Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

lol mapquest still exists?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

theflyingexecutive posted:

they license their mapping data

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

they have a pretty decent estimator of fuel usage/cost along a route

Flaming June
Oct 21, 2004

yah i know a bunch of people that work over at hq in denver

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Flaming June posted:

yah i know a bunch of people that work over at hq in denver

shout if you hear of them needing any ops ppl, eh

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Nintendo Kid posted:

they have a pretty decent estimator of fuel usage/cost along a route

yeha, it's called "miles"

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

duTrieux. posted:

yeha, it's called "miles"

no they keep track of highway vs city expected usage and poo poo, including expected delays on otherwise highway usage roads.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

what functioning adult doesn't do that in their head

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
people who aren't autists

Flaming June
Oct 21, 2004

Jonny 290 posted:

shout if you hear of them needing any ops ppl, eh

they might since they laid off their entire technical department and only moved the managers when the PA branch shut down in November

they thought it would be cheaper to just rehire the entire department in denver instead lol

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

duTrieux. posted:

what functioning adult doesn't do that in their head

most people don't feel separately working out the expected fuel usage per mile of each particular road on an upcoming trip dude, much less have the time to do that for two or more different routes

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Nintendo Kid posted:

most people don't feel

same

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Flaming June posted:

they might since they laid off their entire technical department and only moved the managers when the PA branch shut down in November

they thought it would be cheaper to just rehire the entire department in denver instead lol

mmmm

big gamble, most people want their fuckin sky-high rent paid here now and are getting a little cranky about it

Flaming June
Oct 21, 2004

Jonny 290 posted:

mmmm

big gamble, most people want their fuckin sky-high rent paid here now and are getting a little cranky about it

doubly so because this is a cheapish part of the state so the salaries were on the low side for software to begin with

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Nintendo Kid posted:

most people don't feel separately working out the expected fuel usage per mile of each particular road on an upcoming trip dude, much less have the time to do that for two or more different routes

who even cares, a full tank of gas is maybe thirty bucks

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Main Paineframe posted:

who even cares, a full tank of gas is maybe thirty bucks

hmmm yes and we should all buy suvs right now because cheap gas is definitely going to last forever this time

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Misandrist Duck posted:

Earlier today it came out that Google is developing an Uber competitor. The two companies clearly had a falling out and I can't wait for the juicy details to emerge.

i was wondering how long it was going to take for someone to do this. it's only appropriate that someone is the goog

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Nintendo Kid posted:

hmmm yes and we should all buy suvs right now because cheap gas is definitely going to last forever this time

who knows! it might! you libs said cheap gas would never come back and yet here we are at 1.99/gallon, just like in the good ol' bush years. checkmate.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i filled up last at 2.19 a gallon

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

Sagebrush posted:

actually so did i, just today in fact. wow.

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
lol if you drive a car when you don't absolutely have to

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
^ I'm gonna have to agree with the jew killer on this one.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

JewKiller 3000 posted:

agreed. ride motorcycles whenever possible

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Misandrist Duck posted:

Earlier today it came out that Google is developing an Uber competitor. The two companies clearly had a falling out and I can't wait for the juicy details to emerge.

:pray: this will probably be bad in the long term, but i like to laugh at uber.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Misandrist Duck posted:

if antitrust laws were still enforced, this would get goog sued for monopoly abuse right?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Flaming June posted:

are ex-Quark people are running the show there? that's straight out of their playbook.

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Condiv posted:

if antitrust laws were still enforced, this would get goog sued for monopoly abuse right?

lol

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Condiv posted:

if they blocked uber from being installed on android devices, yes

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

JewKiller 3000 posted:

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka

Main Paineframe posted:

playpump was an idea to replace hand-operated water pumps in africa with spinny playground equipment, with the idea that they would siphon off the kinetic energy from kids playing on them to operate the water pump. charities and aid organizations loved it and tens of millions of dollars were spent on building them all over africa

except each one cost $14,000, the pump didn't deliver enough water even when kids were playing on it, tons of them broke down and the company was slow to fix them and refused to pay for replacing broken ones, and it turned out kids didn't like them all that much so adults ended up having to play on them since there was no manual pump option

The problem is people supporting dumb as gently caress NGOs founded and staffed by yuppies who want to spend a few years saving all the poor little black children in africa with which they inevitably pad out their CVs before getting jobs at Goldman Sharks and Bain of the earth Capital.

When you give money to charity make sure its to NGOs like Oxfam and MSF.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Condiv posted:

what? no

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i would imagine also that tying your fresh water output to "how hard your 5 year old children are running around in the African sun" might just be a net negative energywise

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

vodkat posted:

The problem is people supporting dumb as gently caress NGOs founded and staffed by yuppies who want to spend a few years saving all the poor little black children in africa with which they inevitably pad out their CVs before getting jobs at Goldman Sharks and Bain of the earth Capital.

see also Teach For America. even they have given up on pretending that they will keep Ivy League grads in teaching, now claiming that they are a "leadership development organization"

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

that playground equipment water pump stuff someone mentioned a while back is pretty cool. i never realized that water shortages in africa exist because the act of pumping water is boring

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
if those water starved africans would sign up to be uber drivers they could make enough to buy all the water they needed

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

fart simpson posted:

that playground equipment water pump stuff someone mentioned a while back is pretty cool. i never realized that water shortages in africa exist because the act of pumping water is boring

uh why don't they just run electricity to the pumps? duh???

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Sagebrush posted:

i paid 1.69 a gallon last week :q:

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Nintendo Kid posted:

"i get X mpg on the highway. i get Y on city streets. there's traffic, so i'll probably burn an extra Z gallons."

why would you need to get granular enough to have estimated costs for each street

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka

fart simpson posted:

Well since they all got broadband access getting people to do life sustaining tasks has become difficult since it just can't compete with posting lolcats on reddit. Perhaps if there was some way we could gamify this problem?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

duTrieux. posted:

"i get X mpg on the highway. i get Y on city streets. there's traffic, so i'll probably burn an extra Z gallons."

why would you need to get granular enough to have estimated costs for each street

well if you take THIS route you could potentially save up to .008 cents in gas versus this other route. those fractions of cents add up, haven't you ever watched superman 3?

• Locked thread