Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Gorilla Salad posted:

You know how, in horror movies, if you hold a crucifix up to a vampire it flinches away with its hands over its face? That's me every time I see one of those [Fiat Multiplas].
I went to Italy last summer and found that they actually look a lot better (or at least easier to ignore) in a real setting than photographed on their own. There's not a lot of people-haulers here either that stand up to extended scrutiny.

Although the first thing I saw once I got off the train in Milan was a Lancia Voyager (Dodge Caravan) and a dealership advertising that they had the turbo diesel PT Cruiser in stock!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Huggable Bear King posted:

Well Chrysler years are like dog years, so most of them should be off the road by 2020.

If the Morris Marina has a fan club, you can bet the PT will too.

Thousands of fans world wide, lovingly restoring and preserving their "iconic" cars.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I predict by 2040 there will be a post on the internet about someone's epic barn find.. a completely stock 2001 with only surface rust!

Actually it was in the driveway up to the barn, because the transmission gave out and the owner just left it there.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Throatwarbler posted:

I guess I get what you mean about BOF vehicles being space inefficient, but that's just a strange example.

Appropos of nothing, I recently rode in the back of a VW Tiguan and I couldn't loving sit straight without my head hitting the ceiling. I'm 5'8". v:confused:v

The back seats didn't recline or anything, so apparently the Tiguan is a much less spacious vehicle than the Golf, why would anyone buy it?

I was surprised when I went from my mk4 GLI to the MK6 Golf with how big it is inside. There's a Tiguan that parks outside my window and we always joke about how it's just a lifted Golf.

As to straight cut timing gears, is there any actual benefit over regular timing gears? Seems like every air cooled engine these days has them instead of the nice quiet gears.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!

veedubfreak posted:

I was surprised when I went from my mk4 GLI to the MK6 Golf with how big it is inside. There's a Tiguan that parks outside my window and we always joke about how it's just a lifted Golf.

As to straight cut timing gears, is there any actual benefit over regular timing gears? Seems like every air cooled engine these days has them instead of the nice quiet gears.

I always thought those gear drives were some sort of redneck ricer thing to make it sound like it's got a blower.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

veedubfreak posted:

Straight cut gears don't generate thrust loading, so you can put them on any camshaft that has plain bearings.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

My old International and my buddys Ford flahead both have timing gears and they dont make any noise. I think those aftermarket ones that sound like blowers are cut to make sound on purpose.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

veedubfreak posted:

For racing purposes, they have less lash than even a double-roller timing chain. Stronger, more reliable, basically, with the noise as a tradeoff. They can be made helical, or at least angled, so they don't make quite as much noise, but the noise is a desired racy-sounding thing. One of the brands I once looked at makes a quiet version, and a noisy version.

edit:

Fart Pipe posted:

My old International and my buddys Ford flahead both have timing gears and they dont make any noise. I think those aftermarket ones that sound like blowers are cut to make sound on purpose.

Pretty much. It sounds cool, for varying values of cool.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Warrior Princess posted:

I like the one in my ranger. :3:

Yeah... I have to admit my Sport Trac towed 10,000 lbs of trailer from Long, Island NY to VA without an issue.
I can't complain.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Yeah... I have to admit my Sport Trac towed 10,000 lbs of trailer from Long, Island NY to VA without an issue.
I can't complain.

Jesus. That's 2x the rating of my 4Runner. Hope you had a trailer brake at least.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Fart Pipe posted:

They're likely helical cut like the ones on my 345, you know that helical gears are pretty quiet versus straight cut. The ones for Chevy's that I've seen are pairs of straight cut gears that hold between the cam and crank gears. A cursory check at JEGS shows some that are made in a 'quieter' and 'louder' formation, but both straight cut gears and will be noisy. I wonder why there aren't any helical cut sets, perhaps the geometry doesn't work?

http://www.jegs.com/p/JEGS-Performance-Products/JEGS-Performance-Gear-Drives/755534/10002/-1

oh what do you know someone beat me to it.

One Day Fish Sale
Aug 28, 2009

Grimey Drawer

gently caress. I somehow did that while changing the oil on my tractor (suspect pinched internal valve cover gasket), and it crushed my spirit so much I let it sit there for a couple of months. That is some serious pain in the rear end. I hope it happened while parts were not in motion.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

StormDrain posted:

They're likely helical cut like the ones on my 345, you know that helical gears are pretty quiet versus straight cut. The ones for Chevy's that I've seen are pairs of straight cut gears that hold between the cam and crank gears. A cursory check at JEGS shows some that are made in a 'quieter' and 'louder' formation, but both straight cut gears and will be noisy. I wonder why there aren't any helical cut sets, perhaps the geometry doesn't work?

http://www.jegs.com/p/JEGS-Performance-Products/JEGS-Performance-Gear-Drives/755534/10002/-1

oh what do you know someone beat me to it.

Yea I think they are. However the gears in my transmission are straight cut and make plenty of noise, haha.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Viffer or something more expensive?

Straight cut gearchat reminds me of my NC30. A gear driven V4 that could spin to 14k. It sounded magical :allears:

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

Do we have to play "Blood or Transmission Fluid" again?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
With helical cut don't you just need a thrust bearing to keep the cam from going walkabout? I know on 4.0s they put a thrust peg in the end toward the timing cover that is pressurized by an oil galley in the cam, keeping the cam forced toward the back of the motor, where it spins against a thrust bearing.

e: that sure looks like ATF to me, unless 14" has been shooting up with antiseize (again.)

Warrior Princess posted:

My love comes from it being the only vehicle I've ever owned and I've had no problems with it for 120k miles / 10 years. It does get just under 21mpg though, but it's the 2wd xlt automatic.

I just do not know anything better :v:

Not bad, in fact that's a hell of a lot better than the crap can I bought as my first car :v:

... and the second through seventh too.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

Maxwells Demon posted:

Do we have to play "Blood or Transmission Fluid" again?

Why does it have to be one or the other? :v:

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
68 camaro, guy had a reman with a bad batch of amulite causing the modial phase detractors to fall out of alignment with the sperving bearing.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

OFFICER 13 INCH posted:

68 camaro, guy had a reman with a bad batch of amulite causing the modial phase detractors to fall out of alignment with the sperving bearing.

He needs to re-calibrate his barascent skor module, he probably had the diractence up too high. It's a common problem.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Memento posted:

He needs to re-calibrate his barascent skor module, he probably had the diractence up too high. It's a common problem.

While he's at it he should probably check the tension on the differential girdle spring, it's probably way out of spec now.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

kastein posted:

With helical cut don't you just need a thrust bearing to keep the cam from going walkabout? I know on 4.0s they put a thrust peg in the end toward the timing cover that is pressurized by an oil galley in the cam, keeping the cam forced toward the back of the motor, where it spins against a thrust bearing.

Interesting, I haven't been deeper than the valve train in mine but that all makes sense. Also explains why you can't buy a helical aftermarket gearset for a small block Chevy.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Slavvy posted:

Viffer or something more expensive?

Straight cut gearchat reminds me of my NC30. A gear driven V4 that could spin to 14k. It sounded magical :allears:

looks like a VFR750.

The NC30 is amazing and is my #1 most desired bike at the moment.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Does that transmission provide inverse reactive current for use in unilateral phase detractors? I know it's capable of automatically synchronizing cardinal grammeters, though. You can tell from the blood.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Terrible Robot posted:

While he's at it he should probably check the tension on the differential girdle spring, it's probably way out of spec now.

My last girlfriend had this same problem.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Terrible Robot posted:

I once got hosed by a girdle spring.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

kastein posted:

e: that sure looks like ATF to me, unless 14" has been shooting up with antiseize (again.)

Not bad, in fact that's a hell of a lot better than the crap can I bought as my first car :v:

... and the second through seventh too.

Herringbone gears don't push sideways like helical gears, but they aren't as simple to make.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

looks like a VFR750.

The NC30 is amazing and is my #1 most desired bike at the moment.

Don't get one, you'll be desperately disappointed by how heavy it is and how lacking the top-end is. Also it has a hilarious first gear that gets you up to 100km/h, which is great for stringing together low speed corners but not so great for hill starts or riding slowly.

Great handling and sound though, especially if you take the retarded toilet-pipe out of the exhaust. Mine had a header-back system and it sounded/went noticeably better than factory ones.

Also, 18" rear wheel so you're limited to battleax or shinko on the rear, unless you stump up the better part of a grand for a 17" rear wheel from an NC35

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

SperginMcBadposter posted:

Herringbone gears don't push sideways like helical gears, but they aren't as simple to make.

This actually was part of the reason that the Panther tank had so many mechanical issues: Because Allied bombing had destroyed the machining equipment needed to make the more reliable gearing for the final drive.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Powershift posted:

Don't worry, it will be dead soon.

then you can open up the speedometer so the bug can fly away.

This is why I love AI

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

CommieGIR posted:

This actually was part of the reason that the Panther tank had so many mechanical issues: Because Allied bombing had destroyed the machining equipment needed to make the more reliable gearing for the final drive.

I think I spend too much time in the WoT thread - panther vs tiger II final drives were the first thing I thought of too.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

SperginMcBadposter posted:

This is also the source of the Citron logo.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

ReelBigLizard posted:

If the Morris Marina has a fan club, you can bet the PT will too.

Thousands of fans world wide, lovingly restoring and preserving their "iconic" cars.

The pt has a fan club.. there was a yearly meeting with a LOT (600+) of them in niagara falls Ontario... for whatever reason I always ran into the meeting each of the 2 years I waited to turn 21. No matter what these people did to them they were ugly.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
PT Cruisers are the gingivitis of the car world.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Their name comes from PT Barnum because a sucker is born every minute and they buy PT cruisers

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

rscott posted:

Their name comes from PT Barnum because a sucker is born every minute and they buy PT cruisers

I audibly giggled.

bolind posted:

This is also the source of the Citron logo.

Chevron as well. And the name Chevron.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

PT Cruisers are actually the best retro themed cars because they're the only one that manages to capture the experience of owning an older classic car by constantly breaking down.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Slavvy posted:

Don't get one, you'll be desperately disappointed by how heavy it is and how lacking the top-end is. Also it has a hilarious first gear that gets you up to 100km/h, which is great for stringing together low speed corners but not so great for hill starts or riding slowly.

Great handling and sound though, especially if you take the retarded toilet-pipe out of the exhaust. Mine had a header-back system and it sounded/went noticeably better than factory ones.

Also, 18" rear wheel so you're limited to battleax or shinko on the rear, unless you stump up the better part of a grand for a 17" rear wheel from an NC35

welp, thanks for bursting that bubble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

1500quidporsche posted:

PT Cruisers are actually the best retro themed cars because they're the only one that manages to capture the experience of owning an older classic car by constantly breaking down.

To be fair, a properly maintained classic breaks down far less than a Chrysler.