Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bank
Feb 20, 2004
Holy cow Sprint/Apple is driving me crazy this week. I bought an iPhone 5C off Swappa and it has a clean IMEI, but it won't activate because of SIM issues. I put in a SIM from my Sprint Moto X (now has a cracked screen..) and it wouldn't activate online (gave me an error about it being used on another device). Called Sprint, said there were SIM issues so I went into the store to try and get a new SIM. Put in the new SIM, tried to activate, and the clerk just put her hands up in the air saying the new SIM needs to be specific to the 5C. No idea if this is Sprint or Apple's doing, but I assume it's Apple's. Nonetheless Sprint's support for this is pretty abysmal.

I went to the Apple store and they told me to go to Sprint. Great.

Any idea what I can do here? I'm about to try and buy a SIM off Amazon that supposedly works with the 5C, but I don't want to throw good money away. Is Sprint giving me the runaround here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

Bank posted:

Holy cow Sprint/Apple is driving me crazy this week. I bought an iPhone 5C off Swappa and it has a clean IMEI, but it won't activate because of SIM issues. I put in a SIM from my Sprint Moto X (now has a cracked screen..) and it wouldn't activate online (gave me an error about it being used on another device). Called Sprint, said there were SIM issues so I went into the store to try and get a new SIM. Put in the new SIM, tried to activate, and the clerk just put her hands up in the air saying the new SIM needs to be specific to the 5C. No idea if this is Sprint or Apple's doing, but I assume it's Apple's. Nonetheless Sprint's support for this is pretty abysmal.

I went to the Apple store and they told me to go to Sprint. Great.

Any idea what I can do here? I'm about to try and buy a SIM off Amazon that supposedly works with the 5C, but I don't want to throw good money away. Is Sprint giving me the runaround here?

Sounds like it, they're supposed to give out SIM cards if the device is active on an account for free. Try calling customer care and seeing if they'll ship you one? If you can't get it to activate just keep it on your account and put the total equipment protection on it and take it to a sprint store with techs and they'll have to replace it.

Bank
Feb 20, 2004
Yeah I ended up going to a few different stores and one of them had a SIM but not for my phone apparently. I went through international Sprint chat and they knew what I was talking about right off the bat, just have to wait 5-7 days for the SIM to show up now..I'm hoping this works.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Bank posted:

Yeah I ended up going to a few different stores and one of them had a SIM but not for my phone apparently. I went through international Sprint chat and they knew what I was talking about right off the bat, just have to wait 5-7 days for the SIM to show up now..I'm hoping this works.

Sprint has specific SIM cards for different devices, even between iPhones, it's a loving nightmare.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

e.pilot posted:

Sprint has specific SIM cards for different devices, even between iPhones, it's a loving nightmare.

Sprint SIM reference spreadsheet:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1yq3Qupa_dLlmNURbl2CBaAZjz0dntfZc12r57Y1FrwA/pubhtml

Bank
Feb 20, 2004

I ended up finding this after reading the product codes from various eBay auctions. Holy poo poo is it confusing. What is wrong with these people..a SIM is a drat SIM. I guess they just want to make it harder to get used phones, since they aren't even training their in-store reps properly about this. Online support has been hit or miss too.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
I have an "unlimited" EPRP data plan with Sprint. If I root my Note 4, can I tether with relatively little restriction? I have cable internet at home and school, I just want to be able to have internet access on my laptop when I am at my mom's house (no internet) or getting lunch.

Wankie
Sep 11, 2002

Look Glenn we're saved!
Unless your doing crazy amounts of data usage (10's of gigabytes) or roaming sprint doesn't seem to notice/care. I've been doing rooted/Easy tether on my unlimited account for years with nary a peep, I blew thru 7 gigs of tethered data in a week while visiting San Francisco because of crappy and expensive hotel Wifi.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

Wankie posted:

Unless your doing crazy amounts of data usage (10's of gigabytes) or roaming sprint doesn't seem to notice/care. I've been doing rooted/Easy tether on my unlimited account for years with nary a peep, I blew thru 7 gigs of tethered data in a week while visiting San Francisco because of crappy and expensive hotel Wifi.

This and adblock are the only two things I miss about having root. I'd be willing to pay for mobile hotspot if the prices were reasonable, but I can't justify what they charge based on how little I'd actually use it.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

If it were price and performance competitive with Comcast, I'd drop Comcast in a heartbeat, but being Sprint, it's neither.

Bank
Feb 20, 2004
After all that crap I went through to get the 5C working, it's display is hosed. It shows a black screen every 15 minutes. Luckily I bought on Swappa and the seller has to take it back (180 days for Paypal dispute!).

Anyway, I need something to get my wife through the next three months. She would have upgraded last month, but another person on the family plan "stole" her upgrade because they broke their phone. Could I activate something like this on the line? http://www.frys.com/product/8329447

Fry's is a bit of a drive from me but I'm willing to do it to get my wife away from her broken rear end phone.

Bank
Feb 20, 2004
And I found out prepaid phones can't be used on post paid accounts. Sprint, you're killing me.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Don't let one bad phone turn you off from Swappa. I'm sure there are plenty of good ones on there.

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

PBCrunch posted:

I have an "unlimited" EPRP data plan with Sprint. If I root my Note 4, can I tether with relatively little restriction? I have cable internet at home and school, I just want to be able to have internet access on my laptop when I am at my mom's house (no internet) or getting lunch.

I once used 52GB in a month; and the months around it the mid to upper 40s without a letter or anything

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

uapyro posted:

I once used 52GB in a month; and the months around it the mid to upper 40s without a letter or anything

That works out to more data in one day than I've ever been able to pull down in a whole month from Sprint's poo poo network.

Two more months and my contract is finally up...

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

IOwnCalculus posted:

That works out to more data in one day than I've ever been able to pull down in a whole month from Sprint's poo poo network.

Two more months and my contract is finally up...

Are you on 3G?

I absolutely hated it, and still hate passing through some 3G areas since I could get faster dialup speeds. It'd usually take me about 10 to 15 minutes to play a 3 minute song--if I didn't give up before then.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

IOwnCalculus posted:

I had sprint as my only home internet for a year or so, averaged probably 10-15gb on 3g. Then 4g hit the area, and my last 3 months were 89, 97, and 89 gb. Never a letter or complaint of any kind. (Then I moved, and cable was available, so no more of that poo poo.)

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
So right now I have Sero Premium for $50+taxes I want to get a new phone as I'm still on a evo 4g. Any phone I look at on their site though says "If you want this device, you'll need to change your plan." Is there really not any way for me to get a new phone without switching plans?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Harminoff posted:

So right now I have Sero Premium for $50+taxes I want to get a new phone as I'm still on a evo 4g. Any phone I look at on their site though says "If you want this device, you'll need to change your plan." Is there really not any way for me to get a new phone without switching plans?

You're on a WiMAX plan. They need to change you to an LTE plan. It'll still be SERO. Call the SERO line or maybe do a webchat.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Vykk.Draygo posted:

You're on a WiMAX plan. They need to change you to an LTE plan. It'll still be SERO. Call the SERO line or maybe do a webchat.

Same price and terms with that and whatnot?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Harminoff posted:

Same price and terms with that and whatnot?

Yes.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Awesome thanks. Any recommendations for an android phone? Not looking to spend much so either s4 or g3 it looks like. I won't be playing games just a lot of streaming podcasts/pandora/spotify on headphones at work. Would also be browsing the web a lot.

Harminoff fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Feb 3, 2015

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Harminoff posted:

Awesome thanks. Any recommendations for an android phone? Not looking to spend much so either s4 or g3 it looks like. I won't be playing games just a lot of streaming podcasts/pandora/spotify on headphones at work. Would also be browsing the web a lot.

If you're considering the S4, then I wouldn't rule out the Moto X. Despite being a 2013 device, it's still very functional. However, if you don't mind spending the $50, the G3 is probably the best bet as long as you don't mind having all the physical buttons on the back.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Is the moto x I'd get not a 2nd gen?

hmm also the big complaint I see with both of these is that they aren't that bright and hard to use in sunlight. I'm outdoors a lot in the summer so should I be looking elsewhere? $150 I guess is my max price though under $100 would be awesome.

Harminoff fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Feb 3, 2015

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Harminoff posted:

Is the moto x I'd get not a 2nd gen?

hmm also the big complaint I see with both of these is that they aren't that bright and hard to use in sunlight. I'm outdoors a lot in the summer so should I be looking elsewhere? $150 I guess is my max price though under $100 would be awesome.

Sprint, for some reason nobody knows, decided at the last minute to be the only carrier to NOT carry the 2nd gen Moto X (this was the final fuckup that made me ditch Sprint).

As for phone brightness, that's pretty subjective so I can't really say. I haven't had much trouble with my Moto X at full brightness in the summer, but you might feel differently.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
So just called them and the lady said the prices would be a lot more than listed. g3 was $299 s4 $250. The site is listing the g3 at $49.99 with a 2 year agreement but she said that is just for a new account. Is that right?

I called 888-882-4030

Harminoff fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Feb 3, 2015

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Harminoff posted:

So just called them and the lady said the prices would be a lot more than listed. g3 was $299 s4 $250. The site is listing the g3 at $49.99 with a 2 year agreement but she said that is just for a new account. Is that right?

I called 888-882-4030

Hmm, you're right, they do all say that they are web exclusive and new lines only. Well I'm all out of ideas. I doubt any of those phones are worth that cost with an upgrade. Sprint just gets worse and worse.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

I highly highly recommend ordering online instead of by phone. With the new easy pay BS, the telesales people pretty frequently give bad information. The G3 goes on web-only special pretty frequently for $50-$100 (my Dad just went from an Evo 4g to the G3 2 weeks ago for $100). Right now it is $200 with a 2 year contract. To get the 2 year contract prices rather than the easy pay prices, log on to your Sprint account (as if you were paying your bill), then scroll down to your current device, hovering over the green i, and clicking "Learn more" in the You're eligible to upgrade popup.

The 2013 Moto X isn't a Tri-band device (Sprint's LTE spectrum is 800mhz (Band 26), 1.9ghz (Band 25) and 2.5ghz (Band 41), the Sprint X only supports band 25), so it's probably a bad buy on Sprint. I'm sure the reason they didn't get the 2014 is because Moto didn't want to make it tri-band, not because Sprint just decided not to carry it.

Grumpwagon fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Feb 3, 2015

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Grumpwagon posted:

I'm sure the reason they didn't get the 2014 is because Moto didn't want to make it tri-band, not because Sprint just decided not to carry it.

The thing is, Moto had a tri-band CDMA/LTE version of the 2014 model that everyone thought was for Sprint. It passed FCC cert and was seemingly going on sale and then Sprint announced via twitter that they wouldn't sell it.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

nimper posted:

The thing is, Moto had a tri-band CDMA/LTE version of the 2014 model that everyone thought was for Sprint. It passed FCC cert and was seemingly going on sale and then Sprint announced via twitter that they wouldn't sell it.

I stand corrected then, I didn't know that.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Grumpwagon posted:

To get the 2 year contract prices rather than the easy pay prices, log on to your Sprint account (as if you were paying your bill), then scroll down to your current device, hovering over the green i, and clicking "Learn more" in the You're eligible to upgrade popup.

Well that worked, thanks!

So now my choices are s4, g3 vigor, lg g flex, HTC One® E8, moto x

Though I'm guessing the only one worth while though is the s4?

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Harminoff posted:

In all likelihood, the s6 will be out within 2 months or so; if you aren't in a huge hurry, that presumably means the s5 will be hitting the sale rack at that time.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

The HTC One E8 actually sounds pretty good.

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.

Harminoff posted:

I just upgraded my S4 to an HTC One M8, and have been loving it. HTC has a much better handle on bloatware and user experience, and it's pretty much a straight upgrade all around. Everything I'm seeing about the E8 suggests it's basically the same only made out of lower grade materials.

The rear camera isn't that good, though, if that's your thing.

Plus, M8 just got a lollipop update, so suck it.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Anyone know if there are any issues with rolling a single line Sero 500 plan over to a dual line plan? Guessing the Sero family plan. Does Sprint still allow that or will they take this chance to finally force me off the plan for one of their more lucrative (for them) ones?

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.
So I am sending my sprint note 4 to samsung for some service (camera issues), and I wanted to use my old S3 in the meantime as a backup. Once I shut down my note 4 (wipe, remove sim, etc), will the S3 just "work" or do I need to get it reactivated somehow? I've never had to do this kind of thing before.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

Is international support still the best way to get a SIM card for a Nexus 5 purchased from craigslist? If so, what's their number, or should I just ask to be transferred there?

EDIT: I called *2 (on EPRP) support, and they transferred me to "Order Support." That guy knew what I was asking for and sent a SIM right out.

EDIT 2: If anyone else is considering this, make sure to get a Nexus 5 originally purchased from Sprint or the Play store, not T-Mobile.

7 Bowls of Wrath posted:

So I am sending my sprint note 4 to samsung for some service (camera issues), and I wanted to use my old S3 in the meantime as a backup. Once I shut down my note 4 (wipe, remove sim, etc), will the S3 just "work" or do I need to get it reactivated somehow? I've never had to do this kind of thing before.

You'll have to do a device swap on their website. It's very easy, you'll just need the MSID of the S3 (it might still be stored on the site if you had that phone on that account.

Dameius posted:

Anyone know if there are any issues with rolling a single line Sero 500 plan over to a dual line plan? Guessing the Sero family plan. Does Sprint still allow that or will they take this chance to finally force me off the plan for one of their more lucrative (for them) ones?

The "SERO Family Plan" is EPRP. I'm not sure if they'll still roll people over to that, but it's worth calling employee support and seeing. With 2 lines, it might not be a great deal for you though. I believe it is $110 for 2 lines (1600 minutes, unlimited data/text/mms). Their standard plan "Unlimited family plan" is $100 for 2 lines for unlimited everything (including minutes), but it does not come with contract upgrades. You'll have to decide if you'd rather BYOD or not.

I'm happy on Sprint, but it's also worth mentioning that you could look at prepaid service that resells Sprint service if you're in a good Sprint area (see the prepaid thread), or T-Mobile if you're in a bad Sprint area.

Grumpwagon fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Feb 12, 2015

Wankie
Sep 11, 2002

Look Glenn we're saved!
Well, the new Root Metrics report of network performance is out for last half of 2014 and Sprint just kicked T-Mobile back down to its proper place as the worst network in America. Cue enraged T-mobile fan boys.

http://recode.net/2015/02/09/sprint-is-no-longer-the-worst-network-says-rootmetrics-study/

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
The fight over 2nd to last place. We finally won.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Someone finally noticed that you can't get calls on t-mobile if you live more than 15 miles from a metropolitan center. Thank god Sprint roams on to Verizon or we'd be in the same boat.