Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cuedotcom
Jun 16, 2009

:getout:
It would be so nice if advanced calling 1.0 worked on my Nexus 6 :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

cuedotcom posted:

It would be so nice if advanced calling 1.0 worked on my Nexus 6 :allears:

I had to turn it off on my Turbo because it was broken.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Those hoping that Moto will revisit the 2013 X form factor shouldn't hold their breath.

With the changes made this year, Motorola has sold 118% more phones last quarter than a year ago.

http://www.androidcentral.com/motorola-shipped-10-million-phones-last-quarter-118-percent-year-ago

Big phones sell.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

bull3964 posted:

Those hoping that Moto will revisit the 2013 X form factor shouldn't hold their breath.

With the changes made this year, Motorola has sold 118% more phones last quarter than a year ago.

http://www.androidcentral.com/motorola-shipped-10-million-phones-last-quarter-118-percent-year-ago

Big phones sell.

Yeah, maybe 5% of that was the X

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Hace posted:

Yeah, maybe 5% of that was the X

It wasn't the only one that grew. The G is 100% the same phone, only bigger.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Pulled out my Moto X. gently caress the Nexus 6. I'm sorry I left you, you laggy bastard. At least I can sell the nexus 6 for what I paid for it because of lack of supply

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

bull3964 posted:

It wasn't the only one that grew. The G is 100% the same phone, only bigger.

You can still buy the small G. In fact most prepaid providers only sell the old one. Also the E.

Edit: Also, the first Moto G came out last December so these numbers are a comparison of what Moto sold before the G and after.

BeastOfExmoor fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Feb 3, 2015

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

BeastOfExmoor posted:

You can still buy the small G. In fact most prepaid providers only sell the old one. Also the E.

I know you can still buy it. But unless you are suggesting people are buying a year old phone at a rate over twice they did last year, the point is moot.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

DangerZoneDelux posted:

Pulled out my Moto X. gently caress the Nexus 6. I'm sorry I left you, you laggy bastard. At least I can sell the nexus 6 for what I paid for it because of lack of supply

I'm having 0 problems with any lag on N6. Might be checking out if your handset is just busted in some way.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

bull3964 posted:

I know you can still buy it. But unless you are suggesting people are buying a year old phone at a rate over twice they did last year, the point is moot.

I edited my OP as you were posting, but the Moto G shipped last December so the year on year numbers (assuming their quarter is Oct-Dec) are basically a comparison of a quarter without the Moto G to one with Moto G's (and Moto E's). At this moment you can buy the small Moto G from multiple prepaid and postpaid carriers, but the big G is only available from one prepaid carrier that I'm aware of (AARP's MVNO, which presumably has only a tiny market share) and from Amazon. It could be that the bigger X is selling gangbusters as is the bigger G, but I don't think we can say that those year on year numbers confirm anything about size preference.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Stoat posted:

I'm having 0 problems with any lag on N6. Might be checking out if your handset is just busted in some way.

He's saying his Moto X is laggy. No explanation for why the N6 sucks, but I'm gonna guess "too big."

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Is there another Play Services update out that's buggy again? I keep having battery drain issues lately on my N5.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Combat Pretzel posted:

Is there another Play Services update out that's buggy again? I keep having battery drain issues lately on my N5.
It's the biggest drain on my N5 right now too with 38 minutes of awake time overnight so it's not just you.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
I posted last week about my '13 G getting its WiFi borked after using it to hotspot. Motorola made the process of setting up an advanced exchange totally painless and easy. To contribute to the thread's knowledge base: I factory reset my old G to box it up and checked the WiFi before it went in. Seemed to be working fine again. Oh well!

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Oh Samsung, never change.

(Context)

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

LastInLine posted:

It's the biggest drain on my N5 right now too with 38 minutes of awake time overnight so it's not just you.
It's getting tiresome to have every other update turn into a battery lottery.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Tunga posted:

Oh Samsung, never change.

(Context)

My phone didn't ask me how to open the Google+ link, and Firefox just loaded a blank page. What's the context?

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

hooah posted:

My phone didn't ask me how to open the Google+ link, and Firefox just loaded a blank page. What's the context?

Russell Holly on G+ posted:

Samsung's lock screen is updated to Lollipop, unless you have the S-View case on. With the S-View case on you get a pair of clocks that tell you the same time, and a pedometer that stays on the screen even when you disable the feature.

VVV THAT'S RIGHT!!

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

^^^^^^:argh:

hooah posted:

quote:

Samsung's lock screen is updated to Lollipop, unless you have the S-View case on. With the S-View case on you get a pair of clocks that tell you the same time, and a pedometer that stays on the screen even when you disable the feature.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family

Lblitzer posted:

Haha that's a pretty big mic drop considering the Moto phones don't have Lollipop yet. Verizon is picking up their game it seems on the update side.

The 2nd gen Moto X on Verizon got (a working version) of Lollipop in like November. :smug:

bull3964 posted:

Big phones sell.

I really didn't like the idea of going to a 5"+ phone when I got the Moto X but now that I have it I can't imagine going smaller. So, go big phones or go home I guess.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

Require More Fire posted:

I really didn't like the idea of going to a 5"+ phone when I got the Moto X but now that I have it I can't imagine going smaller. So, go big phones or go home I guess.

I went from s3 to Z1 and just ordered a Z3C. I think the Moto X 2013 form factor is absolutely perfect.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Require More Fire posted:

The 2nd gen Moto X on Verizon got (a working version) of Lollipop in like November. :smug:

To be fair, seeing my wife's N6 in use I'll admit I could easily get used to using it (minus the horrible notification light) I just don't think I could get used to carrying it. She never pockets anything so to her it's no difference how big the phone is, she probably wouldn't mind carrying the Nexus 7. I'm very much a keep it in my pocket until I need it kind of guy so I'd imagine it would get old really fast for me.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
The HTC one M8 is a great phone, but for some reason is not included in the op. I'd recommend it to anyone. The camera could maybe be improved upon but even thats got some great features for idiots like me to play with.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
I have a Note 3 on Verizon. I like it, but would like to downsize and am looking at the Moto X or Droid Turbo... any opinions?

The X looks great, but that battery on the Turbo...

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

the milk machine posted:

I have a Note 3 on Verizon. I like it, but would like to downsize and am looking at the Moto X or Droid Turbo... any opinions?

The X looks great, but that battery on the Turbo...

From my understanding both are fantastic options. So really it's a matter of looks over battery.

Between the two I'd go with the Moto X.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Skeezy posted:

From my understanding both are fantastic options. So really it's a matter of looks over battery.

Between the two I'd go with the Moto X.
This is exactly right. Like Skeezy I'd value looks over the battery and pick the Moto X but really the only differences are the 2010-era looks on the Turbo and the larger battery on the Turbo. Even when it comes to updates both should be about equivalent.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

uPen posted:

If you bought it on the play store call Google, they'll replace it free of charge.

Hey I'm in the similar position of being an idiot fuckboy who smashed my Nexus 5 on the ground, however I have the disadvantage of living in Europe, where the free replacement deal isn't offered (I'd be happy to be wrong on this?). So, back to that other guy's question, is there any good DIY screen replacement kits out there?

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

My Moto X keeps turning the volume/ringer back up on my phone even though I want it silenced when I'm not at home. I'm assuming its because Moto Assist turns it back on when I am home and doesn't turn it back down when I am somewhere else. Is there a way to change or configure this?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

LastInLine posted:

This is exactly right. Like Skeezy I'd value looks over the battery and pick the Moto X but really the only differences are the 2010-era looks on the Turbo and the larger battery on the Turbo. Even when it comes to updates both should be about equivalent.

Actually, that's not the only difference.

Turbo has a QHD screen over the X's 1080p

Turbo has a Snapdragon 805 vs the 801 in the X. Now, granted, due to the higher resolution of the Turbo, the Adreno 420 GPU speed increases are almost all negated.

Turbo has a better camera (I'm not just talking MP count, the Turbo's camera is legit good.)

Turbo has wireless charging.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
I really like the idea of a battery that could get me from waking up in the morning to going to sleep at night without needing to be plugged in, but the X really looks and feels nice. As for the camera, is the X noticeably worse?

They're both relatively new; are they likely to see a meaningful update this year?

I've read reviews and such, but I'm wondering more what the real world differences would be and I'm not an Android expert.

vvv Sorry, I meant whether the hardware will get an update this year or a new, "better" model will come out.

the milk machine fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Feb 3, 2015

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

the milk machine posted:

I really like the idea of a battery that could get me from waking up in the morning to going to sleep at night without needing to be plugged in, but the X really looks and feels nice. As for the camera, is the X noticeably worse?

They're both relatively new; are they likely to see a meaningful update this year?

I've read reviews and such, but I'm wondering more what the real world differences would be and I'm not an Android expert.

They will get updates to Lollipop (I think the X already got it's update??)

Whether or not Lollipop is meaningful is a different topic.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family

the milk machine posted:

If you care about battery life go with the Turbo. The X's battery can get through a whole day for sure but A) it'll be close to death by then and B) might not make it if you're a heavy user.

The camera on the X is fine but it's not anything game-changing.

Oh and the X is already on Lollipop and it's stable. I haven't had any of the widespread Lollipop-related issues.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Hey I'm in the similar position of being an idiot fuckboy who smashed my Nexus 5 on the ground, however I have the disadvantage of living in Europe, where the free replacement deal isn't offered (I'd be happy to be wrong on this?). So, back to that other guy's question, is there any good DIY screen replacement kits out there?

Have you actually called Google and asked?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Samsung is now pushing L for euro galaxy s4.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

stickyfngrdboy posted:

The HTC one M8 is a great phone, but for some reason is not included in the op. I'd recommend it to anyone. The camera could maybe be improved upon but even thats got some great features for idiots like me to play with.
The camera should be way better once we get Lollipop+new Sense and can get raw pictures.

At least that's what I tell myself :negative:

Outside of the camera and power button location it is a really great phone

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Goddammit the Lollipop poo poo where I can't silence/change my notification volume while in the Hangouts app is really starting to piss me off (it just adjusts in-call volume if I touch the up/down buttons while in the app).

vvvv Well poo poo, sorry Google, I was wrong :shobon:

CLAM DOWN fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Feb 3, 2015

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

CLAM DOWN posted:

Goddammit the Lollipop poo poo where I can't silence/change my notification volume while in the Hangouts app is really starting to piss me off (it just adjusts in-call volume if I touch the up/down buttons while in the app).

That's a bug on KitKat too, I get it on my Turbo

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

stickyfngrdboy posted:

I'm actually beginning to think the E8 (the M8's plastic cousin) is actually going to be the best replacement for my dying N4. It's a couple of hundred cheaper than the M8 and has a normal 13mp camera that apparently works okay in most situations which leaves only the awkward power button location issue. Well that and a somewhat cheap shell but I really don't care much about that.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

mango sentinel posted:

The camera should be way better once we get Lollipop+new Sense and can get raw pictures.

At least that's what I tell myself :negative:

Outside of the camera and power button location it is a really great phone

That would be nice. Ive already got lollipop but I haven't noticed a new sense thing.

I also don't mind the power button at the top, in fact I prefer it there to anywhere else now I'm used to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
Had anyone had a problem with their Nexus 5 not recognizing a sim card? I went to sell mine last night and the dude popped his sim in, nothing. Restarted, nothing. A second factory reset, nothing. Tried my sim from my Nexus 6, nothing.

This is a phone that I used as a daily until I got my Nexus 6, and it's just been sitting there waiting to get sold. Worked perfectly fine before. Why would it suddenly not read a sim? The phone is useless now, I'm stuck with a brick.