Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

priznat posted:

One thing I learned from reading way too many 80s clancy-esque military thrillers is that the food is apparently really good on the subs c/d?

Would you rather have 2-4 cooks that cook for 60-80 dudes or 30+ cooks that cook for 300-4000 dudes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

ded posted:

Would you rather have 2-4 cooks that cook for 60-80 dudes or 30+ cooks that cook for 300-4000 dudes?

Ugh, math!

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Godholio posted:

That wasn't ever a serious attempt. It was in a goddamned book and a few people were like, "Hey should we look into this a bit more? No, nevermind." The Bone has been goddamned HUGE in Iraq and Afghanistan, so I'm not sure how it's irrelevant. As a low-level supersonic wunderbomber, yeah that's not gonna work. But as a conventional bomber with a few unique tricks, it's been very successful.

Oh there's no doubt that it can and does do its job as a bomber, it's just expensive as hell to operate IIRC. We've got a ton of these pricey but capable airframes so we're going to use them, but I was curious if there's been any innovations that actually take advantage of the purpose-built Cold War pinko killing features since a swing wing mach 2 nuclear bomber dropping pain on mudhuts is like swatting mosquitos with a bat. Regardless, it's a cool rear end airplane, I remember seeing them parked at Hickam a few times when I was living there way back when.

Helldump Immunity.
Aug 2, 2013

Fuck you
The Bone whiskers are so :3:

Risket
Apr 3, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

iyaayas01 posted:

This would also be why we kept the tooling for a SLEP, because those 187 (actually less since a significant portion of them have a hardware incompatibility that makes them incapable of being upgraded to current spec, which means they aren't combat coded) are quite literally it for air superiority in the US military for at least another several decades. When we discover wing cracks in the fleet in 20 years we're sure as hell not going to retire any of them, each one has to stay in service as long as it is physically in one piece.
Can you elaborate on the hardware incompatibility, as well as the combat coding? Does this mean that some of the Raptors cannot fly combat missions, and can only fly training missions or airshows or something?

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Risket posted:

Can you elaborate on the hardware incompatibility, as well as the combat coding? Does this mean that some of the Raptors cannot fly combat missions, and can only fly training missions or airshows or something?

The hardware incompatibility is basically a processor issue...the first several dozen aircraft off the line (the number is around 40) were built in such a way that their processor hardware is prohibitively expensive to upgrade to enable the current Block upgrades. Basically these aircraft were Block 10s that were capable of being upgraded to Block 20, but not being upgraded beyond that. Later aircraft were built as Block 20s off the production line with the capability to be upgraded beyond that. The current combat standard is Block 30+, so these aircraft that are only Block 20s are no longer at the current combat standard.

"Combat coded" is what the aircraft are tasked to do; in other words, what the mission is of the unit they are assigned to. The aircraft in question are assigned to test/training units...so the FTU (Formal Training Unit) at Tyndall as well as T&E (Test and Evaluation) birds at places like Edwards and Nellis. So with around 40 of the aircraft falling into the "not combat coded" category, the real number of combat coded jets (assigned to actual operational units who regularly deploy, at places like Elmendorf/Langley/etc) is closer to 140. The aircraft in question that aren't combat coded aren't completely helpless (they still have a radar, can carry weapons, have LO, etc), it's just that they lack the various upgrades (software, sensors, weapons, etc) that the later Block 30+ configured aircraft have.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Edit: Oh fine, give details.

Risket
Apr 3, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

iyaayas01 posted:

The hardware incompatibility is basically a processor issue...the first several dozen aircraft off the line (the number is around 40) were built in such a way that their processor hardware is prohibitively expensive to upgrade to enable the current Block upgrades. Basically these aircraft were Block 10s that were capable of being upgraded to Block 20, but not being upgraded beyond that. Later aircraft were built as Block 20s off the production line with the capability to be upgraded beyond that. The current combat standard is Block 30+, so these aircraft that are only Block 20s are no longer at the current combat standard.
I have no idea what I'm talking about, but it seems as if they could go "hey lets install the new poo poo in the older birds so they'll all the same". I used to work on CH-46's and CH-53's, and a lot of those had little things about them that were singular to that aircraft, but they had been in service for years and years (some supposedly since Vietnam). It seems crazy to do that right off the production line...

Aren't all the B-52's different from each other, because they've been in service for so long?

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

Risket posted:

Aren't all the B-52's different from each other, because they've been in service for so long?

Technically, yes.

But the difference is only where they have used duct tape, wire coat hangers and gorilla glue to piece it back together.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Good-ish news.

In Net Neutrality Push, F.C.C. Is Expected to Propose Regulating Internet Service as a Utility

I expect a lot of legal challenges to the new rules, and the FCC is promising the industry a "light-touch" when it comes to Title II enforcement, but considering that I was very pessimistic of anything coming out of the FCC that wasn't a champagne blowjob for the telecoms, this is a pleasant surprise.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

lol if you think its gonna happen

(its not)

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Dead Reckoning posted:

IYAAYAS hit most of the big points, but I already typed this up, so:

The Air Force really does need more money for recapitalization. Between the post-Cold War procurement holiday and Gates putting the AF on notice that all their roles and missions not directly related to supporting combat in Iraq and Afghanistan were going to take a back seat, there are a whole slate of weapon systems at or past the end of their life-cycle with no replacement in development. The Navy is pretty much in the same boat (no pun intended.)

The Air Force sees the A-10 as reaching the end of its useful life as a CAS platform. The aircraft has inherent deficiencies (underpowered, slow, limited all-weather capability) and was designed at time when the ZSU-23-4 and SA-7 were the main Warsaw Pact tactical SHORAD systems. Simply, an aircraft armed primarily with a gun and depending on armor for protection is no longer keeping up with the times. It's true that gun runs allow for closer attacks to friendly forces than JDAMs, but the AF has been working hard on developing high precision, low explosive radius weapons, which are closing that gap. It makes more sense: have a set of weapons you can load on to any of your strikers to give them the capability for close in CAS, rather than maintaining an entire fleet of aircraft for the purpose, especially since gun runs are going to become more and more dangerous as non-poo poo MANPADS proliferate in the wild.

The main congressional opposition to retiring the A-10 is John McCain, who just happens to represent a state where a large number of A-10s are based.
Actually, the Global Hawk apparently got the A-10 style "you have to retire the U-2 or the RQ-4, and it can't be the RQ-4." I suspect there was some serious "re-evaluation of accounting metrics" in order to get to "no, really the cost-per-flight hour is 25% less than last year."

Just wanted to say John McCain also just tried to kill off the Jones Act by attaching an amendment to the Keystone bill but was easily defeated. Not a fan of his in the least, he needs to do something other than be a geriatric politician.

Lazy Reservist
Nov 30, 2005

FUBIJAR

Zeroisanumber posted:

Good-ish news.

In Net Neutrality Push, F.C.C. Is Expected to Propose Regulating Internet Service as a Utility

I expect a lot of legal challenges to the new rules, and the FCC is promising the industry a "light-touch" when it comes to Title II enforcement, but considering that I was very pessimistic of anything coming out of the FCC that wasn't a champagne blowjob for the telecoms, this is a pleasant surprise.

Is anyone else worried that once the FCC starts regulating the net, no matter how light a touch they promise, that it'll essentially be the end of P2P, restricted file sharing, and various forms of censorship? Or am I just being :tinfoil:

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

its not going to happen

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Lazy Reservist posted:

Is anyone else worried that once the FCC starts regulating the net, no matter how light a touch they promise, that it'll essentially be the end of P2P, restricted file sharing, and various forms of censorship? Or am I just being :tinfoil:

You realize that various laws and regulations already apply to the internet and have provisions against sharing copyrighted material via P2P or other means, right? The FCC isn't going to (and arguably can't) go full Roskomnadzor.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

The FCC chairman was a telecom lobbyist since the 1970s and has been inducted into at least two of their halls of fame. He's not gonna poo poo in his buffet.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

So apparently this is a thing

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/555454/Intercepted-Russian-bomber-was-carrying-a-nuclear-missile-over-the-Channel

Pretty cool Russia is flying nukes around like it's the 1950's again

Nostalgia4ColdWar
May 7, 2007

Good people deserve good things.

Till someone lets the winter in and the dying begins, because Old Dark Places attract Old Dark Things.

Bolow posted:

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/555454/Intercepted-Russian-bomber-was-carrying-a-nuclear-missile-over-the-Channel

The more things change...

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Russia... Russia never changes.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Bolow posted:

And we thought the cold war was over? lmbo

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

ded posted:

I'm supposed to think some Russians loving around is a sign of the resurgence of the Cold War?

Did you hear they arrested a russian spy in NYC a couple weeks ago

It's basically the 80s again!

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

ded posted:

Well, their bonds are at junk status and nothing seems to be looking up so they go to what they got left.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Ummmm I'm just a retard from NZ but isn't flying a nuclear weapon in another country's airspace pretty much a blatant sign of aggression/war?

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Its the open sea, not exactly another country's airspace, though who even knows how soon an ADIZ is going to get set up there.

Fister Ardennes
Apr 25, 2008

War is not the answer but it sure is fun

Bolow posted:

Don't stop Putin, I'm almost there.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
I guess Putin's tired of the baltic sea, Sweden doesn't even try to intercept his subs (they can't).

Also, propdriven bombers??

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Two Finger posted:

Ummmm I'm just a retard from NZ but isn't flying a nuclear weapon in another country's airspace pretty much a blatant sign of aggression/war?

Add it to the loving list, then. Since no one actually wants to spark a world war the punishment for acts of aggression ends up being poo poo like "hey we're cutting off salt exports to your country for a few months you assholes"

I get cranky because every time China fucks around in the Pacific and we park an aircraft carrier next to Taiwan there's a bunch of loonies going "IT'S REALLY GOING TO HAPPEN THIS TIME GUYS"

Nostalgia4ColdWar
May 7, 2007

Good people deserve good things.

Till someone lets the winter in and the dying begins, because Old Dark Places attract Old Dark Things.

Two Finger posted:

Ummmm I'm just a retard from NZ but isn't flying a nuclear weapon in another country's airspace shooting down a civilian aircraft invading the Ukraine flying bombers into US territory everything Putin's done to distract people from their lovely economy and shittier country pretty much a blatant sign of aggression/war?

Nope.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Wild Horses posted:

I guess Putin's tired of the baltic sea, Sweden doesn't even try to intercept his subs (they can't).

Propdriven or turbojet driven, our poo poo is really hosed if heavy bombers get through.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Wild Horses posted:

Why not? All of them were built in the 80s and 90s, which makes them 30 years newer than our flying B-52s.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Risket posted:

I have no idea what I'm talking about, but it seems as if they could go "hey lets install the new poo poo in the older birds so they'll all the same". I used to work on CH-46's and CH-53's, and a lot of those had little things about them that were singular to that aircraft, but they had been in service for years and years (some supposedly since Vietnam). It seems crazy to do that right off the production line...

Spiral development. As jets are coming off the production line they are making incremental changes to the design to add additional capabilities that they didn't have the funding for and/or that wasn't mature technology when the first jets were being built. They also are making improvements based on experience in the field. Those jets that are already fielded then have to get those additional capabilities added in after the fact...but in some cases it is cost prohibitive to get those upgrades made to portions of the fleet due to significant changes in design between the first jets off the line and the later manufactured ones. It's not as bad as it used to be with the Raptor, there were previously something like 6 different configs across the fleet, now they've all been standardized on 3 (or maybe even two, I dunno if they've gotten all the non-Block 20 jets up to the Increment 3.1 standard).

The reason spiral development is a thing is because the sticker-price on jet fighters is significant...and it gets even more significant if you add in all the bells and whistles that a fighter will eventually be fielded with right up front. Putting everything in on the front end also seriously compounds the timeline for fielding...the development timeline for the Raptor would have been even more protracted if they had (for example) shoe horned SDB and ground mapping capability into the first OFP build as opposed to pushing it out to Increment 3.1 (several years after initial fielding). I have mixed feelings about spiral development, because taken to its logical extreme it results in some serious stupidity...but the idea of less capable jets rolling off the production line first and then being upgraded later is unfortunately a fact of life in modern procurement programs. By no means is it limited to the Raptor or even to advanced fighters (for example, the Osprey, the replacement to the Phrog, had spiral development built in to its acquisition program.)

This problem is even worse with the F-35, because in addition to spiral development being built in to the program even if everything goes right, the F-35 has concurrency, where they are building significant numbers of production aircraft well before they are anywhere near completion of testing. This means that unless your modeling and simulation prior to beginning production has been perfect, you are going to discover issues in testing of actual hardware (that didn't crop in in M&S). Which in turn means that the aircraft rolling off the production line will have to be retrofitted after fielding to fix these issues, as opposed to doing things in the right order where you test then fix then build/buy.

I'll give you one guess as to whether or not the F-35's modeling and simulations were perfect.

(Concurrency was and is loving stupid)

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Koesj posted:

Its the open sea, not exactly another country's airspace, though who even knows how soon an ADIZ is going to get set up there.

The inner ADIZ is what matters. Breaking the outer ADIZ provokes an interception. Penetrating the inner one is weapons free type poo poo.

For those who don't know, an ADIZ is an air defense identification zone. The inner one is set at 12 miles off the coast, if I remember correctly.

bloops fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Feb 3, 2015

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

holocaust bloopers posted:

The inner ADIZ is what matters. Breaking the outer ADIZ provokes an interception. Penetrating the inner one is weapons free type poo poo.

For those who don't know, an ADIZ is an air defense identification zone. The inner one is set at 12 miles off the coast, if I remember correctly.

The inner one (12 miles) isn't technically an ADIZ, it's the internationally recognized limit of a country's no-poo poo airspace.

Hence why busting it generates a..."more aggressive" response than flying a Bear a couple hundred miles off the Aleutians.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

holocaust bloopers posted:

We get to hear ADIZ violation advisory calls over guard all the time. Even when you can tell its some 110lb 19 year old girl, the phrase "Aircraft squawking 1200, position, direction of flight, at altitude, this is the US Air Force, squawk discrete code and contact the FAA immediately" never ceases to send a chill down your spine.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Bomb found at Cairo international airport.

Phone posting no details

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

MrYenko posted:

We get to hear ADIZ violation advisory calls over guard all the time. Even when you can tell its some 110lb 19 year old girl, the phrase "Aircraft squawking 1200, position, direction of flight, at altitude, this is the US Air Force, squawk discrete code and contact the FAA immediately" never ceases to send a chill down your spine.

I've made these calls for TFRs, like when the president is in town somewhere. It usually takes two calls before GA realizes you're talking to them. It's kind of fun on the second or third call, when you're putting a bit more emphasis on certain words, then the next time the radar swings around they've snapped to the new heading and are trying to squeeze every bit of airspeed from the plane because "gently caress that's me!"

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe

Waroduce posted:

Bomb found at Cairo international airport.

Phone posting no details

http://www.latimes.com/world/middleeast/la-fg-egypt-cairo-alexandria-20150203-story.html posted:

Reflecting the increased public fear and awareness, a popular smartphone application designed to provide information on traffic jams started a new service last week titled "Where is the bomb?" to alert commuters about reports of roadside explosives.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
The Islamic State has apparently released a video that shows the Jordanian fighter pilot being burned alive. Jordan promised to hang every member of ISIL that they get their hands on in response.

Killing every member of ISIL who fights and hanging every one that surrenders sounds like good policy to me.

AllDogsGoodDogs
Dec 30, 2008
I guess that's gonna be the new shock method.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
God, that's horrible. Makes beheading sound preferable.

• Locked thread