Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Xizor's set officially spoiled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Just picked up Between the Shadows. It's so fuckin' nice to get new cards, even if the Rebel set is only 1 of.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

alg posted:

Just picked up Between the Shadows. It's so fuckin' nice to get new cards, even if the Rebel set is only 1 of.

drat good set though. I'm not sure what to make of the Smugglers one though. I guess if you try to dodge the objective its interesting-ish.

I love the gently caress out of that Ewok set though, man that's a great set.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013
Woohoo, Between the Shadows! Friend and I bought it last tonight, threw some decks together, and played a few games. My decks were:

2x A Hero's Trial, 2x The Master's Domain, 2x Following Fate, 2x The Flight of the Crow, 1x Heroes and Legends, 1x The Secret of Yavin 4
2x Masterful Manipulation, 2x All Out Brawl, 2x The Hunters, 2x Slave Trade, 1x The Best Credits Can Buy, 1x Lucrative Contract

I won all four games we played, though I think it was more due to the weaknesses in my friend's decks then anything else. A good place to start, at least.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

How did you like All Out Brawl? It's probably my least favorite of the new stuff however I'm looking forward to building a deck with that and Emperor's Web so I can Force Lightning + Zekka, and turn the Emperor into a 5 gun character with 'Armed to the Teeth'.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

PaybackJack posted:

How did you like All Out Brawl? It's probably my least favorite of the new stuff however I'm looking forward to building a deck with that and Emperor's Web so I can Force Lightning + Zekka, and turn the Emperor into a 5 gun character with 'Armed to the Teeth'.

While I wasn't too fond of it either, after using it last night I think it's a pretty nice defensive set. Zekka's combat icons make him an excellent blocker, and his reaction makes him a great form of MAD. The rest is mostly just extra defensive stuff, though the extra resource is nice. Zekka is also a nice target for a return to hand effect (e.g. A Better Offer), or some form of sacrifice if you think he's become too dangerous for you. Having Zekka wipe the board and then bringing back everything with Show of Force is a great way to close out a game, too.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Do you need to buy 2x Between the Shadows to get full playsets, or its this a complete box?

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

jivjov posted:

Do you need to buy 2x Between the Shadows to get full playsets, or its this a complete box?

Just 1.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Lichtenstein posted:

I assume some Slave I-style shenanigans? As in, scum lock the board down and then one shot-one kill strike at objectives? Myself I tend to gravitate to Force-based scum, but you've just given me the idea to introduce some Aqualish Thugs to Colonel Starck. :unsmigghh:

2x Tattooine Crash
2x The Slave Trade
2x Ultimate Power
2x Jabba's Orders
2x Jabba's Reach / 2x The Droid's Task

With TatCrash/Slavers you've always got captured units to make the Weequay in Jabba's Orders cheaper, plus Jabba's Palace coming up early with those flipped makes them 7 damage capacity objectives which is great. I just switched to Jabba's Reach instead of Droid's Task because I felt like I needed to win more edge battles and Reversal of Fate is awesome for that. I also felt like the damage from Droid's task was going to see diminishing returns and the Droids would never get their targeted strike because of all the jedi that would be committed to the force. IG-88 is a great card though, 3 guns 2 blast and a tactics on an elite unit is a great deal, he will be missed.

The crux of the deck works off Slavers drawing you lots of cards which gets you into both Superlasers. Jawas and Scum poke objectives and then Tarkin hits the board like a Superlaser while the actual Superlaser finish anything else off. Delay until you hit 6 on the Death Star dial and then bomb out in a turn with Tarkin + Superlaser. Superlaser also works great to get rid of those drat May The Force Be With You.

Probably will play this at Store Championships but we'll see how this new meta starts to shake out. Everything looks really good. Except the new Sith & Smugglers stuff, which is fine because they don't need more help.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
I asked this in the LCG thread but it might be better asked here:

Would the Star Wars LCG be a good intro to the LCG genre for kids? My kids love games like Dominion and Ascension so I'd like to try an LCG with them. LotR is an option but they like Star Wars better.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

vulturesrow posted:

Would the Star Wars LCG be a good intro to the LCG genre for kids? My kids love games like Dominion and Ascension so I'd like to try an LCG with them. LotR is an option but they like Star Wars better.

Yes, and you'd be best off getting a copy of both the Core set and the first deluxe expansion Edge of Darkness.

I have a friend who runs an after school league in his cram school and has a lot of kids interested. I live and teach in Taiwan so there's an ESL component that also is easier with this game because there aren't a lot of cards that have lots of words, and kids can easily look at the combat icons of a card to determine it's worth and abilities.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot
I'm consistently jealous of how much gaming seems to go on in Taiwan, given how little of a scene there was when I lived in Hong Kong.

vulturesrow posted:

I've only had the Core set for a couple weeks now, but after some time spent with it I'd definitely say yes. As PaybackJack noted, a lot of the interactions rely on symbols instead of text, and the text there is includes easily grasped keywords or relatively simple abilities. Its fun, quick, and accessible in a way that games like Netrunner aren't. Don't get me wrong, I loving love Netrunner and think its better designed- but there is a very steep difficulty curve for learning it, especially if you don't have a lot of prior experience with card games.

LotR is the only other LCG I could see introducing to kids. It has a huge benefit of being co-operative, which makes teaching the game much easier and creating a stress-free environment.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Gravy Train Robber posted:

I'm consistently jealous of how much gaming seems to go on in Taiwan, given how little of a scene there was when I lived in Hong Kong.

It's become a massively popular hobby over the last few years. Board Game shops will generally have 100 or so games that you can play, and just pay $3USD per person for a table all day long.

In terms of LCGs...well I built the Netrunner community and it's fallen apart a bit due to my quitting the game and also the stagnation of the environment. I guess that's the nature of a lot of communities in games is that they'll generally shrink over time rather than grow, and it's tough to recruit new players like we did in America. The stores here are very group centric and you don't have a lot of young people just hanging around the store looking to try new games or find people to play with.

Star Wars never got any momentum, mostly due to coming after Netrunner but also due to what I feel is a disinterest in the Star Wars theme as well.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jan 10, 2015

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013
After playing with my Jedi deck some more, I've decided to swap out A Hero's Trial with A Hero's Journey. While the new Luke is really good, I think the old set has more synergy with how I want the deck to play. While I Am a Jedi does provide resources, requiring a Force User to be in play first makes it far more difficult to use then I had originally hoped. Having another resource out helps mitigate that, of course, but then I don't feel the need to play it anyway. While the Speeder Bike is pretty great, the cheaper Twi'lek Loyalist will help with the cost curve, and with Flight of the Crow, I think I've got enough extra Edge anyway. Ruusan Colonists are pretty great when Plan of the Prophetess isn't everywhere! I'll miss the Heat of Battle the most, I think, but hopefully the extra objective damage from the Jedi Lightsaber will make up for it.

Current Jedi deck: 2x A Hero's Journey, 1x The Secret of Yavin 4, 1x Heroes and Legends, 2x The Flight of the Crow, 2x The Master's Domain, 2x Following Fate

As for Scum, I've replaced All Out Brawl with The Trandoshan Terror. As excellent a deterrent as Zekka Thyne is, I'm far too attached to my units to be comfortable with destroying them most of the time. I hope Bossk will let me trigger Boushh more often, and the Trandoshan Hunters are still excellent blockers. Still, Zekka Thyne has won me games by resetting the board, and I'm down a resource with the loss of the Debt Collectors, so we'll see how it goes.

Current Scum deck: 1x Lucrative Contract, 2x The Trandoshan Terror, 2x The Slave Trade, 2x Masterful Manipulation, 1x The Best Credits Can Buy, 2x The Hunters

My next experiment will be with a Trooper/Walker deck that I've tried on and off since General Veers came out. While straight Troopers is probably better, I like my AT-AT's way too much to not give this another go. Something like:
2x Imperial Command, 2x The General's Imperative, 1x Sabotage in the Snow, 2x Unstoppable Advance, 1x The Admiral's Assault, 2x Family Connections.
While having Tarkin, Motti, and Tagge in the same deck appeals to me greatly, I think the extra Fate Cards from The Admiral's Assault will work better. Maybe next cycle a Death Star deck will be a thing.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

I really don't like the new Obi-Wan set. Yes, it's nice in the early game but they put a single point of damage on it and it's blank, you're not running enough Secrets of Yavin to protect it very well either. Obi-Wan himself is kinda lame. Heroic Sacrifice is not great. R2 is good, TofOP is not necessary. His saber is so-so.

My Jedi:

2x Hero's Trial
2x Hero's Journey
2x Heroes and Legends
2x Secret of Yavin
2x In You Must Go

Swapping Luke for Luke with Heroes is amazing. Luke throwing his lightsaber all over the place is amazing. Attaching Luke's Lightsaber to old Luke is amazing.

That said my LS deck for Store Championships this month will probably be:

LS
2x Sacrifice at Endor
2x Ties of Blood
2x May the Force be With You
2x A Deep Commitment
1x Tribal Support
1x Watchers in the Wasteland

Ewoks own bones. I'm also seriously considering adding Secret of Yavin back on top of this deck because I miss a lot of the cards from it and the deck isn't particularly "running" towards any certain cards. Also those new Ewoks are amazing card draw.

Taran_Wanderer posted:

My next experiment will be with a Trooper/Walker deck that I've tried on and off since General Veers came out. While straight Troopers is probably better, I like my AT-AT's way too much to not give this another go. Something like:
2x Imperial Command, 2x The General's Imperative, 1x Sabotage in the Snow, 2x Unstoppable Advance, 1x The Admiral's Assault, 2x Family Connections.
While having Tarkin, Motti, and Tagge in the same deck appeals to me greatly, I think the extra Fate Cards from The Admiral's Assault will work better. Maybe next cycle a Death Star deck will be a thing.

I haven't built troopers yet but I plan to. The biggest problem with the old trooper deck was that you simply couldn't field enough of them. They need to make a card that lets you draw more cards whenever you play a trooper. Getting a shield on all your troopers is cool but doesn't make up for those times in your deck when you had nothing but troopers in your hand. So actually I like your idea of adding walkers to the mix.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jan 13, 2015

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

PaybackJack posted:

I really don't like the new Obi-Wan set. Yes, it's nice in the early game but they put a single point of damage on it and it's blank, you're not running enough Secrets of Yavin to protect it very well either. Obi-Wan himself is kinda lame. Heroic Sacrifice is not great. R2 is good, TofOP is not necessary. His saber is so-so.
While I was worried about this, so far I haven't really found it to be an issue. Way I figure it, either I have it for a while and it's annoying to them, or they swing at it early, and I can use that to swing back more easily. I'll have to test it against some more aggressive builds. I'm also considering swapping the new Luke back in and using Jedi Training or Self Preservation for more cheap Force Users and Embers of Hope for more attachments, but I am far too fond of all the extra edge and resources provided by The Flight of the Crow. So that I can have both built at the same time, I might try:
2x In You Must Go, 2x Questionable Contacts, 2x Self Preservation, 1x Embers of Hope, 1x Watchers in the Wasteland, 2x A Hero's Trial
Using Moisture Farmers to fuel Questionable Contacts amuses me greatly.

PaybackJack posted:

My Jedi:

2x Hero's Trial
2x Hero's Journey
2x Heroes and Legends
2x Secret of Yavin
2x In You Must Go

Swapping Luke for Luke with Heroes is amazing. Luke throwing his lightsaber all over the place is amazing. Attaching Luke's Lightsaber to old Luke is amazing.

I really like your Luke build! Usually I'm not fond of having that many unique units, but all that edge is really tempting. A friend of mine is going to try new Luke with Han, Chewie, and their weapons to maximize enhancement shenanigans. I'll have to show him this. Might be worth using To Arms! with the new Luke even if you aren't using Han and Chewie for the extra weapons, card draw, and weapon tutor. Huh. Maybe I'll try that out in the above Jedi deck instead of Embers of Hope.

PaybackJack posted:

I haven't built troopers yet but I plan to. The biggest problem with the old trooper deck was that you simply couldn't field enough of them. They need to make a card that lets you draw more cards whenever you play a trooper. Getting a shield on all your troopers is cool but doesn't make up for those times in your deck when you had nothing but troopers in your hand. So actually I like your idea of adding walkers to the mix.

I think that Family Connections is exactly what Troopers needed to bring them up to a Tier 1 deck, though going Sith for Vader's Fist and possibly The Second Phase is probably going to end up better then Veers. Still, I've been messing around with the Walkers for too long not to give it another go. I'm also considering Victory or Death for the extra force icons, resources and to get more use out of the Oribital Resupply Stations. A single Endless Reserves might not be bad either, simply to help pay for everything. Man, I really like messing around with different decks in Star Wars.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Didn't get in a ton of games but my Sith/Scum managed to weather the storm of Sleuth Scouts then the antics of a deck very similar to the one Taran_Wanderer posted(as an aside that was my favorite of those books). Blowing up Zekka with Force Lightning or Deadly Sight might be too good. Once he hit the board it was basically a free 2 ticks of the dial. The beauty too was that the first turn my opponent responded by playing The Moldy Crow and just trying to push some damage through. Since I had 2 Deadly Sights in hand that was bad. The next turn he threw down Red 5 and I popped Zekka with the other Deadly Sight.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Welp Store Championship season is over for me. Won the Taiwan one and came in 5-7th in the Singapore one using the same decks. The Singapore one was pretty crazy, I saw a ton of interesting decks. The Champion there won with Navy using a lot of Star Destroyers, his reasoning was that SDs could go up against Jedi really well, if Jedi went heavy Tactics they'd lose Blast Damage, and eventually the SDs would accumulate and wreck them, and SDs were strong enough to soak targeted strike damage. There was only one guy doing Smugglers and he was mixing it with Jedi. There was also a guy playing pure Rebel using a lot of the commando stuff, everyone was kind of afraid to play him because nobody knew what his deck did. He beat my in the first round because I wasn't paying attention to his cards and he played them well.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

My SC's haven't started yet. I am thinking Navy because nobody plays it and it's been my favorite faction since the start of the game.

Not sure what I want to do with Light Side. I think I may just continue playing my Rebel vehicle deck because it's fun :/ I don't want to play Jedi.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

alg posted:

My SC's haven't started yet. I am thinking Navy because nobody plays it and it's been my favorite faction since the start of the game.

Not sure what I want to do with Light Side. I think I may just continue playing my Rebel vehicle deck because it's fun :/ I don't want to play Jedi.

I'm pretty convinced at this point the only way to get around pure Scum is with Trench Run. Watching your opponent Masterful Manipulation his way into Hunters/Hunters/TatCrash or Slavers is not cool. As Jedi you might keep the force but Scum doesn't give a gently caress because they've got potentially 21 damage capacity worth of objectives plus Corrupt Officials. Run Rebels, with a splice of Smugglers for Dash. The trench run deck I'm starting with is:

2x Dash
2x Trench Run
2x Chewie
2x Winter (for infliration)
2x Falcon

Chewie isn't working out great so far, I'm thinking of switching in Undercover Dealings to get even more card churn so that you can get to those Trench Runs faster. I find if Chewie doesn't show up then those wookies basically suck and he himself might just get locked down and with Shadows of the Empire out there it's likely they'll just cycle that one away.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Feb 3, 2015

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013
My Store Championships have started yet, either, but they're coming up soon. Now that Conquest is out of the way, it's time to buckle down and play a ton of Star Wars. I've been playing Jedi pretty much since the game came out, so I'll probably stick with that. I'll try out this "Endor Commando" deck first, though:

1x Tribal Support, 2x Commando Operations, 2x Ties of Blood, 2x Impersonating a Deity, 2x A Hero's Trial, 1x Commando Raid

Who knows, it might even work! At the very least, Commando Operations will help against all The Prince's Schemes going around. Might also try something with more Rebels and Fate cards:

2x A Journey to Dagobah, 2x The Rebel Fleet, 1x Hit and Run, 2x Hoth Operations, 2x Commando Operations, 1x Commando Raid

I want to live the dream and play Wedge on Red Five. Haven't played with Home One in a while, so that should be fun, too.

As for the Dark Side, I'm having entirely too much fun with Scum & Villainy, though bringing out the old Star Destroyer deck is mighty tempting. I really miss playing Imperial Blockade. Still, with Boushh and all these big Jedi units, I think I'll try something with old Boba Fett:

2x The Bespin Exchange, 1x Carbonite Transport, 2x Trandoshan Terror, 2x Masterful Manipulation, 1x The Best That Credits Can Buy, 2x The Hunters

A little lighter on units and Tactics icons then I'm used to, but it might be interesting to pull off an Aggro Scum deck. Hopefully it'll be able to hold its own in the Edge, too.

PaybackJack posted:

I'm pretty convinced at this point the only way to get around pure Scum is with Trench Run. Watching your opponent Masterful Manipulation his way into Hunters/Hunters/TatCrash or Slavers is not cool. As Jedi you might keep the force but Scum doesn't give a gently caress because they've got potentially 21 damage capacity worth of objectives plus Corrupt Officials.

Eh, I don't know. My old Jedi deck holds its own pretty well, at least against the decks I've been playing against. Practically everything is Elite, so it's hard to have my board stay focused down and A Hero's Journey is still great for Targeted Strike and removing even more focus tokens from the board. Flight of the Crow also provides a lot of extra edge for getting around The Prince's Scheme, and the Moldy Crow itself is great for burst damage. Still, it might be worth trying out A Journey to Dagobah again for less edge dependent burst in Red Five, Double Strike and another Target of Opportunity. I still haven't gotten around to trying out A Hero's Trial with Embers of Hope, but I think that will work pretty well, too.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Taran_Wanderer posted:

Eh, I don't know. My old Jedi deck holds its own pretty well, at least against the decks I've been playing against. Practically everything is Elite, so it's hard to have my board stay focused down and A Hero's Journey is still great for Targeted Strike and removing even more focus tokens from the board. Flight of the Crow also provides a lot of extra edge for getting around The Prince's Scheme, and the Moldy Crow itself is great for burst damage. Still, it might be worth trying out A Journey to Dagobah again for less edge dependent burst in Red Five, Double Strike and another Target of Opportunity. I still haven't gotten around to trying out A Hero's Trial with Embers of Hope, but I think that will work pretty well, too.

The problem with the decks I saw against pure scum was that they simply didn't have enough blast damage. Crow might be 4 but if that happens it's a corrupt official and then it's dead in the ensuring battle. Really though Jedi are extremely blast damage deficient. New Luke has 2, old Luke has 2, and all the other named Jedi have 1. Red 5/ Crow both have a lot but they have low health and won't survive the battle a lot of the time because they can't be protected beyond a shield from the Guardians. Tactics icons weren't really a huge issue for the decks I saw, they simply didn't have the long term blast damage needed to overcome such large damage objectives. A single Black Sun HeadHunter was often enough to stop all damage to the objectives against most of the Jedi units. Targeted Strike really didn't mean a whole lot against the Scum as they generally seemed to send most of their guys into the battle. The deck can really field a lot of units very cheaply and effectively. I saw quite a few decks running Zuckuss as well, Containment Field was huge against Jedi as was being able to combo Springing the Ambush with Relentless Pursuit.

One thing I saw was that New Yoda early on, is god drat amazing. Multiple Games I saw people play him with "Yoda, You Seek Yoda" on the DS first turn draw back up, follow it up with a Guardian of Peace on their turn and swing. With 3 tactics icons he'd easily start a lock down of characters on the enemy side, and then speeder bike would come out and it just spiraled from there. While I didn't like the objective set initially, watching people use it to drop multiple Jedi a turn with 2 out was pretty impressive as well. I'm definitely changing my stance on that pod after seeing it in use, it's pretty good.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

I am thinking about a variant of my Rebel vehicles deck:

2 Hoth Ops
1 Blue Squadron
2 The Rebel Fleet
1 Commando Raid
1 Commando Operations
1 Hit and Run
2 The Defense of Yavin 4

Tons of fate with ships with tons of blast. Main problem is resources, 4 Hidden Outosts can sometimes never come up.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

PaybackJack posted:

The problem with the decks I saw against pure scum was that they simply didn't have enough blast damage. Crow might be 4 but if that happens it's a corrupt official and then it's dead in the ensuring battle. Really though Jedi are extremely blast damage deficient. New Luke has 2, old Luke has 2, and all the other named Jedi have 1. Red 5/ Crow both have a lot but they have low health and won't survive the battle a lot of the time because they can't be protected beyond a shield from the Guardians. Tactics icons weren't really a huge issue for the decks I saw, they simply didn't have the long term blast damage needed to overcome such large damage objectives. A single Black Sun HeadHunter was often enough to stop all damage to the objectives against most of the Jedi units. Targeted Strike really didn't mean a whole lot against the Scum as they generally seemed to send most of their guys into the battle. The deck can really field a lot of units very cheaply and effectively. I saw quite a few decks running Zuckuss as well, Containment Field was huge against Jedi as was being able to combo Springing the Ambush with Relentless Pursuit.

One thing I saw was that New Yoda early on, is god drat amazing. Multiple Games I saw people play him with "Yoda, You Seek Yoda" on the DS first turn draw back up, follow it up with a Guardian of Peace on their turn and swing. With 3 tactics icons he'd easily start a lock down of characters on the enemy side, and then speeder bike would come out and it just spiraled from there. While I didn't like the objective set initially, watching people use it to drop multiple Jedi a turn with 2 out was pretty impressive as well. I'm definitely changing my stance on that pod after seeing it in use, it's pretty good.

Objective damage has always been Jedi's weakness, but I've found, between what they do have and the Moldy Crow, they put out enough. It just requires careful manipulation of combats, which is what I feel Jedi excel at. I'm almost never going to attack with the Moldy Crow if there's enough defenders to kill it. Its ability to negate Shielding and Protect is almost as valuable as its objective damage, and I'm going to want to keep it alive. Yoda, Luke, and especially Obi-Wan are well suited to taking out the defenders so the Moldy Crow has room to strike. Even if its damage is prevented by a Corrupt Official, that probably means I had a stronger edge hand, keeping Obi-Wan/Luke/Yoda alive, the lack of defenders keeps the Moldy Crow alive, and I've still done one damage. As long as I can keep the Force, I'm usually happy to spread out the damage I do over several turns. While the combo from The Findsman's Intuition is always annoying, Following Fate has been a good deterrent, and my opponent spends half his hand on it, so I'm happy to be more likely to win the Edge.

The Master's Domain is wonderful in Mono-Jedi. The sheer number of focus tokens Yoda can put on the board, the extra commitment to the Force from Yoda's Hut, the extra resources for getting a good start, and the extra defensive stuff are all just what Jedi wants. Friend of mine got that Yoda out on the board with a Trust Your Feelings, and proceeded to completely lock down my board for the rest of the game. Good stuff.

alg posted:

2 Hoth Ops
1 Blue Squadron
2 The Rebel Fleet
1 Commando Raid
1 Commando Operations
1 Hit and Run
2 The Defense of Yavin 4

Tons of fate with ships with tons of blast. Main problem is resources, 4 Hidden Outosts can sometimes never come up.

Neat! I don't think you'll have too much of a problem with resources, since you have General Crix Madine, The Defense of Yavin 4 and the Rebel Commandos in addition to the Hidden Outposts. I might swap out the Blue Squadron Support for another Commando Operations though, as that will give you extra fuel for your fate card shenanigans. I posted something similar earlier, but I used A Journey to Dagobah instead of The Defense of Yavin 4 for the extra copies of Target of Opportunity (8 total!) and the resources from R2-D2. Double Strike might even be helpful on all the Commandos. Forward Reconnaissance is also an option, giving you the Rebel Force Struggle resource, Twist of Fate, and Tactics on Jan Ors.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

I've been hosed over too many times by dual commando ops draws :(

Edit: I used to run Journey to Dagobah, too. Its a toss up :/

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
So I was playing with Lichtenstein today, and I wanted to make an Imperial Navy capital ship deck.

Now, I was well aware that going all in with capital ships is a recipe for disaster. Normally I picked up some infantry to help - Ultimate Power or whatever that set with Motti was called. Today, I wanted to try out fighters in that role. So, aside from my complement of Devastators, Imperial I-Class Star Destroyers and the Death Squadron, I rolled up some Defence Protocols and a single pod of Superior Numbers - TIE Scouts and Precision Flying are handy, but drat oh drat is the Escort Carrier vicious, and it's a Capital Ship to boot! I didn't even realise how good that set was - I would have taken two if I had known.

So I was left with two pods.

"Pick up Darth Vader's TIE Advanced", said Lichtenstein. But I didn't want to do that, that was a fairly obvious choice, which I didn't want, and I didn't want to give up on Imperial Navy ID, because I wanted to keep Superior Numbers.

Neutrals didn't exactly take me in either. And as I was browsing the cards, I noticed something that was silly enough I had to try it.

2xDeath and Despayre
2xDefence Protocol
2xDeploy The Fleet
1xImperial Blockade
1xSuperior Numbers
2xThe Tatooine Crash

...wait, what?

Tatooine Crash is, in my opinion, an extremely powerful objective. Grabbing a bunch of stuff that your opponent now can't use is a very nice thing. But I wouldn't be able to reliably use the Scum cards that came with the set, right?

Wrong.

The set has 2 Jawa Scavengers, which are free, a neutral Sandcrawler, and a Twist of Fate. The one card I can't use is Uttini!, which has 2 force icons and at worst makes for something nice to burn on getting the edge. Sandcrawler meant some extra shielding when I wanted it, and if I could force the Light Side to kill it on their turn, odds were that would give my capital ships free reign on my turn.

Reality was, naturally, much worse than that. The Sandcrawler was pretty much the only thing that actually worked. As the Navy, I couldn't reliably win edge battles, so Scavengers were more or less useless (although after the first lost edge I could just burn them in any subsequent attack, I guess), I mostly used them to steal the Force without really committing to it.

I stole one Dagobah Training Grounds with Uttini!, which I thought was hilarious. I could have picked Trust Your Feelings, though. It didn't make a difference anyway.

In retrospect, I should have just picked up the second Superior Numbers and a Reconnaissance Mission. But that would have been significantly less silly.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

Tevery Best posted:

Imperial Navy Capital Ship testing

Nice idea, though I'm sad it didn't work out. Personally, I think Victory or Death is very important for a Capital Ship deck, as it provides much needed Force Icons for winning the edge and taking the Force. I was also fond of using Unstoppable Advance for the Orbital Resupply Stations, and Endless Reserves to smooth the cost curve. I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss Black Squadron Assault, even without the Sith Affiliation. While you won't always be able to play Vader's TIE Advance (and I'm On the Leader, but who cares about that), you can still bring it out with the Escort Carrier, or use it for the Edge. The TIE Advanced and Black Pilot are both neutral and pretty useful, especially if you can get the Pilot on a TIE Attack Squadron. Another Target of Opportunity is always helpful, too.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Somewhat related I was thinking that "The Best That Credits Can Buy" was a pretty weak set at the moment. It felt right away like something that was ahead of the piloting mechanic next cycle. However I decided to tinker a bit and came up with this:

2x Defense Protocol
2x All Out Brawl
2x The Best That Credits Can Buy
2x Superior Numbers
1x Mercenary Support
1x Reconnaissance Mission

The idea was to make the Virago useful. In this case either by giving it Targeted Strike from the Tie Fighter Attack Squadron or allowing it to steal Edge 2 from another unit with Precision Flying. All Out Brawl is there to enhance the ability of your Targeted Strike and combos well with the Trandoshan Security Team.

So with Talon Roll and Rise of the Black Sun, you should be able to keep ahead of Jedi decks and knock their Jedi off the board because Jedi shouldn't be able to wreck you too hard on their attack. Goldfishing the deck is low resources, having only the 2 debt collectors from AOB. However if you can get Escort Carriers out then you can replay the Virago or Black Sun Headhunters from your discard which makes defending quite a bit easier. You'll never have the resources to play A Price on Their Heads but that's ok because it's probably better as a 1 card edge battle winner.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Trip report: Virago still kind a dead card but as a target to recur with the Escort Carrier it wasn't bad. The real damage was from the Headhunters though. Tossing edge 2 on a pair of Headhunters turned them into death machines when there was an All Out Brawl on the table. Because the headhunters have the upkeep it prevented them from being locked down with tactics if Escort Carrier was around. Having 4 cards that would remove focus from them was also pretty sweet. They worked well with Mercenary Support as well because they could get dropped in with the objective, deal their damage, die then get brought back with the Carriers. Unfortunately the deck really lacked in resources and that hurt at times because I had to choose between blowing up enemy objectives and saying resources to use the Virago, honestly I think a once per turn cap on it would have been much better than making it cost a Scum resource but what's done is done. It's not a great card and there's just not a whole lot you can do about that. Elite would have been nice since it's a 3 force icon unit but nothing you can do there either. Oh well, I tried.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Fantasy Flight just posted a statement about the port delays and the like, citing the following products as delayed:

• Rogue Squadron cycle for Star Wars™: The Card Game
  • Fly Casual supplement for Edge of the Empire
  • First wave of Imperial Assault Ally Packs and Villain Packs
  • The Lost Realm deluxe expansion for The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game
  • Star Wars: Armada Core Set
  • Star Wars: Armada Dice Pack

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013
Time for our Store Championship on Sunday! I think I've finalized the decks I'll be taking:

Objective: (10)
2x A Hero's Journey (Core 1-1)
1x The Secret of Yavin 4 (Core 5-1)
2x Self Preservation (A Dark Time 48-1)
1x Heroes and Legends (Heroes and Legends 97-1)
2x The Master’s Domain (Between the Shadows 128-1)
2x Following Fate (Between the Shadows 129-1)

As much as I like The Flight of the Crow, the extra Force Users from Self Preservation have been a real boon to the deck, as it gives me a lot more targets for Noble Sacrifice and Obi-Wan Kenobi's reaction, as well as the various enhancements. The Jedi's Resolve opens opportunities for swinging with the Gotal Outcasts, as well. I've also decided to stick with A Hero's Journey. I like the set's flexibility, compared to A Hero's Trial. I missed Heat of Battle, but using Self Preservation has fixed that problem, too. Once I get the alt-art Obi-Wan, I think I'll try experimenting with Forgotten Heroes again. Jedi Mind Trick is so nice.

Objective: (10)
2x The Bespin Exchange (Core 33-1)
1x Carbonite Transport (Edge of Darkness 84-1)
2x Trandoshan Terror (Edge of Darkness 85-1)
2x Masterful Manipulation (Between the Shadows 135-1)
1x The Best That Credits Can Buy (Between the Shadows 137-1)
2x The Hunters (Between the Shadows 138-1)

Yup, that's The Bespin Exchange in there! I've been leaning towards more aggressive play for my Dark Side, and the Outer Rim Hunters are fantastic for that job. Between Snoova, Bossk, Bounty, and, of course, Boba Fett, I've gotten a lot of mileage out of Bounty Collection and The Bespin Exchange's reaction. Getting more dial ticks out of Boushh is also great. Carbonite Transport also lets me use those captured cards aggressively, and while Tractor Beam isn't too useful, I like having more three force icon cards for the edge. I was using Lucrative Contract, but I felt I needed more units that I would actually play. Explosive Charge was almost always useless, too. I think I'll revisit it after Store Championships, though.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Bespin Exchange is one of those sets that I wish they could go back and errata. Giving Boba Fett an additional damage capacity would have made him a million times better. And rewording the Exchange itself to just be capture a card, would have made it a lot better as well and would have allowed it to fit into more decks. Trandoshan Terror looks to be there just for Bossk. Honestly I'd probably swap out Carbonite Transport and TBTCCB for x2 Jabba's Reach. Pretty much every card in that set slots into yours and there's a lot of Bountys there for Jabba to use. Reversal of Fate is great and you should have the resource for it most of the time. Please Barge gives you a decent hitter to compliment your others but also allows you to keep those better units open for attacking. TBTCCB is really only giving you another Headhunter and Rise of the Black Sun x3.

I was experimenting with this type of deck for a while. It's great against aggressive Jedi until they realize that they can actually go defensive, sit on the force and destroy you on defense while they build a better army and tick down your objectives with the LS balance clock.

Anyway, good luck in your rounds and may the force be with you. Look forward to reading your trip report.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

PaybackJack posted:

Bespin Exchange is one of those sets that I wish they could go back and errata. Giving Boba Fett an additional damage capacity would have made him a million times better. And rewording the Exchange itself to just be capture a card, would have made it a lot better as well and would have allowed it to fit into more decks. Trandoshan Terror looks to be there just for Bossk. Honestly I'd probably swap out Carbonite Transport and TBTCCB for x2 Jabba's Reach. Pretty much every card in that set slots into yours and there's a lot of Bountys there for Jabba to use. Reversal of Fate is great and you should have the resource for it most of the time. Please Barge gives you a decent hitter to compliment your others but also allows you to keep those better units open for attacking. TBTCCB is really only giving you another Headhunter and Rise of the Black Sun x3.

I was experimenting with this type of deck for a while. It's great against aggressive Jedi until they realize that they can actually go defensive, sit on the force and destroy you on defense while they build a better army and tick down your objectives with the LS balance clock.

Anyway, good luck in your rounds and may the force be with you. Look forward to reading your trip report.

Haha, yeah. Poor Boba Fett. A protector would have been nice, but I've found The Prince's Scheme to be pretty good for winning the Edge and keeping him alive. Someday I'll put Mandalorian Armour on the new Boba Fett and it will be fantastic. I'm hoping we'll see a few more capture from play effects to really make it work. As for The Trandoshan Terror, Bossk is the star, yeah, but I've been getting a surprising amount of mileage out of the Trandoshan Hunters. They're basically Heavy Stormtrooper Squads, and I even get to use their ability occasionally! drat Wookies. I've been contemplating using Jabba's Reach for a while now; that was always a staple of my Scum decks before Between the Shadows. I haven't used it so far, in part, because I don't want too many five cost units in the deck. Mostly, though, I don't want Jabba the Hutt in my Black Sun deck :( Still, I think you're right and it will add a lot to the deck. I think I'll take out Carbonite Transport and one The Bespin Exchange to make room. I'd rather not take out The Best That Credits Can Buy, as I really like having the third Black Sun Headhunter for consistency and having more explosive combats with Show of Force. I'm usually happy to see the Virago's three Force icons, too, whether for the edge, or as a cheap(ish) unit to commit to the Force. Still, The Bespin Exchange suffers with only one copy so maybe I can get some testing in before Sunday. Damnit, I was trying to avoid last minute changes!

Thanks for the advice!

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Taran_Wanderer posted:

Haha, yeah. Poor Boba Fett. A protector would have been nice, but I've found The Prince's Scheme to be pretty good for winning the Edge and keeping him alive. Someday I'll put Mandalorian Armour on the new Boba Fett and it will be fantastic. I'm hoping we'll see a few more capture from play effects to really make it work. As for The Trandoshan Terror, Bossk is the star, yeah, but I've been getting a surprising amount of mileage out of the Trandoshan Hunters. They're basically Heavy Stormtrooper Squads, and I even get to use their ability occasionally! drat Wookies. I've been contemplating using Jabba's Reach for a while now; that was always a staple of my Scum decks before Between the Shadows. I haven't used it so far, in part, because I don't want too many five cost units in the deck. Mostly, though, I don't want Jabba the Hutt in my Black Sun deck :( Still, I think you're right and it will add a lot to the deck. I think I'll take out Carbonite Transport and one The Bespin Exchange to make room. I'd rather not take out The Best That Credits Can Buy, as I really like having the third Black Sun Headhunter for consistency and having more explosive combats with Show of Force. I'm usually happy to see the Virago's three Force icons, too, whether for the edge, or as a cheap(ish) unit to commit to the Force. Still, The Bespin Exchange suffers with only one copy so maybe I can get some testing in before Sunday. Damnit, I was trying to avoid last minute changes!

Thanks for the advice!

I don't disagree about the headhunter. If there's something I've learned from the new stuff its that the headhunter is for real. Virago is almost there and really for its stat line and DC it is, but it just never quite performs as well as I hope it would, despite of some good rulings in its favor. Those headhunters are drat good though.

Also I should say that even if Boba v1 had 1 more life the rest of his set is pretty bad in my eyes so that wouldn't save him.

I'm futzing around with the Trooper deck now and already I'm wishing I had an In You Must Go objective for Navy.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
I'm going to my first tournament in two weeks, and while I have a fairly good idea on what do I want to bring as my light side (rebel commando/wookie bounce deck updated with the BtS Rebel set), I'm sort of stumped on what to do with the dark side. I prefer control/disruption style and while I'd like to avoid the holy-trinity-sith just because, all of my casual S&V decks felt more like funhaving gimmicks, rather than competitive decks.

So, basically, do you guys have some ideas for a DS deck that's both sorta competitive and feels like griefing your opponent? I'm not looking to netdeck the entire thing, but rather get a proven core idea I could riff on.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Lichtenstein posted:

I'm going to my first tournament in two weeks, and while I have a fairly good idea on what do I want to bring as my light side (rebel commando/wookie bounce deck updated with the BtS Rebel set), I'm sort of stumped on what to do with the dark side. I prefer control/disruption style and while I'd like to avoid the holy-trinity-sith just because, all of my casual S&V decks felt more like funhaving gimmicks, rather than competitive decks.

So, basically, do you guys have some ideas for a DS deck that's both sorta competitive and feels like griefing your opponent? I'm not looking to netdeck the entire thing, but rather get a proven core idea I could riff on.

I guess I didn't post my list from the DS deck I ran at Store Champs but it was:

Sith Affiliation

2x Emperor's Web
2x Plan of the Prophetess
2x All Out Brawl
2x Tatooine Crash
2x The Slave Trade

The deck is major control. It likes to sit on the force and do nothing most turns. It has a ton of resources and the Slavers shoot through the deck asap. The trick of the deck is to drop Zekka Thyne and kill him with Force Lightning or Deadly Sight, or alternately just put him in positions where your opponent has to kill him not too hard with All Out Brawl or two on the table. It worked well but I ran into a lot of C3P0 at the Singapore regionals which made the combo more difficult to pull off. However there are a ton of tactics icons in the deck and lots of cheap units to drop. It has good edge icons and you should be able to keep the force as well through offensive tactics icons.

If you don't like the combo, you can swap affiliation to Scum and add Cruel Interrogations instead of All Out Brawl. Personally I like keeping the affiliation Sith because while Plan of the Prophetess is fine, I almost never want to see Emperor's Web.; however Interrogation is a great card against Jedi as often I catch them with a big Jedi unit in hand and nothing else which can effectively cripple them for a turn. If you want to swap into something else Scum, Jabba's Orders is solid as it has a lot of playable cards and as most Jedi are using Heroes and Legends you can get a lot of use out of Get Me Solo. Jabba's Reach also slots in nicely as you have so many resources you can afford an expensive unit and the Barge gives you a decent attacker with two stars.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Feb 23, 2015

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Thanks a lot! This looks quite a lot like the stuff I like to play. I think I'd like to sneak in Findsman's intuition in there somehow, to solidify the Force Struggle. I think I'll either try this style, or see if the new BtS toys made Scum's capture game meaner enough.

As for the LS, my rough, not really tested in its current form, deck is:

S&S Affiliation

2x Wookie Life Debt
2x Wookie's Journey
2x Forward Recon
1x Commando Raid
1x Fleeing the Empire
1x Commando Operations
1x Hit and Run

The reasoning being:
- Wookies add the necessary punch, tank damage and bounce to hand to reset damage, when needed. With wookie life debt out, you abuse Chewie and friends by leaving everyone at 1 HP and bounce when able.
- Lots of cards to profit from units dying and/or getting bounced.
- Leia is awesome, there's lots of ways to get rid of her, there's both targets and extra profits for using you're my only hope.
- Four twists of fate, gently caress you.
- Nine other fate cards for general fuckery and utility. With all the buffs the deck has for their use, they're supposed to provide my turn-to-turn disruption capability.

Any thoughts?

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Lichtenstein posted:

Thanks a lot! This looks quite a lot like the stuff I like to play. I think I'd like to sneak in Findsman's intuition in there somehow, to solidify the Force Struggle. I think I'll either try this style, or see if the new BtS toys made Scum's capture game meaner enough.

As for the LS, my rough, not really tested in its current form, deck is:

S&S Affiliation

2x Wookie Life Debt
2x Wookie's Journey
2x Forward Recon
1x Commando Raid
1x Fleeing the Empire
1x Commando Operations
1x Hit and Run

The reasoning being:
- Wookies add the necessary punch, tank damage and bounce to hand to reset damage, when needed. With wookie life debt out, you abuse Chewie and friends by leaving everyone at 1 HP and bounce when able.
- Lots of cards to profit from units dying and/or getting bounced.
- Leia is awesome, there's lots of ways to get rid of her, there's both targets and extra profits for using you're my only hope.
- Four twists of fate, gently caress you.
- Nine other fate cards for general fuckery and utility. With all the buffs the deck has for their use, they're supposed to provide my turn-to-turn disruption capability.

Any thoughts?

My friend was using a similar deck and I suggested Trust Me instead of Wookie's Journey. While the WJ has some nice stuff to add on top of WJ, Trust Me is an objective you want to flip while WJ is not. On top of that there's only a single not great card in WJ and in the current environment, Sabotage is actually playable. Basically if you don't flip Wookie Life Debt you need to flip something good and Trust Me fits that bill.

Another option would be Asteroid Sanctuary, another set which doesn't even have a bad card to speak of. Since all your big hitters are characters there's a lot of targets for Bamboozled, Cloud City Operative, and the Falcon itself. Since your deck is going to be fairly aggressive, the objective itself can be excellent early game card advantage against decks that rely on playing single large units.

The biggest problem with Wookies is that if you don't flip Wookie' Life Debt, your wookies are pretty much garbage, particularly the ones that come out of WJ. Heart of a Wookie basically is a 1 target card in Chewbacca, you don't really want to commit your Wookies to the force and Faithful Companion is the wrong kind of resource generation in my book 2/1. I much prefer 1/1 or 2/2. Echoes doesn't do a whole lot for you, certainly not as much as you'd get out of another Target of Opportunity or Twist of Fate.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

I think you're selling the wookiees a bit short. Lowhhrick's ability gives them decent objective damage (which this deck really kinda lacks otherwise), and can hold force just fine. Loyal wookiees wil probably get into play for free in this deck and are pretty awesome for a freebie. Having said that, I am a bit concerned with reliance on flipping the wookie life debt. I'll have to do some stress tests without it, and probably prepare some plan B anyway.

I thought Dash Rendar could maybe work here, since I'll be dumping a lot of fate cards from the hand anyway. Not sure how to finish the entire thing then, though. Without wookiees I'd probably ditch the bounce gimmick and concentrate on synergies with the commandos. Perhaps Last Defense of Hoth could work, for both another objective damage source and a way to topdeck the fate cards so that they clog the hand less?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alg
Mar 14, 2007

alg posted:

2 Hoth Ops
1 Blue Squadron
2 The Rebel Fleet
1 Commando Raid
1 Commando Operations
1 Hit and Run
2 The Defense of Yavin 4

Played this deck and the Paybackjack's Scum/Sith deck at my SC. Won every game as Dark Side except 1, where I somehow...got the False Report flipped on me because I'm an idiot who attacks dumb objectives

Light Side I only won one game on a fluke with. I just don't think Commando * are good sets :/ I could blow up 1 or 2 objectives but it was just too easy to lock me down.

Running something Jedi this weekend for the second SC.

• Locked thread