Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Asehujiko posted:

One thing that annoys me a lot during this season is that characters all seem to be falling in the "I have a tiny grievance with X therefor I will withhold all kinds of useful information". This episode ends on Irving noticing he is missing his reflection, why do we get the credits after that instead of the (previously) most level headed character on the show asking "hey, supernaturally educated person, is this supposed to be normal?" and pointing at the window?

He just wants to go home. He really really really wants to go home. He wants his family to trust him. No reflection is bad, but mentioning it right now would mean he wouldn't get to go home and his wife wouldn't trust him. It wouldn't be that odd to lock up and decide to deal with this poo poo later.

Or maybe Katrina just stole his soul.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

Angela Christine posted:

Because she was pissed about Mary Poppins.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Maybe Irving knows more than he's letting on and is playing his cards close to the vest. Evil Irving working behind everyone's backs would be exciting.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Dazerbeams posted:

Maybe Irving knows more than he's letting on and is playing his cards close to the vest. Evil Irving working behind everyone's backs would be exciting.

When he first appeared they went out of their way to show that he does reflect in mirrors in the grocery store scene. There is no need to show the clerk watching his reflection like that, except to make it crystal clear to viewers that he did have a reflection. Something has changed since then.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Maybe he resold his soul to Henry in order to get a clean slate in the eyes of the law. The whole situation is suspicious and favorable to him.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Angela Christine posted:

When he first appeared they went out of their way to show that he does reflect in mirrors in the grocery store scene. There is no need to show the clerk watching his reflection like that, except to make it crystal clear to viewers that he did have a reflection. Something has changed since then.

They haven't made clear what exactly "new evidence" came to light that exonerated him, could have something to do with that.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Angela Christine posted:

I assumed that since we still saw all the apocalypse stuff that Irving was definitely still tied to Henry. Katrina just told him he wasn't because if she came out and said "Nope, he's totally still evil" nobody would trust him enough to keep him nearby. And she wants him nearby so he can lead her to Henry.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com
Based on the lack of reflection, Vampire Irving feels like the obvious answer. But the first time we see Irving, not only did they go out of the way to show that he definitely did have a reflection, but that scene very conspicuously had blazing sunlight throughout.

Or... maybe Irving and Irving's Reflection are now two separate characters. That sounds like the kind of crazy bullshit magic that Henry would have giggle-fits over. If Henry controls Irving's reflection, then all Henry needs to do to hide from his Mom's tracking spell is to tell the reflection not to show up at the cabin, so it didn't.

That could lead to creepy situations where Irving's reflection spies on them for Henry from a nearby mirror, with occasional glimpses of it looking in a different direction than a reflection should. Maybe even grabbing Irving through a mirror when the time is right and trading places with him, or just stepping out on it's own.

Hey, that's how reflections worked for vampires in the classic musical movie Rockula. While I doubt Ichabod or Katrina will have seen Rockula (their loss), I can think of plenty of other movies where the "Oh poo poo, the mirror is doing the wrong thing" gag has been done...

Robot Hobo fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jan 28, 2015

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
This show has already had mirror based shenanigans, so it wouldn't be unheard of.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Robot Hobo posted:

I can think of plenty of other movies where the "Oh poo poo, the mirror is doing the wrong thing" gag has been donel

And now all that Mary Poppins talk makes so much sense!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

nine-gear crow posted:

Was anyone else bummed they didn't get to hear Tom Mison sing All About That Bass?

I will go to my grave happy if I never hear Tom Mison sing again. He is a man of many talents, of which singing is none of them.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
When they said they needed fire & iron (?) to kill those monsters I thought for sure Headless was going to roll through with his superheated axe and help them out

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Tonight's special guest, The Undertaker.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Looks like someone finally decided that Ichabod and Katrina needed new everyday clothes.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Hey, Henry's back, wonder what he's up to.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Pix-els.

ENHANCE

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

kefkafloyd posted:

Hey, Henry's back, wonder what he's up to.

Watching TV and doing nothing looks like.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Give in to the Dark Side.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
They straight up electrocuted a dude.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Good morning gentlemen! :haw:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

John Noble is such a good loving actor.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Maxwell Lord posted:

Good morning gentlemen! :haw:

Holy poo poo he just casually magicked them all to death.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Oh man, are we going to be Raiding Thomas Jefferson's Secret Masonic Vault? It's Washington's Tomb all over again!

tatopom
Apr 9, 2009
Is this the first time John Noble's been back since the hiatus or did I miss an episode? Just a bit jarring to see him back sitting round a crappy motel like nothing's been going on since he got exploded.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
The writing team have been playing too much Dragon Age.

I thought we were going to get an adorable redemption arc for Henry as he took that kid under his wing. The 'he was evil after all' twist is the more boring direction, I think. (But still awesome because John Noble)

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

tatopom posted:

Is this the first time John Noble's been back since the hiatus or did I miss an episode? Just a bit jarring to see him back sitting round a crappy motel like nothing's been going on since he got exploded.

He's a sulky emo teenager. He does sulky emo teenager stuff. Imagine him as a teenager with black eyeliner and most of his actions make perfect sense. We're just lucky he isn't trying to bang the head cheerleader.

Plus he's over 200 years old and spent most of that time buried alive, so spending a few months brooding in a lovely motel room is nothing.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Kind of a random reference to Edward R Murrow, but I guess Ichabod would sympathize with anyone speaking out against the tyranny of the majority.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
When will we get Jenny's quest to get the orb of mystical awesomeness?

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Feb 3, 2015

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
Holy poo poo this episode killed it. loving rad.

KIT HAGS
Jun 5, 2007
Stay sweet
The blood demons in this episode makes me wonder what Slim Goodbody is up to.

Also I know a lot of you hate Hawley, but I think it would have been cool to see Jenny go on treasure hunting side plots every now and then while sassing everyone with her eyebrows.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.
Man, this show really is suffering from plotting problems. It was so weird that they went with all the four horsemen stuff to just stop at 2.5 and decide to have a sudden battle and destroy Moloch just to basically return to the status quo.

I hope the end of the season really wraps that up and maybe makes mention that the prophecies have become all hosed up and something bad happens because of that.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I really don't know how they're going to resolve the Katrina issue without it being a massive trainwreck of some kind and also without it being vaguely offensive in a "Literally demonize The Other Woman so Ichabbie can happen" sort of way.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Awesome episode. Been a bit down on this season but I really liked that one.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Shaman Ooglaboogla posted:

Man, this show really is suffering from plotting problems. It was so weird that they went with all the four horsemen stuff to just stop at 2.5 and decide to have a sudden battle and destroy Moloch just to basically return to the status quo.

I hope the end of the season really wraps that up and maybe makes mention that the prophecies have become all hosed up and something bad happens because of that.

Dude it's only Season 2. We'll see the other Horseman, drat.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Barreft posted:

Dude it's only Season 2. We'll see the other Horseman, drat.

Abraham is going to be separated from his horseman side that Henry can take it obviously.

Lanky_Nibz
Apr 30, 2008

We will never be rid of these stars. But I hope they live forever.
I binged through the first season and loved every second of it. I feel like second season has been a bit slip shod though. In fact, right when Katrina came into the real world, the pacing got really dicey really quick.

Along with that I feel like we are dropping a lot of plot points too. Who was the voice in episode 1 that covered for Ichabod, saying he was still working at Oxford?

How did evidence surface that freed Irving magically?

Is Abraham just chilling in the carriage house waiting for Katrina? Where's the Kindred? I thought the Kindred had a murder boner for War.

Also, largest of all, how in the hell is Katrina so criminally inept at spellcasting? The only thing she ever did that was vaguely helpful was cast that cool burning-page/glyph of warding thing. Besides that she's done nothing but slow the gang down and make them second guess eachother. The one thing that makes her redeemable is that, in my mind, she's basically been a villain from day one. Waiting for the inevitable heel turn is the only way I can try to enjoy her screen time.

Overall though, having the Steward of Gondor be the new big bad is a wise choic, that dude kills every scene he's in.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

BrianWilly posted:

I really don't know how they're going to resolve the Katrina issue without it being a massive trainwreck of some kind and also without it being vaguely offensive in a "Literally demonize The Other Woman so Ichabbie can happen" sort of way.

Except everything about her from day one has been sketchy. She has always been hiding poo poo, and her fully being evil is not that shocking.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
What was up with Solomon's voice? Was it a weird accent? Sounded ao goofy.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

bobkatt013 posted:

Except everything about her from day one has been sketchy. She has always been hiding poo poo, and her fully being evil is not that shocking.
Well it's one thing for her to be a naturally untrustworthy person and I actually liked it when that sort of thing caused a legitimate rift between her and Ichabod earlier this season, but just going all out and making Ichabod's wife an evil witch giving in to dark magic (because she's just...intrinsically...prone...to the dark side...or something...?) feels icky to me.

But the worst part is that I literally cannot fathom any other narrative direction they could take this character at this point; they've written themselves into this corner, willingly or not, by virtue of making Katrina so unlikable and pointless anyway. There might be tragedy and intrigue about Katrina being tempted by evil if they'd at least made her a decent character...but at this point it's as if the audience is being led to think "Ha ha that lying [insert female-specific derogatory term] is getting what's coming to her" whilst the show moons over how sad it is for poor Ichabod and he has to turn to Abbie to heal his wounded blah blah blah.

Like I said, it's as if you can see the trainwreck coming from miles away but you can't see any way to prevent it anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Boru posted:

Waiting for the inevitable heel turn is the only way I can try to enjoy her screen time.

Really? That's the only way you can enjoy her screen time?

• Locked thread