Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

A BLOO BLOO ANYONE I DISAGREE WITH IS A "BAD PERSON" WHO DESERVES TO DIE PLEEEASE DONT FALL ALL OVER YOURSELF WHITEWASHING THEM A BLOO BLOO
I dunno, I really liked the writing and story from BL2. I really don't get people saying that they preferred the story from number one, because I sunk a couple hundred hours into the first game and I honestly cannot remember it having any story that couldn't be wrapped up on a half-dirty napkin. Sure, I get that some people didn't like the tone or the style of humour of 2, but at least it had them.

v:shobon:v

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
Playing as Aurelia really highlights how dumb the AI is in this game. The AI will sometimes get caught and wander in patterns if you get too far away or fight in a place with odd geometry. I had 2 stalkers who literally couldn't hit me because I was standing on a rail a meter above their heads, and all they did was run back and forth down a hallway.

Aaronicon posted:

I dunno, I really liked the writing and story from BL2. I really don't get people saying that they preferred the story from number one, because I sunk a couple hundred hours into the first game and I honestly cannot remember it having any story that couldn't be wrapped up on a half-dirty napkin. Sure, I get that some people didn't like the tone or the style of humour of 2, but at least it had them.

Some people like the 1st game simply because it has the least intrusive story.

Dyz fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Feb 3, 2015

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
So I straight up cannot beat TVHM Deadlift. The fight's bad enough the first time around, but he one-shots my shield and I spend a handful of seconds getting perfectly sniped by badass scavs as he wanders around. My best attempt got about 30% of his shield knocked down before he realized I was there, turned around and blew me away, and then danced around behind a wall, leaving me nothing to shoot at for FFYL. The best strategy I can come up with is cheating a homing Tesla grenade into my inventory and just spamming it out before his adds have a chance to spawn- I hear he has practically no health once the shield's down. I remember playing around with a character editor for BL2- is there a similar thing for TPS?

Isaacs Alter Ego
Sep 18, 2007

MrSpiffy posted:

We're gonna have tons of fun - don't worry one bit!

Did you hire him just to take him away from Borderlands?

Thanks for taking one for the team.

Literal Nazi Furry
Jan 27, 2008

Swastika - Helvetica - Ikea
Last night I dreamt of Adolf searching for Anne.
I lay on my back
standing alone in the corner watching the girls dance.

I'm on crystal meth.
I piss in my pants.

Isaacs Alter Ego posted:

Did you hire him just to take him away from Borderlands?

Thanks for taking one for the team.

If TPS should have taught us anything, it's that people trying to imitate Burch's style is the only thing worse than Burch's writing.

I know Burch played a role in TPS's writing, albeit a small one, but goddamn everything about the writing in TPS was annoying. At least the only boss in BL2 that was annoying and wouldn't stop talking was Flynt, who was only at the start of the game. You get annoying assholes Dead Lift, Bosun, and RedBelly throughout most of TPS.

vvv Dead Lift's gimmick is annoying and really goddamn stupid, and not in a fun way even. gently caress redbelly still though.

Literal Nazi Furry fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Feb 3, 2015

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Deadlift and Redbelly are just fine though.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I liked Redbelly, but I'm a sucker for that sort of two-man villain act, like Mr. Wynt and Mr. Kid or Mr. Croup and Mr. Vandemar or Mr. Pin and Mr. Tulip.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I found Deadlift to be inordinately difficult for the time of the game you encounter him. You go from things going swimmingly to just getting rolled and there aren't many side quests that give you a chance to meaningfully level up or find a good shock weapon.

His tendency to bounce all over the drat place while his shield recharges and he lobs homing projectiles at you is some serious bullshit too. Not quite at the level of the Badassasaurus bullet reflection but still up there.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Shifty Pony posted:

I found Deadlift to be inordinately difficult for the time of the game you encounter him. You go from things going swimmingly to just getting rolled and there aren't many side quests that give you a chance to meaningfully level up or find a good shock weapon.

Except for the one that gives you a shock sniper?

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

Pope Guilty posted:

So I straight up cannot beat TVHM Deadlift. The fight's bad enough the first time around, but he one-shots my shield and I spend a handful of seconds getting perfectly sniped by badass scavs as he wanders around. My best attempt got about 30% of his shield knocked down before he realized I was there, turned around and blew me away, and then danced around behind a wall, leaving me nothing to shoot at for FFYL. The best strategy I can come up with is cheating a homing Tesla grenade into my inventory and just spamming it out before his adds have a chance to spawn- I hear he has practically no health once the shield's down. I remember playing around with a character editor for BL2- is there a similar thing for TPS?

Grind shops for a shield with electric immunity and he's hilariously easy.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

MrSpiffy posted:

Would you mind doing us a solid and passing on any stories Burch has about Pitchford and TPS, we need to get some kind of recompense out of buying this. :shobon:

wdarkk posted:

Deadlift and Redbelly are just fine though.

Deadlift and Redbelly both have the advantages of appearing for only twenty to thirty minutes and having competent voice direction, while the Bosun gets over an hour of material that gets progressively worse delivered in a voice that sounds like a screaming rabbit. Which is weird, because Brian Meegan is capable of decent acting.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Father Wendigo posted:

Deadlift and Redbelly both have the advantages of appearing for only twenty to thirty minutes and having competent voice direction, while the Bosun gets over an hour of material that gets progressively worse delivered in a voice that sounds like a screaming rabbit. Which is weird, because Brian Meegan is capable of decent acting.

Yeah nobody is going to defend that. I see what they were going for but expecting anyone to put up with it for an hour is nuts.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
But the Bosun doesn't talk to you for an hour. He talks to you a handful of times for less than thirty seconds a time, which happen to be spread out over an hour or two of gameplay.

I agree RedBelly is a better character though. Those Echo logs in Crisis Scar are excellent.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Pope Guilty posted:

Get in his face and constantly butt slam. Butt slamming will stunlock him, especially when he moves to a machine to electrify the floor. His ai is stupid enough that he will constantly try to electrify the floor and ignore everything else when hes close to one.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

wdarkk posted:

Yeah nobody is going to defend that. I see what they were going for but expecting anyone to put up with it for an hour is nuts.

Remember these are the people who decided to bring back that nakiyama character.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

wdarkk posted:

Except for the one that gives you a shock sniper?

You must be a better shot than me to land enough hits with it.

Dyz posted:

Get in his face and constantly butt slam. Butt slamming will stunlock him, especially when he moves to a machine to electrify the floor. His ai is stupid enough that he will constantly try to electrify the floor and ignore everything else when hes close to one.

Butt slamming is just the best mechanic :allears:

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

Dyz posted:

Remember these are the people who decided to bring back that nakiyama character.
And gave us Davis Pickle. :argh:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Dyz posted:

That's someone who should have been ejected from the airlock with an "aww, that's sweet but we have a policy about workplace relationships with superiors and I'm not planning on going anywhere soooooo.... *foosh*"

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Pope Guilty posted:

Gibbed has a save editor for TPS that is pretty much the same as the one he had for BL2. I've been making heavy use of it because my tolerance for grinding and farming was burned out by over 1000 hours spent in BL2.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

FAUXTON posted:

That's someone who should have been ejected from the airlock with an "aww, that's sweet but we have a policy about workplace relationships with superiors and I'm not planning on going anywhere soooooo.... *foosh*"

I get the feeling Nakayama was too timid to ever approach Jack when he was actually alive.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Dyz posted:

I love Nakayama's voice actor/acting though (he's also the skeleton in One Piece!)

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

mycot posted:

I love Nakayama's voice actor/acting though (he's also the skeleton in One Piece!)

:yohoho:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Genocyber posted:

I get the feeling Nakayama was too timid to ever approach Jack when he was actually alive.

He was like a cat who leaves dead birds on the doorstep as a sign of love but won't ever get within 10 yards of a human.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Cheated myself a shield that was immune to electrocute and suddenly Deadlift can't even seem to hurt me. Thanks for that. :D

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

MrSpiffy posted:

Of course Freddie Wong is a goon.

Aaronicon posted:

I really like Borderlands 2 story and I'm kinda of bummed by some of the stuff from Burch's script that got left on the cutting room floor. Specifically the scene where after Roland's death and you have to go notify people about it. Tina was supposed to be one of the characters you talk to and she's breaks her character for like 30 seconds and breaks down crying. It was a good characterization that would helped her be a little less one dimensional.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Neo Helbeast posted:

Of course Freddie Wong is a goon.

I really like Borderlands 2 story and I'm kinda of bummed by some of the stuff from Burch's script that got left on the cutting room floor. Specifically the scene where after Roland's death and you have to go notify people about it. Tina was supposed to be one of the characters you talk to and she's breaks her character for like 30 seconds and breaks down crying. It was a good characterization that would helped her be a little less one dimensional.

To be fair that basically got kept as the Dragon's Keep DLC.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Rinkles posted:

So Burch is not writing BL3 because... he's leaving gearbox to write a new Freddy Wong production.

https://mobile.twitter.com/reverendanthony/status/561165708139446273

Wondering who will help out, then. They'll probably bring back Mike Neumann in a bigger way.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Plan Z posted:

Wondering who will help out, then. They'll probably bring back Mike Neumann in a bigger way.

They're hiring new people but my money's on Neumann being the lead writer. I'm hardly ever right when it comes to this

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

watho posted:

They're hiring new people but my money's on Neumann being the lead writer. I'm hardly ever right when it comes to this

I wouldn't mind it. He showed steady improvement over the BiA series, and up to Bl1. Not amazing stuff by any standards, but I'm really tired of the current formula of "Wacky thing to say followed by long explanation of the joke."

At the very least, they could get some of the more inspired writing from Tales.

Plan Z fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Feb 7, 2015

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
Does Lady Hammerlock have something tweaked to her drop table? I'm finding all sorts of stuff in the dumpsters around Concordia.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

There should be a legendary "dumpster baby"

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I have a hunch that their hotfix solution for the grinder crash issue was to remove the possibility for it to output a same quality item.

I went from six white and seven green grenades to a purple without using any moonstone at all. Similarly I have not had a gun grind return the same rarity since the hotfix. Am I just getting lucky?

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Shifty Pony posted:

I have a hunch that their hotfix solution for the grinder crash issue was to remove the possibility for it to output a same quality item.

I went from six white and seven green grenades to a purple without using any moonstone at all. Similarly I have not had a gun grind return the same rarity since the hotfix. Am I just getting lucky?

Yes, I've had plenty of same quality grinds, tho I have noticed a higher rate of top results.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

I think I've hosed myself on my Nisha. I've been slightly underleveled since I hit TVHM , but I figured I'd just push on through it and the extra xp would catch me up. As I approach the Drakensberg, however, I find that it's just getting harder and harder because I'm level 30 and fighting level 34 enemies with skulls next to them. I went to do sidequests to catch up, but that only got me to 31 before I ran out of quests that aren't in that big white area outside Concordia that scales apparently with story mission rather than with player level, so it's full of super badasses that one-shot my shield and then my health. Other than finding a suitable map and grinding I have no idea how to catch up.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Pope Guilty posted:

I think I've hosed myself on my Nisha. I've been slightly underleveled since I hit TVHM , but I figured I'd just push on through it and the extra xp would catch me up. As I approach the Drakensberg, however, I find that it's just getting harder and harder because I'm level 30 and fighting level 34 enemies with skulls next to them. I went to do sidequests to catch up, but that only got me to 31 before I ran out of quests that aren't in that big white area outside Concordia that scales apparently with story mission rather than with player level, so it's full of super badasses that one-shot my shield and then my health. Other than finding a suitable map and grinding I have no idea how to catch up.

Join a random level 30 person's multiplayer?

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Pope Guilty posted:

Go back to Normal and play the Holodome is you have it? You should get a goood chunk of XP from that.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

AirRaid posted:

Go back to Normal and play the Holodome is you have it? You should get a goood chunk of XP from that.

I don't- is it worth the buy? From the marketing it looks like the Slaughterdome,.

Lanky_Nibz
Apr 30, 2008

We will never be rid of these stars. But I hope they live forever.
I'm finally jumping back into BL after a few months off. Does the CE drop rate thing for BL2 work for this? Or is there a different drop rate editor for the pre-sequel?

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Pope Guilty posted:

Go back to normal and kill Iwajira half a dozen times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

AirRaid posted:

Yes, I've had plenty of same quality grinds, tho I have noticed a higher rate of top results.

Huh guess I'll just name my 0 second singularity grenade "lucky" then.

• Locked thread