Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AAB
Nov 5, 2010

m.hache posted:

Do it.

Then follow up with how their linguistic skills improve.

I replied letting them know how to do it. Unfortunately I probably won't see any of the resulting masterpieces since she is a gov contractor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

AAB posted:

I replied letting them know how to do it. Unfortunately I probably won't see any of the resulting masterpieces since she is a gov contractor.

I hope she responds with something glorious.

Set a reminder to follow up in a week to prompt a response.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
That's the kind of request I would have deleted without doing anything.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

This is too good. I love it.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Before I worked in an office/help desk, I thought those stress ball things were pretty cliche and no one actually used them.

I've realized that I squeeze the poo poo out of my hockey puck stress ball thingy whenever I'm on the phone with a user :smith:

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Before I worked in an office/help desk, I thought those stress ball things were pretty cliche and no one actually used them.

I've realized that I squeeze the poo poo out of my hockey puck stress ball thingy whenever I'm on the phone with a user :smith:

I use these

http://www.amazon.ca/Prohands-Gripmaster-Hand-Exerciser/dp/B00AYIJDL0

Might as well get an iron grip while I'm at it.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

psydude posted:

I telecommute whenever I'm allowed to because I get 5 times as much work done.

This, and being sick less often because of the inevitably lovely morons that come in with cold/flu/whatever and spread it around the office, which leads to sick days of getting nothing done. I wanted to backhand the idiot that came into work 2 weeks straight with the worst hacking cough I've heard and was losing their voice, even after our boss sent out a mass email telling everyone to stay home if they're sick. Best part? Idiot in question could easily work from home since their position is an account manager and half the work is conference calls and setting up projects and quotes for clients. Meanwhile I catch whatever they had and end up having to trek out to a client site after a snow storm last Sunday because I was on call, had no backup engineer to help and nobody was available on site to power up a couple servers.

I guess my point is, telecommuting is great, sick assholes that don't want to use PTO and spread poo poo around the office are the worst and I wish I could use their PTO for my time off when it happens.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

m.hache posted:

I use these

http://www.amazon.ca/Prohands-Gripmaster-Hand-Exerciser/dp/B00AYIJDL0

Might as well get an iron grip while I'm at it.

Weird question, is there a good device for grip extensors? I read somewhere that if you overtrain grip flexor strength you can aggravate carpal tunnel problems.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Weird question, is there a good device for grip extensors? I read somewhere that if you overtrain grip flexor strength you can aggravate carpal tunnel problems.

Bucket of sand or rice. Put your hand in and open

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Rubber bands of various strengths. Like these, but I imagine you could get something cheaper.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

evol262 posted:

Bucket of sand or rice. Put your hand in and open

You can also do the knife hand strengthening exercises! Make a knife hand and stab the bucket of rice, repeat. Eventually you will have hands of steel!

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out
Oh god. A call came in last night at 9pm. I finish eating my tacos and go to remote in, but the page doesn't load at all. I go to the company's actual internet page, and it doesn't load. I get myself ready for a long night and :f5: while screwing around. Around 2am the page comes up but it won't auth anybody, and about 4:30 I go to bed.

The network comes back up around 6 this morning, but we've missed the entire batch and are still having intermittent network and internet downtime. Root cause still unknown, and jobs with ftp in them are still going down. Oh, and apparently our remote software is wonky and kicking people so I may not be able to troubleshoot our shakey catchup batch that we run tonight from home.

Monday was the first day of my on call week :smithicide:

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

That's the kind of request I would have deleted without doing anything.
I would sent a simple "no" and closed it.

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

You can also do the knife hand strengthening exercises! Make a knife hand and stab the bucket of rice, repeat. Eventually you will have hands of steel!

The first time I read this, I thought you said, 'take a knife in hand and stab the bucket of rice', like for stabbing practice.

I think maybe IT is getting to me.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
I built a Snort server and got it set up and working in a lab environment. Now I get to put in a ticket (e-mail) to the remote network engineer to see if he'll set up port mirroring on the core switch for me!

Though this is the same guy who hasn't set up Guest and Mobile WiFi networks for over a year and can't figure out why network file transfer over the WiFi crashes the host machine so I'm not holding my breath.

vosk
Jul 28, 2005

THE PRODIGOON SON

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

The splattered remains of a stress ball are still stuck to the ceiling above my desk. It's been there for almost a year now.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

pr0digal posted:

I built a Snort server and got it set up and working in a lab environment. Now I get to put in a ticket (e-mail) to the remote network engineer to see if he'll set up port mirroring on the core switch for me!

Though this is the same guy who hasn't set up Guest and Mobile WiFi networks for over a year and can't figure out why network file transfer over the WiFi crashes the host machine so I'm not holding my breath.

Snort? Nah, its all about Bro dude. Get your Bro on and start Broing.

Bro! Doesn't this look like fun! (The bro jokes have become who I am now. You learn to live with it after a while.)

Bro is a bit more hardcore than Snort, I use it for hunting in the network, but Snort is a good start, as long as you don't have a poo poo ton of traffic bandwidth. What are you planning on using? Snorby or Sguil? Did you build Snort standalone, or on top of my favorite distro, Security Onion?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
If we're speaking of bros, I prefer bropages

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

Mustache Ride posted:

Snort? Nah, its all about Bro dude. Get your Bro on and start Broing.

Bro! Doesn't this look like fun! (The bro jokes have become who I am now. You learn to live with it after a while.)

Bro is a bit more hardcore than Snort, I use it for hunting in the network, but Snort is a good start, as long as you don't have a poo poo ton of traffic bandwidth. What are you planning on using? Snorby or Sguil? Did you build Snort standalone, or on top of my favorite distro, Security Onion?

I built it from scratch off Ubuntu 14.04 using a Mac Pro tower I had. It's set up with Barnyard2, PulledPork and BASE as I followed a step by step guide. I also put Dshell (https://github.com/USArmyResearchLab/Dshell) on the system which is a new network forensics framework put out by the Army.

I have another boot drive in the tower so I might as well throw Security Onion on there and start playing around with that!

Babby's first IDS, might as well start somewhere.

pr0digal fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Feb 3, 2015

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Jedi425 posted:

The first time I read this, I thought you said, 'take a knife in hand and stab the bucket of rice', like for stabbing practice.

I think maybe IT is getting to me.

Rice is non-ideal for this. If you want stabbing practice, use a watermelon; the rind has very nearly the same resistance as human skin over flesh.

:eng101:

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Eldercain posted:

I finish eating my tacos and go to remote in

This is my favorite part of this story. For some reason it conveys such an ennui over the situation. I immediately flashed to the scene in Pulp Fiction where Lance gives the phone this look of sublime irritation for interrupting his cereal-and-milk feast.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Volmarias posted:

I force myself to go into work, because I get about 5 minutes of it done working from home. Working from home would be great if I could actually manage to stay on track.

I tried working from home today for the first time. It was ridiculously hard to not gently caress about on forums all day and do nothing. I still got the work I had planned done, but I think I actually like the office. I still gently caress about in the office mind, but only with my colleagues, so I get slightly more done.

Hopefully this will get better with time, as i'm also working from home tomorrow. All of my friends are pissed at me for being able to do this, as we had some snow today and it took all of them at least three hours to drive to work.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

m.hache posted:

I really wish there was some law in place where if all public services have been cancelled you shouldn't be expected to drive to work. Our bus system was still running but it had a 45 minute delay which means at any point you could be sitting outside in -20c weather for almost an hour with no shelter (most bus stations are just a sign here).

If this dude can do it, you can do it. Get to the office, wage slave.

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!

dogstile posted:

I tried working from home today for the first time. It was ridiculously hard to not gently caress about on forums all day and do nothing. I still got the work I had planned done, but I think I actually like the office. I still gently caress about in the office mind, but only with my colleagues, so I get slightly more done.

Hopefully this will get better with time, as i'm also working from home tomorrow. All of my friends are pissed at me for being able to do this, as we had some snow today and it took all of them at least three hours to drive to work.

It takes some getting used to, but it's ridiculously fun to work from home often (I've been remote since 2010 with no intention of going back into the office). Walking from your bedroom to the office is awesome.

One thing to be aware of is the need to get out of the house once in a while - go for a walk or whatever. Make sure you're not also working absurdly long hours because you lose track of time.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

In this case, it's more "A job posting came in..." for web development and SEO. Choice quote:

quote:

I personally coach, empower and teach my clients how to heal themselves naturally through nutrition & other holistic methods. As this is my passion I would rather exchange service for service and I would give you the option of gifting it to anyone you may know in need of healing. However if you are not interested I am open to negotiation; at the end of the day I need someone who likes what they do and are reliable and trustworthy.

Yup. He prefers to pay in quack medicine, but if you insist will give you cold hard cash instead.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

taiyoko posted:

In this case, it's more "A job posting came in..." for web development and SEO. Choice quote:

Yup. He prefers to pay in quack medicine, but if you insist will give you cold hard cash instead.

I am pretty sure that isn't legal FYI. If its a for proffit business they have to pay with the greenbacks.

Urit
Oct 22, 2010

taiyoko posted:

"A job posting came in..."

I've got a good one!

quote:

We’re knee-deep in buzzword driven technology, so you’ll fit right in. Time to fleetctl-deploy-the-rebased-git-fork-spec!

Followed later by:

quote:

Guru-level system administration skills across various *NIX flavors;

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

duffmensch posted:

It takes some getting used to, but it's ridiculously fun to work from home often (I've been remote since 2010 with no intention of going back into the office). Walking from your bedroom to the office is awesome.

One thing to be aware of is the need to get out of the house once in a while - go for a walk or whatever. Make sure you're not also working absurdly long hours because you lose track of time.

Been full time telecommuting for two years now. One downside is snow days, no excuse to miss work.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Sickening posted:

I am pretty sure that isn't legal FYI. If its a for proffit business they have to pay with the greenbacks.

You can pay in product but it has to have value equal to at least minimum wage, and wages must be withheld and submitted to tax agencies in dollars.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Nintendo Kid posted:

You can pay in product but it has to have value equal to at least minimum wage, and wages must be withheld and submitted to tax agencies in dollars.

Why can't I pay my taxes with crystal healing magic services?

This is only tangentially related but it's too fun to not share: Normally it's completely forbidden for a lawyer to accept sex as payment for legal services, but if the client is a legal brothel, like in Nevada, it's okay to trade services for services.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

This is only tangentially related but it's too fun to not share: Normally it's completely forbidden for a lawyer to accept sex as payment for legal services, but if the client is a legal brothel, like in Nevada, it's okay to trade services for services.

This last case was a real pain in my rear end, so it's only fair that I get to be a big pain in yours! I figure our time is equally valulable, so I'll be back every week until we're square.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

brb getting law degree

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

Agrikk posted:

This is my favorite part of this story. For some reason it conveys such an ennui over the situation. I immediately flashed to the scene in Pulp Fiction where Lance gives the phone this look of sublime irritation for interrupting his cereal-and-milk feast.

Not far from the truth. My phone doesn't ring unless it's work since texting and young people etc, so whenever it goes off it's a stream of profanity. Usually permutations of "poo poo fucker". I wasn't going to not finish eating before I logged in though.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Agrikk posted:

Nah man, true ennui was me last week when I got a call after hours that some of our services were down.

It took me five minutes of staring blankly at the wall behind my desk to muster up the "care" to turn the vpn on.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
A ticket just came in:

Subject line: "Hello ladies and gentlemen, I would be greatly appreciative if you would come upstairs as soon as possible tomorrow morning and assist me with a sp..."

No body text follows. The subject is too long for our helpdesk app. This is not the first time this happened with this user by far.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Potato Salad posted:

A ticket just came in:

Subject line: "Hello ladies and gentlemen, I would be greatly appreciative if you would come upstairs as soon as possible tomorrow morning and assist me with a sp..."

No body text follows. The subject is too long for our helpdesk app. This is not the first time this happened with this user by far.

Show up with a spork

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

flosofl posted:

Show up with a spork

You. I like you.

I'll update on what happens tomorrow.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

dennyk posted:

Why won't Cygwin cut it? It has all of those tools. I do all my work on a Windows laptop with Cygwin and PuTTY. And yes, you can install Cygwin without admin rights.

I know this is super ultra late, but putty and Cygwin suck rear end. Use MobaXTerm for locked down computers (my current job situation). You can thank me later.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

gfsincere posted:

I know this is super ultra late, but putty and Cygwin suck rear end. Use MobaXTerm for locked down computers (my current job situation). You can thank me later.

Holy cow, I've been using SuperPutty for tabbed putty and mostly gave up Cygwin as poo poo years ago. This looks like something I'd definitely use a lot. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Rhymenoserous posted:

Nah man, true ennui was me last week when I got a call after hours that some of our services were down.

It took me five minutes of staring blankly at the wall behind my desk to muster up the "care" to turn the vpn on.

Many years ago I worked for a lovely and hosed up company (there are multiple candidates for this on my resume). One day I'd called in "sick of" not "sick with". So I'm just sitting on the couch, not being at work. The phone rings. "Oh god, please don't be the office" goes through my brain like poo poo through a goose. I answer. It's Pac Bell telesales. "Would you be interested in our new Caller ID service ?"

I think I blew out her headset shouting "Yes !". No telesales agent has ever had an easier sale. Unless someone's selling booze and broads over the phone anyway.

• Locked thread