Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Rhyno posted:

Psh.

Bow &Arrow force.

Or as its been known for a week or so now, the Lars Anderson Force.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Kibayasu posted:

Or as its been known for a week or so now, the Lars Anderson Force.

The forces of video editing and being able to fire a 20# draw weight bow really fast?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's a weak force.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Rocksicles posted:

Tell me more about weird canadian names for stuff.

get this, we call restrooms "washrooms!"

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Rhyno posted:

Psh.

Bow &Arrow force.

Pretty sure it's just force force.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
I just watched the episode, and drat. I didn't think before that I could hate Laurel more, but apparently it is possible. Not only is she utterly useless and annoying, but also a loving terrible person for lying to and manipulating her dad like that regarding Sarah. And she still spends half of every episode teary-eyed.

I've resigned myself to the fact that she will never develop as a character.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Well she isn't a drunk anymore.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

GreenNight posted:

At least embittered, drunken Laural was unintentional comic relief.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Lying to Lance like that is clearly Felicity's idea.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

GreenNight posted:

That's the thing, people hoped that the drunk episodes were her hitting bottom, and speculated that it was going to be uphill from there on. Instead we get an idiot who repeatedly gets her rear end kicked by common thugs and is basically a lying whore.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
I was going to say that her struggling as she learns to be a vigilante is a pretty clear part of the uphill journey to becoming black canary but that last lying whore part really helps explain what people's problem with Laurel is.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Huh, I guess enraged_camel really does just go into every TV show thread to complain about women.

I dont know posted:

At least embittered, drunken Laural was unintentional comic relief.
C'mon now how is this not hilarious

x

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
You guys can rip on Katie til the cows come home. She's thrown herself into the physical side of the role and seems to love being on the show as much as Amell does. Not too often an entire cast shows this kind of love for what they do and their fans.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

BrianWilly posted:

Huh, I guess enraged_camel really does just go into every TV show thread to complain about women.

I've only complained about two women: Iris on The Flash (who is also very useless) and Laurel on this show.

But hey, my mistake for wanting strong female characters who actually do useful things. :downs:

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Didn't you also complain about the fact that Agent Carter depicts misogyny or something? And weren't you also in the Korra thread complaining about, I dunno, lesbians or whatever? Sure hey maybe I just imagined all that.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

BrianWilly posted:

Didn't you also complain about the fact that Agent Carter depicts misogyny or something? And weren't you also in the Korra thread complaining about, I dunno, lesbians or whatever? Sure hey maybe I just imagined all that.

The Korra thing wasn't me. As for Carter, I said the show misrepresents misogyny.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

enraged_camel posted:

I've only complained about two women: Iris on The Flash (who is also very useless) and Laurel on this show.

But hey, my mistake for wanting strong female characters who actually do useful things. :downs:

So you go into threads just to complain about 40% of women? Are you Mitt Romney?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Habibi posted:

So you go into threads just to complain about 40% of women? Are you Mitt Romney?

I complain about other things too!

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

VDay posted:

I was going to say that her struggling as she learns to be a vigilante is a pretty clear part of the uphill journey to becoming black canary but that last lying whore part really helps explain what people's problem with Laurel is.

She has spent a season and a half being little other than a massive timesink, at some point you guys need to drop the bullshit and admit that her character has been cosmically poorly handled.

I have nothing against the actor Katie Cassidy, I am sure that, given a good arc, she could turn in a fine performance. That has not happened. The drunk Laurel arc eliminated whatever goodwill remained for the character from season 1. I don't give a poo poo about the trials and tribulations of a fake drunk on my pulpy comic book show, I deal with enough of those in my real life. What we've gotten so far in terms of the Canary is too little, too late.

Honestly, I could care less about ~*realism*~ at this point. Pump her full of mirakuru, throw her in a lazarus pit, have Nyssa train her overnight, whatever. Just get her to the point where she can actually fill the shoes of the character they killed off for her, because I'm sick of waiting.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Habibi posted:

So you go into threads just to complain about 47% of women? Are you Mitt Romney?

FTFY :eng101:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Xealot posted:

You murdered her!

"You murdered 500 people!"

I wonder if Merlyn shows up, the police will just rush in en masse to arrest him and completely ignore Brick since he's relatively small-time compared to one of the worst mass-murderers in US history.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

JohnSherman posted:

She has spent a season and a half being little other than a massive timesink, at some point you guys need to drop the bullshit and admit that her character has been cosmically poorly handled.

I have nothing against the actor Katie Cassidy, I am sure that, given a good arc, she could turn in a fine performance. That has not happened. The drunk Laurel arc eliminated whatever goodwill remained for the character from season 1. I don't give a poo poo about the trials and tribulations of a fake drunk on my pulpy comic book show, I deal with enough of those in my real life. What we've gotten so far in terms of the Canary is too little, too late.

I've got some bad news for you. Addiction storylines, being good fodder for melodrama, happen all the drat time in comic book stuff.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Honestly, I don't disagree. There've been a lot of missteps with the character right from the outset, because they tried to create a Rachel Dawes that would eventually become Dinah Lance and it was just never going to work right because Rachel Dawes as a character simply would not become Dinah Lance the character, and now they're stuck in some nebulous Kate Spencer zone.

But for some reason I don't actually mind it anymore; the Laurel storyline right now really does feel "correct" for the character that they've built, and I probably would think of it as a cop-out if they tried to take any shortcuts at this point. Her current development is probably one of the less halfassed parts of the show, to be honest. Like, just for instance, I find Ray Palmer much more enjoyable as a character than Laurel, but I find Laurel's plot much more engaging by far than Ray's plot, which has really just been spinning its wheels in place for the entire time he's been onscreen.

The whole lying to Quentin thing does need to die ASAP, though. I also really want him to reveal that he knew she was lying to him all along but simply didn't want to believe it.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Laurel should have been Ravager, thus solving all our problems. It would have been awesome! :colbert:

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Even if you think laurels arc is bad if you call her "a lying whore" it suggests the problem ~*~was in you all along~*~

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Little_wh0re posted:

Even if you think laurels arc is bad if you call her "a lying whore" it suggests the problem ~*~was in you all along~*~

Your forum handle makes this call out pretty hilarious

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Eh. I'm not calling using it on anyone else

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Little_wh0re posted:

Eh. I'm not calling using it on anyone else

I agree with you I just thought it was funny

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Little_wh0re posted:

Actually it's about ethics in vigilantism.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Hard to have strong ethics when your sister died and apparently your best friend and ex lover is dead. She originally went to booze, now she is going to trying to beat people up. I'm fine by it.

Crunk Abortion
Mar 5, 2009

Young based lord and I look like JESUS

Lord Hydronium posted:

:downsrim:

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Lord Hydronium posted:

You have failed this thread.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
You know the death of ninja mooks is flimsiest evidence against Ras secretly being behind Ollie's resurrection considering Ras kills them for his daily cardio.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

SirDan3k posted:

You know the death of ninja mooks is flimsiest evidence against Ras secretly being behind Ollie's resurrection considering Ras kills them for his daily cardio.

Look, if you know a better way to get your peak heart rate up, I'd like to hear it!

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Lord Hydronium posted:

The TV IV > Arrow Season 3 - #canarygate

Lanky_Nibz
Apr 30, 2008

We will never be rid of these stars. But I hope they live forever.
I'm a little bummed with how Laurel and Thea are being handled recently.

I've really enjoyed self-destructive Laurel, especially when she would get loaded up and tumble into things. I don't get how she had *forgotten* all of her martial arts training from season one, but even that only vaguely bothers me as its fun to see her hilariously fail at things. The one thing that's killing the character for me is how she won't tell her dad about Sarah. Seriously, when she showed up to talk to her dad while impersonating Sarah I got the worst douche chills. Her avoidance of Sarah is bordering on psychotic!

As for Thea, she was one of my favorite characters, even after she joined Merlyn. I don't get why they've chosen to do pretty much nothing with Thea's character besides just letting her cool her heels in her apartment. It seems like a wasted opportunity. That and it's despicable that no one has told Thea about Ollie being the Arrow.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Is everyone glossing over the "finding out about Sarah might literally kill him" thing?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I dunno, it seems like a pretty dumb contrivance, and even right after their first encounter the seams are coming apart already. Like, are they going to pull off a Weekend at Bernie's thing if he gets even more suspicious because the Canary keeps hanging around Starling City yet Sara never comes to see him

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Little_wh0re posted:

Is everyone glossing over the "finding out about Sarah might literally kill him" thing?

This emotional trauma might kill him! I know I'll make it worse by posing as my dead sister so he can feel even more betrayed!

It's a dumb and it needs to be jettisoned. Actually it needs to be retconed into him knowing and going along with it because of denial, make the reveal a quiet moment where he was using it as a crutch but knew deep down she was gone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Someone actually posted about this happening in the China.jpg thread:

simple posted:

Yeah I have trouble wrapping my head around that stuff as well.

Another example- my waifu is from Taiwan and one of her brothers died in the hospital from septic shock. The crazy thing is that her remaining brother decided it would be best not to tell their father his son had died and she agreed. When the father eventually asked about what happened to his missing son, they said he went on a spiritual journey to Tibet or something like that. When I pressed her about why they would do this, she said they didn't want to give him a heart attack by telling him the truth.

• Locked thread