Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Jesus, are we really going to kill thousands upon thousands of children just to spite Obama now? He really needs to come out in favor of breathing before small pox comes back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
I think my favorite line is "The state doesn't own children. Parents own the children." That is a really hosed up line that won't get enough press.

Also, everything is about "freedom!"

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
The thing that really kills me is this wild convoluted line of thinking where "two men I don't know signing a piece of paper and living together, probably having sex" becomes a danger to children nationwide, but the direct line from non vaccinated to "deadly measles outbreak" is an issue of freedoms.

We're fully a nation of little dictators running around upset that our edicts aren't being carried out to the letter, or that some loving peasant thinks they also apply to me, the high commander of Jesus.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
I don't think Rand Paul, if pressed, actually believes that parents "own" children in the Rothbardian sense, he's not that hardcore, it's just that Libertarianism has so infected his thinking that he defaults to expressing his thoughts in terms of property.

Sorus
Nov 6, 2007
caustic overtones
I am seriously bummed O'Malley isn't running, I liked him as governor.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Joementum posted:

I don't think Rand Paul, if pressed, actually believes that parents "own" children in the Rothbardian sense, he's not that hardcore, it's just that Libertarianism has so infected his thinking that he defaults to expressing his thoughts in terms of property.

And yet, he only uses others' property to further his ambitions, never his own. Funny how that works. I guess the only moral handout is Rand Paul's handouts.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Rand Paul inherited everything up to and including at least 75% of his fanbase from his father, from which the other 25 sprung. His biggest personal contribution was putting a rug on his head.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
So... weird day when Ben Carson is the voice of reason.

“Certain communicable diseases have been largely eradicated by immunization policies in this country and we should not allow those diseases to return by foregoing safe immunization programs, for philosophical, religious or other reasons when we have the means to eradicate them.”

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
You know who else doesn't vaccinate their kids?

The Taliban. How can America trust Rand Paul to lead if he continues to ally himself with terrorists? Is Senator 'Aqua Buddha' even Christian?

This message brought to you by Huck '16

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Sorus posted:

I am seriously bummed O'Malley isn't running, I liked him as governor.

He's definitely running.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Parents who don't vaccinate their kids should face stiff fines and be on a list and legally required to inform the neighborhood like they do with sex offenders.

Also be open to litigation from parents whose kids they endanger and or kill.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

My Imaginary GF posted:

You know who else doesn't vaccinate their kids?

The Taliban. How can America trust Rand Paul to lead if he continues to ally himself with terrorists? Is Senator 'Aqua Buddha' even Christian?

This message brought to you by Huck '16

Counterpoint: you know who did vaccinate his kids? And suffered adverse health effects from doing so? Osama Bin Laden. Why exactly does Obama want to vaccinate your children?

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

MariusLecter posted:

Parents who don't vaccinate their kids should face stiff fines and be on a list and legally required to inform the neighborhood like they do with sex offenders.

Also be open to litigation from parents whose kids they endanger and or kill.
I'd settle for just the people who go out and spout discredited vaccine scaremongering.

At the very least a "doctor" who goes on national television and says there is a link between mental disorders and vaccines should have his license revoked in perpetuity.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
By the way, today is a great example of why Hillary is in no rush to officially (or even semi-officially) announce her campaign.

Look at all the Republican contenders (and also Martin O'Malley) who had to define their position on the issue du jour.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Joementum posted:

Surely the children, rational actors they are, voluntarily enter into a mutually beneficial relationship with their parents whereby in exchange for free room and board they agree to forego a limited number of natural rights.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Saying parents own the kids sounds like a push back against the idea of kids belonging to the community rather than to parents. MSNBC host Melissa Harris-Perry caught a bunch of flak for saying kids don't belong to parents they belong to the community.

Of course, belong and own have different connotations.

Winter Stormer
Oct 17, 2012

Joementum posted:

Look at all the Republican contenders (and also Martin O'Malley) who had to define their position on the issue du jour.

I'm loving it. :allears: I know some mostly sensible, business-type Republicans who happen to be strongly pro-vaccination, and Christie and Paul coming out and saying stupid poo poo just gives me more ammunition. Like, it's one thing to give climate change short shrift - the changes are slow, the symptoms can be (mis)interpreted as 'just the weather' or whatever - but any fool can draw a very direct line between low vaccination rates and the resurgence of diseases from the bad old days.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Winter Stormer posted:

I'm loving it. :allears: I know some mostly sensible, business-type Republicans who happen to be strongly pro-vaccination, and Christie and Paul coming out and saying stupid poo poo just gives me more ammunition. Like, it's one thing to give climate change short shrift - the changes are slow, the symptoms can be (mis)interpreted as 'just the weather' or whatever - but any fool can draw a very direct line between low vaccination rates and the resurgence of diseases from the bad old days.

Rand Paul has a pretty solid circumstantial case that vaccines cause serious mental disorders, at least.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
Rand's interview on CNBC went south pretty fast. He came across as pretty petulant and unable to think on his feet.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Neeksy posted:

Rand's interview on CNBC went south pretty fast. He came across as pretty petulant and unable to think on his feet.

I think you mean, Rand Paul grew impatient with the very gotcha, misleading questions asked by the liberal CNBC interviewer, who is likely a professor somewhere.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
O'Malley has the charisma of table salt.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Joementum posted:

By the way, today is a great example of why Hillary is in no rush to officially (or even semi-officially) announce her campaign.

But she went ahead and tweeted out a statement anyway.

https://twitter.com/HillaryClinton/status/562456798020386816

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Joementum posted:

Rand hasn't announced either, its not stopping him from going on TV and being a moron.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
So according to the New York Times, The King of Jordan has been paying Christie's travel and football bills. So he's out.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

sbaldrick posted:

So according to the New York Times, The King of Jordan has been paying Christie's travel and football bills. So he's out.

He's a literal meatball, fork him.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Christie is of the same political and intellectual caliber as Rick Perry. It's always been a joke that he'd actually get anywhere on the national scene.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

From the Fox News poll released this week, Christie's down to 4% among GOP primary voters. Those are Jindal numbers.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Nonsense posted:

He's a literal meatball, fork him.

:fork:

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

sbaldrick posted:

Wtf why the king of jordan?

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

sbaldrick posted:

Is there a link to the article, I don't see anyone else covering this.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/03/nyregion/in-christies-career-a-fondness-forluxe-benefits-when-others-pay-the-bills.html

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

katlington posted:

Wtf why the king of jordan?

Port shenanigans maybe?

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

New York Times posted:

An executive order Mr. Christie signed in 2010 allows New Jersey governors to have travel and related expenses paid by foreign governments

Apparently it's not illegal!

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001

sullat posted:

Apparently it's not illegal!

I love that. Don't worry, citizens, I declared that my actions are totally in line with the law!

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

My personal opinion is that anyone with a real bent for luxury travel on someone else's money, like the sort that continually and knowingly break the rules to grab that higher rung for a single night just so they can avoid the emotional pain of staying at a Doubletree, are the worst sort of people on the planet and should be isolated and quarantined (in squalid bunkhouses)

There is something terrifying lurking inside them. Travelling on your own dime, go hog wild and do what you like, those people are fine.

Pegged Lamb
Nov 5, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
He reminds me of George IV

Caros
May 14, 2008

Pegged Lamb posted:

He reminds me of George IV

Wait, are you from the distant future too? I didn't think anyone else knew about George B.M.W. Bush IV.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

The Christie in that article sounds like wannabe starfucker.

quote:

As United States attorney for New Jersey, Mr. Christie developed a reputation for flouting the rules on travel. A Justice Department report after he left office found that he was the prosecutor who most often exceeded the charges allowed for hotel stays in different cities, without properly searching for a cheaper alternative, or justifying any exemption from the rules. He stayed at a Four Seasons in Washington and a new boutique hotel in Boston, for example, at more than double the cost allowed for those cities.

The report concerned hotel stays, but Mr. Christie’s preference for car services over taxis earned a footnote: He paid $236 to travel four miles from the airport in Boston, and $562 for a round-trip between Central London and Heathrow. Mr. Christie, who by then was governor, declined to be interviewed by investigators preparing the Justice Department report.

The revelations in the report prompted the Justice Department to tighten rules about exemptions to stay in costly hotels.
Fiscal responsibility.

Also I knew he was fat but I didn't realise he was this fat.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

Joementum posted:

None of those idiots really had to say anything controversial, there's always a bland way to say nothing on an issue, but thankfully Hillary just went ahead and said the right thing anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001

shadow puppet of a posted:

My personal opinion is that anyone with a real bent for luxury travel on someone else's money, like the sort that continually and knowingly break the rules to grab that higher rung for a single night just so they can avoid the emotional pain of staying at a Doubletree, are the worst sort of people on the planet and should be isolated and quarantined (in squalid bunkhouses)

There is something terrifying lurking inside them. Travelling on your own dime, go hog wild and do what you like, those people are fine.

I dunno that it's terrifying, but it certainly elicits contempt. Is he really risking his whole political career because of an addiction to luxury? If you have presidential ambitions, why tempt fate by accepting such large gifts from a foreign sovereign?

• Locked thread