Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

My favorite were the ones simulating the Starcraft missions where you have to hold out for 20 mins. Defender sets up in the middle of the table while the attacker gets to deploy from all four edges. Defender gets an extra 500 points but anything the attacker loses gets redeployed the following turn.

I have to try setting up something like this, at least I've got enough models for it:

Game Setup.

Bug deployment (I rolled the Warlord Trait that lets you infiltrate 3 non-vehicle units).

FIGHTS

RAWR

Two blobs duking it out for control of an objective

Tyrant with Carnifex backup engages the opposing Warboss and Nob Squad (everything died) :black101:

In the end the Nids won with 8 to 6 VPs. It was fun!

edit: fixed broken URL.

Soulfucker fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Feb 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tequila Ranger
Sep 11, 2004

host after host after host ...

panascope posted:

The new Orikan the Diviner is loving fantastic. Not only does he have a real chance of turning into a monster, but re-rolling saving throws of one is fully sick, especially since it works with Reanimation Protocols too.

I'd double check that, since RP isn't a "saving throw," his Master Chronomancer rule won't work with it. Still fantastic, just slightly less so.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
Auxilia Ogryn Charonite spotted?

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
That's just the circular saw blade delivery man.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Reynold posted:

Auxilia Ogryn Charonite spotted?

Mr.Bubbles?

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

If playing besieged has taught me anything, it's that those saws are going to rip his own hand apart the moment they hit something.

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost
One thing I'm grateful to AbusePuppy's podcast for is exposing me to Frontline Gaming video batreps. It's nice to have a group that isn't the weirdos at miniwargaming to watch while I wait for the next Scorpion video. Frankie and Darren Lockyer do a pretty good job.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum

REAL MUSCLE MILK posted:

I have an optical nerve palsy that makes trying to fit multiple tiny pieces together very difficult.

HiveCommander posted:

I feel your pain, I have benign hand tremors which can make some modelling and painting small details a lot harder than it should be. There's a grand total of one model I've painted eyes on that actually looks passable.

What's up shaky hand buddies. Inherited essential tremors from my mom. :smith:

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe
Picked up the Necron Codex, man does it have some strong builds. Regarding detachments etc, unless it specifically says objective secured , then it does not have it ?

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Exactly. As far as Necrons go, only CADs and Allied Detachents will have ObSec.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Foul Ole Ron posted:

Picked up the Necron Codex, man does it have some strong builds. Regarding detachments etc, unless it specifically says objective secured , then it does not have it ?

Right. The standard Detachment includes it as part of the rules, the Decurion doesn't. You can still take and benefit from the formations in a regular army though.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.

Boon posted:

I plan to head up this year.

If you do the narrative as a warlord, and pick the human side, we can hang out and be space bros.

MSP, are you doing narrative warlord again? WOM, are you?

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

Fun Shoe

panascope posted:

Right. The standard Detachment includes it as part of the rules, the Decurion doesn't. You can still take and benefit from the formations in a regular army though.

ah ok. So I just can take crons the normal battleforged way and get it. Cool.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

The Sex Cannon posted:

If you do the narrative as a warlord, and pick the human side, we can hang out and be space bros.

MSP, are you doing narrative warlord again? WOM, are you?

Yeah, we both are.

One thing I'd like to try and do is get 8 of us signed up for a Quickening tournament, and have the First Annual Something Is Awful Dot Com Fix Cup, ideally with a trophy of Vaultimer Leapbringer on noble Hoppy. I'll try and get an effort post written up today or tomorrow about it.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
Despite the rumours, I'm kinda surprised to see this before the regular Eldar bike was updated. That thing is legally old enough to drink in the USA.

Still, looking pretty good.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

That's not a dual kit with Windriders? Crazy. They should have gone all out with the canopy then.

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost
That dildo-windmill looks painful.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
Good looking kit, seems to be an eldar jetbike + a hellion skyboard attached to the back. What do we actually know about the unit/vehicle?

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

BRING ON THE FLÜGGÅNK€HIØLEN

edit: nws maybe?

Ignite Memories fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Feb 2, 2015

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
So is the Night Spinner kind of a crap unit? I never see it in lists. I was hoping it would be viable since I bought the conversion kit years ago and never put it together.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

xtothez posted:

Despite the rumours, I'm kinda surprised to see this before the regular Eldar bike was updated. That thing is legally old enough to drink in the USA.

Still, looking pretty good.

:aaaaa:

those look incredible

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I think the important thing to point out is that, while awesome looking, this two-elf jetbike is also supposed to be a dedicated transport for an entire troupe, which adds a new level beyond "10 Marines don't fit in a Rhino"

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

NTRabbit posted:

I think the important thing to point out is that, while awesome looking, this two-elf jetbike is also supposed to be a dedicated transport for an entire troupe, which adds a new level beyond "10 Marines don't fit in a Rhino"

The dedicated transport is the Starweaver, we haven't seen it yet.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
They ride into battle holding runners, Contra-style.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

NTRabbit posted:

Nah, that's the Starweaver you're thinking of. :v:

Edit: Goddamnit, I got beat.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Oh right, my bad :downs:

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Safety Factor posted:

Nah, that's the Starweaver you're thinking of. :v:

Edit: Goddamnit, I got beat.

Oh, if only! We could have had the Eldar equivalent of

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

So is the Night Spinner kind of a crap unit? I never see it in lists. I was hoping it would be viable since I bought the conversion kit years ago and never put it together.

It's pretty decent but it took a hit from the new Jink rules since you can't snap-fire it. I used to use it to good effect but not in 7th.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Surely if your Spinner is having to jink you've hosed up? Don't they usually sit in ruins out of LoS and shoot indirectly? That's how I always see them being played.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Mango Polo posted:

Oh, if only! We could have had the Eldar equivalent of

I hadn't considered the possibility of an Eldar clown car, but now I want one.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe
Of course. Clown cars are just connected to the web way. That makes sense.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

It is not bad (and S8 against vehicles) but the fireprism kills marines better, and the wave serpent gets you ignore cover + transportation. It has goofy ranged as well; it wants to stay hidden for barrage, but want to get closer for the template. Plus if you go forge world the warp hunter is better.

That said it's alright, and a couple of 6s will hurt big units and possibly snipe out some weapons.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Ghost Hand posted:

The other thing I would say is to give it some time. Get some practice. As you do more episodes you will probably find your groove. I listen to our earlier stuff and cringe.
I do YouTube videos and am the 'face' of the company I work for, and my early efforts are just shocking. It helps we have a great video editor, but still. And I know the first podcast I did (with the aforementioned video editor) was shoddy in many ways, so hopefully I've learned a bit!

quote:

Additionally, we used to receive a lot of questions about our set up and how we did the show. So I just wrote a series of articles about it.... some of this has changed over the years but it's still pretty relevant.

http://theindependentcharacters.com/blog/?cat=17

edit: Even more than the whole series - I think this is probably one of the most important articles about 40k Podcasts I wrote:

http://theindependentcharacters.com/blog/?p=516

This is great info! Will be reading through it over the next week or so. I definitely want to have a schedule of things to talk about and regular features (although we'll struggle to come up with a different name than 'hobby progress' and 'games played', but we'll try!) and will try to be the 'moderator' as such. Tim Ferriss also did a 2-part episode about how to make a great podcast, and although I haven't listened to his show before I'll give his tips a listen for sure.

But to keep things 40K related, I'm gonna have to see what the hell the Harlequins are all about. I know they're from the old days of 40K and they're flashy elves...but that's about it. I'm told they mesh well with the DE and Eldar, so I'll have to read up about them on Lexicanum or something.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

Fun Shoe

krushgroove posted:

But to keep things 40K related, I'm gonna have to see what the hell the Harlequins are all about. I know they're from the old days of 40K and they're flashy elves...but that's about it. I'm told they mesh well with the DE and Eldar, so I'll have to read up about them on Lexicanum or something.

They have a great backstory, its worth a read.

I could post on and on about how much I am looking forward to the New Space clowns, but all that needs to be said is this:

Send in the clowns: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRizowiOQfI

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

LordAba posted:

It is not bad (and S8 against vehicles) but the fireprism kills marines better, and the wave serpent gets you ignore cover + transportation. It has goofy ranged as well; it wants to stay hidden for barrage, but want to get closer for the template. Plus if you go forge world the warp hunter is better.

That said it's alright, and a couple of 6s will hurt big units and possibly snipe out some weapons.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I'd do Forgeworld but my area group is still firmly in the 3rd edition Tournament mindset of no Forge World or Special characters in casual games. Which sucks for non-Imperial armies.

Tequila Ranger
Sep 11, 2004

host after host after host ...

Cataphract posted:

Of course. Clown cars are just connected to the web way. That makes sense.

They have those in Epic, they are called Storm Serpents; Super Heavy Grav Tank with a built-in WWP exit.

So, a Super Heavy Clown Car :stonkhat:

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

spacegoat posted:

One thing I'm grateful to AbusePuppy's podcast for is exposing me to Frontline Gaming video batreps. It's nice to have a group that isn't the weirdos at miniwargaming to watch while I wait for the next Scorpion video. Frankie and Darren Lockyer do a pretty good job.

I enjoy Miniwargaming, maybe not so much Dave, but Matt's are usually very good, and he is much better at knowing the rules than Dave, who I am convinced has ADHD or something...

Striking Scorpions are really well done, but they skip a lot of the dice rolling and banter, but still somehow manage to be longer than Miniwargaming's. I like to see the dice, models being taken away, and player reactions, which is something Striking Scorpion skips completely, and it annoys me.

Also, going by everyone's suggestions I thought Abusepuppy's podcast was going to be an hour of just horrendous nerd arguing, but I managed through the first 15 minutes, and thought it was all right.

TheArmorOfContempt fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Feb 3, 2015

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007
:D

Uroboros posted:

Striking Scorpions are really well done, but they skip a lot of the dice rolling and banter, but still somehow manage to be longer than Miniwargaming's. I like to see the dice, models being taken away, and player reactions, which is something Striking Scorpion skips completely, and it annoys me.

Gotta fit all the gratuitous camera pans in.

(StrikingScorpion's Apocalypse games are good but the normal games are way too long.)

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

Uroboros posted:

I enjoy Miniwargaming, maybe not so much Dave, but Matt's are usually very good, and he is much better at knowing the rules than Dave, who I am convinced has ADHD or something...

I watch Matt's batreps religiously, but can't stand anyone else on that site.

Does anyone else do batreps in the same style as MiniWargaming? Every other batrep I have ever watched (with the exception of that Ork one that added sound effects and graphics) has always just given an end of turn results for both players with a rundown of what happened. I like to see the dice rolls and hear them go over the rules. It makes me feel like I'm playing 40k and not stuck at work watching youtube.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Foul Ole Ron posted:

They have a great backstory, its worth a read.

I could post on and on about how much I am looking forward to the New Space clowns, but all that needs to be said is this:

Send in the clowns: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRizowiOQfI

Man, I am just giddy about them. I wasn't expecting a multi kit release. Hell, I wasn't expecting anything. And it all looks hells of gorgeous.

• Locked thread