long shall we stare at each other across the Neutral Zone?

Maybe we should change the subject.

Here's one I haven't seen mentioned on the first or last few pages.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raymond_Robinson_(Green_Man) (slightly :nms: for photo of an old faceless dude)

Raymond Robinson, also known as "the Green Man", was the victim of an electrical accident as a young child that caused him to lose most of his face, including his nose, both eyeballs, and one of his outer ears. His appearance in public scared people so badly that he pretty much stopped leaving his house except to go on walks around his neighborhood at night (he was called "the Green Man" because he apparently glowed in the dark as a result of the accident).

Despite his scary appearance, he was reportedly an awesome dude, if a little shy because of his condition. He was a super nice guy who was well-liked by everybody that knew him. Sometimes he'd even pose for pictures with strangers in exchange for beers. :cheers:

There's a guy who comes in my work sometimes who reminds me of the Green Man story, and I hate myself for making that connection. I don't know what happened to him, but he has only a stump of a nose, and is missing part of his upper lip. He's a really nice, friendly guy - he always makes jokes about how he's buying iced coffee in the dead of winter but...drat. It is really, really unnerving.

And to make it worse, I have a slight phobia of medical issues/conditions like that, so I have a hard time serving him, and have to look away or down the entire time. I try to be casual about it, but still...he must think I'm such an rear end in a top hat :(

Buh
May 17, 2008

It's not unlikely once the story spread to other places; any Filthy Foreign Parts will do if you can't remember which is which, it just has to be far away enough that people will believe crazy stories about it. Even today Westerners will believe anything about China or Japan.

Fool and the World
Dec 8, 2010
Seriously, have you SEEN the japan.jpg thread?

Otto Von Jizzmark
Dec 27, 2004

New Leaf posted:

Come on guy dont you know what forum your on. Your lucky your boss wasn't behind you and it was the classic goat man.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

New Leaf posted:

On the other hand, thanks to his dickery (pun intended) I now know that "Dr. Money" is an actual name had by at least one real-life person. The More You Know. :mrgw:

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

bean_shadow posted:

I've taken friends to see that, it's at the Glore Psychiatric Museum in St. Joseph, Missouri (along with other weird poo poo). They are always fascinated. It's an awesome museum, if you're ever in the KC area (St. Jo is about 45 minutes north from the airport; it's a ways if you're, in say Overland Park, but worth it). Another neat artifacts is of a TV hollowed out and stuffed full of scraps of paper that somebody would write their thoughts out. And various art works by schizophrenics.

Well, guess I know what I'm doing this weekend! I love museums and weird medical stuff and had no idea that something like that was so close to KC. Thanks for the tip!

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

Well, guess I know what I'm doing this weekend! I love museums and weird medical stuff and had no idea that something like that was so close to KC. Thanks for the tip!

If you want another tip there's a picture of a microdick further up the page :)

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Frostwerks posted:

If you want another tip there's a picture of a microdick further up the page :)

At least microdick would be honest when he says only the tip will go in

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Micropenis actually leads to another unnerving Wikipedia article.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Reimer

David Reimer, a man who lost most of his penis as a baby and was raised as a woman by his parents as a result. He had an identical twin brother who didn't lose his penis, and together the two were observed and, uh... "counseled" (:gonk:) by gender studies pioneer and probable Aatrek relative Dr. John Money.

It's a loving sad story, but at the end of the day it's largely thanks to these men and the terrible decisions of Reimer's family that we know the things we do today about the nature and development of gender dynamics in humans.

Also, Dr. Money was a living example of how bad people can do good things, with bad ideas, but good intentions... even if he was a pedophile (which he probably was. Seriously man, were the naked little boy photos :airquote:for science:airquote: REALLY necessary?).

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Seriously man, were the naked little boy photos :airquote:for science:airquote: .

He did more than that. He made the Reimer twins dry-hump each other, with David (then Brenda) always in a submissive role, because that will make him want to be a girl or something.

We learned a lot about gender identity from Money's experiment, but the entire story is really hosed up. In the end David grew up to be severely depressed and eventually ended things by blowing his own face off with a shotgun. Everything about that guy's life was tragic as hell.

Mak0rz has a new favorite as of 20:13 on Feb 4, 2015

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Mak0rz posted:

We learned a lot about gender identity from Money's experiment, but the entire story is really hosed up. In the end David grew up to be severely depressed and eventually ended things by blowing his own face off with a shotgun. Everything about that guy's life was tragic as hell.

And his twin brother Brian (the one with the functioning dick) developed schizophrenia and died after overdosing on antidepressants. Both brothers' fuckups (and eventual deaths) likely being at least partially results of Dr. Money's... uhh... "work", I guess.

In fairness, though, it sounds like Dr. Money eventually repented for his actions later in life, after his theories were finally disproven.

Wikipedia posted:

Privately, Money was mortified by the case, colleagues said, and as a rule did not discuss it. Money's own views also developed and changed over the years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK

Also, Dr. Money was a living example of how bad people can do good things, with bad ideas, but good intentions... even if he was a pedophile (which he probably was. Seriously man, were the naked little boy photos :airquote:for science:airquote: REALLY necessary?).

This whole page is a treasure trove for this stuff. Apparently virtually everything we know about hypothermia and how to treat it and so on originates from experiments by the Nazis. There's probably another half dozen fields who can "thank" them as well.