Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 24 days!

SedanChair posted:

They're certainly less dangerous to random citizens.

Source?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Jarmak posted:

This forum is full of people who think it perfectly fine to disregard the law anytime they disagree with it, for moral reasons. Do you even think for a loving second that there isn't an equal or greater amount of people who think they are justified in disregarding the law for moral reasons that would seem (and for the most part are) morally abhorrent to posters here?

"The law is the law and it must not be broken, no matter how morally unacceptable it seems to some." -Average white person circa 1955

But less about pedantic circle-jerking over nebulous arguments and more about the police being naturally poo poo.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Everyday Lurker posted:

But less about pedantic circle-jerking over nebulous arguments and more about the police being naturally poo poo.

Enforcement of laws in a society is a necessary and vital function and not inherently wrong or flawed.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Grem posted:

Source?

I don't think that's what saying "source?" is for. Maybe you could ask me for a more detailed explanation. Do you want a more detailed explanation, Grem?

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Everyday Lurker posted:

"The law is the law and it must not be broken, no matter how morally unacceptable it seems to some." -Average white person circa 1955

Yeah man, thinking that anytime anyone disagrees with the law they can't just break it is totally the same as thinking there's never any time breaking the law is justified.

Also civil disobedience was totally not about violating unjust laws and facing the punishment in order highlight the injustice.

Here's some other guys who thought they had the moral high ground when it came to ignoring the law:

hepatizon
Oct 27, 2010

Everyday Lurker posted:

I don't understand what outcome you're looking for. Do you want the police to be the ones deciding what causes are worth making an exception for? I'd much rather leave that up to a jury.

Legality of protests is not important compared to brutality. It's generally a win-win for both the protesters and police when protesters are peacefully arrested. The problem is when police decide they need to go further and bust heads.

hepatizon fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Feb 3, 2015

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006

Jarmak posted:

Yeah man, thinking that anytime anyone disagrees with the law they can't just break it is totally the same as thinking there's never any time breaking the law is justified.

Also civil disobedience was totally not about violating unjust laws and facing the punishment in order highlight the injustice.

Here's some other guys who thought they had the moral high ground when it came to ignoring the law:

Pictured: 40 cops in hoods

Edit: Reminder that the Klan was never larger or more popular in the US than when they made stricter enforcement of prohibition part of their agenda. It's actually super adorable that you think this photo is a symbol of anarchist disregard for law to anyone but your own deranged self.

Woozy fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Feb 3, 2015

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Woozy posted:

Pictured: 40 cops in hoods

Edit: Reminder that the Klan was never larger or more popular in the US than when they made stricter enforcement of prohibition part of their agenda. It's actually super adorable that you think this photo is a symbol of anarchist disregard for law to anyone but your own deranged self.

Yeah, in the modern era the Klan is a bunch of loser rednecks in hoods, but in their heyday they were one of the most important, most powerful political forces in the US and had hundreds of thousands of respectable members including doctors, lawyers, cops, politicians, and so on. The KKK used to be "respectable", a notion that should forever dispel in any mind the notion that respectability is inherently good.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
:gas:

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

Seconded.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
facist pigs firing gas into a civilian thread

ftm

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Yeah wow that's two votes.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU
In summation, gently caress tha police?

Eugene V. Deadlift
Apr 8, 2013
Gas for what? Debate and discussion in D&D?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

ImAMinister posted:

Daring to mention that the Klan and the police used to be one and the same, I guess. Oh and I'll go ahead and anticipate the "RATM lol" response and go on to say that just because you say something in a song does not make it incorrect or irrelevant.

Eugene V. Deadlift
Apr 8, 2013
Wait, is that the controversy? I mean the Southern Poverty Law Center states that the KKK was historically populated by police officers, and even today there is evidence of police collusion with the KKK. Am I crazy or is this not historical fact?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Didn't various social media sleuthing out a ton of Ferguson cops as KKK members?

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

SedanChair posted:

Daring to mention that the Klan and the police used to be one and the same, I guess. Oh and I'll go ahead and anticipate the "RATM lol" response and go on to say that just because you say something in a song does not make it incorrect or irrelevant.

Kids these days.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NctzNLw_5E

While the sentiment makes sense, since there are probably few cops from the 1920s or even 30s still on the force, the signal-to-noise ratio on a kops=klan statement is too high to be useful.
(If you're just venting, go nuts - then do something constructive)

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

ImAMinister posted:

That actually only happens in DND on rare occasions.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Maybe it's a good idea to close this thread until there's another noteworthy incident.

You know, just for a couple of days or so.

Eugene V. Deadlift
Apr 8, 2013
Why?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
I think that was a joke.

ImAMinister posted:

Wait, is that the controversy? I mean the Southern Poverty Law Center states that the KKK was historically populated by police officers, and even today there is evidence of police collusion with the KKK. Am I crazy or is this not historical fact?

#NotAllKlansmen

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Did the story about the cop pulling a gun on a couple kids having a snowball fight get posted? That was like two days ago, I'm sure someone has gotten beaten for no reason since then though.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Comment was unrelated to KKK assertions. This is just a bad thread that should be gassed.

:boom:

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Move along folks, nothing to see here. Policing is fine.

Eugene V. Deadlift
Apr 8, 2013

SedanChair posted:

I think that was a joke.

Sorry, this thread has a tendency of getting locked at the first hint of contention, hence the reaction. It was a good joke.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

Demon Of The Fall posted:

Did the story about the cop pulling a gun on a couple kids having a snowball fight get posted? That was like two days ago, I'm sure someone has gotten beaten for no reason since then though.

Well the cops released a statement that the video is totally out of context and there was a totally justifiable reason for pulling out the gun oh and those kids weren't really have a snowball fight.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 24 days!

SedanChair posted:

I don't think that's what saying "source?" is for. Maybe you could ask me for a more detailed explanation. Do you want a more detailed explanation, Grem?

What data do you have to support your certainty that gangs are less dangerous to innocent people.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Grem posted:

What data do you have to support your certainty that gangs are less dangerous to innocent people.

Number of people arrested by police for a marijuana law violation in 2013: 693,482
Number of those charged with marijuana law violations who were arrested for possession only: 609,423 (88 percent)

Number of people arrested by gang members for a marijuana law violation in 2013: 0

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

SedanChair posted:

Number of people arrested by police for a marijuana law violation in 2013: 693,482
Number of those charged with marijuana law violations who were arrested for possession only: 609,423 (88 percent)

Number of people arrested by gang members for a marijuana law violation in 2013: 0

You're a loving idiot.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

SedanChair posted:

What's your favorite Phish album?

hepatizon
Oct 27, 2010

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

You're a loving idiot.

This isn't a productive post; care to elaborate?

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Number of people arrested by gang members for anything ever: 0

Makes you think.

Eugene V. Deadlift
Apr 8, 2013
Personally, I think that was a weird equivalence. How about the fact that a gang member can steal your property, harm, or kill you. A police officer can do all those things as well and will rarely ever face consequences.

EDIT: A police officer can also arrest you, falsify evidence or testimony and get you locked up

Eugene V. Deadlift fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Feb 3, 2015

hepatizon
Oct 27, 2010

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Number of people arrested by gang members for anything ever: 0

Makes you think.

The obviousness of that fact might have clued you in that it wasn't the point. The point is that police and gangs both perpetrate a massive amount of harm against people. Gang violence kills about 2000 people a year, police shootings kill about 1100. However, once you include other forms of harm -- e.g. the 0.7 million drug arrests per year -- the scale tips a lot further toward police.

hepatizon fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Feb 3, 2015

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Generally gangs are the result of low income, scant opportunities, and bad education. They might shoot more people, but they're the symptom of a problem, and police are part of the system that keeps people poor and hosed over that creates the gangs in the first place.

Eugene V. Deadlift
Apr 8, 2013

Lemming posted:

Generally gangs are the result of low income, scant opportunities, and bad education. They might shoot more people, but they're the symptom of a problem, and police are part of the system that keeps people poor and hosed over that creates the gangs in the first place.

Well said

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

hepatizon posted:

The obviousness of that fact might have clued you in that it wasn't the point. The point is that police and gangs both perpetrate a massive amount of harm against people. Gang violence kills about 2000 people a year, police shootings kill about 1100. Add arrests for victimless crimes, and the total harm done by police, if such a thing can be quantified, could plausibly surpass that done by gangs.

If they wanted to argue the sum total of systemic harm by either then fine, there is an argument that can be made. But instead they cited one useless comparative statistic on the "certainty that gangs are less dangerous to innocent people" and then called it a day.

That said who would want to move to a gang controlled neighborhood? Haven't you seen Death Wish 3?

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Grem posted:

I wouldn't say "less dangerous" but for the vast majority of people the chances of getting hassled by a cop over stupid bullshit is much higher than ever having any negative encounters with gangs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Comment was unrelated to KKK assertions. This is just a bad thread that should be gassed.

:boom:

You're a bad moderator

• Locked thread