Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Awkward rear ends that look dated 3 months after you buy the car are kind of a Cadillac standard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Ether Frenzy posted:

Awkward rear ends that look dated 3 months after you buy the car are kind of a Cadillac standard

I always liked the xlr, it looks good in black.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Ether Frenzy posted:

Isn't giant and ugly built for old people just what Cadillac does?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

veedubfreak posted:

Isn't giant and ugly built for old people just what Cadillac does?

But I'm pretty sure their current design concept is the result of a concentrated effort to appeal to younger buyers.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
If I ran an insurance company, there would be an internal memo that all PT Cruisers are to be assessed as Category A write-offs, regardless of damage.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

xzzy posted:

But I'm pretty sure their current design concept is the result of a concentrated effort to appeal to younger buyers.

Designed By Committee™.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Is that... tinfoil? I guess DOT still mandates reflectors :v:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

InitialDave posted:

If I ran an insurance company, there would be an internal memo that all PT Cruisers are to be assessed as Category A write-offs, regardless of damage.

Especially if there is no damage.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?

InitialDave posted:

There should be a specific category of crush the car, burn it, and salt/cement it in place so that nothing may grow there ever again.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Rims, stick-on vents, automatic gearbox, mismatched paint, some poorly installed aftermarket seats...

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

xzzy posted:

Only works if by "younger" you mean "approaching retirement age" instead of the usual 75-and-over crowd that putter around in these ugly excuses for land yachts because they think Buicks are for poors

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Raluek posted:

Is that... tinfoil? I guess DOT still mandates reflectors :v:

Not just tinfoil, but wrapped around a tuna can.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Memento posted:

Wait what? That car isn't a convertible? What the gently caress?

Throatwarbler posted:

Fake vert top.

While it's ugly, it's not trying to pretend it's a convertible. It's a Landau top and lots of luxury cars used to have them.

Edit: after reading Wikipedia they say that they are synonymous with simulated convertibles. I always associated it with luxury land barges like Cadillacs.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Feb 3, 2015

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

GutBomb posted:

While it's ugly, it's not trying to pretend it's a convertible. It's a Landau top and lots of luxury cars used to have them.

Edit: after reading Wikipedia they say that they are synonymous with simulated convertibles. I always associated it with luxury land barges like Cadillacs.

Many years ago I saw a Volvo 850 with a fake convertible top INCLUDING the cross bars. Oh, yeah, it had a sunroof and the fake top was cut out around it.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Wait, 'simulated convertible' is a thing? What the gently caress? So you get the ugliness of a convertible with the roof up, combined with the lack-of-a-convertible-roof of a normal car? What the gently caress is the point of that?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

It's "aspirational". Because convertibles are a status symbol or something.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Landau tops are meant to replicate the look of chauffeur-driven cars from the days when your filthy Irish communist driver didn't DESERVE a roof over his head, but the lords & ladies in the back did.

But then they suddenly realized that Tom was getting all tanned and enjoying motoring in the fresh air, the daring-do of which combined nicely with his new bronzed complexion and led to a newfound gain of self-confidence, and he started dating their youngest daughter. One thing led to another.

So they flipped the arrangement around, but with the need to be able to put the top up in back in case it started raining.

It's a style that persisted through the "Fashionable Despot of the 70's" era of automotive history and had mostly died out, but then

Jay Z happened.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
I will always remember this thing.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
I see these like 3 times an hour no matter what channel it is. Terrible truck stuff:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3ezBdxByBg

quote:

With one turn of a key, the 2015 Chevy Colorado will change you. When you're behind the wheel of Motor Trend’s 2015 Truck of the Year, you sit differently and you walk differently. And suddenly the world is different. The world is yours for the taking.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4En6vsKVjVo

At least they're being honest about them being used to haul egos and massively engorged genitalia, I guess. But I thought the traditional imagery of stuff being dropped into the bed in slow motion and traversing a muddy trail were appeals to the fantasy of what you'd totally do if you didn't live in the suburbs and have a desk job.

mattmofob
May 2, 2005

DUCK
That is a great commercial and very inoffensive. Should sell a ton of trucks, to people who don't need them

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

iM A ROOKiE RiGHT NOW BUT i PROMiSE YOU EVERY SiNGLE FUCKiN BiTCH ASS ARTiST WHO TRiES TO SHADE ME i WiLL VERBALLY DiSMANTLE YOUR ASSHOLE
http://m.liveleak.com/view?i=b1f_1422764008

Boldly liveleaken, but in this case its just a tech who discovers that his customer has no wheel bearings and no break rotor, but is still driving the car.....

Neptr
Mar 1, 2011

Rugoberta Munchu posted:

I see these like 3 times an hour no matter what channel it is. Terrible truck stuff:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3ezBdxByBg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4En6vsKVjVo

At least they're being honest about them being used to haul egos and massively engorged genitalia, I guess. But I thought the traditional imagery of stuff being dropped into the bed in slow motion and traversing a muddy trail were appeals to the fantasy of what you'd totally do if you didn't live in the suburbs and have a desk job.

I thought it was the Fiat 500X that was making references to engorged genitalia

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
I thought the same thing about the new Chevy commercials. It's funny that they are finally being honest about the majority of people that buy trucks.
This one is just loving dumb though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzP2yzrKl28

I hate advertisers so much.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I'd hate it if it wasn't spot on. Can't count the amount of dudes in trucks with permanent scowls that drive like complete assholes.

My favorite was the truck I saw the other day with dual stack exhausts and a giant "TOUGH MUDDER" sticker in both the front and back windows. It was spotless. And not in a "just came from the wash" sense.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Protocol7 posted:

I'd hate it if it wasn't spot on. Can't count the amount of dudes in trucks with permanent scowls that drive like complete assholes.

My favorite was the truck I saw the other day with dual stack exhausts and a giant "TOUGH MUDDER" sticker in both the front and back windows. It was spotless. And not in a "just came from the wash" sense.

Well the Tough Mudder is a foot race, actually...

I hate trucks in the city.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Wasabi the J posted:

Well the Tough Mudder is a foot race, actually...

I hate trucks in the city.

I guess that's what I get for not doing research, but it's still stupid to see a giant fuckoff truck with off-road tires and stacks, and it's clearly only ever seen asphalt.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
I think it's safe to assume that the dude put the TOUGH MUDDER sticker on his truck not only because of the obstacle race, but because it would look kewl on his truck with mud tires.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Astonishing Wang posted:

I think it's safe to assume that the dude put the TOUGH MUDDER sticker on his truck not only because of the obstacle race, but because it would look kewl on his truck with mud tires.

Based on my Facebook experiences, only women do Tough Mudder anyway, I've never seen a guy talk about it. So big man, you get that sticker from your wife?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Astonishing Wang posted:

No, there's a pretty big intersection between the kind of person who does a mud race / obstacle course to be manly and tough and the kind of person who drives a big truck to be manly and tough.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Safety Dance posted:

No, there's a pretty big intersection between the kind of person who does a mud race / obstacle course to be manly and tough and the kind of person who drives a big truck to be manly and tough.

Some of us like driving trucks as well as engaging fun group fitness activities.

<-- F150 owner, enjoys Tough Mudder/Spartan Race/Etc. Doesn't really drive off road because he isn't very good at it.

All BMW owners are douchebags
All compact Japanese owners are annoying children
All miata owners are gay

Shuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut Uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuup

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Astonishing Wang posted:

Simplest answer is he's just pants-on-head retarded and thinks TOUGH MUDDER is a truck obstacle race.

Also that Liveleak video, holy poo poo :stonk: how the hell does a car even keep driving like that??

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

eyebeem posted:

Some of us like driving trucks as well as engaging fun group fitness activities.

<-- F150 owner, enjoys Tough Mudder/Spartan Race/Etc. Doesn't really drive off road because he isn't very good at it.

All miata owners are gay

How's that stroller?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Thread goes meta, man becomes own stereotype.

Ford and chevy rub their hands in glee.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Wasabi the J posted:

How's that stroller?

So what, now you're also stereotyping all people who buy $1200 strollers as being insecure?

When will the persecution end?!?

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Jan 4, 2020

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Whew, good thing my Japanese car is a subcompact.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

PCOS Bill posted:

Whew, good thing my Japanese car is a subcompact.

I was referring to small Japanese people that own cars.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

eyebeem posted:

I was referring to small Japanese people that own cars.

Not all small Japanese people are children. There's also midgets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

eyebeem posted:

All miata owners are gay

Giant truck owners are also frequently insecure and defensive