Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Yeah I give it another two or three weeks before the new version hype fades completely, but the crucial thing will be what Chucklefish does in that time. If they can go back to updating at a reasonable pace (especially now that they don't have any big excuses) or at least not once every couple of months, it'll be nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
I'm easily impressed I just wish they'd loving pay attention to my shrill cries and jingle those loving keys some more.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

You forget that all of us who have been poo poo posting all this time have been wanting to like the game this whole time but couldn't. I dunno if it's likeable again or not as u haven't played the new update, but yeah.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Babe Magnet posted:

Yeah I give it another two or three weeks before the new version hype fades completely, but the crucial thing will be what Chucklefish does in that time. If they can go back to updating at a reasonable pace (especially now that they don't have any big excuses) or at least not once every couple of months, it'll be nice.

Well we just got a patch, and I hope you didn't like outpost short crates or lab lockers like I did, because those went down to 16 and 9 slots respectively.

On the plus side, lunar base lockers shot up to 48 slots so they're super useful now.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

JerikTelorian posted:

Well we just got a patch, and I hope you didn't like outpost short crates or lab lockers like I did, because those went down to 16 and 9 slots respectively.

On the plus side, lunar base lockers shot up to 48 slots so they're super useful now.

I, but, why would you reduce storage on fancy lockers to worse than a wooden box :negative:

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
After running a server for a few days, I feel like I should point out that the server is still a massive piece of poo poo. It sucks CPU and RAM, leaks memory everywhere, slows to a crawl over time, and crashes constantly. If you want to host a server, I would really recommend to follow this guide and use Linux and upstart to easily handle situations where it dies. Otherwise, you will need to write a script to restart the stupid thing after it dies every hour or two.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Section Z posted:

I, but, why would you reduce storage on fancy lockers to worse than a wooden box :negative:

It seems to be based largely on the physical size of the object. Bigger boxes can actually hold more stuff now. (Usually)

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

I found one of those gnome towns, accidently nuked it with my plasma gun fighting off angry monsters, and then I got a gnome hat and a bunch of gnomes. I threw them at assassins and the gnomes screamed and did a little damage.

Rest in peace, tiny villagers.

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Doesn't think, just types.
So in order to get steel, I need an alloy furnace, which needs glass, which needs sand, and the only desert planet in my home system is inaccessible (travel never finishes).

Good job Chucklefish.

edit: Of course, resetting the universe fixed it, but why do we still have bugged planets?

Thoughtless fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Feb 3, 2015

Musluk
May 23, 2011

guess you don't like these keys, huh.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!

XboxPants posted:

It seems to be based largely on the physical size of the object. Bigger boxes can actually hold more stuff now. (Usually)

I just installed a mod to normalize them all to 48 because having to deal with tiny boxes is stupid.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Thoughtless posted:

So in order to get steel, I need an alloy furnace, which needs glass, which needs sand, and the only desert planet in my home system is inaccessible (travel never finishes).

Good job Chucklefish.

Try letting it travel for a while and then using the teleporter to beam down. Sometimes you can use the teleporter before your ship drops out of warp.

Schwack posted:

I just installed a mod to normalize them all to 48 because having to deal with tiny boxes is stupid.

I understand what they were going for - it's kind of lame if everyone just fills up every structure & ship with those 2x2 lockers, and that is what happened before. But instead of nerfing the one good storage object and making them all suck, they should have left the good one-as is and used it as a model to make all the rest of the storage items be good, and buff all the rest of them.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Who was it that said the hunting knife makes things drop leather? It, and every bow kill I ever do are just meat, no leather. Unless the RNG particularly dislikes me (as usual), I'd expect "I stopped to count" 50 kills with the hunting knife to have dropped leather by now. Unless only certain enemy types drop leather, or the possibility of leather drops does not occur until some info blurb tells you "Hey, you need leather for something!" Which I have not seen yet.

I have unlocked the ability to craft molotovs, which is nice (If they do damage worth a drat vs Mine enemies). Well, nice once I run across some plant fiber dropping trees I can plant.

Tenbux McGee
Jun 23, 2005
I had :tenbux:

Tin Tim posted:

Still haven't beaten the mine boss :(

Though, I also stopped after the second try because holy poo poo so many pink guys in your way. For now, I built myself a new space shack and hosed around a bit.

Like, am I the only one here who feels that the movement controls in Starbound are bad and floaty? I'd attribute most of my failure against the boss to that, because I've fallen to my death mostly. For a game that includes dungeons where you have to make perfect jumps, and generally seems big on precise moves, the controls suck rear end imo.

To everyone who has ever died of fall damage and gotten pissed off, like me, behold thy salvation:

This tech is available with your very first blank tech card. As long as you remember to press F while falling, you will never die from poor platforming controls again. Unless you land in lava. Unless there is a later "head" tech that causes beautiful women to emerge from my computer to shower me with sexual favors, this thing is never getting unequipped. EVER.

Tenbux McGee fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Feb 3, 2015

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

JerikTelorian posted:

Trip report: The Block Replicator isn't as good as the crafting table. It costs a lot (20 uranium bars, 20 aegisalt bars, 10k pixels) to make and has a much smaller selection.
Oh, that's a shame. I didn't know it was limited by blocks, I thought it was like an all inclusive thing.
The one big problem I have with the block crafting table is that it costs gold to make avian blocks. Iron (or even steel) for some of the metal ones isn't too bad, because iron can be really abundant on lower tier planets, but gold for avian bricks is silly.
Guess that's an easy fix though if I want to tweak it myself.

Babe Magnet posted:

At least they've released a few patches in the last few days. There was one just today that fixed the "some cobblestone doesn't stack with itself" bug.
Even more importantly, the third phase of the Erchius Crystal Horror doesn't have undodgeable beams anymore.

Section Z posted:

Who was it that said the hunting knife makes things drop leather? It, and every bow kill I ever do are just meat, no leather.
Only enemies of a high enough level will drop leather. I think the planet threat has to be moderate or higher.

Vib Rib fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Feb 3, 2015

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Section Z posted:

Who was it that said the hunting knife makes things drop leather? It, and every bow kill I ever do are just meat, no leather. Unless the RNG particularly dislikes me (as usual), I'd expect "I stopped to count" 50 kills with the hunting knife to have dropped leather by now. Unless only certain enemy types drop leather, or the possibility of leather drops does not occur until some info blurb tells you "Hey, you need leather for something!" Which I have not seen yet.

I have unlocked the ability to craft molotovs, which is nice (If they do damage worth a drat vs Mine enemies). Well, nice once I run across some plant fiber dropping trees I can plant.

A number of plants also give fiber. Wheat drops it 100%, but you have to replant it, so you may want to just use Corn instead even though it only drops it at a 50% rate.

It's not as useful as the tree's but it'll tide you over.

XboxPants fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Feb 3, 2015

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

I killed nearly a hundred monsters with hunting weapons, working my way up the difficulty levels, it wasn't until I got to a hazardous volcanic hellhole that I finally got some leather drop.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
I wouldn't mind this mining base boss thingy so much if, after getting killed by it, I didn't have to go back through the whole loving stage again. Feh.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?
I can't find the answer to these two questions:

1) Where do I get more blank tech cards? I have two and just finished the Florian mission. I haven't seen any since I reached the outpost for the first time, though I still haven't found that guy's missing page.

2) When can I upgrade the ship? I just got the radiation nanosuit but still don't have the option to do anything with the Penguin Bay guy.

The bosses in this game are utter horseshit, especially with the backing up half speed thing. How loving obnoxious. It's like Chuckle likes Dark Souls and wants to emulate them (in 2d) but doesn't actually understand what made Dark Souls combat good. lovely controls and garbage armour options don't make things fun.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Yeah, wheat is at least a certainty and wheat does not take THAT long to grow. Trees when I find em are just nice for bulk, because my supply will only last so long before I reach "Stop to farm up plant matter for bandages", which even as much of a slog as that would still likely be a faster and more sure thing than checking out my available forest worlds hoping for vines.

The fact the outpost is so important is also a bitch because if you set a planet and set up a nice little farm as a home, you have to fly all the way over to the outpost and back every time. If you set up the outpost as home... Well, can't go back to your farm or slowly developing house with the teleporter. The outpost travel busywork means I have even LESS reason to want to start building on a planet than before. Otherwise I would have started setting up a nice shack and farm by now.

I suppose once you get far enough that traveling takes fuel, you'd prefer setting a planet as home instead of the outpost only so you do not needlessly burn fuel every time you visit your base just to save you the pointless slog of flying over to the outpost gate every time you need to go to it.

The "only higher tier enemies drop leather" while strange, makes some sense... Then you remember the Hunting knife takes like, 5 hits to kill "Mostly harmless" enemies in your starter system and wonder just how long it will take on tougher ones, even if you try to wear them down with normal weapons first :downsgun:

Vasler posted:

I can't find the answer to these two questions:

1) Where do I get more blank tech cards? I have two and just finished the Florian mission. I haven't seen any since I reached the outpost for the first time, though I still haven't found that guy's missing page.

2) When can I upgrade the ship? I just got the radiation nanosuit but still don't have the option to do anything with the Penguin Bay guy.

The bosses in this game are utter horseshit, especially with the backing up half speed thing. How loving obnoxious. It's like Chuckle likes Dark Souls and wants to emulate them (in 2d) but doesn't actually understand what made Dark Souls combat good. lovely controls and garbage armour options don't make things fun.

I found the guy at the outpost's missing page by rooting through all the containers in the outpost. For me, it was in the bathroom trash on the top floor.

EDIT: Stupid loving question. How do you bookmark anything outside of "Set home"? Or does that unlock after you unlock your FTL drive?

EDIT Two: Welp, guess wheat drops aren't 100% on that plant fiber. I got 4 for 12 wheat. Did I mention the RNG dislikes me? Bulk planting should help though, since you get seeds so can plant more so more odds of plant fibre. The fact not all plants have to be replanted anymore is also nice. Actual improvements do exist. I wish some plants were not ???? long in their growth. I've harvested the same coffee plants three times, rice twice, etc and I'm still waiting on that first batch of potatoes.

31 wheat got me 8 fibre, progress!

Bonus :Hahahaha holy poo poo that cooldown for food items, even when they heal you at what feels like 1 HP per hour.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Feb 3, 2015

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

I wouldn't mind this mining base boss thingy so much if, after getting killed by it, I didn't have to go back through the whole loving stage again. Feh.

There's a shortcut, I think it's to the left of where you start, you have to sort of wiggle through a hard-to-pass-through area.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

JerikTelorian posted:

Trip report: The Block Replicator isn't as good as the crafting table. It costs a lot (20 uranium bars, 20 aegisalt bars, 10k pixels) to make and has a much smaller selection.
Hm. Looking at the files, Block Crafting has 99 recipes and Replicator has 118. There are a few that don't overlap but it seems like the latter has the broader selection. When I get a chance I might try to cross-reference and try to fill in any gaps, so the Replicator won't have any hangups.

KoB
May 1, 2009
They nerfed lockers to 9 spaces. What is the new efficient item box?

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

KoB posted:

They nerfed lockers to 9 spaces. What is the new efficient item box?

http://www.reddit.com/r/starbound/comments/2ul0lh/stable_759mb_update/co9bj9k

Crates are very slightly more efficient - 16:6 instead of 9:4. Chests are technically more efficient than either, but you can't stack them.

If you just want to spawn something in there are a couple items called "Tall Locker" and "Wide Locker" that are apparently the best, they store 9 spaces at half the size of a Lab Locker, but I don't think you can craft them.

Really there's no longer a "super best storage" item. That was kinda the entire point.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

So is it just me, or does a decent shield make the first couple of bosses stupidly easy? Especially if you can parry some of the big hits (crystal lasers, UFO rams) to save on durability. Like, it's not trivial, at all, but it seems WAY easier...

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

XboxPants posted:

Really there's no longer a "super best storage" item.

My character's rear end begs to differ.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Yeah, I honestly kind of like that there's not just one super-condensed perfect storage item, myself. But since a lot of people would disagree, you can pick up the Pixel Goods Store mod for some nice compact storage options. Or you could go for the more extreme Pack & Print mod, which adds storage and labeling options, including 100-slot wall lockers that are only like 2x1. Lastly, you could just say to hell with it and get the 736-slot Universe Locker.

JerikTelorian posted:

I think I've managed a kind of fix, but my modding skills are super rusty so forgive me if something's gone wrong.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/iz309ci79c29ap8/unofficial%20replicator%20patch.rar?dl=0
This unofficial patch I've made adds about 16 recipes to all three replicators, which should fully cover anything you can craft at the block crafting station.

Vib Rib fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Feb 3, 2015

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Vasler posted:

You know how Tech Chests used to give Techs? They give Blank Tech Cards now. (Or, sometimes, really nice guns.) You can still find them randomly in the world or (more commonly) in abandoned Apex facilities.

Also the guy's missing page is in a trash can in The Outpost, assuming it isn't randomized.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Well, I beat the Mine boss second try. This time around perfect guarding through the beams didn't "stop" perfect guarding at the end so my shield bar never went down. But it was still a close thing because I started taking mystery damage from nothing at all. It wasn't fall damage, you can't take fall damage by jumping upward onto higher platforms.

The pair of grenade launchers I found this time around were nice, but the have about the same DPS as my bow, and take more energy (though the AoE when it works was okay) because it still took two grenades to kill normal enemies, same as the bow.

Molotovs kick rear end... But they also cause a fire patch so whoops self damage! I learned this before the boss fight so didn't risk using them during it. poo poo's way too damaging to you, and I dislike how basically every youtube of "Look how easy this boss is!" is either people blatantly overgeared, or claiming "Nah man I only have steel armor I swear!" while just diving face first through the beams for only a tiny inconsequential bit of their health bar, flying in the face of Stable reality.

It CAN be incredibly easy, but your biggest enemy isn't balance or combat skill. It's "Can you bypass/evade excessive damage? Yes/No?" and "how fast are your fingers for mashing F to prevent fall damage while also trying to WASD around and evade beam spam?". All my fall damage was from holding down a little too long or misspressing reaching for F in a hurry because a little fall damage isn't as bad as eating a laser beam. The entire difficulty is in how awkward things are, and how overblown the damage dealt to is over a single mistake.

I'm also :doh: at the codex entry with hints on how to fight the boss (If only someone could use the laser cannon while dodging it's beams!) is something you find AFTER the boss fight :allears:

Bonus: Shortly after teleporting back to my ship, the game crashed for the first time since I reinstalled for the new update.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
Crossbows also give meat and pelts on kills FYI.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Also just FYI, you can craft guns once you get to Tier... whatever Rubium/Aegisalt/Blue poo poo is.

They're quite good. Doesnt seem to be racially restricted either, though I only did it on Human.

EDIT: VV Fully agreed

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
They should probably add ranged options on iron level. Seriously, it took me until the end level to get a random gun off a chest.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

So, this game would be pretty fun... if it had a loving deployable spawn point system implemented.
Something simple like a beacon that you can set or just placing down a bed.

Otherwise, holy gently caress is exploring planets a massive chore right now.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Deakul posted:

So, this game would be pretty fun... if it had a loving deployable spawn point system implemented.
Something simple like a beacon that you can set or just placing down a bed.

Otherwise, holy gently caress is exploring planets a massive chore right now.

/admin
/setspawn
/admin

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
There must be a way to trigger the same functions as those commands with a mod, right?
If that's the case it would be trivial to add a beacon item that changes your warpdown spot.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!
Are ropes still a weird single use item that you'll never use?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I find them pretty handy while caving, myself, at least until I get the grappling hook. But yes, still one use.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Vib Rib posted:

There must be a way to trigger the same functions as those commands with a mod, right?
If that's the case it would be trivial to add a beacon item that changes your warpdown spot.

I'm trying to do it with lua scripting for 2 or 3 days now, but it's tough :(

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
People are having trouble with the Mine boss?

You just run around it and hit the switches. Don't bother fighting anything. Hit all the switches three times and it's dead. I...didn't even realize you could damage it any other way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Dipping my toes in modding. I was talking with Vib Rib earlier and we agreed the pacing of the first two ship expansions was a bit weird since they require the same tier of ore for the SAIL upgrades. Plus, personally, between storage and crafting stations I found myself rather cramped for space on the ship early on. So to pace it out a bit more, and give access to the expanded ship earlier, I made a little mod that makes it so the first expansion requires 10 gold bars and 10 steel bars instead.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8d1vlg1czt4hazg/UpgradeShipEarlier.modpak?dl=0

• Locked thread